╌>

Virginia Republican Delegate Has Had It With Democrats Saying Every Disagreement Is Racism: "Not This Time"

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  2 years ago  •  18 comments

By:   Tim Hains

Virginia Republican Delegate Has Had It With Democrats Saying Every Disagreement Is Racism: "Not This Time"
But just so I'm very clear: Will I be nice this session, I would certainly like to be, but I am not about to sit here and listen to that, Mr. Speaker, and then go home to my constituents and have them ask me, why didn't you stand up and defend us. So let's have a robust policy discussion, but if you're going to question the faith and the intentions of anybody who happens to disagree with you on policy, then you don't get to lecture us on compassion and tolerance or an open debate.

We only lost in Virginia because Americans are racist

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Republican Delegate Nick Freitas of Culpeper commented Wednesday to Virginia Democrats: "If you're going to question the faith and the intentions of anybody who happens to disagree with you on policy, then you don't get to lecture us on compassion and tolerance or an open debate."

"I'm keeping a running tally of this session, we're not very far into it, and almost every day someone on the other side of the aisle gets up and either subtly, or comes right out and suggests, that if you don't agree with them on policy, well then you're not a Christian, you're a sexist, you're a bigot, you're a racist," he said.

NICK FREITAS: I was asked by a colleague of mine on the other side of the aisle, someone I actually deeply respect, and she asked me, was I going to be 'nice' this session?

And I thought it was an interesting question. I don't particularly think of myself as an un-nice person, but I can see how sometimes people would see that differently.

You know what I've never done, Mr. Speaker? I've never gone on this floor and challenged the faith of an elected official because I disagreed with them on policy. I've never gone on this floor and suggested that the other side of the aisle were racists because they didn't agree with my particular policy positions. I've never suggested they were sexists because they disagreed with a particular policy position.

But I'm keeping a running tally of this session, we're not very far into it, and almost every day someone on the other side of the aisle gets up and either subtly, or comes right out and suggests that if you don't agree with them on policy, well then you're not a Christian, you're a sexist, you're a bigot, you're a racist.

But the moment someone actually stands up and says, wait a second, no, I'm not going to accept that. If you want to debate me on the merits of our particular policies, I'm happy to have that discussion, but the moment you claim with no evidence other than you don't agree on a particular policy position, the moment you claim that makes us racists or sexists or bigoted.

I've got news, Mr. Speaker: This was tried during the election cycle. You had a lot of parents coming to their local elected officials asking questions about what was going on in their schools, and the initial response was it is not there. And then when they saw evidence that it was, based on what their kids were saying to then, and they went back and reissued the concern, they were told you must be a racist. Because that has been the repeated narrative coming from certain members of the other side of the aisle.

There have been a lot of times we sat here politely and just took it. Mr. Speaker, not this time. I'm tired of it, my constituents are tired of it.

Because when these claims are made, they're not just made against Gov. Youngkin, they're not just made against us, they're made in part against the people that elected to send us here.

And I don't know a single person in this chamber that I would define as racist or sexist or bigoted. We have very different ideas about how to get to articular end states where all Virginians can be happy, healthy, prosperous, and free.

But just so I'm very clear: Will I be nice this session, I would certainly like to be, but I am not about to sit here and listen to that, Mr. Speaker, and then go home to my constituents and have them ask me, why didn't you stand up and defend us.

So let's have a robust policy discussion, but if you're going to question the faith and the intentions of anybody who happens to disagree with you on policy, then you don't get to lecture us on compassion and tolerance or an open debate.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    2 years ago

Restoring Civility

Gary VarvelJanuary 27, 2022
gv012722dAPR-780x557.jpg

See more Varvel toons HERE.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    2 years ago

[removed]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

So cartoon of Biden getting mouth washed out with soap for saying "Son of a bitch" is on topic but pointing out that Trump also used the exact same words is off topic? So the author is allowed to open the door with his own post then call any reply to it off topic?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  JBB  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.2    2 years ago

Yes. It is bullshit, but that is the way it is...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.2    2 years ago

It is because we are talking about civility, a lost art among elected democrats nationwide.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    2 years ago

The topic is restoring civility to discussion and calling out use of cancel culture and the race card to silence others for policy disagreements.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    2 years ago
The topic is restoring civility to discussion and calling out use of cancel culture and the race card to silence others for policy disagreements.

So why post a cartoon of Biden getting his mouth washed out with soap? Or is that about "restoring civility" which would of course clearly include the lack of it under Trump and how strange it is now that Trump supporters would be self righteously calling for a return to it only now. Right wing conservative hypocrisy truly knows no bounds.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.1    2 years ago

Thanks for proving the point of the delegate from Virginia!  You have no evidence of GOP delegates, assembly persons, state senators, congress persons or US Senators calling democrats racist, bigots, sexist, or any other such put down over simple disagreements over ideas and policies.  Democrats do it to us for no reason almost every day.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.2    2 years ago
You have no evidence of GOP delegates, assembly persons, state senators, congress persons or US Senators calling democrats racist, bigots, sexist, or any other such put down over simple disagreements over ideas and policies.

My disagreement was with the fact you posted a cartoon ridiculing Biden for saying "Son of a Bitch". This opened the proverbial door to my reply with your clear hero Trump using the exact same words.

Trying now to swing back the topic to some fantasy reverse racism because Democrats have called out Republicans for being the least diverse political party is just silly. Right wing white conservative Christians clearly favor white Christian conservative positions. They vociferously defend their Mango Mussolini who clearly supported open bigotry, defended confederate monuments, defended those waving the confederate flags along side swastika flags, all while marching with tiki torches shouting "Jews will not replace us!" all to protect right wing conservative Christian ideology and/or values.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.3    2 years ago

The GOP is a multi racial working and middle class generally pro theistic coalition of members.    

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    2 years ago
"If you're going to question the faith and the intentions of anybody who happens to disagree with you on policy, then you don't get to lecture us on compassion and tolerance or an open debate."

"I'm keeping a running tally of this session, we're not very far into it, and almost every day someone on the other side of the aisle gets up and either subtly, or comes right out and suggests, that if you don't agree with them on policy, well then you're not a Christian, you're a sexist, you're a bigot, you're a racist," he said.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    2 years ago
You know what I've never done, Mr. Speaker? I've never gone on this floor and challenged the faith of an elected official because I disagreed with them on policy. I've never gone on this floor and suggested that the other side of the aisle were racists because they didn't agree with my particular policy positions. I've never suggested they were sexists because they disagreed with a particular policy position.

But I'm keeping a running tally of this session, we're not very far into it,

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    2 years ago
and almost every day someone on the other side of the aisle gets up and either subtly, or comes right out and suggests that if you don't agree with them on policy, well then you're not a Christian, you're a sexist, you're a bigot, you're a racist.

Thanks go to Real Clear Politics for this article because this is a universal democrat problem not just confined to Virginia.  It is the go to tactic of progressives everywhere 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3  seeder  XXJefferson51    2 years ago

Civility in any discussion of American politics, economics, religion, social issue depends upon one side not being permitted to assume that the other is racist, misogynist, unchristian, or bigots over simply disagreeing as to the best methods to make life better for the American people.   People who do that need to be exposed and called out for it every time they use such poisonous rhetoric 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    2 years ago

Accusing someone of racism, sexism, or some other form of bigotry shouldn’t be entirely off the table. If you can support the accusation with direct evidence, then the accusation may have merit. But just making the accusation to silence the other side is now a common practice that has been tolerated for too long.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @4    2 years ago
But just making the accusation to silence the other side is now a common practice that has been tolerated for too long.

That is the bottom line here.  This has been happening far too often in far too many places and can no longer be tolerated or let stand unconfronted.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @4    2 years ago

This is typical of their “dialogue”

05-riot-fire-li-600-600x422.jpg

Credit: Political Cartoon by A.F. Branco ©2020. See more cartoons at ComicallyIncorrect.com