╌>

Texas House Speaker Signs 52 Arrest Warrants For Absent Democrat Lawmakers | The Daily Wire

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  3 years ago  •  74 comments

By:   The Daily Wire

Texas House Speaker Signs 52 Arrest Warrants For Absent Democrat Lawmakers | The Daily Wire

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ByRyan Saavedra• Aug 11, 2021 DailyWire.com •FacebookTwitterMailTamir Kalifa / Getty Images

Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan (R) officially signed civil arrest warrants for 52 House Democrats who refused to show up for another special legislative session, thereby keeping the session from proceeding.

As The Washington Post reported:

Phelan spokesman Enrique Marquez said warrants were signed for 52 Democrats who failed to return during the fifth day of the House's second special session, leaving the chamber eight members short of a quorum.

The move by Phelan comes after the Texas Supreme Court overturned a ruling Tuesday "by a Travis County district judge that blocked them from ordering the arrest of quorum-busting Democrats, who were in Washington, D.C., for about a month," KXAN reported. "Democrats who are arrested would not face criminal charges and could not be jailed or fined. Law enforcement officers carrying out arrest orders by state officials could only try to bring them to the House chambers."

"The Supreme Court of Texas swiftly rejected this dangerous attempt by Texas Democrats to undermine our Constitution and avoid doing the job they were elected to do," said Renae Eze, an Abbott spokeswoman. "We look forward to the Supreme Court upholding the rule of law and stopping another stall tactic by the Texas Democrats."

The warrants are expected to be delivered to the House Sergeant-at-arms Wednesday morning.

"The 52 warrants represent all but 15 Democrats in the lower chamber," the Texas Tribune reported. "There were at least 11 present Tuesday. There were no additional new Democrats on the floor Tuesday after four returned a day earlier — and drew the wrath of some Democratic colleagues still in Washington, and prompted a renewed push inside the party to hold the line."

The Texas Democrats fled the state last month to go to Washington, D.C., in an effort to stop legitimate democratic processes from being carried out by the state's legislature because they lacked the power to stop the bills from passing.

The Texas Democrats then endured weeks of embarrassment after multiple members who traveled to Washington, D.C., tested positive after the overwhelming majority of the members had been photographed not wearing masks on private flights to the nation's capital.

The Daily Wire is one of America's fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    3 years ago

52 Democrats are about to get their [deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    3 years ago

Round 'em up!

Make them do the damn jobs they all told their constituents they WANTED to do.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

This is indeed good news.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

As soon as they return from their vacation in Brazil!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    3 years ago

Rather ironically, a Texas Democrat filibustered last night.

I suppose the sheer irony of employing a tactic you just decried as bad in DC and then employing that tactic is lost on morons.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5  Snuffy    3 years ago

I see the NAACP has asked the DOJ to investigate Texas now over those warrants.  sigh....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @5    3 years ago

Democrats are just throwing shit at walls, hoping something will stick.

They know they can't stop the special session from doing what it was intended for.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Snuffy @5    3 years ago
I see the NAACP has asked the DOJ to investigate Texas now over those warrants.  sigh....

Under a "normal" situation, the federal government doesn't have constitutional authority to overrule states' voting laws. But, the current federal administration is far from constitutional and "normal".

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
5.2.1  Duck Hawk  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2    3 years ago
the current federal administration is far from constitutional and "normal".

WTF does that mean? How is this gov/t unconstitutional and not normal? Plz explain your view in detail do we can discuss it. No hyperbole or lies just facts , TY.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    3 years ago

spectacularly removed for context

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    3 years ago

[removed]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.1.1    3 years ago

And now there are 3.

At least.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JBB @6.1.1    3 years ago

Nope, just the 52 loser grandstanding Texas Democrats!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    3 years ago

OIF.34XSBbx17hSu66Ub0We5LA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    3 years ago

And now his spectacularly idiotic post has company.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    3 years ago

Ve have vays of making you vote.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2.2    3 years ago

If only there was a way to make you stay on topic!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.1    3 years ago

[Deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
7  JBB    3 years ago

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7    3 years ago

Well, gee, you ALMOST made a point.

Only if the whole "obstruction" thing wasn't just a flat out lie.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    3 years ago

And they wonder why [deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    3 years ago

Texas and Florida could use  recall elections!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @9    3 years ago

You must be on the wrong article again.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.2  bugsy  replied to  CB @9    3 years ago

Why?

And be specific. The use of "my feewings are hurt" doesn't count.

CB
Professor Principal
9.2.1  CB  replied to  bugsy @9.2    3 years ago

I have unvaccinated friends and relatives on ventilators right now who spouted FOX NEWS talking points to me beforehand. So don't try it with me, Bugsy. The whole GOP scheme against vaccinations and maskings has little to nothing of significance to do with science or medicine. Moreover, the ridiculous statement you make about 'no feelings need apply' as I look at all the misery caused by viral  (Facebook, Fox News) SARS-2 lies and liars belies the fact that humanity is at least fifty percent feelings and awareness. Shut that part of yourself off and you lose an entire dimension.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @9.2.1    3 years ago

I am so sorry you are going through this pain right now.jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  CB @9.2.1    3 years ago

What crap!  Fox News commenters are overwhelmingly pro vaccine.  The thing is is that they do not support compulsion and coercion but people consulting with their family and doctors and making an informed decision of their own free will.  Free will of course being anathema to progressives. 

CB
Professor Principal
9.2.4  CB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.2.3    3 years ago

If that was true FOX NEWS could accomplish the same outcome just by shutting their daily Tucker/Graham droning. Some conservatives are so full of it. The whole "consulting with their doctor (which people will automatically do if they have a doctor or won't do because they don't have and can't afford a doctor visit)" is a trivialization of a world-wide pandemic and a inept talking point. And Jefferson, you bought it!

CB
Professor Principal
9.2.5  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2.2    3 years ago

I am fine, Paula. I did my 'part' and my best and now it is in their hands to do whatever they can to stay alive and get over (long) covid.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3  bugsy  replied to  CB @9    3 years ago

Not sure what you mean about Florida, but in Texas, you may have a point. The 52 idiot democratic lawmakers that bailed on their duties certainly need to be recalled.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.3.1  cjcold  replied to  bugsy @9.3    3 years ago

The Dem lawmakers were serving their constituents. I applaud their actions.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.3.2  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @9.3.1    3 years ago

What do you suppose he's compensating for with that overly large gavel?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10  Texan1211    3 years ago

Good news for Texas, the new law has been passed, and the whole dramatic show put on by Democrats has been for naught!!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @10    3 years ago

A win for having to prove voter bona fides to vote ..... how anyone can think that is bad thing is beyond me.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @10.1    3 years ago

Why my County Elections Board is no longer allowed to mail us applications for absentee ballots

under threat of fines, arrest or both is simply bewildering to me.

Especially since in 2016 and 2020 it allowed Trump to win

and in 2020 it allowed almost the whole GOP down ballot to win.

What the * are they hoping to accomplish by halting drive thru voting if the state government

accomplished it's goals in the past 3 election cycles?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.1    3 years ago
Why my County Elections Board is no longer allowed to mail us applications for absentee ballots under threat of fines, arrest or both is simply bewildering to me.

That's not what the law says.   The law says the elections board cannot mail an unsolicited application on their own, they can only mail applications to those who have requested them.  And the law does not stop political parties from sending out unsolicited applications so long as they pay for the mailings themselves. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @10.1.2    3 years ago

they automatically sent out applications for the ballots for those over 65.  I've been to the actual office and been on their website and they have yet to come up with a mechanism for requesting it.

The first year I requested it in person, they told us it was automatic.

Seems like another solution to a problem that does not exist.

I don't trust anything either party would send me at this point.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.3    3 years ago
they automatically sent out applications for the ballots for those over 65. 

Can you point me in the direction of that info please. I've been out to the Texas Secretary of State website and everything that I've read on that site say you have to request the application. It also seems to read that the application must be resubmitted every year.  I could have read that wrong but it does seem to imply that.

I much prefer the method used in Arizona.  AZ is a shall-approve state so once you request a mail-in ballot and verify identity it automatically shows up. And AZ doesn't put those requirements on it like Texas does.

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

• be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

But I just cannot find anywhere where it says that the State of Texas will automatically send out mail-in ballot applications for everybody over 65.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @10.1.4    3 years ago

It was by the County, not the state.

Tarrant County TX updated their site already to comply with Senate Bill 5.

I don't see an online sign up for ballot requests.

So now we have to printout the form, fill it out and mail it in. ( As people get older, just another chance to make an error )

Completed applications may be submitted by mail, contract or common carrier, fax, or you may submit by email a completed, signed with the voter’s original signature and scanned application to the Early Voting Clerk. 

Not entirely true anymore...

Under Senate Bill 5, it is now required for an applicant submitting an application for ballot by mail via fax or e-mail to also submit an application for ballot by mail via mail.  In order for a faxed or email application for ballot by mail to be effective, the accompanying mailed application for ballot by mail must be received within four business days of the submission of the application by fax or email.

WTF?  Why bother?

So faxing and emailing are a waste of time with the mail delivery being what it now is...just say it has to be mailed

or hand delivered or use the drop box outside the main entrance or use the drive through lanes -

oh wait, they too are now illegal to have.

We will have to drive past there tomorrow to make sure they are in compliance.jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif

They appear to have an online tracking system for applications received by any means, how nice, they even have an

instructional video.

It's petty and petty annoys me. lol.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.5    3 years ago

Actually it's unclear with all of the BS in October whether the county can still have one drop box or the House is going to remove those too,

As far as drive through voting which increased voter participation Abbot is opposed on these grounds

"With regard to the drive-thru voting, listen this violates the fundamentals of what — the way that voting integrity has always been achieved and that is the sanctity of the ballot box," the governor said.

"If you do drive-thru voting, are you going to have people in the car with you?" he asked. "It could be somebody from your employer or somebody else they may have some coercive effect on the way that you would cast your ballot, which is contrary to you going into the ballot box, alone and no one there watching over your shoulder."

Abbott also said bumper stickers that express political beliefs would violate state laws that bar electioneering at polling places because voters might see them when they're in the drive-thru.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10.1.7  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.5    3 years ago
It was by the County, not the state.

Thanks.   

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.8  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.1    3 years ago

Meh, i apply for one, show a state issued ID to prove voter bona fides and Bob's your uncle, one magically appears in my mailbox.

I guess my county is more advanced that your county .....

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.8    3 years ago

Meh, If you have to apply for it in person and show ID

you might as well just vote in person and show ID,

same exposure.

Just saying.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.10  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.9    3 years ago

Nah, one can show up any time before the deadline to request one at their convenience.    No lines, no waiting and can be done quicker than picking up a dozen eggs at their grocery.

No unreasonable imposition whatsoever .....  none at all  .... just saying.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.10    3 years ago

The whole point of mailing applications to "seniors" with known information and signatures on file

was to keep them from coming into the Elections office

or voting in person during the pandemic.

Making it illegal in the midst of the 4th surge of the pandemic defies logic.

But you know that.

I see my vaccinated TX Governor has tested positive while campaigning & fund raising in a maskless ballroom over the weekend.

The story is now, that he tests daily and this time tested positive, has already he received a "booster" shot and treatment

of Regeneron already.

I should be as lucky if I have to apply in person for a mail in ballot.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.12  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.11    3 years ago

The fallacy of your argument is that one doesn't have to "show up" anywhere public with their ID.   Not in Michigan anyways.   It's already done 100% by mail.   But you already know that and continue down a disingenuous path that it is nothing more than voter suppression.   Which it not.   It's only voter verification.   Nothing more.   The only reason i can come up with why the left hates to verify voter bona fides so much is because it makes it harder for them to cheat.

[deleted]

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.13  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.12    3 years ago

Please reread the nice adult exchange I had with Snuffy.

It's about Texas and different Counties and the new law which is to make traditional actions by the local County Elections office, null and void under punishment of felony imprisonment and or fines for the Elections Board people.

I never said anything about, nor do I care about Michigan laws.

I have never had a problem presenting any form of ID be it DD, Drivers license or Passport to vote or enter restricted spaces. I carry them all every day.

The only reason i can come up with why the left hates to verify voter bona fides so much is because it makes it harder for them to cheat.

And yet all of the prosecuted cases in PA for the last election were Trump supporters cheating.  You should worry more about things that are real rather than things beyond your control

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11  Texan1211    3 years ago

I am waiting for someone to point out the Jim Crow aspect of the new Texas law, and how states like Delaware are so much less restrictive!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @11    3 years ago

Lol .... details .... details .....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @11.1    3 years ago

Yeah, the progressives fall strangely quiet when pressed to say what is discriminatory or suppressive about Texas law.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.2  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    3 years ago

Why not? It is not like some conservative uncompromising brutes are going to give a damn anyway. Nope, you think to win by abuse. However, karma is a 'bitch' best served cold.  We will bide our time for now.  We won't become vicious lying political savages—sophistication and critical thinking will achieve its ends-ultimately

If you think "the fat punk has song" on this one and its clear sailing for Abbott from here on out. . . y'all got another thing coming.

TEXAS IT IS TIME TO GO BLUE! RED IS DEAD!

Abbott is a fool and he is going to severely injure your children. (Does Texas have federal medicaid?)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.2    3 years ago
Why not?

Probably because they can't. Otherwise, one of ya'll would have done so by now, as many times as it has been asked.

It is not like some conservative uncompromising brutes are going to give a damn anyway.

I suppose we'll never really know since not a soul will answer it. Unless you actually want to take a stab at it?????

Nope, you think to win by abuse. However, karma is a 'bitch' best served cold.  We will bide our time for now.  We won't become vicious lying political savages—sophisticationandcritical thinking will achieve its ends-ultimately

Abuse? now you are TRYING to be funny! Success!!

If you think "the fatpunkhas song" on this one and its clear sailing for Abbott from here on out. . . y'all got another thing coming

"The fat punk has song"?? What the WHAT??

Abbott is a fool and he is going to severely injure your children. (Does Texas have federalmedicaid?)

Do you understand what Medicaid is and how it is administered, and by which entity?

Abbott hasn't hurt any children. Please save the melodramatics for someone who may enjoy them.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.3    3 years ago

You gonna go arrest them?

Lol that was a joke, of course not. You are just going to complain.... and that's it. Cuz that's what you do :)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.4    3 years ago

Actually, and even more importantly, factually, enough of the pussies finally showed up to work to pass the law, so none of the pussies will need to be brought to the State Capitol.

Now you progressive liberals can just keep ranting about the law, even though most folks know there is nothing suppressive in it.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.5    3 years ago

[Deleted]
 let’s hear what he has to say.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.5    3 years ago

Come on Texan, let us know how it is in the shit. Tell us REAL Americans how things be. With all your hardcore experience.

bugsy
Professor Participates
11.1.8  bugsy  replied to  CB @11.1.2    3 years ago

So you can't answer the question.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.9  CB  replied to  bugsy @11.1.8    3 years ago

Wait for it. . . .  "Watch this space."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.7    3 years ago
Come on Texan, let us know how it is in the shit. Tell us REAL Americans how things be. With all your hardcore experience.

What the WHAT???

Be coherent enough and maybe I can decipher WTF you are rambling on about.

bugsy
Professor Participates
11.1.11  bugsy  replied to  CB @11.1.9    3 years ago

Well, here we are 17 hours later, and you still haven't posted anything to answer the question.

What is it we are supposed to be waiting for? Silence?

Well, if that's the case, you have succeeded.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.12  CB  replied to  bugsy @11.1.11    3 years ago

Only you would be waiting. . . .  I am more apt to suggest you piss off than I am to supply you with 'reams' of commentary just so you can blow it off!

But keep waiting and watching this space. I might (not!) change my mind. Who really knows?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @11.1.11    3 years ago

Just all about sensationalism and melodrama, no answers.

bugsy
Professor Participates
11.1.14  bugsy  replied to  CB @11.1.12    3 years ago
But keep waiting and watching this space. I might (not!) change my mind. Who really knows?

Well another 22 hours have gone by. Still nothing. Still not surprised.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.15  CB  replied to  bugsy @11.1.14    3 years ago

Keep 'hope' alive and keep watching this space, 'bugsy'!  Who knows when I might cave in from all the pressure you are exerting on me?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @11.1.14    3 years ago

You might as well wait for the moon to turn into cheese.

Probably get equal results.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.17  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.16    3 years ago

Since you decided to put it that way: Better yet: Try waiting for a horse's ass to talk. (Cheers.)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.17    3 years ago
Try waiting for a horse's ass to talk. (Cheers.)

Just did.

Thanks for confirmation.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Really? As if LEOs in Texas don't already have enough to worry about. Fucking d bag. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12    3 years ago

Oh, are you going to be pissed off over something that never happened?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1    3 years ago

[Deleted]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12.1.1    3 years ago

[Deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
12.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12.1.2    3 years ago

Just how does one get a CoC violation when replying to yourself?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
12.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12    3 years ago

I say issue an arrest warrant for him if he misses just one day no matter what excuse he uses.