╌>

Washington woman Margaret Channo sentenced for burning police cars at protest

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   David Aaro, Fox News (New York Post)

Washington woman Margaret Channo sentenced for burning police cars at protest
Channon admitted to smashing the window at the Verizon Store and destroying the electronic cash register at a sandwich shop, according to the release.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Washington State woman was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday for setting nearly a half dozen police vehicles on fire during protests in downtown Seattle in 2020.

Margaret Aislinn Channon, 26, from Tacoma, was captured on video using fire and aerosol cans to light five Seattle Police Department vehicles on fire during a May 30 protest - following the death of George Floyd, according to a news release from the Department of Justice.

U.S. District Judge John C. Coughenour said her actions did "tremendous damage to Black Lives Matter in Seattle."

"The right to protest, gather, and call out injustices is one of the dearest and most important rights we enjoy in the United States," added U.S. Attorney Nick Brown. "Indeed, our democracy depends on both exercising and protecting these rights. But Ms. Channon's conduct was itself an attack on democracy. She used the cover of lawful protests to carry out dangerous and destructive acts, risking the safety of everyone around her and undermining the important messages voiced by others."

In their sentencing memo, prosecutors noted that hundreds of people were standing in the vicinity where the police cars were burned, and some people were "only a few feet away."

"All of them were in harm's way if one of the vehicles had exploded," the memo stated.

Margaret Channon, who lit the car on fire along with several other police vehicles during the protest, was sentenced to five years in prison.Megan Farmer

Video also captured Channon entering various stores and stealing clothing, prosecutors said. Channon admitted to smashing the window at the Verizon Store and destroying the electronic cash register at a sandwich shop, according to the release.

Investigators identified Channon based on her clothing, tattoos, and information from her social media accounts.

Tacoma Woman Sentenced to Five Years in Prison for Arson at Downtown Seattle Protest: Margaret Aislinn Channon of Tacoma, Washington, has been sentenced to five years in prison for arson for burning five Seattle Police vehicles. https://t.co/CJZD1ZgRdJ — FBI Seattle (@FBISeattle) March 1, 2022

She was arrested on June 11, 2020, following an investigation by the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), and the Seattle Police Department.

"It should be clear that lawful protests do not include the use of violent actions such as breaking store windows and committing theft and arson," said ATF Seattle Field Division Special Agent in Charge Jonathan T. McPherson.

Channon pleaded guilty to arson last September.

Margaret Channon used fire and aerosol cans to light five Seattle Police Department vehicles on fire during a May 30 protest, according to the Department of Justice. 

In a letter to the court, Channon apologized for her actions, according to the Tacoma News Tribune

"Black Lives Matter is an organization with leadership that does not condone illegal activity," Channon wrote. "I apologize to the many workers and activists - who have given decades of their lives to building a countermeasure to police violence — that did not want to see fire in June of 2020."

Channon is responsible for restitution and will be on three years of supervised release following her prison term, the release stated.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Five years in prison is not enough.

Question:  What kind of judge worries about the reputation of a terror group like BLM?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago
Five years in prison is not enough.

But according to conservatives BLM and ANTIFA were all just let go. Now it's "Five years in prison is not enough"? Funny how the goal posts magically shift for conservatives convenience.

For the record, I'm glad she was arrested, tried, convicted and sentenced as any who took part in violence, vandalism, looting or arson should be. The "left", aka the majority of liberals and progressives, condemn such violence and vandalism regardless of which side of the political aisle it comes from. Anyone using violence, vandalism, looting or arson for any reason other than to oppose a foreign aggressor like Russia should be considered an extremist and/or domestic terrorist.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago
But according to conservatives BLM and ANTIFA were all just let go.

MOST WERE LET GO!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago
MOST WERE LET GO!

MOST WERE ARRESTED ON TRESSPASSING OR FAILURE TO DISPERSE CHARGES! OF COURSE THEY WERE LET GO.

I don't buy the bullshit narrative coming from conservatives that those on the "left" were supposedly just "let go" as if there was any actual hard evidence proving they committed a crime but were let go anyway because they were "leftists". What utter horseshit.

The reality is that those who were caught committing a crime or were filmed committing a crime that were found and arrested have been charged with crimes just like the woman above. We just don't hear all about every case as it often takes more than a year to get through the court system. For the some 14,000 who were arrested on trespassing charges or failure to disperse charges they're likely going to be let go not because of any political affiliation but because they evidence of any crime was way too thin.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

One out how many thousands? There were more than that was done dozens of LEOs were temporarily or permanently blinded by lasers shined in there eyes. There were more than just 5 police cruisers burned. There  were dozens of buildings destroyed. There were dozens or even hundreds of businesses looted. There were thousand of lives disrupted. The above is true for both the BLM protests as well if the 2016 temper tantrum riots in support of and supported by Hillary Clinton. 

Most of the crimes committed in bit the BLM riots and the Clinton support riot caused much more damage injuries and deaths than the January 6 protest. There was only one death and that was the death of a protester that did nothing to deserve the death penalty and the person that shit her suffered no consequences. There were no arson fires, there was only very minor looting.

So just a single rioter from Seattle is nothing compared to those wrongly prosecuted for January 6

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  arkpdx @1.1.3    2 years ago
One out how many thousands?

Do you really think there was only "one" rioter brought to justice out of all those arrested in 2020? Do you only list those you count as "leftists" or do the right wing extremists who used violence at those protests also count like Steven Carrillo who plead guilty to killing a security guard (which was at the time blamed on 'leftists' by slimy conservatives) and is looking at likely 40 years to life?

It's true, the majority of the arrests and prosecutions from the protests in 2020 are going against right wing instigators like Steven Carrillo and Harrison Hunter. And of course you leave out the extra-judicial killing of the self-proclaimed anti-fascist Michael Reinoehl. Was that not another 'leftist' who supposedly got their due from their actions during the protests?

Most of the crimes committed in bit the BLM riots and the Clinton support riot caused much more damage injuries and deaths than the January 6 protest

Nothing that happened during the 2020 protests caused as much damage to America as what happened on January 6th. It's not about the financial cost, it was about what we represent as a nation, our constitution and Democracy was physically threatened and for some reason conservatives can't get their tiny brains around that fact. Just because they didn't succeed doesn't make it any less egregious and serious.

Besides, the FACT is 93% of the Floyd protests were peaceful and should have been listened to but were ignored because of the conservative baboons screaming at the top of their lungs about the 7% that turned into riots and they did include right wing instigators who have been arrested and charged with assault and murder. And none of those protests, even the few that turned violent, were attempting to subvert the peaceful transition of power as required by our constitution through the violence, vandalism and looting.

You claim it's "minor looting" but that's just an attempt to trivialize right wing looting by putting a dollar figure on it. But you're right, there is a monetary difference between stealing a $500 lectern and stealing a $1000 TV. But that's if you only care about the monetary cost. There is also a patriotic significance and difference which is that any citizen who actually cherishes America and our constitution would know that vandalizing the halls of congress is a slap in the face to patriotic Americans and to all the men and women in uniform who risk their lives to protect our nation and constitution. But it's true, the despicable attack on our nation and democracy had a lower monetary cost than the handful of civil rights protests of 2020 that turned violent, which I guess is all some scum care about.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  arkpdx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.4    2 years ago
, our constitution and Democracy was physically threatened 

And that is a bunch of BS. They were no more endangered than the riots in 2016-17 that was trying to force the government to install the loser Hillary as president. The only difference is the locations and the violence and damage that occurred. There were also those hilliary supporters that tried to bribe elector in the Electoral College to be faithless .

FACT is 93% of the Floyd protests were peaceful. 

I see you are listening to the left wing jackasses false propaganda. I live near Portland Oregon and I lived through the month of almost daily riots that were far from peaceful. Portland downtown is still trying to recover and many of the businesses have just removed the plywood from their store fronts. 

I mentioned the riots after the 2016 election. It is notable that you ignored them

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    2 years ago

I thought they let them get away with it all in Portland.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago
I thought they let them get away with it all in Portland.

Obviously you thought wrong then.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago

Pretty much just the majority of them...........and I believe you know that..

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2    2 years ago

You mean like most Jan 6th Insurrectionists?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @2.2.1    2 years ago

I don't think 700 people sitting in jail justifies that statement.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.3  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.2    2 years ago

I don't think you know you're making my case!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @2.2.3    2 years ago

It is becoming painfully evident that you don't know what your case is. Or you think that there are a lot more who should be sitting in jail with the 700. Again, hardly the majority of them in Portland went to jail oooooorrrrr are still there.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.4    2 years ago

Applying logic and reason are a waste of time for some posters.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @2.2.1    2 years ago

Keep telling yourself that lie if it helps you sleep at night.

This is reality. A small fraction of those at the Jan 6th protest rioted. Those people are being hunted down and charged. Also being hunted down and charged are those that came after the riot was over- and walked past police that did nothing to stop them. They are being charged with parading and demonstrating or picketing in the capital building. Trumped up (pun intended to set off the TDS suffering) charges.

If only the same dogged determination were shown hunting down and charging BLM and Antifa rioters that assaulted federal officers and destroyed federal property.

Of course the media and Democrat politicians gave their leftist Brown Shirts cover. Don't see them being investigated like Democrats want to do to Republicans in DC.

Wonderful two tier justice system we have now. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.3  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago

They did in Portland. This one was from Tacoma WA. and was arrested and tried in Seattle. Both cities are about 200 miles from Portland and in another state. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.3.1  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @2.3    2 years ago

Thousands were arrested in BLM protests...

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @2.3.1    2 years ago

And the most of those thousands had their charges dropped. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
"Black Lives Matter is an organization with leadership that does not condone illegal activity,"

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif Oh that's funny.  

Her sentence should match those of the January 6 protest.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 years ago

Has she been sitting in jail all this time like they were?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 years ago

I'm not going to say for sure she has but I think we both know she hasn't.  My money is that she was released THAT NIGHT with the help of some liberal friends.  And what little time she was in jail, surely wasn't in the same shitty conditions.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ronin2  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 years ago

You would think; but we have a wonderful two tier justice system. Given her BLM affiliation it is a miracle she was charged at all.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @3.2    2 years ago
her BLM affiliation

I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it.  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.3  arkpdx  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 years ago

That is funny because it was a BLM leader that said if they didn't get their way they were going to burn the country down

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I think just looking at her face would scare the shit out of anyone.  But what the hell, I don't take criticism of leftist illegalities during the BLM protests seriously by anyone who says January 6th wasn't an illegal event, and agrees with Kyle Rittenhouse's not guilty verdict. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

Reminds me of a crazy girl I knew back in my SDS days. Beautiful but radical to a fault.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
4.1.1  Moose Knuckle  replied to  cjcold @4.1    2 years ago

To each their own I guess, she looks like a man to me.