╌>

U.S. Inflation Accelerates to 40-Year High - WSJ

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  46 comments

By:   Gwynn Guilford (WSJ)

U.S. Inflation Accelerates to 40-Year High - WSJ
U.S. inflation accelerated to a 7.5% annual rate in January, rising to a new four-decade high, the Labor Department said Thursday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S. inflation accelerated to a 7.5% annual rate in January, rising to a new four-decade high, the Labor Department said Thursday.

The January number includes a once-a-year revision that affects seasonally adjusted data for the past five years. The Labor Department also updated the list of goods included in the calculation, known as a spending basket, to reflect consumer habits in 2019 and 2020.

Prices for  autos household furniture  and  appliances , as well as for other long-lasting goods, continue to drive much of the inflationary surge, fueled by pandemic-related supply-and-demand imbalances. Most economists expect the dynamic to fade as businesses adapt and demand normalizes. But it isn’t clear when supply snarls will ease enough to take pressure off prices, particularly because of recent disruptions from the Omicron variant of Covid-19.

Food inflation is also  raising consumers’ grocery bills , pushed up by steady  price increases for meat , eggs and citrus fruits. Energy-price gains had shown signs of easing after climbing steeply last year. But a recent sharp rise in crude oil prices threatens to keep gasoline prices elevated.

High inflation is the dark side of the unusually strong economy, posing a challenge to the Federal Reserve as it tries to quell rising prices without damping growth.

“This is not encouraging news for the Fed in its battle to get inflation heading back towards the 2% target,” said James Knightley, chief international economist at ING. “Rate hikes will do nothing to resolve supply chain strains and worker shortages, but they can contribute to taking some of the steam out of the economy and allow demand and supply to start moving towards a better balance, at the expense of weaker growth.”

The economy  expanded 5.5% last year , the fastest pace since 1984. That brisk growth is powered by  a strong labor market . Employers added 1.6 million jobs over the past three months, putting upward pressure on wages. With inflation well above the Fed’s target, the steady gains in hiring leave the Fed  on track to raise interest rates  next month and could prompt further increases in May and June.

Mounting wage pressures related to the nation’s tight job market could also start feeding into inflation. Annual wage growth was running at 4.5% in December, the fastest pace since 2002, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta’s  wage tracker , which makes adjustments for changes in the composition of workers.

A steady pickup in rental costs, which account for nearly one-third of the CPI, is adding to inflationary pressure and will likely keep doing so, said Aichi Amemiya, senior U.S. economist at Nomura Securities.

The rental vacancy rate dropped to 5.6% in the fourth quarter, its lowest level since the 1980s. Mr. Amemiya said such a low vacancy rate could push housing rents even higher as new lease contracts are signed this year, putting more pressure on inflation.

Allison Reyes and her boyfriend, Patrick Oldt, had been in a new apartment located close to the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia’s Center City for four months when the basement flooded from high water after Hurricane Ida. That sent the couple looking for a new place to live—and gave them sticker shock because prices for similar rental properties were 30% more expensive than just a few months ago.

“We were shocked. We were looking at the exact same apartments we had looked at just a few months earlier whose prices had gone from $2,400 a month to $3,000 a month,” said Ms. Reyes, 34 years old, who works as a brand manager. “We ended up having to downgrade in size and location. Now we’re spending more money for a smaller apartment by about 400 square feet.”

In December, some 47% of small businesses said they planned to raise prices in the next three months, on net, according to the National Federation of Independent Business, a trade association. That figure is down slightly from the last three months of 2021, but close to the highest share since monthly records began in 1986.

Alex Mishkit launched her salon, Alex Cher Beauty, a year ago. Since then, she has increased prices to keep up with the rising costs of key supplies. First it was the nitrile gloves, which leapt as much as 30%. Then the price of waxing sticks shot up, followed by the price of wax itself, which rose by around 15%.

“To a small-business owner going on her second year, it adds up. So I’m hyper-aware of the slightest increase because every dollar counts,” she said. With overall supply costs running between 10% and 15% more than they were when she opened her doors, Ms. Mishkit in December nervously announced a price increase of around 10%. To her surprise, she said, customers were supportive.

“I was definitely taken aback by the positive responses I received from clients,” she said, adding that it made sense given how consumers’ expectations have changed over the past year. “I mean, just turn on the news and it’s all about inflation. So I don’t think there’s a shock when there’s a slight price increase.”

Mr. Amemiya of Nomura Securities said that rising inflation expectations among consumers, along with wage increases across the labor force, add to the risk that price pressures remain persistent. That could encourage the Fed to raise rates more than expected even if the overall inflation trend declines in the coming months, he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Explain that away Joe & Jen!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Although the price of gas at the King Sooper (Kroger) pumps has slowly come down to $3.12, the prices inside  the store have skyrocketed in all departments since the beginning of the year.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago

What was it that Joe Biden said during the outrage over food prices during Thanksgiving?

picture-121.png?w=324&h=284&crop=1

How about a hot dog?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago

Price of gas at my local QT jumped to $3.29 from $3.09 last week...............WTH is going on?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.2    2 years ago

$3.29- my neck of the woods is $3.39 this week at most stations.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.4  zuksam  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago

I filled my heating oil tank 1/24/21 at 1.89 a gallon the price today is 3.70 a gallon. That's a 1.81 increase almost double the price. Basically at this price it would be cheaper to heat with electric space heaters.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.3    2 years ago

Try $4.59 a gallon for 87 grade gas as the average where I live.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.6  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.5    2 years ago

[deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.3    2 years ago

$3.45 a gallon right now down here on the border.

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  shona1  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.7    2 years ago

Morning Ed.. petrol here is a $1.80 a litre at the moment... and in New Zealand it is $3 a litre... just as we they don't have large distances to travel.. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Freefaller  replied to  shona1 @1.1.8    2 years ago

Currently $1.42 p/litre here (approx $5.68 p/gallon) and I live in the cheapest gas province in Canada (although nowhere is at $1.80)

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  shona1  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.9    2 years ago

Yes normally we are around $1.40 a litre but they put up the price for any reason...

Latest excuse Russia/Ukraine  the corona virus, US stock exchange falls and rises, US elections, China/Taiwan and anything else they can think of..

Well I am off for a walk along the beach...have to make the most of it.. Autumn is already in the air and summer is on the run.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  Freefaller  replied to  shona1 @1.1.10    2 years ago
Well I am off for a walk along the beach

Enjoy yourself, I'd do the same but it's -10 and I'd have to walk through 4 ft of snow

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.7    2 years ago

Internet says $3.09 to $3.14 here in DFW

but we passed several at $2.82 - $2.94 Thursday

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.12    2 years ago

According to AAA the US average for regular unleaded is 3.49.    A year ago it was 2.51.

Nearly a 40% increase in one year.

Now that is some serious inflation for Americans who have to drive every day.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Kathleen @1.1.14    2 years ago

[deleted]

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.13    2 years ago

I hardly drive at all, how about you?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  Kathleen @1.1.14    2 years ago

I hardly drive at all, how about you?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.16    2 years ago
I hardly drive at all

Not a surprise considering 

how about you?

Roughly 20,000 miles a year.   Tack on total miles company wide and it’s closer to 700k miles a year.

Do you care only about your issues or do you also care about others issues as well?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.20  Split Personality  replied to  Kathleen @1.1.18    2 years ago

I understand that.

When is the last time he got a raise or asked for one?  

In the 50's and 60's my Mexican MIL made doilies and had my brother in law sell them 

at an exit ramp red light.  When she told my FIL, an LA City Engineer,

we're moving, he said "we can't afford it". "There will be trouble".

She retrieved a shoe box with thousands of $5's and ones.

Mexicans, even WWII Army vets missing a few fingers could not buy a house on credit.

They bought a house cash but didn't last long, the white BSA leader next store tormented them,

poisoned the dog etc. 

She remodeled the house, sold it for a handsome profit and bought a large corner property 

with roses, citrus trees and avocados.  They sold it for $500K in the late 90's moved to TX and bought a

similar property for $85K.

Gotta love TX.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Explain that away Joe & Jen!

Same excuse TFG used.. Covid. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

For months, I have been ringing the alarm bell about inflation. Once again, we are witnessing that the threat of inflation is real. There is not a corner of this nation where hard-working families are able to escape the noticeable impact of this “inflation tax”. Inflation taxes are draining the hard-earned wages of every American, and it’s causing real and severe economic pain that can no longer be ignored. It’s beyond time for the Federal Reserve to tackle this issue head on, and Congress and the Administration must proceed with caution before adding more fuel to an economy already on fire. As inflation and our $30 trillion in national debt continue a historic climb, only in Washington, DC do people seem to think that spending trillions more of taxpayers’ money will cure our problems, let alone inflation.     We must get serious about the finances of our country. It’s time we start acting like stewards of our economy and the money the American people entrust their government with.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

West Virginia has a great Senator there.   Better than a lot of other Rep and Dem Senators.    

I hope he continues to stay the course.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Food, gas, rent, interest rates on loans all going up..

Democrats do nothing but obsess about Trump. No wonder Republicans are enjoying their biggest partisan advantage in years. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 years ago

I guess they are walking and chewing bubble gum at the same time eh?  /S

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    2 years ago

Inflation is real and corporate profits, especially OIL is at the highest's recorded levels. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 years ago
Inflation is real

Sure is.

I wonder how Biden defines "temporary" now?

I remember last year when Biden said the inflation spike was merely temporary and would end soon.

What's your hero done?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    2 years ago

He will blame the working class next 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    2 years ago

Corporate profits are at their highest levels.  Just what it is.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.2    2 years ago

so what?

companies should be profitable

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    2 years ago

Fine.  Then quit bitching about higher prices.  The corpulent have an insatiable appetite. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.4    2 years ago

stop imaginng i am bitching about higher prices.

I suppose asking to quote me on that would simply be a monumental waste of time.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    2 years ago

What is your problem?  Why are you commenting if you're satisfied?  You okay?  Inflation.  Remember?  You know what it is, right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.6    2 years ago

yes. I know what inflation is. just quite me complaining about prices like you claimed and we'll be good.

btfw, why are you commenting if you are happy with inflation?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.7    2 years ago

Goodbye.  The hell with it.  It's like conversing with a chunk of ice that fell off a car.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.8    2 years ago

bye now, do come back when you can back your wild ass claims up!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.8    2 years ago

Busted Play

Michael RamirezFebruary 13,2022
mrz021322dAPR-780x567.jpg

See more Ramirez toons HERE.

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.2  zuksam  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 years ago

Most companies set their price as total cost of production plus (let's say 20%) so if inflation drives up costs (raw materials, labor, shipping, energy, real estate) it also drives up profit leading to record profits. That's not to say some companies aren't gouging but for most it's just simple math, they consider cost as an investment and so they set what they think is a reasonable rate of return. So as costs increase so must profit increase which leads to increases in the cost of whatever product they're selling.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  zuksam @4.2    2 years ago

Really?  "As costs increase so must profit increase..............................................."  Okay.  Then why did the taxpayers bail out the Banks and Wall Street in 2009-2011?  Why didn't they just increase their profits to cover the costs?  Yeah.  As if that makes any sense.

Your supposition is--------------wrong.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.1    2 years ago

Your understanding of basic economics is rather obtuse.

So banks make most of their money by charging interest on loans.    Personal and Commercial.     They couldn’t have raised those interest rates enough to bail themselves out and still expect people to take out more loans to actually pay for it.

This isn’t a defense of banks, I think they should have let them fail.    But it’s also not a defense of government who enabled banks to write such garbage paper.    

A problem that transcended political party.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.3  Sparty On  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 years ago

Economics 101 .... a simple math problem really.    If a business is charging a fixed percent profit on a product and the cost of the product goes up.    Does the company make more money in profit before or after the cost went up?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
Employers added 1.6 million jobs over the past three months

This isn't "adding" jobs.  This 1.6 million are people getting back to work.  And even at that, it's only slightly over 25% of the people who quit their jobs in latter half of 2021.  Many of those who quit wanted higher wages.  In many cases their wages did go up, so did inflation wiping out any benefit of a higher wage.

And this administration is doing very little to correct it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

I am reminded of a movie clip somebody posted on another article a few days ago from Clint Eastwood's The Outlaw Josie Wales. Wale's former captain is telling a US Senator something about "...pissing on his back and telling him it's raining." Definite similarities with the Biden administration and the American public!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    2 years ago

What only a few months ago was “transitionary” according to the Biden admin, is now dug in like a tick on a hound.     Energy is “the” largest single driver of inflation in the World and with energy cost up 30-50% right now, high inflation ain’t down any day soon.

Biden’s temporary inflation bandaid of suggesting a moratorium on federal gas taxes is proof of that.    He is grasping at straws now because of his restrictive energy policy.     He’s an inflation driving lost banana.