╌>

Breaking : Republicans Caught Lying About Biden-Stephanoplous Exchange On Keeping 2500 Troops In Afghanistan

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  37 comments

Breaking : Republicans Caught Lying About Biden-Stephanoplous Exchange On Keeping 2500 Troops In Afghanistan
GS: No one says "we should keep 2500 troops, its been a stable situation for the last several years, we can do that, we can continue to do that" ? President Biden : No one said that to me.

This happened just about a an hour ago in the House Committee meeting on the Afghanistan withdrawal. 

Yesterday a few of the Republicans made a big stink about Biden being advised by military officials to keep 2500 troops in Afghanistan and alleged Biden lied about it to ABC News George Stephanopolous. 

Today that ploy blew up in the Republicans face

Democratic House Committee Chairman :  Since the transcript was submitted for the record we read through this kind of quick , but Mr. Stephanopolous says

GS : Your top military advisers warned against withdrawing on this timeline, they wanted you to keep about 2500 troops -

President Biden : No they didnt , it was split. 

Thats what the President said, he didnt say "no nobody advised me", he said "it was split".

and then Stephanopolous says 

GS: No one says "we should keep 2500 troops, its been a stable situation for the last several years, we can do that, we can continue to do that" ?

President Biden : No one said that to me. 

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1443266958644981765?s=20

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

The kindest thing you could say about the Republicans is that they deliberately mischaracterized what Biden said to Stephanopolous. That is the kindest thing you could say. The more accurate thing would be that they were lying, in a committee hearing, to try and discredit the president. 

STEPHANOPOULOS: But your top military advisors warned against withdrawing on this timeline. They wanted you to keep about 2,500 troops.

BIDEN: No, they didn't. It was split. Tha-- that wasn't true. That wasn't true.

STEPHANOPOULOS: They didn't tell you that they wanted troops to stay?

BIDEN: No. Not at -- not in terms of whether we were going to get out in a timeframe all troops. They didn't argue against that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

BIDEN: No. No one said that to me that I can recall. Look, George, the reason why it's been stable for a year is because the last president said, "We're leaving. And here's the deal I wanna make with you, Taliban. We're agreeing to leave if you agree not to attack us between now and the time we leave on May the 1st."

Full transcript of ABC News' George Stephanopoulos' interview with President Joe Biden - ABC News (go.com)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Either Biden lied, or everyone else around him is lying when they stated they told biden.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 years ago

Your boys got caught lying about the president. I doubt it will be the first or last time. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

Biden lued, figured you would be used to it by now.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    3 years ago

Your boys got busted. Dont make it worse by fighting the truth. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 years ago

dream on!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 years ago

Your version of the truth has nothing to do with reality.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.6  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.5    3 years ago

My version of the truth is the transcript. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.7  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 years ago
Dont make it worse by fighting the truth.

I believe Tex had the drop on you, Partner.  After-all, Biden lued.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.7    3 years ago

lewd ? 

goose is back
Junior Guide
1.1.9  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago
No. No one said that to me.

That is a flat out lie unless you think Austin, Milley and McKenzie all committed perjury yesterday. 

Professor Guide
1.1.10  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.8    3 years ago
lewd ?

Not sure.  You'll have to ask Tex. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.11  author  JohnRussell  replied to  goose is back @1.1.9    3 years ago

All I can say is you dont understand the exchange. 

The Republicans lied in the way they characterized Biden's responses to Stephanopolous. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

Republicans lying is only par for their course. 

The donald has always cheated at golf.

That fact (among others) has always made me distrust him.

He cares more about his score than the rules. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.10    3 years ago

Imagine a world where fucking ADULTS don't come unhinged over an obvious typo error.

Then imagine yourself inhabiting it.

Professor Guide
1.1.14  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    3 years ago
Imagine a world where fucking ADULTS don't come unhinged over an obvious typo error. Then imagine yourself inhabiting it.

Get a hold of yourself, Sugar.  It was a joke...and a better than average one, if I do say so my damn self.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.14    3 years ago
It was a joke...

Say no more if THAT was your idea of something funny.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 years ago
Either Biden lied, or everyone else around him is lying when they stated they told biden.

My money is on the one person who has been lying to constituents for 50 years.  

Biden claims he doesn't recall.  The fu@k doesn't recall what color shirt he's wearing.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Are you kidding me John?

What House Armed Services Committee Chairman Adam Smith focused on does not in any way contradict :

STEPHANOPOULOS:  So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

BIDEN:  No. No one said that to me that I can recall.

His twisted logic is laughable. And btw he abused his authority as chairman to try and save Biden's ass.

From Gregg Zoroya of USA TODAY:

President Joe Biden's rash decision   to quickly pull   U.S. troops out of Afghanistan   came at a terrible cost. He was fully apprised of that cost ahead of time – and in chillingly prescient detail. Yet, he did it anyway.

How do we know?

It was made clear Tuesday in   Senate testimony from Gen. Mark Milley , chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Biden's top military adviser.

Milley declined, as all presidential advisers do, to share his specific words to Biden. But the general made it easy to read between lines.

Milley said his opinion about what would happen if U.S. forces were too rapidly pulled out of Afghanistan had been formed a year ago. He told senators he never wavered from that opinion, up through and including when Biden asked for it earlier this year.

Milley's opinion? That a force of  at least 2,500 troops should remain in Afghanistan  until the Taliban abided by promises the group made in February 2020, when they signed the  peace agreement  in Doha, Qatar, with the Trump administration.

But Biden didn't give a damn. He just wanted to be the guy that ended the war in Afghanistan. When it blew up in his face, he lied to the American people.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Yesterday a number of Republicans accused Biden of lying to GS. 

Now it blows up in their lying faces. 

As usual.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago
STEPHANOPOULOS: So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

BIDEN: No. No one said that to me that I can recall.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

We can KNOW that Biden was referring to a "stable situation, and not the 2500 figure because he immediately says

" Look, George, the reason why it's been stable for a year is because the last president said, "We're leaving. And here's the deal I wanna make with you, Taliban. We're agreeing to leave if you agree not to attack us between now and the time we leave on May the 1st.""

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

I might expect that from another, but I expected better of you.

I think you should reconsider this one.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    3 years ago

Vic, give me the names of the GOP senators that complained about this that included Biden's words "It was split".  in their description of what he said.  They quoted the "No" part but they didnt quote the "it was split" part because they were misleading the audience. This is a lie of omission and as the committee chairman noted, very key to the whole thing. 

Even worse, in the second example

STEPHANOPOULOS:  So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

BIDEN: No. No one said that to me that I can recall. Look, George, the reason why it's been stable for a year is because the last president said, "We're leaving. And here's the deal I wanna make with you, Taliban. We're agreeing to leave if you agree not to attack us between now and the time we leave on May the 1st."

-

The critics claim that here Biden is talking again about the 2500 figure, but in the entire context he is clearly talking about "stability" "Look, George, the reason why it's been stable for a year is because the last president said, "We're leaving."

Which ones of the Republican senators mentioned that either? 

The Republican senators clearly misrepresented Biden to try and discredit him. And in a congressional hearing no less where the witnesses are under oath but the senators dont have to be. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    3 years ago

By the way, I am merely in agreement with the chairman of the Armed Services committee. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    3 years ago

You can't 'splain it away:

BIDEN: No. No one said that to me that I can recall.

He lied!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Watch this video

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5  Ronin2    3 years ago

Is there any depth you won't sink to defend the human fuck up machine the Democrats put in the White House.

If it was a split decision then he should be able to produce the military advisors that said to withdraw all 2500 troops- especially before getting every last US citizen and those Afghans that aided us out. Funny, not a damn one has come forward to defend him. They only exist in Joe's head.

He even fucked up the agreement that Trump had with the Taliban. It wasn't just "   Look, George, the reason why it's been stable for a year is because the last president said, "We're leaving.   And here's the deal I wanna make with you, Taliban. We're agreeing to leave if you agree not to attack us between now and the time we leave on May the 1st.""

Above is the agreement between Trump and the Taliban. Read through and note the number of times the Taliban have already broken it. It doesn't just say if the Taliban don't attack US forces then we will leave. Did Biden hold them accountable even once? He damn well sure isn't holding them accountable now by acting like the Taliban are his new best buddies. 

Of course Biden moved the US departure date to 8/31- which is another lie he told. He didn't even bother to negotiate it with the Taliban. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago
STEPHANOPOULOS: Butyour top military advisors warned against withdrawing on this timeline. They wanted you to keep about 2,500 troops. BIDEN: No, they didn't.It was split.Tha-- that wasn't true. That wasn't true.

The Republicans who lied about this yesterday, and today, left out the line "it was split" .  Thats a lie of omission anywhere on earth. 

goose is back
Junior Guide
6.1  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @6    3 years ago

It can't be NO ONE and Split at the same time.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.1  bugsy  replied to  goose is back @6.1    3 years ago

They don't seem to get that. Biden said both that no one told him, AND that the decision was a split.

What a fuck up we have in the White House today.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @6.1.1    3 years ago

When he said no one told him he was referring to something other than the 2500 troops. He actually explains what he meant in the exchange. You should try reading it sometime. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.2  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @6    3 years ago

So who are those military advisors that told him to pull all military out.....or are they all in Biden's....and your...head?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    3 years ago

It seems like the generals ALL advised Biden to keep some troops there.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    3 years ago

OMG .... stop the presses .....  Politicians were caught "stretching" the truth.

News at eleven .........

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

www.rawstory.com   /biden-afghanistan-republican-lies/

Fight breaks out in House Afghanistan hearing as Dem calls BS on GOP lies about Biden

Sarah K. Burris 5-7 minutes   9/29/2021

Republicans have attempted to twist President Joe Biden's interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos to say that Biden claimed no military leader told him to keep 2,500 troops on the ground in Afghanistan.

Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) paused the hearing of the House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday to quote the full conversation in the interview.

"I do want to make a comment because I actually watched the George Stephanopoulos interview," said Rep. Smith while Republicans tried to shout over him. "Joe Biden never suggested that no one -- I have the time. And what he said was you cannot have 2500 troops stay there in a stable situation. So, we should at least be accurate about what information was provided. I would urge everyone to look at the words and not take what is being said here as accurate."

Republicans insisted they "read the quote," but most aren't reading the full conversation between Biden and Stephanopoulos.

Stephanopoulos first said to Biden , "But your top military advisors warned against withdrawing on this timeline. They wanted you to keep about 2,500 troops."

"No, they didn't. It was split. Tha-- that wasn't true. That wasn't true," said Biden. The generals testifying over Tuesday and Wednesday confirmed that the advisers were split.

"They didn't tell you that they wanted troops to stay?" asked Stephanopoulos.

Biden explained "not in terms of whether we were going to get out in a timeframe all troops. They didn't argue against that."

Stephanopoulos read a full quote he said was from a military adviser, and Rep. Smith explained that it was clear Biden was responding to the last part of the question about stability. "So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, 'No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that'?"

Biden then replied that the reason it was a "stable situation" was because of the agreement between Donald Trump and the Taliban. The Taliban told Trump that they would stop attacking American soldiers if they withdrew. So, the withdrawal began and continued to ensure a stable situation.

"I got into office, George. Less than two months after I elected to office, I was sworn in, all of a sudden, I have a May 1 deadline," said Biden. "I have a May 1 deadline. I got one of two choices. Do I say we're staying? And do you think we would not have to put a hell of a lot more troops? B-- you know, we had hundreds-- we had tens of thousands of troops there before. Tens of thousands. Do you think we would've -- that we would've just said, 'No problem. Don't worry about it, we're not gonna attack anybody. We're okay'? In the meantime, the Taliban was taking territory all throughout the country in the north and down in the south, in the Pashtun area."

"I read it too," said Rep. Smith. "And I read it with a clear, open vision of what he was saying, not with a bent to try to make sure we could successfully have a partisan attack on him. He was asked could they stay there in a stable environment? That is it the option he said wasn't on the table. Not because it wasn't offered but because it didn't exist. And while we're ripping apart this three gentlemen here, I want to remind everybody that the decision the president made was to stop fighting a war that, after 20 years it was proven we could not win. There was no easy way to do that."

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
10  Nerm_L    3 years ago

Joe Biden inches ever closer to becoming Donald Trump.  Now what Biden says or how he says is totally unimportant, interpretation of Biden's meaning by the press and politicians is what is really important.

The question is whether it will become Joe Trump or Donald Biden.  No one is going to confront the biggest lie of all; Joe Biden really is Donald Trump and that is becoming too difficult to hide in the basement.