╌>

Trump praised South Dakota's attorney general, who is facing impeachment after killing a man with his car

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  2 years ago  •  27 comments

By:   Bill Bostock, Business Insider

Trump praised South Dakota's attorney general, who is facing impeachment after killing a man with his car

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Bill Bostock

Mon, January 31, 2022, 6:05 AM

157f9647c83adec8df7df3b03291d9b8

Former President Donald at a January 29, 2022, rally in Conroe, Texas. Sergio Flores/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
  • Trump praised South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg at a rally Saturday.

• Ravnsborg killed Joe Boever, 55, with his car in 2020, sparking legal and political repercussions.

• Ravnsborg struck a plea deal and paid a $500 fine, but is facing impeachment in South Dakota.

Former President Donald Trump praised South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg during a rally on Saturday.

"Thank you for being here. Appreciate it," Trump   said to Ravnsborg , who was part of the crowd at the Save America rally in Conroe, Texas.

"They like you in Texas."

Back in South Dakota, Ravnsborg is facing widespread criticism and his   popularity is extremely low.

On September 12, 2020,   Ravnsborg struck and killed a 55-year-old man named Joe Boever with his car   while driving through North Dakota. He pleaded no contest in a criminal trial as part of a plea deal that resulted in a $500 fine.

The death also led   to the first ever impeachment proceeding in South Dakota . Those proceedings were put on hold while Ravnsborg's criminal case was active, but resumed in mid-January.

Ravnsborg told investigators with the North Dakota Bureau of Investigation that he thought Boever was a deer, and only discovered it was a human when he returned to the site of the collision the next day.

Investigators found that explanation implausible , saying Boever's DNA was found on the car's windshield and that Boever's glasses were found inside Ravnsborg's car.

"His face was in your windshield, Jason. Think about that," a detective told him   during a September 30 interrogation .

Ravnsborg   admitted that he was reading a news story about Hunter Biden   while driving.

He was initially charged with three second-class misdemeanors, but pleaded no contest and   struck a plea deal in August 2021   which saw him pay $500 for two misdemeanor charges. The third was dropped.

Ravnsborg has since settled a case for damages with Boever's widow.

Despite the scandal, Ravnsborg is seeking reelection as attorney general in the 2022 Republican Party primary.

Read the original article on   Business Insider

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

Ravnsborg told investigators with the North Dakota Bureau of Investigation that he thought Boever was a deer, and only discovered it was a human when he returned to the site of the collision the next day.

Investigators found that explanation implausible   , saying Boever's DNA was found on the car's windshield and that Boever's glasses were found inside Ravnsborg's car.

"His face was in your windshield, Jason. Think about that," a detective told him      during a September 30 interrogation   .

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1    2 years ago

So tell us - What did Trump praise Ravnsborg for?

He certainly didn't praise him for hitting somebody with his car.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 years ago

Scumbags support scumbags.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    2 years ago

Who do you mean?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    2 years ago

As I recall, Trump also praised Kim Jong-un.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.3    2 years ago

He's praised a lot of scumbags.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.3    2 years ago

He also claimed they were in love with each other.  (Picture a puking emoji)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.3    2 years ago

And Putin, many, many times and Erdogan and Xi.

He flatters and expects flattery in return as if that matters.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 years ago
What did Trump praise Ravnsborg for?

He praised the Republican proven hit-and-run killer for attending his rally and told him he appreciated it.

I think it's rather humorous that Republicans would rally behind this guy who fled the scene of a deadly accident, didn't report it to authorities and didn't return to the scene of the crime till the next day thus guaranteeing there is no record of what his actual blood alcohol level was at the time of the accident yet there are still some conservative Republicans who like to bring up Chappaquiddick and shake their heads with faux righteous indignation 53 years later. Republican hypocrisy truly knows no bounds.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.7    2 years ago

"He praised the Republican proven hit-and-run killer for attending his rally and told him he appreciated it.

I think it's rather humorous that Republicans would rally behind this guy who fled the scene of a deadly accident, didn't report it to authorities and didn't return to the scene of the crime till the next day thus guaranteeing there is no record of what his actual blood alcohol level was at the time of the accident yet there are still some conservative Republicans who like to bring up Chappaquiddick and shake their heads with faux righteous indignation 53 years later. Republican hypocrisy truly knows no bounds."

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.7    2 years ago

Yeah now HERE is some over the top praise!!!!!

"Thank you for being here. Appreciate it," Trump said to Ravnsborg , who was part of the crowd at the Save America rally in Conroe, Texas. "They like you in Texas."

/S

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

Ravnsborg is such a scumbag.  No wonder trumpturd gave him a shout out.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

This scumbag killed a man and then lied about it.  He's the Attorney General FFS.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

It's a simple question?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 years ago

I don't really see "thank you for being here. They love you in Texas" as "praise".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.3    2 years ago

[deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5  Just Jim NC TttH    2 years ago

This thread deleted for being off topic. Stay on topic, only warning.[ph]

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    2 years ago

So he gets only a 500 dollar fine?

Want to bet any average Joe would be in jail....

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7  Split Personality    2 years ago

North Dakota defines distracted driving as “taking eyes, hands, or mental attention away from driving” and cites it as a common contributing factor in most car accidents and close calls in this state.  

In fact, the state points out that distracted drivers are six times more likely to crash their vehicles than drunk drivers.

Common distractions include:

• Daydreaming
  • Grooming
  • Eating or drinking
  • Reading
  • Viewing a map or navigation system
  • Adjusting the radio or A/C
  • Separating feuding children

North Dakota feels that while driver distractions are the cause of most accidents in this state, it's impossible to get accurate numbers because proving it often requires admission by the driver. For this reason, this state does not collect distracted driving data.

North Dakota’s statewide distracted driving law currently states:

• Text messaging, emailing, and instant messaging are prohibited for all drivers.
  • Accessing  web pages while driving is prohibited.
  • Drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using electronic communication devices, including cell phones, even if in hands-free mode.

And this state has a general distracted driving law that allows law enforcement officers to tack an additional charge onto a moving violation if a driver fails to keep the vehicle under control while distracted.

North Dakota does make exceptions, allowing:

• Reading, selecting, or entering a telephone number, an extension number or a voice mail retrieval code into an electronic device for the purpose of initiating or receiving a phone call.
  • Inputting, selecting, or reading information on a global positioning system (GPS) or other navigational device.
  • Using a device that is capable of performing multiple functions, such as fleet management systems, dispatching devices, phones, CB radios, music players, or similar devices, for a purpose that is not otherwise prohibited.
  • Texting using voice-to-text hands-free technology

Plus, drivers of authorized emergency vehicles are exempt from the state’s distracted driving laws while on the job. And drivers under 18 are permitted to use their cellular phones if they are doing so to contact law enforcement or emergency services to:

• Report a traffic accident
  • Report a medical emergency
  • Report a serious traffic hazard
  • Prevent a crime that is about to be committed
  • Get help if they reasonably believe that someone’s life or safety is in immediate danger

The penalties for a distracted driving citation in North Dakota are as follows:

• For 14- and 15-year-olds: $20 fine plus 4 points on your driving record
  • For 16- and 17-year-olds:   $20 fine with no points on your driving record
  • For 18 and older: $100 fine and no points on your driving record

That's it.

North Dakota's Distracted Driving Laws: Your Guide | Trusted Choice

Depending on the circumstances, a North Dakota motorist who causes the death of another person while behind the wheel could face vehicular homicide, negligent homicide, manslaughter, or murder charges. Here's how North Dakota defines these four offenses.

• Vehicular homicide.  Criminal vehicular homicide is defined as causing the death of another person while driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol in violation of  North Dakota's DUI laws . A person who has a  blood alcohol concentration  (BAC) of  .08% or more  or is impaired by drugs or alcohol to a degree that renders the person incapable of safely driving is considered "under the influence."

Negligent homicide.  A motorist can be convicted of negligent homicide for causing the death of another person while driving in a "negligent" manner. Basically, a person acts with negligence by  unknowingly  doing or failing to do something that creates a substantial risk to others. The risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would use in like circumstances.

Manslaughter.   A motorist who kills another person while driving "recklessly" can be charged with manslaughter. Basically, a person acts with recklessness by   knowingly   doing or failing to do something that creates a substantial risk to others; in other words, the motorist is aware of but disregards the risk. The risk must also be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would use in like circumstances.

Murder.   A motorist can be convicted of murder for causing the death of another person while driving in a manner that shows "extreme indifference to the value of human life."

The difference between manslaughter and murder is a matter of degree. And the dividing line isn't always clear. However, in general, murder requires proof of a more culpable mental state than recklessness (the mental state for manslaughter). So, in theory, the more egregious the motorist's actions, the more likely a jury is to convict of murder.

Penalties

The consequences of a driving-related homicide conviction depend on the circumstances. But generally, the possible penalties are:

• Vehicular homicide.   Vehicular homicide is a class A   felony . A conviction carries three to 20 years in prison and a maximum $20,000 in fines.
  • Negligent homicide.  Negligent homicide is a class C felony. Convicted motorists face up to five years in prison and a maximum $10,000 in fines.
  • Manslaughter.   Manslaughter is a class B felony. A conviction carries up to ten years in prison and a maximum $20,000 in fines.
  • Murder.   Murder is generally a class AA felony. Those convicted of murder are looking at up to life in prison.

All motorists convicted of a driving-related unlawful killing are looking at a license revocation of up to a year.

$500 is an insult to every other driver in that state.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @7    2 years ago

I consider it negligent homicide and this scumbag got off with a slap on the wrist.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

I don't know about you but if I thought I hit a deer I'm pulling over to inspect the damage. And if it's a human, I'm hitting 911 immediately and trying to help the person I hit

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    2 years ago

If the poor man was still alive - this scumbag left him there to die.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9  Split Personality    2 years ago

One evening, still daylight, opposing traffic was bumper to bumper for a mile, the light changed and I was the head of the pack.

In a matter of seconds I was doing the speed limit when I saw a deer walk out between two stopped cars in opposing traffic

the other side of the road.

For a split second it was looking right at me, then it's belly and naval covered the windshield, crushing the glass and showering me

in tiny shards of 'safety' glass.

Still alive I am told when it rolled onto the roof it gained it's feet and lept into the woods.

I knew better than to slam on the brakes so I continued, slowing down until I could turn off on a side road.

At least 6 other cars including a police officer stopped to help and thank me for not causing a chain reaction accident.

I think of those 2 or three seconds every time I see a CarFax commercial.

The entire front end, dash panel windshield and roof and sunroof were replaced and 2 years later

there were still shards of glass appearing on the dash and floor...

Ender
Professor Principal
9.1  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @9    2 years ago

Damn. I would have freaked.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @9.1    2 years ago

The only time I freaked, well one time, lol,

Closer to home, at night pitch black going 35 and a doe hits the driver side mirror and I just got a glimpse of eye

some teeth and a lot of tongue on the window. She left a huge clean streak on the side of the caravan and hair.

Same neighborhood, a buck was streaking across a field during rutting season and he turned straight for me

at ninety degrees.  I braced for impact but he jumped from the high side of the road clear over the hood.

Freaked.