╌>

Using AI to help solve code cases - interesting article presented on 60 Minutes on 1/16/2022

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  snuffy  •  2 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   Snuffy

Using AI to help solve code cases - interesting article presented on 60 Minutes on 1/16/2022

If  you get a chance, I suggest you look for the 60 Minutes article broadcast on 1/16/2022.  A retired investigator from the FBI looked into who betrayed Anne Frank and her family to the Germans. This was a rather interesting presentation. They used AI to sort thru all the various clues and develop new lines of connections and while the end result was not sufficient to guarantee conviction in a court of law, the FBI agent was quite sure he identified / confirmed who betrayed Anne Frank to the Germans in 1944. 

If they get this all worked thru and approved, this can be a huge aid in law enforcement to help solve the backlog of cold cases.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

60 MINUTES reveals new findings from an unprecedented investigation into the seven-decade-old mystery of how the Nazis discovered Anne Frank, her family and four others hiding in an Amsterdam annex. Otto Frank, Anne’s father, the only family member to survive the Holocaust, returned from Auschwitz with a question: Who betrayed their hiding place to the Nazis?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Snuffy    2 years ago

The premise is very promising - as technology advances, how can it help to solve old puzzles and cold cases...

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  Snuffy @1    2 years ago
The premise is very promising - as technology advances, how can it help to solve old puzzles and cold cases...

Technology seems to be advancing at a quicker and quicker rate.

AI is especially amazing (although it can be annoying at times-- that's how many companies know more about you, and your shopping habits, than you'd like jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Snuffy  replied to  Krishna @1.1    2 years ago
AI is especially amazing

60 Minutes a couple of months back showed AI and how companies are using it. An interesting piece of it was an advertising / commercial company in England who was using AI to create commercials.  They took two AI's and hooked them together with one creating a scene and the other finding the holes in the scene, allowing them to self-learn which is what AI's do.  The end result was the company figured that in a year or two the software would be commercially available so that anybody anywhere could create full motion-picture quality movies without any actors or sets.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.1    2 years ago

The scary part of that is there will be fakes of people to try to destroy them.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.3  seeder  Snuffy  replied to  Ender @1.1.2    2 years ago

Definitely.  In the 60 Minutes article, they took a 3-D rendering of the interviewer's face and then had him speak some phrases into the machine.  They then turned the AI loose, having the interviewer only type on the keyboard and the rendered face had the proper facial movements (mouth to lips to cheeks, eye brows, etc) and it sounded close to the interviewer.  They really didn't say how long it took to set it all up but from the way I remember it didn't take all that long. And it was fairly close to the interviewer...   

Gonna be a whole new world...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. It seems like really the start of a new way to investigate. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3  MonsterMash    2 years ago

Here's a link to the 60 minutes segment about Anne Frank

Who betrayed Anne Frank and her family? - YouTube

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  Krishna    2 years ago

I didn't know too many details re: Anne Frank. But I did know she was originally sent to a camp in Holland called Westerbork. Therefore I was surprised that she died (it was just a "holding camp", not an extermination camp-- I don't think anyone died there). However I later researched it I found she was transferred to other camps and finally died of disease:

After their arrest, the Franks, Van Pels and Fritz Pfeffer were sent by the Gestapo to Westerbork , a holding camp in the northern Netherlands. From there, in September 1944, the group was transported by freight train to the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination and concentration camp complex in German-occupied Poland. Anne and Margot Frank were spared immediate death in the  Auschwitz  gas chambers and instead were sent to Bergen-Belsen, a concentration camp in northern Germany. In February 1945, the Frank sisters died of typhus at Bergen-Belsen; their bodies were thrown into a mass grave. Several weeks later, on April 15, 1945, British forces liberated the camp.