╌>

Why didn't Putin mess with Ukraine while Trump was president?

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  109 comments

As the right-wing world awaits Donald Trump's speech at 2022 CPAC ( otherwise known as kiss Trump's ass) this evening,  I was wondering ,  like many people , why  didnt Putin make a move like the invasion of Ukraine during Trump's term?

It came to me after a little thought.  In a second Trump term it was expected that he would pull the US out of NATO.  Trump wanted to end NATO during his first term but wasn't able to get there. In a second term without the need to get reelected he would be free to destroy the NATO coalition by pulling the US out. Without America there would be no NATO.

Did Donald Trump promise Vladimir Putin he would end NATO in a second Trump term?

That is what Putin wanted to see, and wants to see today. If Russia had attacked Ukraine while Trump was president it would have been impossible for Trump to remove the United States from NATO.

Think about it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago
Did Donald Trump promise Vladimir Putin he would end NATO in a second Trump term?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

What Trump wanted was for Europe to pay for their own defense

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago
p wanted was for Europe to pay for their own defense

And he was right. Germany's refusal to carry its weight is a disgrace. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

So where is your proof to back up your TDS driven thought? 

Talk about crack brained conspiracy theories. You do remember that Trump had the Europeans so damn upset that they were planning a European Army so that they wouldn't have to rely on the US!  Of course like all European ideas they spend all of the their time and money planning and not once damn cent doing!

bugsy
Professor Participates
2  bugsy    2 years ago

Because Trump wasn't a bumbling old fool and...

Putin wasn't THAT stupid.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @2    2 years ago

Trump is mentally retarded and he is damn near as old as Biden. They are both practically in their graves. And do you honestly think Trump would have done ANYTHING if Putin invaded the Ukraine a couple years ago? I mean, honestly, do you truly think Putin wouldn't have acted in Ukraine because he would have been afraid of Trump's response? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1    2 years ago

I think Trump made Putin promises about a second Trump term that Putin liked and didn't want to mess up by causing Trump trouble during his first term

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1    2 years ago

But Putin didn't despite the left constantly screaming Trump was a Russian sleeper or Putin's puppet.

Putin waited for the human fuck up machine that is currently office. No spinning it no matter how hard the TDS driven try.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.3    2 years ago

So Putin waited for the guy who would present unwaivering resistance to his actions, would sanction his country, and would supply the fuck out of his enemies causing heavier than expected casualties.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.4    2 years ago
So Putin waited for the guy who would present unwaivering resistance to his actions, would sanction his country, and would supply the fuck out of his enemies causing heavier than expected casualties.

That makes me wonder why so many yahoos on the left keep lying about Trump and Russia.

If Trump was preferred by Putin, seems like invading a country when he was President would have been saner. 

The "logic" used to tar Trump is simply useless drivel.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.5    2 years ago

But....   but.....    he's orange, man....   come on, he's got to be bad.   He's got to be evil...   Just look at  his comb-over...  totally evil, even gives me the creeps...   hehe

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.5    2 years ago
The "logic" used to tar Trump is simply useless drivel.

It's really insane. Trump was supposedly Putin's patsy, yet  Putin does nothing when he's in office. Not to mention the obvious problem with the theory in that  Putin's supposed  "patsy" armed the Ukrainians, which Obama refused to do, and increased sanctions. And then Putin waits until his supposed patsy is out of office to engage in the biggest risk of his life, when having a patsy as President would have been invaluable. 

It's just so stupid on it's face that I'd find it impossible to believe anyone would publicly claim such nonsense  if I didn't see evidence of it here everyday. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.6    2 years ago

Their complete and utter lack of sensibilities astounds.

According to many on the left, Trump was a Russian stooge--so much so that Putin WAITED until he was out of office before invading.

Makes sense, huh?

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.5    2 years ago

Trump was/is a fucking retard, been saying it for 6 years. 

As I have said, Putin wasn't ready during Trump's presidency. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.9    2 years ago
Trump was/is a fucking retard, been saying it for 6 years. 

Trump isn't your President any longer.

As I have said, Putin wasn't ready during Trump's presidency. 

And you KNOW that because why?

Did you have some Russian friends keeping you abreast of Russian tactics, strategies, and plans?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.4    2 years ago

Yeah, the same tough guy who dropped Trump imposed sanctions last May only to put them back on nine months later.

What a guy you elected there .... he’s a foreign policy genius.   /S

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.11    2 years ago

The whole premise is stupid as fuck.

"Putin waited"!!

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.12    2 years ago

I know, irrationality is about all some folks have to muster anymore.

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.14    replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    2 years ago
rump isn't your President any longer.

Nope.

And you KNOW that because why?

A guess.

Did you have some Russian friends keeping you abreast of Russian tactics, strategies, and plans?

Do you?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.15  bugsy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1    2 years ago
And do you honestly think Trump would have done ANYTHING if Putin invaded the Ukraine a couple years ago?

\No. You know why?

Because he didn't invade Ukraine.

Putin waited until yet another weak, feeble democratic president got into office to make his move.

Biden was a prayer answered.

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.16    replied to  bugsy @2.1.15    2 years ago

Sure.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.17  bugsy  replied to  @2.1.16    2 years ago

Glad you have come around to the truth

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.18    replied to  bugsy @2.1.15    2 years ago
\No. You know why?

Cuz putin would have told him no.

Because he didn't invade Ukraine.

Lol what?

Putin waited until yet another weak, feeble democratic president got into office to make his move.

And it completely backfired on your boy Putin. 

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.21    replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.5    2 years ago

So putin is actually an idiot.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.22  bugsy  replied to  @2.1.21    2 years ago

Yea...he is

Not because of the pussy in the White House

But because he underestimated the resolve of the Ukranian people.

The pussy in the White House has no idea what is going on.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  @2.1.21    2 years ago

well, duh.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  bugsy @2    2 years ago

laugh if you want , by my take on trump has always been a bloviating blowhard with an ego complex ,  But when it comes to putin ,he didnt believe a word out of trumps mouth , which placed trump not only as an unreliable source of agreements , but very unpredictable in how he would react. putin only bets on sure things when he is sure of all the reactions , with trump he couldnt be sure of the reaction.

We THINK  Putin is crazy as a shithouse rat 

We KNOW Trump is crazy as a shithouse rat

it appears so did Putin 

just my opinion

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I have Newsmax on television right now . The right-wing nutcase Michael Savage, the talk show host,  is on there complaining about how much money it costs to send military supplies to Ukraine.

He's also complaining about how popular Zelensky is.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
I have Newsmax on television right now .

Why?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1    2 years ago

Cheap laughs

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1    2 years ago

To keep his TDS on a razor's edge.

And to make sure he gets his fascist support in for Ukraine. This is the fascists vs the communists; and like Reagan said.

Ronald Reagan: ‘If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism’

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.2    2 years ago

Seriously? [Deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

Savage never bitched about all the money spent in Iraq

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Did Donald Trump promise Vladimir Putin he would end NATO in a second Trump term

I think you are confusing Barack "I'll have more flexibility" Obama with Trump. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

"In fact, Trump had privately indicated that he would seek to withdraw from NATO and to blow up the U.S. alliance with South Korea, should he win reelection. When those alliances had come up in meetings with Esper and other top aides, some advisers warned Trump that shredding them before the election would be politically dangerous.”

Said Trump: “Yeah, the second term. We’ll do it in the second term.”

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6  Jack_TX    2 years ago
In a second Trump term it was expected that he would pull the US out of NATO.

Expected by whom?? 

This is one of your crazier ones.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

IMO he wasn't ready, and then with the pandemic and everything. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Trump is doing his comedy act in front of CPAC right now. He has singled out most of the prominent far right nut jobs for individual praise, including Marjorie Taylor Greene, Jim Jordan. Madison Cauthorn , Matt Gaetz and Mike Lindell. 

Unbelievable.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    2 years ago

To the extent that Trump tossed around the idea of leaving NATO, it wasn’t because he didn’t think NATO was a good idea. He just thought that the way it functioned was a bad deal for America. He saw America doing all the heavy lifting and big spending, and doing so to face a threat that is more immediately dangerous to Europe than to the United States. I think that’s a fair assessment.

So, one thing Trump knows about a bad deal is that you aren’t going to compel other parties to operate in your favor unless you show that you’re willing to walk out on the deal. You have to bring more to the negotiating table than just “pretty please.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @9    2 years ago

Trump wanted to end NATO. Did he communicate that to Putin at Helsinki? That would explain why Putin waited.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    2 years ago
Trump wanted to end NATO.

If he really and truly wanted that, there was no need to bitch about the financial contributions of other countries.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.1    2 years ago
If he really and truly wanted that, there was no need to bitch about the financial contributions of other countries.

Well, yeah, but who can pass up a chance to make stuff up about Helsinki?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    2 years ago

Horseshit.    

As noted several times here and completely ignored by you, he simply wanted other chartered NATO countries to pay what they agreed to pay.     I guess you like it when the US is getting screwed.    He didn’t which is one of the reasons so many Americans supported him.

Unlike all the people here who are too stupid to know they are getting boned.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.3    2 years ago

There are numerous stories reported in the news that Trump wanted to end NATO by withdrawing the US.  You look it up

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.3    2 years ago

On a lttle different note , last night in his CPAC speech Trump said the pillow man Mike Lindell is a great American.   Do you agree?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.4    2 years ago

Oh numerous “stories” huh?

How convincing ...... 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.5    2 years ago

I think Hillary is a worse American.    

A deflection of your deflection if you will .....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.6    2 years ago

Do you know how to Google?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.7    2 years ago

So you think Hillary Clinton is a worse American than Mike Lindell. That says a lot. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.9    2 years ago

I think most of the known world would regard Hillary Clinton as a worse American than not only Mike Lindell, but even worse than Richard Nixon for that matter.

I'll tell you what, let's have her run again

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.8    2 years ago

Do you know how to provide links to prove the assertions you make?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.9    2 years ago

Yes it does but it’s nothing that I didn’t already know about you.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.13  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.10    2 years ago

Really? Google  "Most Admired Women"...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @9.1.13    2 years ago

Ya, by those like yourself. Lol

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.15  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.11    2 years ago

I've already given a couple links to stories about this. Now you go find stories.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.4    2 years ago
There are numerous stories reported in the news that Trump wanted to end NATO by withdrawing the US.  You look it up

Simple FACT is NATO still exists, and now some countries are finally paying more than they were thanks to Trump.

I know that thanks to Trump is a bitter pill to swallow for some Trump-haters, but facts are facts.

Now, if one wants to speculate and guess, have at it but please stay grounded in reality.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.15    2 years ago

Or you could try to substantiate the assertions you made and not ask others to do it for you.

But that’s just me .....

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.18  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    2 years ago
Trump wanted to end NATO.

You’re not even considering the alternate - and far more plausible - analysis that you are hearing from many people. 

If I am negotiating to buy a house, and I think the seller is demanding too much money, I might walk out of the room. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to buy a house. It just means I don’t want to pay what the seller is demanding. 

You can claim that Trump wanted this or that, but two facts remain unexplained by your fantasy. First, he spent four years in office and we are still part of NATO. Second, he put a lot of time and energy into demanding that other countries make good on their financial commitments to NATO. That obviously implies he wants to keep it going.

So I’m going to pay a little less credence to what you imagine a person might have been thinking and a little more into what actually happened.

Did he communicate that to Putin at Helsinki? That would explain why Putin waited.

Or maybe he threatened Putin. That would also explain why he waited, and it would make a lot more sense.

On the other hand, we actually have a recording of Obama telling Putin’s representative to wait until after an election. That’s why this projection of Trump doing something similar is so funny. 

Fantasy or reality. You are dealing in the former, while the rest of us can see the latter.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.19  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.18    2 years ago

I see a lot of whining I don't see anyone disproving my theory. Trump wanted to remove the United States from NATO and he wanted to end NATO. He was also discussing these things in the same time frame when he was meeting with Putin. I also put up a link to that.

The fact that Trump was not able remove the United States from NATO during his first term it's not at all a decisive consideration. He was never able to lay a convincing groundwork for it in his first term and the election season for the second term came around very quickly especially with the dawn of covid. None of that means that Putin could not have worked under the assumption that Trump would do this in his second term.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.19    2 years ago
Trump wanted to remove the United States from NATO and he wanted to end NATO.

I don't suppose you can document any of that, can you?

Sounds like more fantasy to me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.19    2 years ago
I see a lot of whining I don't see anyone disproving my theory.

And no one sees you proving your theory.

I could say that Putin is doing this as a distraction for Biden's domestic woes, but it wouldn't make it so.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.22  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.21    2 years ago

As if there is any love lost between Biden and Putin. Trump never had an unkind word to say about Putin. It is far more likely that there was a secret arrangement between Trump and Putin than between Biden and Putin. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.23  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.19    2 years ago
I see a lot of whining

Maybe you see what you want to see. Someone disagrees with you, and you call it “whining.”

I don't see anyone disproving my theory.

Would you be willing to see it? I posted a link in @9.2.10.

It’s not up to us to disprove your theory. It’s up to you to prove it. But your “proof” is full of suspicion, partisanship, and imagination. Not surprising because the facts available tend to refute your theory. I and others and have given you reason to doubt your theory, but you refuse to consider any of it. So again, what are you willing to see?

The fact that Trump was not able remove the United States from NATO during his first term it's not at all a decisive consideration.

It’s pretty compelling, actually. Especially so in light of the lack of effort. Where is the address to Congress demanding we remove the US from NATO? Where is the executive order? He certainly signed enough of them. 

None of that means that Putin could not have worked under the assumption that Trump would do this in his second term.

True. Anything is possible and there is nothing to prevent a person from engaging in irrational thinking.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.1.24  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.4    2 years ago
You look it up

To answer like a liberal.....

You made the accusation.

You provide the proof.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.22    2 years ago

thank you for missing the point!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.9    2 years ago

There are worse Americans right here on Newstalkers

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.19    2 years ago
"it's not at all a decisive consideration"

Yeah, when I think of whatshisname - I think he's spent his whole life doing that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Making decisive considerations.  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.22    2 years ago
It is far more likely that there was a secret arrangement between Trump and Putin than between Biden and Putin. 

Sure there is--in deluded, sick minds!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
9.1.29  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.18    2 years ago
You can claim that Trump wanted this or that, but two facts remain unexplained by your fantasy. First, he spent four years in office and we are still part of NATO. Second, he put a lot of time and energy into demanding that other countries make good on their financial commitments to NATO. That obviously implies he wants to keep it going.

R u aware that Obama wanted the European countries to Pay MORE towards NATO ? As in the same % as the US does per GDP i believe, and the 'Right" belittled Obama for that suggestion, but when Trump ,mentions it, its awesome....?

Why would Trump meet alone with Putin ? Why did he SIDE WITH PUTIN PUBLICALLY< OVER OUR OWN INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES ?Without considering this, and the fact Trump NERVER had negative things to say about Putin, one really must question Trump, and his motives, for to just give him a pass, is downright Foolish !

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.30  Tacos!  replied to  igknorantzrulz @9.1.29    2 years ago
R u aware that Obama wanted the European countries to Pay MORE towards NATO ?

I didn’t come into this saying anything negative about Obama. If he did want that, that’s fine, but Trump is the one who got it done. Although, my understanding of it based on the reporting is that any improvements in contributions are not all that significant, really.

but when Trump ,mentions it, its awesome....?

I would consider it awesome any time someone sticks up for the United States and demands that other nations do their part. It’s even more awesome if they can actually make it happen.

I feel like we do an awful lot for the world, and it’s not appreciated. What’s more, a lot of the money spent protecting the world could be going to my healthcare or our highways, etc. I hear all about the great healthcare systems other countries have, but they don’t have to pay for hundreds of military bases in every corner of the planet.

Why would Trump meet alone with Putin ?

I couldn’t guess. On the other hand, I’m not going to go around inventing some explanation without proof.

Why did he SIDE WITH PUTIN PUBLICALLY< OVER OUR OWN INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES ?

Ya know what? There are a lot of dirty cops in this country. A lot of dirty attorneys, too. If you want to put your head in the sand and not acknowledge that, I guess I can’t help you. But not only do these people exist, a lot of them work for the federal government. If they were making shit up about me, getting warrants by lying on affidavits, by submitting evidence they knew was bogus . . . Yeah, I don’t think I’d be very friendly to them in public myself.

to just give him a pass

I don’t give Trump passes. I criticize him for the real shit he says and does (or fails to do). If I genuinely thought Trump favored Russia over the US, I would eagerly disapprove of him for it. If I genuinely thought he wanted to disband NATO, I would think him a greater fool than I already do. 

I have said it many times and I will repeat it here: There are tons of things Trump does or says that are worthy of criticism and condemnation. It’s not necessary to exaggerate or make things up, and yet that happens all the time with him. 

On the other hand, few people are evil 100% of the time and even Trump has some thoughts on public policy - foreign and domestic - that I can agree with. So even though I didn’t particularly want him to be president and wish he would just go away now, I’m not going to buy into every bullshit bit of drama that gets published about him.

MsMarple
Freshman Silent
9.2  MsMarple  replied to  Tacos! @9    2 years ago
it wasn’t because he didn’t think NATO was a good idea

Please, Trump had no clue of what NATO was, or why, let alone whether it was a good idea. Heavy lifting? Spending? Trump was posturing for his retarded base because somebody told him it was a good shtick.
Apparently it worked...
If Trump knew a bad deal - he'd not be known as a Bankruptcy King.

SHEESH

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  MsMarple @9.2    2 years ago

There is no defense of the human fuck up machine that inhabits the Oval Office now. 

All the left can do is scream "But Trruuummmppppp" as loud as they fucking can and pray there are still enough of the TDS driven out there to care.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ronin2 @9.2.1    2 years ago

When Trump was in office he had to be treated with kid gloves by those who had to educate him on military options he assumed with the job.  Remember when he said “why do we have nukes if we’re not allowed to use them?”  Trump is the deranged one.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.2.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @9.2.1    2 years ago

Pay attention

President Donald Trump has reportedly suggested on multiple occasions that the United States withdraw from  NATO  — a maneuver that would roil the global community and signal a major victory for  Russia .
According to the New York Times, Trump brought up pulling out of NATO several times in 2018.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.2.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @9.2.3    2 years ago

An anticipation that Trump would end NATO would indeed give Putin a reason to hold off any move against Ukraine

Wikipedia

2018 Russia–United States summit

Meeting between Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin in Helsinki on 16 July 2018

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.2.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @9.2.4    2 years ago

Trump had a private meeting with Putin in the same time period he was discussing withdrawing from NATO. Doesn't take genius to see it may have been discussed at the private meeting which would have given Putin a motivation to not attack Ukraine during Trump's term.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9.2.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @9.2.4    2 years ago

Why would he hold off after Biden said:

"Putin knows that when I am president of the United States his days of tyranny and trying to intimidate the United States and those in Eastern Europe are over," Joe Biden 2019

JBB
Professor Principal
9.2.7  JBB  replied to  Right Down the Center @9.2.6    2 years ago

Outside the Fox News / Newsmax far rightwing bubble Biden and his administration are being praised for their leadership regarding Ukraine. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9.2.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @9.2.7    2 years ago

You mean MSNBC and CNN and other left wing bubbles?  Maybe you should ask the Ukrainians what they think.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.2.5    2 years ago

My God, is there ANYTHING that the left won't make shit up about?

How many crack-pot leftist theories about Helsinki ARE there, anyways?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.2.10  Tacos!  replied to  MsMarple @9.2    2 years ago
Please, Trump had no clue of what NATO was, or why, let alone whether it was a good idea

I’m glad you’re hear to read Trump’s mind for us.

In gesture to Trump, US allies close to deal to pay more for NATO running costs

Trump has accused European allies, especially Europe’s biggest economy Germany, of taking U.S. protection for granted and says they need to spend much more on their own defense. The reform of financing for the U.S.-led military alliance would seal months of negotiations after NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg put forward a proposal.

Accusations? Months of negotiations? That’s a lot of effort toward something he has no clue of.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.2.11  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @9.2.5    2 years ago
Doesn't take genius to see it may have been discussed at the private meeting which would have given Putin a motivation to not attack Ukraine during Trump's term.

In other words, your whole approach is based in your own imagination. Why should anyone take anything you are saying seriously? Anyone can imagine all sorts of terrible things about anyone.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @9.2.11    2 years ago

Apparently there is no level too low for people to stoop to when inventing things and imagining whatever they were led to believe by "news".

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9.2.13  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tacos! @9.2.11    2 years ago

The scary thing is they spout it off as if it were fact.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.2.14  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @9.2.2    2 years ago

What kills me are the people that believe that there are actually two sides to this story. 

People like that maybe this country's biggest problem.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.2.15  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @9.2.14    2 years ago
What kills me are the people that believe that there are actually two sides to this story. 

No there is only one side...

Biden is a fuck up.

That's why Putin made his move.

user image
Freshman Silent
9.2.16    replied to  bugsy @9.2.15    2 years ago

So you side with putin?

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.2.17  bugsy  replied to  @9.2.16    2 years ago

Uh, no, and stop putting words that do not exist in my posts

I side with the Ukranian people

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  @9.2.16    2 years ago
So you side with putin?

Fun fact:

Declaring Biden to be a fuck up (which he is) is a totally separate issue from siding with Putin, and since no mention was made of siding with Putin besides your snarky comment, why are you once again deflecting?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Fact checkers arrive for work during Trump's CPAC speech.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @10    2 years ago

Check again, those are Democrat politicians violating their own mask and travel restrictions by going to Florida.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
11  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

The fact that Putin did not invade while Trump was president is indisputable.  Whether one had anything to do with the other is nothing but pure conjecture.  The only way to know for sure is to be in Putins head and from what I can tell that is a place no one wants to be.

user image
Freshman Silent
12      2 years ago

Volunteered at 17, USMC here [Deleted] Iraq 2006/2008 so unless you can name actual combat tours [Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.1  bugsy  replied to  @12    2 years ago

Here ya go.

Of course, insulting others is your forte...but we knew that. That's what happens when someone is called out for their story making.

1985-1989 USS Midway CV 41

1989-1991  USS New Jersey BB 62 (decommissioned for the last time)

1991=1993 Long Beach, Ca

1993-1996 USS Independence CV 62

1996-1999 USS Connoly DD 979

1999-2002 FACSFAX Jax NAS Jacksonville

2002-2005 USS Kennedy CV 67

then retired.

Participated in both Gulf Wars, spent many months off the coast of Iran/Iraq in the Persian Gulf. Controlled aircraft in and out of their combat runs in country and every shithole this world has to offer.

So, [Deleted] I proved my history. Saying you "did" something in 2006 only puts doubt on your "service".

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.1  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @12.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.1.2  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @12.1.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.1.3  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @12.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.2  bugsy  replied to  @12    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.2.1  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @12.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  bugsy @12.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @12.2.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  bugsy @12.2.3    2 years ago

removed for context

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.2.5  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @12.2.4    2 years ago

Removed for context.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

Thread @2.1 cleaned up.  Play nice.

bugsy
Professor Participates
13.1  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13    2 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @13.1    2 years ago

First, did you flag it?  I can't read every comment.

Second, some of your comments were violations which were deleted without being ticketed, too.  You're welcome.