╌>

Michigan GOP Condemns Candidate's Comment to 'Lie Back and Enjoy' Rape

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  2 years ago  •  32 comments

By:   Erin Brady

Michigan GOP Condemns Candidate's Comment to 'Lie Back and Enjoy' Rape
"Well if rape is inevitable, you should just lie back and enjoy it."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

R epublican officials in Michigan are condemning one of their own after a candidate for the state House made a controversial comment about sexual assault.

Robert "RJ" Regan is under fire for what he said during a livestream on March 6. When asked about how sexual assault is perceived as inevitable and unpreventable, he said: "Well if rape is inevitable, you should just lie back and enjoy it."

The comment has received bipartisan condemnation. Michigan Republican Party Chairman Ron Weiser released a statement saying that Regan should have known better than to comment like that on such a sensitive topic.

"We are better than this as a party and I absolutely expect better than this of our candidates," he wrote.

The Associated Press reported that Michigan Speaker of the House Jason Wentworth condemned Regan's comments as well.   Newsweek   has reached out to Wentworth to obtain his full statement.

Other   Repu bli cans   in the state have made their ire with Regan's comments known.

"As a Christian, a public servant and a father of two daughters, I find Robert Regan's comments about sexual assault to be revolting and immoral, and I strongly denounce them," state Senator Mark Huizenga said.

Regan is running to represent the 8th Congressional District. Its former representative, Kent County Chairman Rob VerHeulen, also condemned the comment.

"As a former representative of this district, I am appalled to hear the comments from Mr. Regan. These comments are offensive, dangerous and unbecoming of any candidate for public office," VerHeulen said. "The Kent County Republican Party stands with the Michigan Republican Party and I believe Mr. Regan owes an apology immediately."

Despite the criticism, no state lawmakers have called for Regan to withdraw from the race.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    2 years ago

Regan couldn't even use an original disgusting comment.  Clayton Williams said the same freaking thing years ago when he ran for Governor of Texas.  He lost.

Creeps, both.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    2 years ago

GOP family values. their 2nd favorite phrase is "don't you want to be awake for this?"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago
GOP family values.

So you simply refuse to acknowledge the article specifically pointing out how the GOP has called him out for his remarks.

Good use of selective reading to support your "point".

/s

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    2 years ago
Good use of selective reading to support your "point".

ezpz, long ago I used to be a republican...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    2 years ago

Highly doubtful.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    2 years ago
So you simply refuse to acknowledge the article specifically pointing out how the GOP has called him out for his remarks.

Do you acknowledge that there has now been 2 republicans stating this remark?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    2 years ago

Me too.  For many years.  But that was back before the republican motto was "I got mine, fuck you".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.4    2 years ago
Do you acknowledge that there has now been 2 republicans stating this remark?

yes, have you even seen me deny it even ONCE?????????????????????????

WTF does that have to do with me pointing out the idiocy of blaming the entire GOP for what a couple of people have said stupidly?

Here is a little gem from one of your progressive liberal heroines, should we just assume all Democrats believe her and are stupid, too?

2b907f2a385f59cf6a5b9f756d406687.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.5    2 years ago
But that was back before the republican motto was "I got mine, fuck you"

That simply proves you have no idea what you are talking about.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    2 years ago
That simply proves you have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you in denial again Texan?  I was a republican for longer than you've been born.  I am kind of embarrassed it took me so long to discover the true direction republicans are trying to go.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.8    2 years ago

no denial, just facts, perhaps that's what's throwing you off.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

This sounds exactly what the dimwit in Missouri said a few years back and it cost him the election. 

What a fricking moron this guy is.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

It's amazing to me how some men just don't get it. They should tar and feather him and run him out of town on a rail

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

How about this Regan.  You get ganged banged and see if you just lie back and enjoy it.

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    2 years ago

Regen's stock just went up among the Trumpy gop! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago
Regen's stock just went up among the Trumpy gop! 

Inane.

Veronica
Professor Guide
6  Veronica    2 years ago

It appears that they have a potential sexual assaulter running for office there.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Veronica @6    2 years ago

[REMOVED, sweeping gen, and trolling]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Veronica @6    2 years ago

It is not the first time as evidenced in 2016.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

Stephanie Regan, the daughter of Republican state House candidate Robert Regan, writes, "If you're in Michigan and 18+ pls for the love of god do not vote for my dad for state rep. Tell everyone."

June, 2020

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7    2 years ago

That's cold

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1    2 years ago

Paul Gosar had most of his family doing the same thing.  It’s a Republican thing.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
8  Duck Hawk    2 years ago

Didn't  Rep. Gosar's (AZ) family do a similar thing to him for being such a shit.

Ender
Professor Principal
9  Ender    2 years ago

Always the best and brightest running for office...

I wonder if anyone informed that jackass that men get raped as well.

I wonder if he would lay there and enjoy it...

charger 383
Professor Silent
10  charger 383    2 years ago

over the years That remark has backfired on most who have said it.  One of those things it is probably wise not to say.  Basketball Coach Bobby Knight even got in trouble for saying that

Ender
Professor Principal
10.1  Ender  replied to  charger 383 @10    2 years ago

Dumb to think, even dumber to express out loud.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

The GOP needs to start pulling all party support from candidates who say shit like this.  If it's an incumbent instead of a candidate, they need to start calling for resignation.

I mean, the GOP censured Cindy McCain for saying Trump lost the election.  They surely should be censuring members who pull this shit.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
11.1  bbl-1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11    2 years ago

I assume you continue to believe that the GOP is a legitimate participant in the politics of this republic?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
12  Dismayed Patriot    2 years ago

"Well if rape is inevitable, you should just lie back and enjoy it." Republican Robert "RJ" Regan

“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” - Republican Senate candidate Todd Akin

Texas Republican Rep. Jody Laubenberg said women don't need access to abortion due to rape because of “what’s called rape kits, where a woman can get cleaned out.”

Even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that . . . is something that God intended to happen,” Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock

Right-wing conservative Republican pundit Dana Loesch didn’t see what the big deal was with a Virginia law that would have required a trans-vaginal ultrasound before any abortion, according to her women should have “no problem having similar to a trans-vaginal procedure when they engaged in the act that resulted in their pregnancy.”

Watch a sonogram of a 15-week baby . . . If they’re a male baby, they may have their hand between their legs. If they feel pleasure, why is it so hard to believe that they could feel pain?” Texas Republican Representative Michael Burgess

"We are better than this as a party and I absolutely expect better than this of our candidates," Michigan Republican Party Chairman Ron Weiser

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Ron, but the Republican party is not "better than this", their brand is this.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
13  bbl-1    2 years ago

Just let them go.  Lais-sez faire this GOP.  Let them bite and snarl on rape, Choice, gays and guns.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14  Thrawn 31    2 years ago
We are better than this as a party

Are you though?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
14.1  bbl-1  replied to  Thrawn 31 @14    2 years ago

Not a party.  Cult.