╌>

GOP lawmakers who are doctors should encourage vaccines, not harmful COVID treatment

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  2 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   The Kansas City Star Editorial Board

GOP lawmakers who are doctors should encourage vaccines, not harmful COVID treatment

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Kansas City Star Editorial Board

Tue, February 1, 2022, 12:19 PM

Keil Hileman survived a slow-growing brain tumor that ate his pituitary gland and left the Kansas middle school teacher immunocompromised. A bout with COVID-19 would likely incapacitate or kill him, he says, or even worse in his mind, burden his family with his care. So of course, as soon as he could, he got the vaccine and a booster shot. He wears a mask every day at work, and so do his 160 students.

“I will do whatever it takes to be here, to do my job,” said the 52-year-old Hileman, who teaches social studies at   Monticello Trails in the De Soto district . He loves teaching, so of course he would. When he was at his sickest from the tumor, “my students, being in school with them, they saved my life.”

He should also be getting support right now from state and federal lawmakers. They should want what Hileman wants, which is to keep him and others like him safe. Instead, through their anti-mask, anti-vax words and actions, even some GOP lawmakers who are doctors are putting his life and many others at risk.

Though   most modern medical schools do not require   students to swear to any version of the Hippocratic Oath, this is still in clear violation of common sense, and an offense against the common good.

“It’s frustrating,” Hileman said, that some lawmakers who should know better continue to spread misinformation that’s putting folks like him at particular risk.

COVID-19 has already killed nearly 900,000 people in the U.S. That’s more people than the number of US citizens living in the   state of South Dakota,   and more than the common estimate of   military casualties in the American Civil War.   Once more we stand in a house divided, and again over an issue in which both the stakes and the moral issue are clear.

All the same,   Republican U.S. Sen. Roger Marshall , a Garden City, Kansas physician, is leading the charge to block vaccine mandates in schools and other workplaces. Kansas state Sen. Mark Steffen, also a physician, pushed state lawmakers to support   legislation that would force pharmacists to fill COVID-19 prescription s for drugs that do nothing to fight the virus. Yes, even when it goes against their better judgment — and even when they know it could be harmful.

That legislation would prohibit the Kansas Board of Healing Arts from punishing physicians who prescribe ivermectin, a drug commonly used as a livestock dewormer, or hydroxychloroquine, usually prescribed for autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis. That’s clearly a measure that would protect only the doctors, not the health of the general public.

Steffen is already under investigation by the state licensing board for prescribing ivermectin for COVID-19. He called the investigation “overreach,” and said it’s “an attempt to silence,” him. Yes, it is. Not politically, but medically, to prevent him from prescribing treatments that are known not to work.

The   U.S. Food and Drug Administration has warned against ivermectin   and hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 therapy because neither has been proven to work against the disease.

As for Hileman, like millions in this country with compromised immune systems, including cancer survivors and transplant patients, he’s doing the best he can to ignore the political noise and to follow the science. “I wash my hands, I wear my mask. I can’t control the rest of the world. If I get it it could kill me, yes. But dying then would be easy for me, because I’m gone. It’s my family that’s left to suffer.”

Every time a politician undercuts the proven efficacy and importance of vaccines, he or she is putting his personal ambition ahead of care for all such families. When that politician is a doctor, it’s not just cruel but unforgivable.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago
Keil Hileman survived a slow-growing brain tumor that ate his pituitary gland and left the Kansas middle school teacher immunocompromised. A bout with COVID-19 would likely incapacitate or kill him, he says, or even worse in his mind, burden his family with his care. So of course, as soon as he could, he got the vaccine and a booster shot. He wears a mask every day at work, and so do his 160 students.

“I will do whatever it takes to be here, to do my job,” said the 52-year-old Hileman, who teaches social studies at      Monticello Trails in the De Soto district   . He loves teaching, so of course he would. When he was at his sickest from the tumor, “my students, being in school with them, they saved my life.”

He should also be getting support right now from state and federal lawmakers. They should want what Hileman wants, which is to keep him and others like him safe. Instead, through their anti-mask, anti-vax words and actions, even some GOP lawmakers who are doctors are putting his life and many others at risk.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

Though      most modern medical schools do not require       students to swear to any version of the Hippocratic Oath, this is still in clear violation of common sense, and an offense against the common good.

“It’s frustrating,” Hileman said, that some lawmakers who should know better continue to spread misinformation that’s putting folks like him at particular risk.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

I’m to the point that anything that decreases the number of Republican voters by their own choice is a good thing.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    2 years ago

I agree. it's time for anti-vaxers to get back to the basics, survival of the fittest and natural selection.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  devangelical @3.1    2 years ago

They really ought to resume testing out the bleach Covid treatment too.  If your not getting the expected results, try increasing the dosage.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.1    2 years ago

And drink your own urine - all of it!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

This is the shithead that Dr. Fauci called a moron, and, rightly so.  

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geKLkKhvphOpMArQFXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1643837066/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.huffpost.com%2fentry%2fanthony-fauci-explains-calling-senator-moron_n_61de8217e4b0603631b21e5e/RK=2/RS=VFNt.KfA8idoNDFDAWxfou9hLqI-

Dr. Anthony Fauci Reveals Why He Called GOP Senator A ‘Moron’ On Hot Mic

The nation’s top infectious diseases expert slammed Republican Sen. Roger Marshall’s "stunning" line of inquiry.
01/12/2022 02:57am EST  |   Updated   January 12, 2022

Dr.   Anthony Fauci   on Tuesday night explained to   MSNBC ’s Chris Hayes why he muttered “what a moron”   on a hot mic   following an exasperating Senate health committee hearing exchange with Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.).

Marshall had quizzed Fauci on his investments and demanded disclosure. Fauci pointed out the information is actually public in his financial statement. “What a moron. Jesus Christ,” Fauci was heard saying afterward.

Hayes suggested Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden , was a “little frustrated with that line of inquiry” from Marshall.

“It just is an example, again, he was implying, if you listen to the entire dialogue, that in my position responsible for drug trials and having so-called inside knowledge of what drug works and what drug doesn’t work, that maybe I was making investments sort of like ahead of the game here,” Fauci explained.

“He was totally implying that, and he made the statement that we can’t get your financial statement,” he continued. “It was stunning to me that a United States senator doesn’t realize that my financial statement is public knowledge. It was just like, ‘Where have you been?’”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    2 years ago

Said a newspaper editorial board who wouldn’t know a stethoscope from an oscilloscope.

Yawn......