Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

By:    Tresa Baldas, Detroit Free Press

Romeo man charged with spraying cops in Jan. 6 Capitol assault

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Romeo man charged with spraying cops in Jan. 6 Capitol assault

Tresa Baldas, Detroit Free Press

Wed, December 8, 2021, 7:44 PM

Eleven months after the deadly U.S. Capitol riot, a Romeo man was charged in federal court Wednesday with spraying police officers with a chemical during the historic Jan. 6 takeover and then bragging about it on Facebook.

“That was wild. We made it to the senate floor till National guard started fight back ... we F----- those cops up” the Romeo man said in grammatically incorrect posts on Facebook filled with spelling errors, as detailed in newly unsealed court records that included this post by the same man, one day before the riot: "I’m on my way to Washington DC. To make sure Biden’s doesn’t become president.”

Five people died and dozens more were injured in the melee, which involved scores of Donald Trump supporters who chanted "stop the steal" as they stormed the Capitol to stop Congress from certifying the presidential election results declaring Joe Biden the winner.

According to the Department of Justice, among those in the crowd was Tim Levon Boughner, 41, of Romeo, whose Facebook comments and photos of his face, tattoos and knit hat helped the FBI build its case against him.

Boughner is charged with multiple crimes, including engaging in physical violence in a restricted building, civil disorder; and assaulting, resisting, or impeding law enforcement officers with a dangerous weapon. He was arrested Tuesday in Lapeer County and made his initial court appearance Wednesday, when he was ordered locked up pending a detention hearing Thursday. That's when a judge will decide whether to release him on bond, or keep him jailed.

According to court documents, Boughner is seen on video footage among a crowd of rioters, spraying police officers with a chemical at about 2:30 p.m. on the day of the riot. At the same time, others in the crowd were throwing objects and also deploying multiple chemical sprays against law enforcement officers who were trying to secure the building.

More:   'What time do we storm the House?' Facebook post ties Michigan man to Capitol riot

Video footage captured Boughner spraying officers twice with chemicals — and he was quick to boast about it if his social media postings are any indication.

Later that day, authorities said, Boughner posted on social media that he “started spraying” at the Capitol and “f---- those cops up.”

A month later came more social media posts, though these expressed regret.

On Feb. 17, 2020, Boughner posted: “I have to share. My life has not been the same since this day … I still don’t know how I ended up on the capital (sic) steps having a pepper spray fight with the capital (sic) police.”

An attorney of record was not readily available for comment.

According to court documents unsealed Wednesday, the FBI used Boughner’s Facebook comments and photos — and those of people who knew him — to link Boughner to the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Here, according to a criminal complaint unsealed in the case, is how the FBI linked Boughner to the unprecedented attack:

On Nov. 8, 2020, just days after the election, Boughner commented on Facebook: “Trump 2020. This aint (sic) over.”

On Nov. 28, came another Boughner post: “All ex presidents get secret service when they leave White House. Trump won’t be leaving for 4 more years.”

The posts continued: “Stupid Biden will not be president,” Boughner wrote on Dec. 8.

Almost two weeks later, came this: “They have to keep us busy and blind on what is really happening in our country. I can’t believe I’m saying this but we are going to be at war. USA will be dealing with all the evils in this world. They tried to use the flu too steal our country.”

Then came talk of a visit to Washington, D.C.

“Are you ready to go to DC Tuesday?” Boughner asked an associate in a Jan. 3, 2020, Facebook post, adding: “I got a open spot if you want to go.”

Later, Boughner stated in the same conversation: “Never will there be anything like this again bro. Might even get lucky and stomp some ass. Lmao.”

Then came Jan. 5, the day before the insurrection.

“I’m on my way to Washington DC. To make sure Biden’s doesn’t become president,” Boughner stated on Facebook.

The following day, Boughner then bragged on Facebook about what happened:

“Tear gassed peppered sprayed guy got next to me got the rubber bullet. I grabbed a can from them and started spraying. I got it on video lol,” Boughner stated, adding: “That was wild. We made it to the senate floor till National guard started fight back.”

Then came talk of cops.

“F ----- those cops up,” Boughner stated.

Boughner's arrest was part of a monthslong investigation by the FBI, which had identified Boughner as No. 337 in its "seeking information" photographs provided to the public following the insurrection.

According to the Department of Justice, to date, more than 700 people have been arrested nationwide for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including over 220 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement.

At least nine of the charged are from Michigan, including:

• Anthony Robert Williams, 45, whose Facebook posts, cellphone and photos of himself inside the building led to his arrest.

• Michael Foy, 30, of Wixom, who is accused of beating police officers with a hockey stick. His attorneys claimed his actions were "legally justified" and that he was only trying to help other protesters who were being trampled.

Five other men — four from metro Detroit and one from Calumet — also are accused of illegally entering the Capitol, where scores of Trump supporters successfully seized the building amid debate over the 2020 election certification.

In the melee before law enforcement secured and cleared the building, representatives were sent hiding and one woman was fatally shot by U.S. Capitol Police.

Trump supporters have long alleged that their candidate was cheated out of a win, though there is no evidence of widespread election fraud. Claims of wrongdoing have been thrown out of courts across the country because of lack of evidence.

The FBI urges anyone with tips on the attack to call 800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit tips.fbi.gov.

Contact Tresa Baldas: tbaldas@freepress.com.

This article originally appeared on Detroit Free Press:   Michigan man charged with spraying cops in Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riot

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago
Eleven months after the deadly U.S. Capitol riot, a Romeo man was charged in federal court Wednesday with spraying police officers with a chemical during the historic Jan. 6 takeover and then bragging about it on Facebook.

“That was wild. We made it to the senate floor till National guard started fight back ... we F----- those cops up” the Romeo man said in grammatically incorrect posts on Facebook filled with spelling errors, as detailed in newly unsealed court records that included this post by the same man, one day before the riot: "I’m on my way to Washington DC. To make sure Biden’s doesn’t become president.”

Here, according to a criminal complaint unsealed in the case, is how the FBI linked Boughner to the unprecedented attack:

On Nov. 8, 2020, just days after the election, Boughner commented on Facebook: “Trump 2020. This aint (sic) over.”

On Nov. 28, came another Boughner post: “All ex presidents get secret service when they leave White House. Trump won’t be leaving for 4 more years.”

The posts continued: “Stupid Biden will not be president,” Boughner wrote on Dec. 8.

Almost two weeks later, came this: “They have to keep us busy and blind on what is really happening in our country. I can’t believe I’m saying this but we are going to be at war. USA will be dealing with all the evils in this world. They tried to use the flu too steal our country.”

Then came talk of a visit to Washington, D.C.

“Are you ready to go to DC Tuesday?” Boughner asked an associate in a Jan. 3, 2020, Facebook post, adding: “I got a open spot if you want to go.”

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

You can't tell me - with all that's been said by the trumpturd inspired domestic terrorist mob - that this wasn't planned - by trumpturd & company in advance.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  evilone  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

Inspired? For sure. Planning by Trump and Co to actually beat the police and ransack the Capital Building? I doubt it, but some of what I've heard merits further examination. There is more that needs to be known than just this question so it never happens again.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @2.1    3 years ago

Yes, planned - he was inciting them since he lost the election.  

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  evilone  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.1    3 years ago
Yes, planned -

They planned a rally, they planned to challenge the electors, they tried to stall the count and try to have rouge state lawmakers send new electors. All of which is stupid enough. I have not seen any evidence they planned any violence. If you have some that would stand up in court I'd love to hear it.

- he was inciting them since he lost the election.  

Incitement isn't much of plan. Planning in a legal sense requires coordination. Other than between a handful of groups like the 1%ers and Proud Boys, no one has been linked to any "planning" of violence. Those individuals have been charged with conspiracy to commit violence. Linking it directly to Trump would be huge news. I doubt that will ever happen.

Also incitement to violence is a very, very steep hill to climb legally in a criminal court. This is why some civil charges have been brought against those in charge of the "rally" and those who spoke at it. Still a steep climb, but much less so than in criminal court.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @2.1.2    3 years ago

I'm not going to agree to disagree here.  I disagree.

I believe the majority of those who voted to overturn the election against now President Biden were complicit in some way in planning this and also inciting this.  Top of the list is Meadows, McCarthy, MTG, Boebert, Gaetz, Gohmert

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.4  evilone  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.3    3 years ago
I believe the majority of those who voted to overturn the election against now President Biden were complicit in some way in planning this and also inciting this.

Belief is not legal proof. They're assholes for sure and certainly could be call out for some responsibility in inciting the 1/6 violence, but good luck getting anyone to file charges without witnesses AND hard proof like phone calls or text messages.

Just continually posting how you believe they are criminals make you look like those ranting into the same void about Hillary Clinton.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @2.1.4    3 years ago

Okey dokey.

I don't appreciate the last sentence of your comment, one bit.  I'm not 'ranting into the void'.  That's my opinion/belief.  If you need to have the last word, feel free.

I'm done here.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

FBI transcript says defendants linked to Oath Keepers went to Olive Garden for dinner after ransacking the Capitol on January 6

Kelsey Vlamis
Wed, December 8, 2021, 9:39 PM
eb9971cf945718bdd52b05246b14a859
Jessica Marie Watkins (2nd from L) and Donovan Ray Crowl (Center), both from Ohio, march down the east front steps of the U.S. Capitol with the Oath Keepers militia group on January 6, 2021. REUTERS/Jim Bourg/File Photo
Jessica Marie Watkins (2nd from L) and Donovan Ray Crowl (Center), both from Ohio, march down the east front steps of the U.S. Capitol with the Oath Keepers militia group on January 6, 2021. REUTERS/Jim Bourg/File Photo
  • A group of people linked to the Oath Keepers were charged with conspiracy in the Capitol riot.

• According to an FBI interview transcript, the group went to Olive Garden for dinner after the attack.

• More than a dozen people associated with the far-right extremist group are facing charges.

After the violent attack on the Capitol on January 6, a group of Capitol riot defendants linked to the Oath went to Olive Garden for dinner, according to a newly released FBI transcript.

The transcript was filed as part of the   case against more than a dozen people linked to the Oath Keepers , a far-right extremist group, who are facing charges such as conspiracy to obstruct Congress, obstruction of an official proceeding, and destruction of government property.

The interview was conducted in May with an unidentified person who was with the group on January 6, according to the transcript.

The person told the FBI that after leaving the Capitol grounds, the group stopped by their hotel and then went to Olive Garden for dinner. While at Olive Garden, the group discussed what happened earlier that day, including "a girl that was shot," possibly referring to   Ashli Babbitt , the rioter who was killed by police, according to the transcript.

The group also discussed veterans and President Donald Trump. The interviewee said one Oath Keeper talked about wanting Trump to invoke the   Insurrection Act , which allows the president to deploy armed forces within the US to "suppress rebellion."

4303ec29c3984f7dfa90e112021b9155
FBI interview transcript from investigation into Oath Keepers at Capitol riot. FBI

In the indictment against the defendants tied to the Oath Keepers, prosecutors said the group was  making plans to storm the Capitol as early as November , using social media to coordinate traveling to DC with weapons and tactical gear.

"Trump said It's gonna be wild!!!!!!! It's gonna be wild!!!!!!! He wants us to make it WILD that's what he's saying. He called us all to the Capitol and wants us to make it wild!!! Sir Yes Sir!!! Gentlemen we are heading to DC pack your s---!!" defendant Kelly Meggs wrote in a Facebook message on December 22,  prosecutors said . Trump tweeted days prior: "Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!"

More than 700 people have been charged in the Capitol riot   with offenses that include conspiracy, assaulting police officers, violent entry and disorderly conduct, and entering and remaining in a restricted building illegally.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

Storming the Capitol works up a powerful appetite

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

That's a big-assed Olive Garden ....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

For that all you can eat soup & salad.