╌>

Fish with 'human teeth' caught in North Carolina

Category:  Stranger Than Fiction

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  9 comments

By:    Jeremiah Rodriguez CTV (Canada Television News)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Photo of Nathan Martin who caught this nine pound sheepshead fish, which many say looks like it has 'human teeth.' (Jennette's Pier/ courtesy of George Craig)

TORONTO -- For most of us, the idea of a fish with human-like teeth feels like a science experiment gone wrong.

But photos of one has been making the rounds on social media, after a fishing pier company in North Carolina showed one angler’s recent haul.

“They're the fastest, trickiest biters. People talk all the time about how they can steal your bait really quickly,” Daryl Law, communications manager for the Jennette's Pier in Nag's Head, N.C., told CTVNews.ca in a phone interview.

“I think it resonated with the masses around the world because it kind of looks like human teeth,” he laughed.

The “nice toothy” fish was reeled in by Nathan Martin, a regular fisher at the pier,  last Tuesday .

Experienced anglers know the species as  sheepshead fish , and they’re fairly common to the area. The name of the species takes its name from the fact that its mouth appears to look like a sheep’s mouth.

“These animals feed on things with hard shells, like barnacles and mussels and crabs. And they're found during the warmest months of the year,” Law said, adding that their nickname is “convict fish” because of their defined vertical black and white stripes.

Law said these fish are a delicious form of white meat, which can be quite tough to reel in.

The Facebook posts of the fish – which had the hashtag #bigteethbigtimes -- have garnered plenty of online reaction, including one person cheekily wondering if it’s difficult for the fish to brush its teeth with no hands.

While another person wrote, “[I] wonder if they have toothaches?” One user simply lamented: "that fish has better teeth than me.”

Buzz Note:  The Facebook posts of the fish may be seen by clicking on the SEEDED CONTENT link at the top of this seed, which will take you to the original source article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

It has a lot more teeth than I do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Did anyone look at this before it gets wiped off the Home (Front) Page by political articles/seeds?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    3 years ago

Been a long time since I was to Nags Head but I remember the fishing pier

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    3 years ago

Parrot fish teeth tend to fuse together, some particular species always have that toothy gap.

They survive by eating the algae on coral grinding the coral for the nutrients and passing beach sand as a byproduct.

Parrotfish teeth are made of a material called fluorapatite which contains calcium, fluorine, phosphorous and oxygen, and is the second-hardest biomineral in the world. Fluorapatite scores a five on the Mohs' hardness scale, making their teeth harder than copper, silver and gold.

Tough teeth and parrotfish poop, lol

The oceans are filled with wonders...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @6    3 years ago

Bet you wouldn't want to be bitten by a Parrotfish.  I can hear it now:  "Polly wants a finger."

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 years ago

I did not believe I would find any incidents, but I was wrong.

Probably mentally ill with no Medicare available, lol.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.1    3 years ago

I was joking - but the fish wasn't.