╌>

Movie Review - The Blob (1958)

Category:  Entertainment

By:  evilgenius  •  3 years ago  •  21 comments

Movie Review - The Blob (1958)

the 1958 film The Blob from the Criterion Collection is available to stream on HBOMax. It stars Steve McQueen and Aneta Carsaut. The film, directed by Irvin Yeaworth, is said to be inspired by a report of two Pennsylvanian police officers who witnessed something fall from the sky and when investigating found some ooze dangling from a telephone pole. The story says they called backup, but when one of them touched it the ooze evaporated. 

In the movie a meteorite falls outside of Pheonixville, Pennsylvania with the titular jelly inside. A young couple stargazing investigate and find an old man with the goo on his hand. Things start to progress from there where The Blog absorbs everyone it comes in contact with growing larger as it does. Later when Steve tries to report things to the local police they think he's pranking them. Undeterred Steve and his girlfriend, Jane enlist the help of friends to try and locate the alien substance.

The movie was pretty cornie even for it's day as the B film on a double feature with I married a Monster from Outer Space. There is too much exposition, no atmosphere and the effects are disappointing. Also this was Steve McQueen's and Aneta Carsaut's first movie and it shows. On the plus side the camera work is good and the color is great despite the strawberry jelly creature effects. 

Burt Bacharach and Mack David wrote the song The Blob for the movie that hit #33 on the Billboard chart in November of 1558. 

The 1958 trailer

The song and opening titles

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  author  evilone    3 years ago

I had some campy fun watching this last weekend on HBOMax.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  evilone @1    3 years ago

I saw this in my early teens and thought it was really funny. A few tense sections, but, the acting and the way the Blog was moving around made it more comical to me than scary.

Veronica
Professor Guide
2  Veronica    3 years ago

I have been kicking back with some old Hammer films.  Watched "The Brides of Dracula" on Tuesday - over the weekend watched other old Dracula movies (Lee & Cushing).  Last night it was the original "Salem's Lot".  

I actually watched "The Blob" on Tubi couple of months ago - also some really old creature features.  

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  author  evilone  replied to  Veronica @2    3 years ago

Nice. I was just saying the other day I'd love to see the old Hammer films again. I've been following the news on the new Salem's Lot movie by New Line Cinema, I have the original on DVD. I should pull it out one of these days and watch it again.

Veronica
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Veronica  replied to  evilone @2.1    3 years ago
I have the original on DVD

I have it on Blu-Ray.  I think Tubi, Amazin Classics & Crackle are running the old Hammers for October.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Shades of the Creature from the Black Lagoon''.

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.1  Veronica  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Watched that a couple months ago...I always felt bad for the Creature.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

They had to use two different creatures.  One had a zipper in the back and one had a zipper in the front.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

I thought the ending scene where they kicked the palletized frozen blob out the back end of a Douglas C-124 Globemaster II over the North Pole was pretty cool (pun intended)!

GregTx
PhD Guide
4  GregTx    3 years ago

I love the old creature features. My wife still watches Svenghoulie every Saturday night. I thought the reboot of The Blob (1988) was pretty good too.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  author  evilone  replied to  GregTx @4    3 years ago
I thought the reboot of The Blob (1988) was pretty good too.

I did too. There was another reported with Rob Zombie attached to it back in 2018, but then it was reported he left and soon after the whole thing went into production hell.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  evilone @4.1    3 years ago

The blob was the one movie McQueen did where he used Steven instead of Steve in the credits.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2  author  evilone  replied to  GregTx @4    3 years ago

The 1988 reboot is available to stream on Peacock. I watched it last night.

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.2.1  GregTx  replied to  evilone @4.2    3 years ago

Also on prime.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  evilone @4.2    3 years ago

The original blob looked like a giant purple bean bag chair.  In the remake, the real evil was the minister who saved a piece of it and kept it in a jar with plans to eventually release it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  evilone @4.2    3 years ago

The remake wasn't bad. Definitely some popcorn fun.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.3    3 years ago

I liked the scene where the blob literally bent the guy in half and pulled him down the kitchen sink drain.  Good holiday fun.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.4    3 years ago

Never try to use a plunger on the blob. Lol

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.5    3 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.7  author  evilone  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.5    3 years ago

It was a humorous use of foreshadowing by the film makers. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Watch for the next Movie Quiz, which will be limited to horror movies (from classic to current) due to the impending Hallowe'en.