╌>

Military training plans Thursday will make history | WPBN

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  3 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   WPBN

Military training plans Thursday will make history  | WPBN
ALPENA, Mich. (WPBN/WGTU) -- It's a coordinated effort that will put Michigan on the map of military training. A portion of Michigan Route 32 will be closed for five hours as the U. S. Air Force practices landing an aircraft on roadways designed for cars and trucks. According to the Air Force, the plan is to land four A-10 aircraft and two C-146 aircraft on a closed-off portion of the road near the Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center.
Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    3 years ago

I got passed on the highway yesterday by a Warthog .....

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Sparty On @1    3 years ago

Brrrrrrtt!

Love them Warthogs

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

Yep, love that sound.   Especially when it's on target. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @1    3 years ago

Where I live is two hours South of Davis No than AFB in Tucson, AZ that has two squadrons of Warthogs. They routinely fly over my town on cross country flights East to Holloman AFB in New Mexico and beyond and can easily be made out, even at higher altitudes because of the twin contrails they leave behind.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    3 years ago

Yeah, i've seen that squadron flying more than once.

Back in the day Myrtle Beach AFB had a squadron of those.  

I got yelled at many times on the Golf Course to take my shot when i was distracted, gazing at them flying ....

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.1    3 years ago

I was stationed at MBAFB,  was there when the base housed A-7's and was in the transition to the A-10.  Amazing bird,  all gun & titanium bathtub.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.2    3 years ago

A-7's?  

Man you are dating yourself ..... that said .... us greybeards gotta stick together.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.2.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    3 years ago

S-3A Viking that I crewed in used exactly the same TF34 GE-400 turbofans that the A-10 does.  In flyovers, we sounded just like a Hoover vacuum cleaner.  Hence the nickname "War Hoover"  By chance did the Warthogs have the same sound?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2  Sunshine    3 years ago

Very cool.  Wish we could watch it in person.  Alpena would be a few hours drive for me but I would do it!  Very rare to see any military planes in my area.  Years ago a formation flew over my area and everyone just stopped to watch them.  My thoughts where how beautiful but also how blessed I am that I don't see that very often.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @2    3 years ago

Yeah, i think they purposefully kept it quiet until the day of so it didn't turn into a airshow but it would have been cool to watch it.

A buddy who's in the State Police was traffic control and got a front row seat.

Lucky bastard ....

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.2  TTGA  replied to  Sunshine @2    3 years ago

A few years back, when the AF Reserve and Air National Guard were regularly training at Wurtsmith, they flew a formation navigation exercise every day during the summer, and we could watch it in person, without even having to travel to Alpena.  I'm between GR and Lansing, along I-96 and they flew right over us, in formation at about 1,000 feet.  The flights started in Alpena and flew West until they were over central Wisconsin,  They then turned South until they reached approximately the latitude of Kenosha.  They then turned East and flew until they were over Eastern Michigan and turned North, flying until back at Wurtsmith.  En route they came right over our house at low altitude.  Really something to see (and hear). 

They were definitely A-10's Snuffy.  I'm old, but not that old.  They retired the A-7's a long time back.  We would be almost as likely to see Stormaviks or B-26's come over.  Actually, we did have a C-47 fly over once, but that was in connection with an air show at Ford Airport in Grand Rapids.  I got to attend it and saw the C-47, some B-17's and an A-10 close up on the runway.  With the Gatling gun in the nose, that A-10 was one bad ass airplane.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sunshine @2    3 years ago

I go to Tucson at least once a month and the freeway is right beside the takeoff and approach for Davis Monthan AFB where there always Warthogs in the pattern along with C-130's, F-16's and other assorted sundry aircraft. In addition, Kolb Road exits the freeway and cuts right through the middle of the aircraft boneyard adjacent to Davis Monthan as well as the Pima Air and Space museum on Valencia Road, so you really never know just what you are going to see.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.3.1  Sunshine  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.3    3 years ago

Sweet. All I ever see is National Guard convoys heading north on US27 for training.