╌>

KELLOGG'S SUED - NOT ENOUGH STRAWBERRIES!!!

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   No Author Indicated

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

f1151460edb84fcd84222f6ba7f31f45_md.jpg

Getty

Kellogg's is trying to pull a fast one by hyping up the strawberries in some of their Pop-Tarts, because there's very few of the actual berries inside ... this according to a new lawsuit.

The breakfast food giant is being sued in a new class-action ... alleging Kellogg's is misleading consumers about what they're really eating when they bite into the toaster pastries.

A New York woman named  Elizabeth Russett  is leading the crusade against Kellogg's ... in her suit, she claims the fruit filling in Kellogg's Whole Grain Frosted Strawberry Toaster Pastries is mostly other fruits.

27ccfc36d6fc41feb23d74899c2128e0_md.jpg

According to the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, the Pop-Tarts in question are actually heavier on pears and apples than strawberries ... which she insists is not enough to provide the berry's nutritional benefits, let alone a strawberry taste.

Russett claims Kellogg's is using their packaging to fool folks who want a snack packed with more strawberries ... she says the damages exceed $5 million and also wants to see Pop-Tarts labeled more accurately.

We reached out to Kellogg's and they said they don't comment on pending litigation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

America is a PARADISE for litigation lawyers.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2  zuksam    3 years ago

Most fruit juice is mostly apple juice even if it's labeled grape juice, fruit punch, or mixed berry juice. I remember they used to sell Cran-Apple juice but now they just call it Cranberry juice even though it's still more than half Apple. I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if most jelly/jam contained apples no matter what fruit it claimed to be.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.1  zuksam  replied to  zuksam @2    3 years ago

I prefer my pop tarts unfrosted but I checked the ingredients and for fruit they contain "2% or less" of each of the following - Dried Strawberries - Dried Pears - Dried Apples. plus a whole list of non fruit crap. So that means they contain at the most 6% fruit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @2    3 years ago

Holy smoke. I drink imported "Ocean Spray Cranberry Classic Juice Drink". (made in USA) every day so I just went to check the ingredients. 

"Contains  27% fruit juice.  Ingredients water, reconstituted cranberry juice (27%), sugar, vegetable and fruit concentrate (carrot, cranberry) vitamin C."

Well, okay, it does have carrot, but no apple.  I guess by saying it's a juice DRINK it doesn't have to be pure.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.2.1  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    3 years ago

I've never had it but I've heard of carrot juice and always wondered how many carrots it would take to make a cup of juice. They just don't seem that juicy to me.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Hallux  replied to  zuksam @2.2.1    3 years ago

... about 6 carrots for a cup, but avoid consuming more than a third if you are on blood thinners like Warfarin which will go to war with the vitamin K in carrots.

shona1
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  shona1  replied to  Hallux @2.2.2    3 years ago

Morning hullux..that also applies to cranberry juice as well re the warfarin..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @2.2.3    3 years ago

Wooooo.  Good thing I don't drink a lot of cranberry juice at a time.

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    3 years ago

The really sad part is that people can buy this garbage with food stamps.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Pop Tarts are whole grain??? I don't really believe that, either

shona1
Professor Quiet
5  shona1    3 years ago

Morning..pass..They look about as appealing as cardboard... better off to go and buy a punnet of strawberries than eat that crap...

No doubt be full of sugar as well...

zuksam
Junior Silent
5.1  zuksam  replied to  shona1 @5    3 years ago
No doubt be full of sugar as well...

For the unfrosted type the largest ingredient is Wheat Flour but the next three are corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and dextrose. No doubt they use three different kinds of sugars to hide the fact sugars are the main ingredient. If that's not enough sugar you can get the frosted kind which is basically solid sugar on top. No wonder kids love these things.