╌>

Black Houston Doctor Files Lawsuit After JPMorgan Chase Bank Refuses To Deposit $16,000 Check

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  2 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   Samantha Dorisca

Black Houston Doctor Files Lawsuit After JPMorgan Chase Bank Refuses To Deposit $16,000 Check
“ Dr. Mitchell-Stewart showed proof of identification. She showed proof that she was a doctor by presenting a business card. She even called employees from her medical group to confirm who she was,” added attorney Justin Moore, according to ABC13.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A sign-on bonus from a job is always a win. However, for one Black Houston doctor, her moment of victory was swiftly taken away due to discriminatory practices.

ABC13 reports that Dr. Malika Mitchell-Stewart had recently completed her residency before securing a position at Valley Oaks Medical Group. The Black Houston doctor was subsequently awarded a $16,000 check from her newly acquired position.

Dr. Malika Mitchell-Stewart then went to JPMorgan Chase Bank at First Colony Branch in Sugar Land to deposit her new earnings.

Unfortunately, her celebration was cut short.

According to a lawsuit, staff members at JPMorgan Chase began to ask Dr. Malika Mitchell-Stewart unwarranted questions pertaining to her check and position as a doctor, ABC13 reports. Dr. Stewart describes feeling like a criminal after showing her check. JPMorgan Chase ultimately led with a decision to refuse Dr. Stewart’s service and declared the check fraudulent. Stewart believes she was targeted due to the color of her skin.

“It was an unfortunate situation. They took my special moment away. I felt like a criminal. I’ve never done anything wrong,” said Dr. Mitchell-Stewart, according to ABC13. “In order to get a Texas medical license or a medical license at all, you have to have a clean record. You have to go to school for so many years, and they just didn’t care. They didn’t respect that. They didn’t respect my credentials.”

“Dr. Mitchell-Stewart showed proof of identification. She showed proof that she was a doctor by presenting a business card. She even called employees from her medical group to confirm who she was,” added attorney Justin Moore, according to ABC13.

Chase Bank officials have since released a statement following the incident.  

“We take this matter very seriously, and are investigating the situation. We have reached out to Dr. Mitchell-Stewart to better understand what happened and apologize for her experience,” Chase Bank officials said, according to ABC13.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

I wonder how many white folk have to deal with this.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    2 years ago
"We have reached out to Dr. Mitchell-Stewart to better understand what happened and apologize for her experience,” Chase Bank officials said.

hopefully her lawyer will let them know very soon.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    2 years ago

How would you know? It would never make the news.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2    2 years ago

Lol, weakest argument you could possibly offer up.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.2.1    2 years ago

Really?

Care to try and do a search of all of the white victims of police brutality? They do exist- but getting the main stream media to report on them is a different matter.

If the victim is white the media downplay it; and shift it into an argument supporting BLM. That is only after the incident is dragged out by conservative outlets and exposed on social media. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2.2    2 years ago

Uh, this article is not about the police...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.4  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2.2    2 years ago

What the fuck does brutality have to do with this?  This is a black professional trying to deposit a check at a bank with every bit of identification that is required to do so.  Take your oranges back to the orange cart.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2.2    2 years ago

Perhaps you should READ your own links:

What about police violence against white people? | The Week

These are disingenuous arguments. However, it is true that white people are not at all immune to police violence. Instead of crying hypocrisy, there is every reason for white Americans to join the movement to overhaul policing in this country, and to attack the inequality at the root of so much police abuse. So again, it is unquestionably the case that black Americans have it worse than whites when it comes to police violence — something like three times as bad, in fact, which surely accounts for the focus of media coverage and obviously destroys Walsh's larger argument that policing isn't racist. But white Americans are still being killed by police at an abominable rate. The white American rate of 20.4 killings per 10 million population is more than twice as high as the overall Canadian rate, more than 10 times the New Zealand rate, more that 15 times the German rate, and more than 100 times the Japanese rate.

When Cops Kill White People, Black Lives Still Matter | The New Republic

The case that Black Lives Matter activists have been making—that America’s policing traditions are built upon a superstructure of enforcing and upholding white supremacy—is as true in Timpa’s instance as it is in the case of George Floyd.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    2 years ago

I wonder how many black folk have to deal with this.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    2 years ago

Unrelated to this but I think it shows your point.

GOP men hardly punished for illegal votes; Black woman given six years for sign-up error

Unreal. Three men got probation, one man got 2 or three days yet she gets six years when the department of corrections itself screwed up.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago

I think Maddow was reporting on that last night.  Incredible.  Yet there are plenty right here on NT who continue to pretend that prejudice is exaggerated.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    2 years ago

or non existent.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.1    2 years ago

Just greatly exaggerated.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.2    2 years ago

Depends on where you live 

or how far down in the sand you have your head buried I suppose.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago

If I remember correctly, that lady went out of her way to ask the right people if she was eligible to vote and they mistakenly told her that she was.  Then she registered and once again it was not noticed that she should not have been eligible.  Then they put her in prison … meanwhile a bunch of white Trumptards got a slap on the wrist for knowingly casting votes in a dead person’s name.  One of those white guys even instigated national media attention by claiming he knew voter fraud was real because someone cast a vote in his dead wife’s name.  Later he plead guilty to being that someone.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Ender  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2    2 years ago

She did nothing wrong Imo and was trying to follow the law. Yet they screwed up and punished her.

Meanwhile, actual true voter fraud gets almost nothing.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.2    2 years ago

Interesting read.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.2    2 years ago

Thank you................

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.5  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ender @2.2.3    2 years ago

This is also interesting:  154 people in Texas have been charged with voter fraud crimes in Texas since 2004.  There is a long list of the dispositions of each individual which I won’t post, but I will post the top chunk of that column that is visible without downloading.  One can assume that it continues in a similar fashion.

original It would not appear that six years in prison is an appropriate sentence.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3  Just Jim NC TttH    2 years ago

One thing missing. Sounds to me like she didn't have an account there and wanted to start one. I know my bank may balk at a huge check but they would deposit it and make it clear that the funds would NOT be available until the check actually cleared. In this case, it's kinda weird.

Other than that, there is not a reason that they should have turned it down. Unless of course she wanted a fairly large sum of cash and not deposit the whole thing. THAT would do it I'm sure. Especially if she didn't have an account.

Who knows? Something just isn't right here.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    2 years ago

I would think they would tell her that. That she cannot take part of the money as the check would have to clear.

Instead they claim the check was fraudulent?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @3.1    2 years ago

I know I don't get that part either.................Guess they have never seen or heard of a sign on bonus. All they had to do was call the damned hospital FFS. But that also is something you would expect from a bank where you have an account established.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.1    2 years ago

Interesting picture of the Doctor and her attorney...

I going to guess that the doctor's size and color had an equal impact in the two employees assumptions of fraud.

but now the discrimination angle is twofold.

She has been on the news here and is obviously an intelligent adult.

But they never show the fact that she is very, very short.