╌>

Bill Burr Blasts NFL for Wearing Pink Every October: ‘People Are Aware That There’s Cancer’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

Bill Burr Blasts NFL for Wearing Pink Every October: ‘People Are Aware That There’s Cancer’
“All of this sh*t is gloom and doom,” Burr said of social media and the news. “I have one oasis, to watch a bunch of people have a ball and try to get it across the f*cking goal line and people have to bring up gloom and doom again. Why are they doing that?”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.mediaite.com   /sports/bill-burr-blasts-nfl-for-wearing-pink-every-october-people-are-aware-that-theres-cancer/

By Brandon ContesOct 20th, 2021, 4:01 pm 2-3 minutes   10/20/2021

Since 2009, the NFL has decorated its field and players in pink every October to raise awareness for breast cancer. At the surface, it seems like a nice gesture, but comedian   Bill Burr   doesn’t trust the NFL’s motives considering its grimy history.

“Believe it or not, people are aware that there is cancer and people are aware that people have died of it,”   Burr ranted   on his   Monday Morning   podcast. “I watch sports to escape that. I do benefits all the f*cking time for this sh*t. I meet people, I see them in the beds f*cking withering away.”

“All of this sh*t is gloom and doom,” Burr said of social media and the news. “I have one oasis, to watch a bunch of people have a ball and try to get it across the f*cking goal line and people have to bring up gloom and doom again. Why are they doing that?”

Many cancer patients   echo Burr’s sentiment   about decorating TV shows, news segments, and sporting events with breast cancer awareness paraphernalia. And for what? How much of the money spent on breast cancer awareness month actually helps to find a cure?

“They have had a sort of a checkered past when it comes to these things,” Burr said of the NFL. “Where it looks like they’re doing (something for others) and they’re actually making a f*ck load of money off of it.”

In 2013,   it was reported   that only 8.01% of the money spent on pink NFL merchandise goes to cancer research. Considering the league’s tendency to be frugal and greedy, it shouldn’t come as a surprise their cancer awareness initiative is more for show than substance.

“I’ve been watching the NFL and I’ve seen what they’ve been doing for the better part of half a century,” the comedian explained. “These are the same people who also knew the players were getting brain damage and they suppressed the f*cking information.”

“I’m sure their hearts are in the right place,” Burr said sarcastically of the NFL.

Listen above via the   Monday Morning   podcast.

Have a tip we should know?   tips@mediaite.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

One of my philosophies of life is "dont be an asshole" .

I try to apply it to myself of course but will also apply it to what I see people in the news do. 

Bill Burr, dont be an asshole. 

The NFL has been wearing pink apparel in October to highlight breast cancer for many many years now. My educated assumption would be that most people dont pay any attention to it while they watch the games.  I know I dont. It doesnt, in the slightest, detract from the enjoyment or observation of watching someone score a touchdown or make a QB sack . 

Is money raised by the NFL to fight cancer during October?  I dont know the sums, but I assume the answer is yes, and I assume it is a good sum of money. 

So what is the bitch again?  He doesnt want to see the pink sweatbands or socks on NFL players anymore?  

BFD.  Deal with it. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Bill who?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    3 years ago

To the best of my knowledge he is a very popular stand up comedian.  I dont follow stand up comedy much.  I prefer the 3 Stooges. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.2  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
Bill Burr, dont be an asshole.

Don't you know that's Bill Burr's whole shtick.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  zuksam @1.2    3 years ago

Do they laugh at him because he's an asshole, or laugh with him because he's an asshole ?

GregTx
Professor Guide
1.2.2  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago

I would think that depends on the individual. It's definitely his schtick though....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

How about he gets into the face of one of the NFL behemoths and start shit about him wearing pink.  Footballs are not the only thing that can be punted.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    3 years ago
Footballs are not the only thing that can be punted.

Snort!!

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    3 years ago
Footballs are not the only thing that can be punted.

Or thrown. Or spiked. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

Wow.  He seems nice.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    3 years ago

Does he get in a twist over "Hello Kitty" stuff too?  Jeez!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  bbl-1 @4    3 years ago
Does he get in a twist over "Hello Kitty" stuff too?  Jeez!

Neck and neck Snort!-factor tie with Paula's Footballs are not the only thing that can be punted comment.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago

In general, I don’t mind if sports helps raise awareness for important causes - especially something like cancer, which isn’t political. I think pro sports, in particular, has great potential for that because so many people are watching.

If anything, all the pink stuff is kind of hopeful. I’m not super old, but I am old enough to remember when breast cancer wasn’t something people were comfortable talking about publicly. Just the fact that society talks about it so freely (not to mention raises a lot of money for it) is a victory of sorts.

And for what? How much of the money spent on breast cancer awareness month actually helps to find a cure?

Well, this is really more to Burr’s point. Especially considering this:

In 2013,   it was reported   that only 8.01% of the money spent on pink NFL merchandise goes to cancer research.

Which is, frankly, shitty. They should be able to do better.

“These are the same people who also knew the players were getting brain damage and they suppressed the f*cking information.”

Yeah, it is maybe not the safest assumption to attribute the NFL’s motivations to altruism.

zuksam
Junior Silent
5.1  zuksam  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago
that only 8.01% of the money spent on pink NFL merchandise goes to cancer research.

That's more than the merchandise costs them so they're still making 10 times the amount they're donating and yes that's pretty shitty.