╌>

Soldiers relocate Hawaii wedding so Obama can play golf

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  30 comments

Dec. 24, 2014: President Obama tosses a golf ball between his hands after finishing the 18th hole at Marine Corps Base Hawaii's Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course in Kaneohe, Hawaii. (AP)

Before they could say "I do," President Obama needed to play through.

Two Army soldiers reportedly had to relocate their Hawaii wedding over the weekend so the commander-in-chief could play golf.

Bloomberg reports that the Army captains, Natalie Heimel and Edward Mallue Jr., had planned to get married at the 16th tee box at Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course, on Marine Corps Base Hawaii, on Sunday.

But just as they were finishing their wedding rehearsal on Saturday, they were told they'd have to move -- to accommodate the president's round the following day.

"It was emotional, especially for her -- she's the bride and in less than 24 hours they had to change everything they had planned," Mallue's sister Jamie McCarthy told Bloomberg.

The couple reportedly ended up moving to a lush site overlooking the 16th hole, which one of the wedding planners said was more secluded and prettier anyway.

The White House may not have even known about the wedding in advance.

And after Bloomberg asked the White House about the incident, Obama apparently tried to make it right.

McCarthy told Bloomberg the president called the bride to apologize and congratulate them."Made their day," she said.

A source familiar with the incident confirmed the phone call to Fox News.

Still, the incident proved fast fodder for the president's critics.

"I usually say at least he isn't doing something harmful when he's playing golf..." Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., quipped on Twitter, linking to a story on the relocated wedding.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

McCarthy told Bloomberg the president called the bride to apologize and congratulate them."Made their day," she said.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

What was your purpose of reading it then??

Nona62
Professor Silent

I actually found it interesting,, as I had never heard of such a thing, so I thought I would share it, It's great that people are warned ahead of time that they may not be able to play.I did not post this to create anything.....I simply found it interesting!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    9 years ago

What kind of a human decides that their need to play golf trumps a couples dream wedding?

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago
It is an interesting story. I didn't see where anyone took a shot at the prez, just where someone was hoping someone would.

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol...Not to worrySmile.gif I know I didn't do anything except post an article, if someone has a problem with it, they don't have toread it. The headline pretty much spelled out what the article was about.Smile.gif Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Jealousy is indeed a very ugly emotion It sure is..

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Damn people, it's a story!!!!.

The Prez played golf on a military golf course, when he found out about the wedding, and how it had to be moved,he called the couple to attempt to make it up to them.

End of story.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
You don't ruin a couples wedding to play golf. That sort of behavior went out with the end of the ancien regime...Did Obama tell them to eat cake?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
Than he is blameless and it his staff that thinks he can act like an 18th century French aristocrat. The story I read made it appear that he called them and then went ahead and played.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Did you read the story Sean?

If you did, you choose to skip the part where he didn't know about the wedding. He called when he found out it had been moved. That does show some class.

As for ''behavior'' you surely should do a lot more checking on what presidents travels, hotel stays, home stays and vacations have interrupted or caused problems for people.

This is Nona's article and was not meant to be a political statement. Now, why don't you and the others that need to piss on it, take your crap and piss on your own article.

I won't comment any further, I suggest that you do the same.

Nona62
Professor Silent

everyone associated with that golf course and who utilizes it is put on notice that their game or event could be moved or postponed when the President is in town and wants to play the course. They also know that due to last minute changes in schedule the President could show up at any time

I did not post this for people to get up in arms about. I posted it because I found it unusual..(it's not something one reads every day) It's not meant to get into a Political slap fight over either. It's a shame that has happened.

Nona62
Professor Silent

so now they have a cute story to tell the grand kids. That's a great point of view!!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    9 years ago

I've said it before and will say it again, this was not the President;'s fault. His advance team, who get paid to build and de-conflict the President's schedule should have been on top of this and at least have known ahead of time and told the President when he expressed his desire to go golfing.

Very simply, some functionary or functionaries failed to do their job properly. I would hope if the President found out about it ahead of time he would have opted to go somewhere else for a round, but I don't believe the people that are supposed to know this stuff knew this stuff.

John, since when did you get appointed as the gatekeeper of what you decide is nonsense?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

So these are all stories on NT? Must get tiring trying to be thought police for not only NT, but for the whole country.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Agreed. You really can't lay the blame on the President for this. Good that he called them and wished them well in their new life together-there's a gift not everyone gets for their wedding.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thanks RW!!Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

John...I don't quiteunderstand what you mean by this....I suppose someone like you who does not make "political" comments occasionally gets caught up in it. And that is too bad.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

True, the operators of the course likely share the blame on this-it was a mistake and it was fixed and the couple got a unique gift that few will ever experience-a call on their wedding from their Commander-In-Chief. That no one in the planning of this trip discovered this ahead of time is amazing, as these events are all pretty well choreographed to the last detail.