╌>

Police break up remaining protest at Windsor's Ambassador Bridge, make 12 arrests

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  2 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Mark Gollom, Samantha Craggs · CBC News

Police break up remaining protest at Windsor's Ambassador Bridge, make 12 arrests

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Twelve people were arrested when officers from multiple police forces advanced on Sunday morning to clear out the remaining protesters and break up a days-long occupation near the Ambassador Bridge border crossing in Windsor, Ont.

"Of those 12 arrests, there was no violence from the protesters and the officers did not have to use use of force," said Windsor police Sgt. Steve Betteridge.

He said about seven to 10 vehicles were towed and that police hoped to have the roads open and traffic moving later this afternoon. He did not know when the bridge would reopen.

Most of those who were arrested were charged with mischief, and some had been inside their vehicles, Betteridge said.

Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens told CBC's   Rosemary Barton Live  on Sunday that once police have the situation fully under control, the plan will move to figuring out how to properly reopen the roadway to the bridge.

A spokesperson for the Canada Border Services Agency said it was "working collaboratively with law enforcement partners to restore normal border operations at affected ports of entry as quickly as possible."

Police outnumber remaining protesters

A group of protesters opposing COVID-19 public health measures, including vaccine mandates, has been at the bridge since Monday, blocking what is typically Canada's busiest border crossing. On Friday, the chief justice of the Ontario Superior Court granted an injunction ordering the protesters to clear the bridge by 7 p.m. that night.

Fewer than 30 protesters were there Sunday morning. Police far outnumbered the remaining protesters and most cleared the area after being warned of arrests.

"Time to leave," police said, as they formed a line and prepared to march forward along Huron Church Road, which leads to the international border crossing connecting Windsor with Detroit.

"If you don't leave, you will be arrested."

However some arrests were made, including drivers of a few pickup trucks that had remained parked up the street.

"It is what it is," one man told reporters as he was arrested. "We're here for our freedom, and this is what we get."

The man put up no resistance as he was led out of his truck and put in restraints.

"Trust me, I'm not going to fight you," he told police.

At about 7:45 a.m., dozens of officers began forming a line across Huron Church Road, and minutes later they started their slow advance, telling everyone — both protesters and the media — to move back or face arrest.

In a Sunday morning Twitter post, the Windsor Police Service said it was making more arrests.

"Enforcement actions continue at the demonstration area with arrests being made," police said. "Vehicles being towed. Please continue avoiding the area."

Some trucks had also been encamped at the intersection of Tecumseh Street and Huron Church Road. Two officers came by to warn those parked on the street that if they didn't  leave, they would be arrested.

Shortly after, those trucks departed, blaring their horns as they left.

"It's sad. It's sad," said Raymond Miller. "We don't want to go to  jail."

He added: "It's not what we expected. It's totally mind-blowing. Our charter rights were taken from us."

A small group of  protesters did remain, but they had been forced to the sidewalk.

On Saturday night, a crowd of defiant anti-mandate demonstrators remained on the street hours after police had moved in to break up the days-long protest and clear some of the blockade.

By evening, protesters had gathered just behind the concrete barricades police stretched along Huron Church Road.

The crowd had grown throughout the day, and while more people arrived during the evening, the numbers began to decline. Still, many braved the bitter cold to show continued support for the protest —  one of several taking place across Canada against COVID-19 measures .

Windsor police arrested one person on Saturday night — a 27-year-old man charged with "a criminal offence in relation to the demonstration."

This comes on a weekend of demonstrations, including one near Fort Erie, Ont., near the Peace Bridge, where people blocked lanes on the Queen Elizabeth Way. In Ottawa, protesters have occupied an area of downtown for 16 days.

Dilkens said the fact that protesters could come back to form another blockade has been a concern since Day One.

"What is the plan if you flush 200 people out, that you don't get 400 people showing up tomorrow?" he said.  

He said there has to be  some hardening of the roadway leading to the bridge, "to make sure police maintain control, truckers can get through and get to and from the bridge while we maintain order on the ground to make sure that this doesn't happen again."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 years ago

"Most of those who were arrested were charged with mischief ..."

Which in Canada means if you are found guilty you get 50 bucks and free Poutine.

Meanwhile "jackbooted" anti-protesters are showing up daily in ever increasing numbers.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago
"jackbooted" anti-protesters

[Deleted]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 years ago

Just who is this "fascist politician"?

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 years ago
fascist politician

Fascism   ( / ˈ f æ ʃ ɪ z əm / ) is a form of   far-right ,   authoritarian   ultranationalism [1]   characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and the economy [2]   that rose to prominence in early 20th-century Europe. [3] [4]   The first fascist movements   emerged in Italy   during   World War I , before   spreading to other European countries . [3]   Opposed to   anarchism ,   democracy ,   liberalism , and   Marxism , [5]   fascism is placed on the far   right-wing   within the traditional   left–right spectrum . [3] [6]

Fascists saw World War I as a   revolution   that brought massive changes to the nature of war, society, the state, and technology. The advent of   total war   and the total mass mobilization of society had broken down the distinction between civilians and combatants. A military citizenship arose in which all citizens were involved with the military in some manner during the war. [7]   The war had resulted in the rise of a powerful state capable of mobilizing millions of people to serve on the front lines and providing economic production and logistics to support them, as well as having unprecedented authority to intervene in the lives of citizens. [7]

Fascists believe that   liberal democracy   is obsolete. They regard the complete mobilization of society under a   totalitarian   one-party state   as necessary to prepare a nation for armed conflict and to respond effectively to economic difficulties. [8]   A fascist state is led by a strong leader (such as a   dictator ) and a   martial law   government composed of the members of the governing fascist party to forge national unity and maintain a stable and orderly society. [8]   Fascism rejects assertions that violence is automatically negative in nature and views   imperialism , political violence and war as means that can achieve national rejuvenation. [9]   Fascists advocate a   dirigisme [10]   [11]   economy, with the principal goal of achieving   autarky   (national economic self-sufficiency) through   protectionist   and   economic interventionist   policies. [12]   The extreme authoritarianism and nationalism of fascism often manifests a belief in   racial purity   or a   master race , usually synthesized with some variant of   racism   or   bigotry   against a demonized " Other ". These ideas have motivated fascist regimes to commit   genocides ,   massacres ,   forced sterilizations ,   mass killings , and forced   deportations . [13]

Since the end of   World War II   in 1945, few parties have openly described themselves as   fascist ; the term is more often used   pejoratively   by political opponents. The descriptions of   neo-fascist   or   post-fascist   are sometimes applied more formally to describe contemporary parties of the far-right with ideologies similar to, or rooted in, 20th-century fascist movements. [3] [14]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.2    2 years ago

Seems to me that Canada is a Democracy wherein the majority of citizens are in control.  They vote, they elect their leaders and their government, and with the possibility of a non-confidence vote in Parliament (something America does not permit) an existing government can be ended and put to the test with a new election.  When AT LEAST 85% of Canadian citizens are vaccinated and DISAGREE with a 15% rogue minority who don't give a shit about ending a viral pandemic or murdering their family and friends by ignoring necessary guidelines, and the government is in agreement with that vast majority and does what it can WITHIN THE LAW to end the so-called "Freedom Convoy" that was damaging not only Canada but its neighbour to the south as well, it doesn't seem like a Fascist government to me. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    2 years ago

Yep pretty well spot on Buzz. Didn't realise Canada has the no confidence law either... pretty sure NZ does too. Must have inherited it from the Brits...

Wait till it comes a super spreader event and thinning the herd kicks in again..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.1.4    2 years ago
"Must have inherited it from the Brits..."

Yes, I'm sure our governments' parliamentary system emulates the Brits'.

But I must tell you that I have always been loyal to Queen Elizabeth II, especially since she appointed me 'One of Her Majesty's Counsel Learned in the Law' (i.e. a Queen's Counsel, i.e. a Q.C.) but if Charlie doesn't abdicate upon her death in favour of William becoming King, I may repudiate my loyalty to the Crown if that SOB and his horseface wife whom the Queen recently honoured, the ones who were the basic cause for the death of the "People's Princess" Diana (who was loved by the Brits), whom I met, shook hands with and had a conversation with, and I will back those Canadians who wish to do away with the Monarchy as Bermuda has just done.  As it is, the Queen is presently being monitored for the virus because Charlie may have infected her, and if she dies from it I'll consider him responsible for TWO royal deaths.  It's sort of like Alec Guiness in Kind Hearts and Coronets.

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.5    2 years ago

Yep my thoughts exactly...

Have no respect for Charlie, and Queen Camilla you have got to be bloody joking..

Their only saving grace will be William..

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  shona1 @1.1.6    2 years ago

And his lovely wife Kate!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

50 bucks and free poutine? sounds like a deal to me

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

Good and about time.

shona1
Professor Quiet
3  shona1    2 years ago

Morning..should have done what the Kiwis did in Wellington...turned the sprinklers on and blasted out the area with Barry Manilow music on repeat.. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  Freefaller  replied to  shona1 @3    2 years ago
and blasted out the area with Barry Manilow music on repeat.. 

Lol a punishment worse than death

shona1
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  shona1  replied to  Freefaller @3.1    2 years ago

Morning free... they are also playing the Macarena as well.

Geez you would have to have half a brain to even go there and protest in the first place ..they will have even less after listening to that 24 hours a day...

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  shona1 @3.1.1    2 years ago
they are also playing the Macarena as well.

Accckkk!! even worse

Geez you would have to have half a brain to even go there and protest in the first place

Lol no comment

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @3.1    2 years ago

Neil Young would have been better - since he would have put down those assholes. 

epistte
Junior Participates
3.1.4  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    2 years ago

Play Justin Beiber or Nickleback.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @3    2 years ago

Especially if they played Mandy and Copacabana over and over

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

By now the arrests have at least tripled.  

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
5  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Canada breaks up protests after a week.  U.S. lets riots continue for months.  Seems like we can learn from our neighbors.  We won't of course.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @5    2 years ago

If it had been a peaceful protest that did not block roads, break laws or inconvenience anyone it could remain for years.  An example would be the supporters of the Falun Gong who sit in front of the Chinese Consulate in Toronto.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Nearly three-quarters of Canadians want convoy protesters to 'go home now': survey

Seventy-two per cent of respondents in the Angus Reid poll said protesters should “go home now, they have made their point.” Ninety-three per cent supported some sort of action to remove them, with 68 per cent wanting the police or military to do so by force. Just 26 per cent said politicians should negotiate a solution. Forty-four per cent even said the protests made them more inclined to support measures like indoor masking and showing proof of vaccination at the Canada-U.S. border.  (LINK) ->

Canadians are fed up with those criminals breaking laws and inconveniencing their lives.