╌>

Teen gets probation for offering to sell Black classmate as 'slave' on Craigslist

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   John Wright (Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism)

Teen gets probation for offering to sell Black classmate as 'slave' on Craigslist
An Illinois teenager has been sentenced to two years of probation for posting a Craiglist ad in which he offered to sell a Black classmate as a "slave." The teen, who was a 14-year-old freshman at Naperville Central High School at the time of the incident in 2019, must also complete 100 hours of com...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

an-upset-black-teen.jpg?id=27712417&width=1000&height=527  

An Illinois teenager has been sentenced to two years of probation for posting a Craiglist ad in which he offered to sell a Black classmate as a "slave."

The teen, who was a 14-year-old freshman at Naperville Central High School at the time of the incident in 2019, must also complete 100 hours of community service, after pleading guilty to two counts of felony hate crime and one count of misdemeanor disorderly conduct, Chicago's CBS affiliate reported Wednesday.

"The boy will also be required to undergo individual and family counseling as deemed necessary, and to submit a DNA sample to the State of Illinois," according to the station. "On Nov. 14, 2019, the boy took a photo of his classmate while at school and then posted an ad on Craigslist with the photo, and the caption, 'Slave for sale (Naperville)' along with an offensive racial slur, prosecutors said."

The teen's Craigslist post also referred to his Black classmate a "Hardworkin thick n*gger slave."

"Images of the listing, which has since been removed from Craigslist, sparked widespread outrage in recent days, reopening wounds for the community that is still recovering after a separate racist episode at a local Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in October made national headlines," the Washington Post reported in November 2019.

A defense attorney for the teen claimed that he was friends with the victim, who was also a freshman at the same high school. But the victim's mother disputed the attorney's statement.

"They used to be friends, they are not anymore," the mother told WGN, adding that their friendship soured when the white student began teasing her son, "calling him dumb, making fun of his skin color, saying 'Shut up slave.'"

According to his mother, the Black victim didn't know the Craigslist ad had been posted.

"He was the butt of jokes for days," she said, adding that her son was heckled by other students who told him, "I'll buy you for a dollar."

Watch WGN's report from 2019 below.

SmartNewsVideo

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Bad parenting. 

For those who may not know, Naperville is one of the premier suburban communities in America. 

Naperville Named Among Best Cities To Live In America: Niche | Naperville, IL Patch

Naperville Named Among Best Cities To Live In America: Niche

The suburb also got high marks for its public schools, housing market and more.

Posted   Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:49 pm CT
downtown-naperville___15224701592.jpghttps://patch.com/img/cdn20/users/22925010/20210315/104936/styles/patch_image/public/downtown-naperville___15224701592.jpg?width=726 726w" sizes="(min-width: 780px) 726px, 100vw" width="407" height="305" > Naperville came in third in Niche's 2021 roundup of the best cities to live in America.   (Naeem Khan )

NAPERVILLE, IL — Naperville has been named among the best cities to live in America in 2021, according to a recent study by Niche. The city was ranked 3rd in the nation, coming in ahead of Berkeley, California, Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Ann Arbor, Michigan.

To rank the best cities in the country, Niche used data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, along with community reviews. The study weighed such factors as cost of living, public schools, local amenities, job opportunities and employment rates, crime statistics, housing, diversity and higher education to rank cities with populations of 100,000 or more residents.

Niche's review of Naperville called the city "one of the best places to live in Illinois." Niche also mentioned that the city has a "dense suburban feel" and features "a lot of restaurants, coffee shops and parks."

In addition to coming in as the third best city to live in the U.S., Naperville was ranked as the best city to raise a family in America and the city with the best public schools in the country, per Niche's study.   Niche also ranked Naperville   the fifth best city to buy a house in America.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
"Naperville has been named among the best cities to live in America in 2021"

Maybe as long as you're white.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    3 years ago

Naperville is appx 5% African American

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

Naperville makes me think of what Canada's Prime Minister McKenzie King said at the end of WW2 when asked how many Jewish refugees he would allow to come to Canada, and his answer was: "None is too many."  Those infamous words became the title of a book about the time.

1. None Is Too Many: Canada and the Jews of Europe, 1933-1948 ...
  2. .
    None _ is_Too ...

"Detailing the country’s refusal  to  offer aid, let alone sanctuary,  to Jews  fleeing  Nazi  persecution between  1933 and 1948, it is an immensely bleak and discomfiting story – and one that was largely..."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

This is EVERYDAY racism. These things happen all the time. Not specifically someone trying to "sell" a classmate as a slave, but actions, attitudes or words meant to demean people of color. 

This kid just learned from the acceptance of racism by the adults that he sees. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago
This is EVERYDAY racism. These things happen all the time. 

Or.....  This happens so infrequently that the story has made its way to a national "news" outlet.  

Not specifically someone trying to "sell" a classmate as a slave, but actions, attitudes or words meant to demean people of color.

Equating these two may just be a bit of an overreaction.

This kid just learned from the acceptance of racism by the adults that he sees.

Never raised a teenage boy, have you?  

Teenage boys go through this phase at about this kid's age where they do shit simply because they've been taught not to.  It's all about the hormones.

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion of the punishment?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1    3 years ago

Will you ever run out of excuses? 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1    3 years ago
The teen, who was a 14-year-old freshman at Naperville Central High School at the time of the incident in 2019, must also complete 100 hours of community service, after pleading guilty to two counts of felony hate crime and one count of misdemeanor disorderly conduct, Chicago's CBS affiliate reported Wednesday.

3 plead outs. I'd say this is not teen 'hi jinks' or teen angst playing out - from the eyes of the law. Lines were crossed and the punishment meted out seems to fit (the crimes). The court could have been more lenient, instead it send a 'message.'

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 years ago
Will you ever run out of excuses? 

I will continue to advocate sanity and reasonable thought in the face of hysteria.  

I'm sure you'll want to describe it as "excuses".

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @2.1.2    3 years ago

That was my first thought, as well. 

It was incredibly stupid, well out of line, and the punishment seems reasonable.

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    3 years ago

Well, you can't fix 'stupid.' Just makes you want to stop, shake and wag your head, before moving on. What else can you say or do?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @3    3 years ago

Yep, "stupid is as stupid does" and this was a prime example to prove that Forrest Gump was not so stupid. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

100 hours of community service

I find this ironic.  He wanted to sell someone a slave to becoming one himself  when he starts his cs.  For 100 hours, his every move will be controlled and he will have to do as told while hopefully doing something that is physically demanding (ie - schlepping cartons at a food charity distribution center where I hope the boss is black).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    3 years ago
"...where I hope the boss is black"

LOL.  Thanks for my first laugh of the morning.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    3 years ago

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Why didn't they pursue attempted human trafficking charges and a hate crime enhancement for what he called the young man?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    3 years ago

idn't they pursue attempted human trafficking charges and a hate crime enhancement for what he called the young man?

Maybe because he's a freshman in high school  and  two felonies is already  punishment than you get for murdering someone in Chicago.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    3 years ago

He will also be under a microscope for the rest of his life. Think they are going to let anyone forget what he did? Since these are felonies they will be on his permanent record. No college, or business, is going to want him.

You are correct, it is nice to know this is considered worse than a deadly shootout between gang members in Chicago.

There is an outcry from the mayor and some Chicago aldermen after men linked by police to a deadly gang shootout in Austin last week were released from custody. Prosecutors declined to charge each of them with a pair of felonies, including first-degree murder.

The mid-morning gunfight, which left one shooter dead and two of the suspects wounded, stemmed from an internal dispute between two gang factions, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

New video from city pod cameras shows what police say is two people pulling up and opening fire at an Austin home. They ducked for cover as the people inside fired back. One person was killed and two others were hurt in the shootout. Three people were arrested.

Police sought to charge all suspects with murder and aggravated battery. By Sunday morning, a Chicago police spokeswoman acknowledged the suspects had "been released without charges."

The Cook County state's attorney's office explained that prosecutors had "determined that the evidence was insufficient to meet our burden of proof to approve felony charges," a state's attorney's office spokeswoman said, adding that police officials agreed with the decision.

But a police report framed the state's attorney's office's decision to decline charges in a different light: "Mutual combatants was cited as the reason for the rejection." Mutual combat is a legal term used to define a fight or struggle that two parties willingly engage in.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot and some West Side aldermen called on Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx to reverse her decision on the case.

"If they do not feel like the criminal justice system is going to hold them accountable, we're going to see a level of brazenness that will send the city into chaos and we cannot let that happen," the mayor said Monday.

Foxx said there was not enough evidence to support felony charges, and police said the people arrested refused to tell them anything. But Lightfoot, herself a former prosecutor, believes there's evidence to make a case.

"I think that there's evidence there. We've got videotape, we have a marked squad of uniformed officers who were on the scene observing it," she said. "At a bare minimum, the individuals who initiated the firefight must be prosecuted."

You can't make this shit up. 

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.2  CB  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    3 years ago
 An Illinois teenager [A juvenile] has been sentenced to two years of probation for posting a Craig[s]list ad in which he offered to sell a Black classmate as a "slave." The teen, who was a 14-year-old freshman at Naperville Central High School at the time of the incident in 2019, must also complete 100 hours of community service, after pleading guilty to two counts of felony hate crime and one count of misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Fulfilling his probation period without incident should help him have this childishly silly but significant incident remain sealed from the public record. There is no need to make comparisons to gangs (which we all agree are bad, dangerous, murderous, and stupid beyond belief - why do we tolerate them in our communities anyway?) which come with their own sets of court-ordered recommendations, programs, and decisions.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    3 years ago
He will also be under a microscope for the rest of his life. Think they are going to let anyone forget what he did? Since these are felonies they will be on his permanent record. No college, or business, is going to want him.

I think you may be wildly overestimating the attention span and memory of the American public. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  Jack_TX @5.1.3    3 years ago

No, just remembering the fun I had applying for college. I was bullied in junior high school and high school. I made the mistake of fighting back a few times on school grounds. Police were called 3 times. I was suspended all 3 times for losing fights I didn't start or want any part of. I was put both on scholastic probation, and probation by the court- Dad really loved me for that one.  

Little things like that don't look good on permanent records when applying to college. I wasn't accepted at any of my top college choices. Despite having high grades and good extra curricular activities. That was 30 plus years ago. With today's woke leftists; marks on a permanent record like that won't be overlooked.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    3 years ago

Good question

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    3 years ago

I missed the part about the charge of a hate crime he did get.  But there is still the question of attempted human trafficking.

squiggy
Junior Silent
6  squiggy    3 years ago

Wait til this kid runs for county judge.