╌>

The War in Ukraine Could Change Everything

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  2 years ago  •  64 comments

By:   Yuval Noah Harari

The War in Ukraine Could Change Everything
Since 1945, not a single internationally recognized country was wiped off the map by external invasion. This was the common thing in history. Until then and then it stopped. This is an amazing achievement, which is the basis for everything we have, for our medical services, for education system, and this is all now in jeopardy.

This is a great, informative, perspective-setting discussion.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Transcript Buzz

Bruno Giussani: We are at the end of day six of the war in Ukraine or, more correctly, of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, launched on February 24 by President Vladimir Putin. We are all shocked and saddened by the events and by the human suffering they are causing. And as we speak, really, a Russian military convoy is headed towards Kyiv, other Ukrainian cities are being bombarded, half a million Ukrainians have already fled to neighboring countries and much more. It's still early days, and it's difficult to predict how the situation will evolve even just in the next few hours. But this is a war that should concern everyone, everywhere. And so today, in this TED Membership conversation, we want to try to give it a broader context with our guest, historian and author, Yuval Noah Harari. Yuval, welcome.

Yuval Noah Harari: Hello. Thank you for inviting me.

BG: I want to start from Ukraine itself and its 42 million people and its particular place between the East and the West. What do we need to know about Ukraine to understand this war and what's at stake?

YNH: The most crucial thing to know is that Ukrainians are not Russians, and that Ukraine is an ancient, independent nation. Ukraine has a history of more than a thousand years. Kyiv was a major metropolis and cultural center when Moscow was not even a village. For most of these thousand years Kyiv was not ruled by Moscow. They were not part of the same political entity. For centuries, Kyiv was looking westwards and was a part of a union with Lithuania and Poland until it was eventually conquered and absorbed by the Russian Empire, by the czarist empire. But even after that, Ukrainians remained a separate people to a large extent, and it's important to know that because this is really what is at stake in this war. The key issue of the war, at least for President Putin, is whether Ukraine is an independent nation, whether it is a nation at all. He has this fantasy that Ukraine isn't a nation, that Ukraine is just a part of Russia, that Ukrainians are Russians. In his fantasy, Ukrainians are Russians that want to be back in the fold of Mother Russia, and that the only ones preventing it is a very small gang at the top, which he portrays as Nazis, even if the president is Jewish; but OK, a Nazi Jew. And his belief was, at least, that he just needs to invade, Zelenskyy will flee, the government will collapse, the army would lay down its arms, and the Ukrainian people would welcome the Russian liberators, throwing flowers on them. And this fantasy has been shattered already. Zelenskyy hasn’t fled, the Ukrainian army is fighting. And the Ukrainian people is not throwing flowers on the Russian tanks, it's throwing Molotov cocktails.

BG: So let's unpack that and maybe take the different pieces one way one. So Ukraine has a long history of being dominated and occupied. You mentioned the czar, but also the Soviet Union, Hitler's armies. It also has a long history of mistrust of authority and of resistance, which goes some way to explain the current strong resistance that the Russians are encountering. Anne Applebaum, the journalist, even suggests that this mistrust, this resistance to authority, is the very essence of Ukraine-ness, do you agree?

YNH: We did see in the last 30 years Ukrainians twice rising in revolt when there was a danger of an authoritarian regime being established -- once in 2004, once in 2013. And when I was in Kyiv a few years ago, what really struck me was this very strong feeling of the desire for independence and for democracy. And I remember walking around this museum of the Revolution of 2013-2014 and seeing these images, like these two elderly women who were bringing sandwiches to the demonstrators, to the fighters. They couldn’t throw stones and they couldn’t do anything else, so they prepared sandwiches and brought this huge tray full of sandwiches to the demonstrators. And this, yes, this is the kind of spirit that inspires not just the Ukrainians but everybody who is now watching what is happening there.

BG: Help me understand the actual nature of the threat here in terms of Russia moving into Ukraine. So in your last book, when you write about Russia, you describe the Russian model as: “not a coherent political ideology, but rather a sort of practice of monopolizing power and wealth by a small group at the top." But then, in his actions against Ukraine, Putin in the last few weeks seems to move very much by an ideology, an ideology of empire, of denial of Ukraine's right to exist, as you mention. What has changed in the four years since you wrote that book?

YNH: The imperial dream was always there, but you know, empires are often the creation of a very small gang of people at the top. I don’t think the Russian people [are] interested in this war. I don't think that the Russian people want to conquer Ukraine or to slaughter the citizens of Kyiv. It's all coming from the top. So there is no change there. I mean, when you look at the Soviet Union, you can say that there was this mass ideology, which was shared by a large proportion, or some proportion, of the population. You don't see this now. You know, Russia is a very rich country, rich in resources, but most people are very poor. Their standard of living is very, very low because all the wealth and power is kind of sucked by the people at the top, and very little is left for everybody else. So I don't think it's a society where the masses are part of this kind of ideological project. They're being ruled from the top. And you have this classic imperial situation, when the emperor, which controls the largest country in the world, feels that, "Hey, this is not enough. I need more." And sends his army to capture, to extend the empire.

BG: I said at the beginning that it's difficult, of course, to make predictions. But yesterday, you published an article in "The Guardian" titled: “Why Putin has already lost this war.” Please explain.

YNH: Well, one thing should be very clear. I don't mean to say that he's going to suffer an immediate military defeat. He definitely has the military power to conquer Kyiv and perhaps the whole of Ukraine. Unfortunately, we might see this. But his long-term goal, the whole rationale of the war, is to deny the existence of the Ukrainian nation and to absorb it into Russia. And to do that, it's not enough to conquer Ukraine. You also need to hold it. And it's all based on this fantasy, on this gamble, that most of the population in Ukraine would agree to this, would even welcome this. And we already know that it's not true. That the Ukrainians are a very real nation; they are fiercely independent; they don’t want to be part of Russia; they will fight like hell. And in the long-run, again, you can conquer a country, But as the Russians learned in Afghanistan, as the Americans learned also in Afghanistan, also in Iraq, it's much harder to hold a country. And again, the big question mark before the war was always this. Before the war started, many things were already known. Everybody knew that the Russian army is much stronger than the Ukrainian Army. Everybody knew that NATO will not send armed forces into Ukraine, troops into Ukraine. Everybody knew that the West, the Europeans, would be hesitant about imposing too strict a sanction regime for fear of being hurt by it themselves. And this was the basis for Putin's war plan. But there was one big unknown. Nobody could say for sure how the Ukrainian people would react. And there was always the option that maybe Putin's fantasy would come true. Maybe the Russians will march in, Zelenskyy would flee, maybe the Ukrainian army will just capitulate and the population would not do much. This was always an option. And now we know this was just fantasy. Now we know that the Ukrainians are fighting, they will fight. And this derails the whole rationale of Putin’s war. Because you can conquer the country, maybe, but you won't be able to absorb Ukraine back into Russia. The only thing he's accomplishing, he is planting seeds of hatred in the hearts of every Ukrainian. Every Ukrainian being killed, every day this war continues is more seeds of hatred that may last for generations. Ukrainians and Russians didn't hate each other before Putin. They’re siblings. Now he's making them enemies. And if he continues, this will be his legacy.

BG: We're going to talk a bit about that again later but, you know, at the same time, Putin needs a victory, right? The cost, the human, economic, political cost of this war, not even a week in, is already astronomical. So to justify it and also to remain, by the way, a viable leader at the head of Russia, Putin needs to win, and even win convincingly. So how do we square these things?

YNH: I don't know. I mean, the fact that you need to win doesn't mean that you can win. Lots of political leaders need to win, and sometimes they lose. He could stop the war, declare that he won, and say that recognizing Luhansk and Donetsk by the Russians is what he really wanted all along, and he achieved this. Maybe they cobble this agreement, or I don’t know. This is the job of politicians, I'm not a politician. But I can tell you that I hope, for the sake of everybody -- Ukrainians, Russians and the whole of humanity -- that this war stops immediately. Because if it doesn't, it's not only the Ukrainians and the Russians that will suffer terribly. Everybody will suffer terribly if this war continues.

BG: Explain why.

YNH: Because of the shock waves destabilizing the whole world. Let’s start with the bottom line: budgets. We have been living in an amazing era of peace in the last few decades. And it wasn't some kind of hippie fantasy. You saw it in the bottom line. You saw it in the budgets. In Europe, in the European Union, the average defense budget of EU members was around three percent of government budget. And that's a historical miracle, almost. For most of history, the budget of kings and emperors and sultans, like 50 percent, 80 percent goes to war, goes to the army. In Europe, it’s just three percent. In the whole world, the average is about six percent, I think, fact-check me on this, but this is the figure that I know, six percent. What we saw already within a few days, Germany doubles its military budget in a day. And I'm not against it. Given what they are facing, it's reasonable. For the Germans, for the Poles, for all of Europe to double their budgets. And you see other countries around the world doing the same thing. But this is, you know, a race to the bottom. When they double their budgets, other countries look and feel insecure and double their budgets, so they have to double them again and triple them. And the money that should go to health care, that should go to education, that should go to fight climate change, this money will now go to tanks, to missiles, to fighting wars. So there is less health care for everybody, and there is maybe no solution to climate change because the money goes to tanks. And in this way, even if you live in Australia, even if you live in Brazil, you will feel the repercussions of this war in less health care, in a deteriorating ecological crisis, in many other things. Again, another very central question is technology. We are on the verge, we are already in the middle, actually, of new technological arms races in fields like artificial intelligence. And we need global agreement about how to regulate AI and to prevent the worst scenarios. How can we get a global agreement on AI when you have a new cold war, a new hot war? So in this field, to all hopes of stopping the AI arms race will go up in smoke if this war continues. So again, everybody around the world will feel the consequences in many ways. This is much, much bigger than just another regional conflict.

BG: If one of Putin's goals here is to divide Europe, to weaken the transatlantic alliance and the global liberal order, he seems to kind of accidentally have revitalized all of them in a way. US-EU relations have never been so close in many years. And so how do you read that?

YNH: Well, again, in this sense, he also lost the war. If his aim was to divide Europe, to divide NATO, he's achieved exactly the opposite. I mean, I was amazed by how quick, how strong and how unanimous the European reaction was. I think the Europeans surprised themselves. You even see countries like Finland and Sweden sending arms to Ukraine and closing their airspace. They didn't even do it in the Cold War. It's really amazing to see it. I think another very important thing is what has been dividing the West over the several years now, it’s what people term the “culture war”. The culture war between left and right, between conservatives and liberals. And I think this war can be an opportunity to end the culture war within the West, to make peace in the culture war. First of all, because you suddenly realize we are all in this together. There are much bigger things in the world than these arguments between left and right within the Western democracies. And it's a reminder that we need to stand united to protect Western liberal democracies. But it's deeper than that. Much of the argument between left and right seemed to be in terms of a contradiction between liberalism and nationalism. Like, you need to choose. And the right goes with nationalism, and the left goes more liberalism. And Ukraine is a reminder that no, the two actually go together. Historically, nationalism and liberalism are not opposites. They are not enemies. They are friends, they go together. They meet around the central value of freedom, of liberty. And to see a nation fighting for its survival, fighting for its freedom, you see it on Fox News or you see it in CNN. And yes, they tell the story a little differently, but they suddenly see the same reality. And they find common ground. And the common ground is to understand that nationalism is not about hating minorities or hating foreigners, it's about loving your compatriots, and reaching a peaceful agreement about how we want to run our country together. And I hope that seeing what is happening would help to end the culture war in the West. And if this happens, we don't need to worry about anything. You know, when you look at the real power balance, if the Europeans stick together, if the Americans and the Europeans stick together and stop this culture war and stop tearing themselves apart, they have absolutely nothing to fear -- the Russians or anybody else.

BG: I'm going to ask you a question later about the stories the West tells itself, but let me zoom out for a second and get a larger perspective. You wrote another essay last week in “The Economist”, and you argue that what's at stake in Ukraine is, and I quote you, "the direction of human history" because it puts at risk what you call the greatest political and moral achievement of modern civilization, which is the decline of war. So now we are back in a war and potentially afterwards into a new form of cold war or hot war, but hopefully not. Elaborate about that essay you wrote.

YNH: Yeah, I mean, some people think that all this talk about the decline of war was always just a fantasy. But ... Again, you look at the statistics. Since 1945, there has not been a single clash between superpowers, whereas previously in history, this was, you know, the basic stuff of history. Since 1945, not a single internationally recognized country was wiped off the map by external invasion. This was the common thing in history. Until then and then it stopped. This is an amazing achievement, which is the basis for everything we have, for our medical services, for education system, and this is all now in jeopardy. Because this era of peace, it wasn't the result of some miracle. It wasn't the result of a change in the laws of nature. It was humans making better decisions and building better institutions, which means also that there is no guarantee for the future. If humans, some humans, start making bad decisions and start destroying the institutions that kept the peace, then we will be back in the era of war with budgets, military budgets going to 20, 30, 40 percent. It can happen. It's in our hands. And I'll just say one more thing, When, not just me, but other scholars like Steven Pinker and others, talked about the era of peace, some people understood it as kind of encouraging complacency. That, oh, we don't need to worry about anything. No, I mean, the message was really the opposite. It was a message of responsibility. If you think that there is no era of peace in history, it's always war, it's always the jungle, there is a constant level of violence in nature, then this basically means that there is no point struggling for peace and there is no responsibility on leaders like Putin because you can't blame Putin for the war. It's just a law of nature that there are wars. When you realize, no, humans are able to decrease the level of violence, then it should make us much more responsible. And it should also make us understand that the war in Ukraine now, it’s not a natural disaster. It’s a man-made disaster, and a single man. It's not the Russian people who want this war. There's really just a single person who, by his decisions, created this tragedy.

BG: So one of the things that has come back in the last weeks and months is the nuclear threat. It's moved back into the center of political and strategic considerations. Putin has talked about it several times, the other day he ordered Russia's nuclear forces on a higher alert status. President Zelenskyy himself at the Munich Security Conference essentially said that Ukraine had made a mistake abandoning the nuclear weapons it had inherited from the Soviet Union. That's a statement that I suspect many countries are pondering. What's your thinking about the return of the nuclear threat?

YNH: It's extremely frightening. You know, it's like it's almost Freudian, it's the return of the repressed. We thought that, oh, nuclear weapons, yes, there was something about that in the 1960s with the Cuban Missile Crisis and Dr. Strangelove. But no, it's here. And, you know, it took just a few days of difficulties on the battlefield for suddenly -- I mean, I'm watching television, like, the news and you have these experts explaining to people what different nuclear weapons will do to this city or to this country. It rushed back in. So, you know, nuclear weapons are -- in a way they also, until now, preserved the peace of the world. I belong to the school of thought that if it was not for nuclear weapons, we would have had the Third World War between the Soviet Union and the United States and NATO sometime in the 1950s or '60s. That nuclear weapons actually, until today, served a good function. It's because of nuclear weapons that we did not have any more direct clashes between superpowers because it was obvious that this would be collective suicide. But the danger is still there, it's always there. If there is miscalculation, then the results could, of course, be existential, catastrophic.

BG: And at the same time, you know, in the '70s after Cuba and Berlin, and so in the '60s, but in the '70s, we started building a sort of international institutional architecture that helped reduce the risk of military confrontation of nuclear weapons, we used, you know, anything from arms control agreements to measures designed to build trust or to communicate directly and so on. And then in the last decade or so, that has been progressively kind of scrapped, so we are even in a more dangerous situation than we were let's say, at the end of the last century.

YNH: Completely, I mean, we are now reaping the bad fruits of neglect that's been going on for several years, not just about nuclear weapons, but in general, about international institutions and global cooperation. We’ve built, in the late 20th century, a house for humanity based on cooperation, based on collaboration, based on the understanding that our future depends on being able to cooperate, otherwise we will become extinct as a species. And we all live in this house. But in the last few years we stopped -- we neglected it, we stopped repairing it. We allow it to deteriorate more and more. And, you know, eventually it will -- It is collapsing now. So I hope that people will realize before it's too late that we need not just to stop this terrible war, we need to rebuild the institutions, we need to repair the global house in which we all live together. If it falls down, we all die.

BG: So we have, among the audience listening, Rola from -- I don't know where she's from, she grew up in Lebanon -- and she said, "I lived the war, I slept on the ground, I breathed fear. All the reasons were explained to me that the only remaining learning came the war is absurd. We talk about strategy, power, budgets, opportunities, technologies. What about human suffering and psychological trauma?" Especially, I assume what she's asking is what about, what's going to remain, in terms of the human suffering and the psychological trauma going forward?

YNH: Yeah, I mean, these are the seeds of hatred and fear and misery that are being planted right now in the minds and the bodies of tens of millions, hundreds of millions of people, really. Because it's not just the people in Ukraine, it's also in the countries around, all over the world. And these seeds will give a terrible harvest, terrible fruits in years, in decades to come. This is why it's so crucial to stop the war immediately. Every day this continues, plants more and more of these seeds. And, you know, like this war now, its seeds were, to a large extent, planted decades and even centuries ago. That part of the Russian fears that are motivating Putin and motivating people around him is memories of past invasions of Russia, especially, of course, in Second World War. And of course, it's a terrible mistake what they are doing with it. They are recreating again the same things that they should learn to avoid. But yes, these are still the terrible fruits of the seeds being planted in the 1940s.

BG: It's what in same article you call the fact that nations are ultimately built on stories. So these seeds are the stories we are starting to create now. The war in Ukraine is starting to create the stories that are going to have an impact in the future, that's what you're saying.

YNH: Some of the seeds of this war were planted in the siege of Leningrad. And now it gives fruit in the siege of Kyiv, which may give fruit in 40 or 50 years in more terrible ... We need to cut this, we need to stop this. You know, as a historian, I feel sometimes ashamed or responsible, I don't know what, about what history, the knowledge of history is doing to people. In recent weeks, I have been watching all the world leaders talking with Putin, and very often he gave them lectures on history. I think that Macron had a discussion with him for five hours, and afterwards, said, “Most of the time he was lecturing me about history.” And as a historian, I feel ashamed that this is what my profession in some way is doing. I know it for my own country. In Israel, we also suffer from too much history. I think people should be liberated from the past, not constantly repeating it again and again. You know, everybody should kind of free themselves from the memories of the Second World War. It's true of the Russians, it's also true of the Germans. You know, I look at Germany now, and what I really want to say, if there are Germans watching us, what I really want to say to the Germans: guys, we know you are not Nazis. You don't need to keep proving it again and again. What we need from Germany now is to stand up and be a leader, to be at the forefront of the struggle for freedom. And sometimes Germans are afraid that if they speak forcefully or pick up a gun, everybody will say, "Hey, you're Nazis again." No, we won't think that.

BG: That's happening right now. I mean, lots of things that were inconceivable just 10 days ago have happened in the last few weeks. And one of the most striking, to me in any case, is Germany's reaction and transformation. I mean, the new chancellor, Olaf Scholz, the other day announced that Germany will send arms to Ukraine, and will spend an extra 100 billion dollars in building up its army. That reverses completely the principles that have guided Germany's foreign policy and security politics for decades. So that shift is happening exactly at this moment and very, very fast.

YNH: Yeah. And I think it's a good thing. We need the Germans to ... I mean, they are now the leaders of Europe, certainly after Britain left in Brexit. And we need them to, in a way, let go of the past and be in the present. If there is really one country in the world that, as a Jew, as an Israeli, as a historian, that I trust it not to repeat the horrors of Nazism, that's Germany.

BG: Yuval, I want to touch quickly on three things that have to do with the fact that this feels like the first truly interconnected war in many ways. The first, of course, is the basics, which is, on one side, you have a very ancient war -- we have tanks and we have trenches and we have bombed buildings -- and on the other, we have real-time visibility of everything through cell phones and Twitter and TikTok and so on. And you have written a lot about this tension between old ways and new tech. What's the impact here?

YNH: First of all, we don't know everything that is happening. I mean, surprisingly, with all this TikTok and phones and everything, so much is not known. So the fog of war is still there, and yes, there is much more information, but information isn’t truth. Lots of information is disinformation and fake news and so forth. And yes, it’s always like this; the new and the old, they come together. You know, with all the talk about interconnectedness and living in cyberspace and all that, one of the most important technologies not just of this war, but of the last decade or two have been stone walls. It's Neolithic. Everybody is now building stone walls in the era of Facebook and Google and all that. So the old and the new, they go together. And it's ... It is a new kind of war. People are sitting at home in California or Australia, and they actively participate in the war, not just by writing tweets, but by attacking websites or defending websites. You know, in Spain, in the Civil War, if you wanted to help fight fascism, then you had to go to Spain and join the international brigade. Now the international brigade is sitting at home in San Francisco and is still in some way part of the war. So this is definitely new.

BG: So indeed, just two days ago, Ukraine's deputy prime minister, I think, Fedorov, announced via Telegram that he wanted to create a sort of volunteer cyber army. He invited software developers and hackers and other people with IT skills to somehow help Ukraine fight on the cyber front. And according to “Wired” magazine, in less than two days, 175,000 people signed up. So here is a defending nation that can kind of recruit almost overnight, 175,000 volunteers to go to battle on his behalf. It's a very different kind of war.

YNH: Yeah. You know, every war brings it surprises. Sometimes it's how everything is new, but sometimes it's also how everything is old.

BG: So a few people in the chat and in the Q and A, have mentioned China, which of course, is an important actor here, although for now is mostly an observer. But China has a stated policy of opposing any act that violates territorial integrity. So moving into Ukraine, of course, violates territorial integrity. And it also has a huge interest in a stable global economy and global system. But then it needs to square this with the recent closeness with Russia. Xi Jinping and Putin met in Beijing before the Olympics, for example, and kind of had this message of friendship that went out to the world. How do you read China's position in this conflict?

YNH: I don't know, I mean, I'm not an expert on China, and I certainly can't just ... You know, just reading the news won't get you into the mindset, into the real opinions and positions of the Chinese leadership. I hope that they take a responsible position. And act -- because they are close to Russia, they are also close to Ukraine, but especially because they are close to Russia, they have a lot of influence on Russia, I hope that they will be the responsible adults that will put down the flames of this war. They have a lot to lose from a breakdown of the global order. And I think they have a lot to win from the return of peace, including in terms of the gratitude of the international community. Now, whether they do it or not, this is with them. I can't predict, but I hope so.

BG: You have mentioned before the several European and Western leaders that have gone to Moscow in the weeks before the invasion. Varun in the chat, asks, "Is the Ukraine war a failure of diplomacy?" Could have ... Something different happened?

YNH: Oh, you can understand it in two questions. Did diplomacy fail to stop the war? Absolutely, everybody knows that. But is it a failure in the sense that a different diplomatic approach, some kind of other proposition, would have stopped the war? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it. I mean, looking at the events of the last few weeks, it doesn't seem that Putin was really interested in a diplomatic solution. It seemed that he was really interested in the war, and I think, again, it goes back to this basic fantasy that if he really was concerned about the security situation of Russia, then there was no need to immediately invade Ukraine. There was no immediate threat to Russia. There was no discussion of right now, Ukraine joining NATO. There was no invasion army assembling in the Baltic states or in Poland. Nothing. Putin chose the moment to start this crisis. So this is why it doesn't seem that it's really about the security concerns. It seems more about this very deep fantasy of re-establishing the Russian Empire and of denying the very existence of the Ukrainian nation.

BG: So you live in the Middle East. Someone else in the chat asks, "What makes the situation so unique compared to many other wars that are going on right now in the world?" I would say, aside from the nuclear threat from Russia, but what else?

YNH: Several things. First of all, we have here, again, something we haven't seen since 1945, which is a dominant power trying to basically obliterate from the map an independent country. You know, when the US invaded Afghanistan or when the US invaded Iraq, you can say a lot of things about it and criticize it in many ways. There was no question of the US annexing Iraq or turning Iraq into the 51st state of the United States. This is what is happening in Ukraine under this pretext or this disguise, this is what's at stake. The real aim is to annex Ukraine. If this succeeds, again, it brings us back to the era of war. I was struck by what the Kenyan representative to the UN Security Council said when this erupted. The Kenyan representative spoke in the name of Kenya and other African countries. And he told the Russians: Look, we also are the product of a post-imperial order. The same way the Soviet empire collapsed into different independent nations, also, African nations came out of the collapse of European empires. And the basic principle of African politics ever since then was that no matter what your objections to the borders you have inherited, keep the borders. The borders are sacred because if we start invading neighboring countries because, "Hey, this is part of our countries, these people are part of our nation," there will not be an end to it. And if this now happens in Ukraine, it will be a blueprint for copycats all over the world. The other thing which is different is that we are talking about superpowers. This is not a war between Israel and Hezbollah. This is potentially a war between Russia and NATO. And even leaving aside nuclear weapons, this completely destabilizes the peace of the entire world. And again, I go back again and again to the budgets. That if Germany doubles its defense budget, if Poland doubles its defense budget, this will spread to every country in the world, and this is terrible news.

BG: So Yuval, I'm jumping from topic to topic because I want to use the last few minutes to ask a few questions from the audience. A few people are asking about the link to the climate crisis, particularly when it relates to the energy flows. Like, Europe is very dependent, part of Europe, is very dependent on Russian oil and gas, which is, as far as we know, still flowing until today. But could this crisis, in a sort of paradoxical way, a bit like the pandemic, accelerate climate action, accelerate renewables and and so on?

YNH: This is the hope. That Europe now realizes the danger and starts a green Manhattan Project that kind of accelerates what already has been happening, but accelerates it, the development of better energy sources, better energy infrastructure, which would release it from its dependence on oil and gas. And it will actually undercut the dependence of the whole world on oil and gas. And this would be the best way to undermine the Putin regime and the Putin war machine, because this is what Russia has, oil and gas. That's it. When was the last time you bought anything made in Russia? They have oil and gas, and we know, you know, the curse of oil. That oil is a source of riches, but it’s also very often a support for dictatorships. Because to enjoy the benefits of oil, you don't need to share it with your citizens. You don't need an open society, you don't need education, you just need to drill. So we see in many places that oil and gas are actually the basis for dictatorships. If oil and gas, if the price drops, if they become irrelevant, it will not only undercut the finance, the power of the Russian military machine, it will also force Russia, force Putin or the Russians to change their regime.

BG: OK, let me bring up a character that everybody here in the chat seems to find quite heroic, and that's the Ukrainian president. So Ukraine kind of finds itself with a comedian who turned almost accidental president, who turned now war president. But he has shown an impressive conduct in the last few weeks, especially in the last few days, which can be summarized in that response he gave to the US when they offered to kind of exfiltrate him so he could lead a government in exile, he said, "I need ammunition. I don't need a ride." How would you look at President Zelenskyy?

YNH: His conduct has indeed been admirable, and he gives courage and inspiration not just to the Ukrainian people, but I think to everybody around the world. I think to a large extent the swift and united reaction of Europe with the sanctions and sending arms and so forth, to a large extent, this is also to the credit of Zelenskyy. That, you know, when politicians are also human beings. And his direct appeal to them, and you know, they met him many times in person and to see where he is now and the threat that not only him, but his family is also in. And you know, they talk with him, and he says, and they know, that this may be the last time they speak. He may be dead, murdered or bombed in an hour or in a day. It really changes something. So in this sense, I think he made a huge personal contribution, to not just the reaction in Ukraine, but around the world.

BG: So Sam, who’s listening, asked this question: "Can you provide some historical context for the force and the meaning of economic and trade sanctions at the level where they are currently imposed. How have previous would-be empires, would-be aggressors, or aggressors, been constrained by such isolations and such sanctions?"

YNH: You know, what we need, again, to realize about Putin's Russia is that it's not the Soviet Union. It's a much smaller and weaker country. It's not like in the 1960s, that in addition to the Soviet Union, you had the entire Soviet bloc around it. So it's easier in this sense to isolate it. It's much more vulnerable. Again, does it mean that sanctions would work like a miracle and stop the tanks? No. It takes time. But I think that the West is in a position to impact Russia with these kinds of sanctions and isolation much more than, let's say, with the Soviet Union. And also the Russian people are different. The Russian people don't really want this war, even the people in the immediate circle around Putin. You know, again, I don't know them personally, from what it seems, it's that these people, they like life. They have their yachts and they have their private airplanes and they have their house in London and they have their chateau in France. And they like the good life, and they want to keep enjoying it. So I think that the sanctions can be really effective. What's the timetable? That's ultimately in the hands of Putin.

BG: So Gabriella asks: “I remember the war in former Yugoslavia and the atrocities there. Is there any possibility that this war would escalate into such a situation?" I think an extension to that is: Is this war kind of stirring dormant conflicts like in the Balkans, for example, or in the former Central Asian republic?

YNH: Unfortunately, it can get to that level and even worse. If you want an analogy, go to Syria. You look at what happened in Homs. At what happened in Aleppo. And this was done by Putin and his airplanes and his minions in Syria. It's the same person behind it. And to think that, "No, no, no, this happened in the Middle East. It can't happen in Europe." No. We could see Kyiv in the same situation as Homs, as the same situation as Aleppo, which would be catastrophic, and, again, would plant terrible seeds of hatred for years and decades. So far, we've seen hundreds of people being killed, Ukrainian citizens being killed. It could reach tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands. So in this sense, it's extremely painful to contemplate. And this is why we need again and again to urge the leaders to stop this war, and especially, again and again, tell Putin, "You will not be able to absorb Ukraine into Russia. They don't want it, they don't want you. If you continue, the only thing you will achieve is to create terrible hatred between Ukrainians and Russians for generations. It doesn't have to be like that."

BG: Yuval, let me finish with one question about your county. You are in Israel. Israel has close ties with both Russia and Ukraine. It's actually home of many Russian-born and many Ukrainian-born Jews. How is the country reacting to this conflict, I'm talking about the government, but also about the population?

YNH: Actually, I'm not the best person to ask. I've been so, kind of, following what's happening around the world, I didn't pay so much attention to what is happening right here. And even though I live here, I'm not an expert on Israeli society or Israeli politics. Definitely, the sentiment in the street, in the social media is with Ukraine. You see Ukrainian flags, you see on social media people putting Ukrainian flags on their accounts. And another thing, so many people in Israel, they came from the former Soviet Union. And until now, everybody was simply known as Russians. You know, even if you came from Azerbaijan or you came from Bukhara, you were a Russian. And suddenly, "No, no, no, no, no. I'm not Russian. I'm Ukrainian." And again, these seeds of hatred that Putin is planting, it's reaching also here. That suddenly people are saying no, Russian, Ukrainian, until a very short time ago, it's the same thing. No, it's not the same thing. So the shock waves are spreading.

BG: Yuval, thank you for taking the time and being with us today and sharing your knowledge and your views on the situation. Thank you very much.

YNH: Thank you and I hope for peace quickly.

BG: We all do. Thank you

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    2 years ago

Why could the war in Ukraine change everything?:

Yeah, I mean, some people think that all this talk about the decline of war was always just a fantasy. But ... Again, you look at the statistics. Since 1945, there has not been a single clash between superpowers, whereas previously in history, this was, you know, the basic stuff of history. Since 1945, not a single internationally recognized country was wiped off the map by external invasion. This was the common thing in history. Until then and then it stopped. This is an amazing achievement, which is the basis for everything we have, for our medical services, for education system, and this is all now in jeopardy. Because this era of peace, it wasn't the result of some miracle. It wasn't the result of a change in the laws of nature. It was humans making better decisions and building better institutions, which means also that there is no guarantee for the future. If humans, some humans, start making bad decisions and start destroying the institutions that kept the peace, then we will be back in the era of war with budgets, military budgets going to 20, 30, 40 percent. It can happen. It's in our hands. And I'll just say one more thing, When, not just me, but other scholars like Steven Pinker and others, talked about the era of peace, some people understood it as kind of encouraging complacency. That, oh, we don't need to worry about anything. No, I mean, the message was really the opposite. It was a message of responsibility. If you think that there is no era of peace in history, it's always war, it's always the jungle, there is a constant level of violence in nature, then this basically means that there is no point struggling for peace and there is no responsibility on leaders like Putin because you can't blame Putin for the war. It's just a law of nature that there are wars. When you realize, no, humans are able to decrease the level of violence, then it should make us much more responsible. And it should also make us understand that the war in Ukraine now, it’s not a natural disaster. It’s a man-made disaster, and a single man. It's not the Russian people who want this war. There's really just a single person who, by his decisions, created this tragedy.

Indeed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 years ago

Normally, TiG, when I take one look at the length of an article, when I know it will take me a half hour or more to read it, I would just go somewhere else, or "jokingly" ask for an "Executive Summary", but if you put my name at the top of the transcript meaning you did so for me because you were aware I would not be able to open the interview, it gave me an obligation to read the whole damn thing, which I did.  The problem I have, though, is that notwithstanding I had always been a very methodical reader which was a necessity in my career, at my present age when faced with a novel like you posted by the time I'm halfway through I've forgotten the beginning.   There are points that I read that I wanted to earmark and I realize now there was a way I could have done that - copy and paste the article on a word document and bold or underline what I wanted to come back to.   There is so much to comment on, but I'm only going to touch on a few points.

First of all I want to state that notwithstanding it's been implied on this site that I have no feeling for the Ukrainians or that I side with Russia, I DO have feelings for the Ukrainians and perhaps more reason for that than a lot of others.  My mother was born in Kiev (as it was then spelled) and was part of a large family who lived there.  However, my grandparents were either smart enough or lucky enough to immigrate with her and her siblings to Canada in the mid 1920s when my mother was a young girl.  For sure I still have family there, although I know nothing about them.  I have Ukrainian blood in my veins and how many others here do as well?

Although Harari is a historian, what he has related is his opinion.  Much he may have based on facts, much he may have drawn from history, but it is opinion just the same.  

"But this is, you know, a race to the bottom. When they double their budgets, other countries look and feel insecure and double their budgets, so they have to double them again and triple them. And the money that should go to health care, that should go to education, that should go to fight climate change, this money will now go to tanks, to missiles, to fighting wars. So there is less health care for everybody, and there is maybe no solution to climate change because the money goes to tanks."

I think he made a good point there, but there are nations on this planet where defense budget and arms manufacturing and maybe even involvement in conflicts is an extremely valuable part of their economy, and effective lobbyists to encourage it. 

"I think another very important thing is what has been dividing the West over the several years now, it’s what people term the “culture war”. The culture war between left and right, between conservatives and liberals. And I think this war can be an opportunity to end the culture war within the West, to make peace in the culture war. First of all, because you suddenly realize we are all in this together. There are much bigger things in the world than these arguments between left and right within the Western democracies."

As the lion in The Wizard of Oz said, "Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth."  He's dreaming to think the culture war is going to end - whether it is within or between nations.  The growing divide seems to be a necessity - each side getting more and more deeply antagonistic and accusatory with the other.  Just watch what happens while the midterms are approaching. 

Harari indicated that he was not in a position to comment about China and really just indicated wishful thinking.  It's pretty clear that China does NOT want to get involved save to encourage negotiations to reach ceasefire and peace and humanitarian aid.  Both sides of the conflict are of importance to China and I know America would like cooperation from China to step in, but Biden should remember that in the conversations between him and Xi Jinping, Xi Jinping used the word "cooperation" while Biden talked the word "competition" and then walked "confrontation". 

As for the Israelis, I really doubt that the Russian Jews in Israel have any love for Russia.  Why do you think so many packed up suitcases with what they could carry and made alliyah to Israel?  On my first trip to Israel one of the things we did as a group was welcome the immigrants coming off the planes from Russia and we certainly got the feeling from them that they had finally come home. 

I've said enough.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    2 years ago

Net net, our history is replete with conquest.   Leaders have engaged in war to acquire resources which in turn increase their power and prestige.  

This is a trend that seems to be slowing.   Societies are slowly growing towards competitive / cooperative coexistence and away from  brutal, bloody conquest.    Putin, however, is breaking a general trend of avoiding war among the major powers established after WWII.   The author notes how acts like Putin's establish bad precedents (enable further bad actions) and set seeds which can manifest in bad ways in the future.

It is extremely difficult to move to a more peaceful planet because it takes only a few assholes like Putin to trigger ugly chain reactions.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 years ago

There are many other items large and small that Russia's invasion of Ukraine may have uncovered.  An example, one example would be Putin's reach/influence in The Western Democracies.  One phrase here in America is proof.  "Hang Mike Pence."

Perhaps it is time for democracy to take on autocracy.  Ukraine unfortunately will be the field of battle.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    2 years ago

you should stand up to bullies as far as putin is concerned. like it or not, a line not to be crossed has been established. putin cannot afford any more fronts outside of the ukraine. whatever the price is to be paid now will be cheaper than it will be in the future. personally I'm hopeful that the war against autocracy eventually spreads to this hemisphere, in a uniquely american way. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

A good history lesson on Ukraine that all should read and understand. 

Remember that Ukraine is not the first battle in Russia's war to take back all of the countries that were dominated by Russia in the past. There was Chechnya, Georgia, and Crimea. Putin's stated objective is to re-establish the Russian empire. If he succeeds in Ukraine the next will be Moldova when he has set up a couple of Russian-speaking areas and Georgia which in a prior war Russia who now controls 20% of Georgia. 

The appeasement of Putin has no good ending, he will keep lying and taking over countries and hoping that NATO will rupture. 

The easy decision is to look the other way, the hard decision is to confront a murderer and stop Russia now. Ukraine is showing us, the West, the way. The question is will the West learn?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @3    2 years ago

Vladimir Putin's biggest dream is to restore the Soviet Union to it's former glory(?) and he will do whatever he believes necessary to accomplish that no matter who he has to kill or trample over to achieve that end. Unless he is stopped, Ukraine will be followed by whomever he thinks he can get away with invading such as Poland and the other Baltic states that were once aligned with or part of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact nations.  The man is a megalomaniac desiring power for the sake of power working his way up to the level of Hitler and his hero Josef Stalin. The killing so far has only just begun if he's allowed to continue.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1    2 years ago

Yes, so it is up to the rest of the planet to inhibit Putin while managing the threat of MAD.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    2 years ago

No.  No MAD.  The Russian military will not destroy Russia or the Russian people.  Putin is on 'thin ice'-----he is yet to realize how thin the ice is.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    2 years ago

Yep.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    2 years ago

Sung to the tune of the I Had A Dream sequence in the Broadway musical Gypsy. "I had a dream. A beautiful dream Vladimir. A dream about you Vladimir. It's gonna come true Vladimir. You will be pushing up roses"...

"Oh Yeah!"

original

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Well, there's going to be a lot of vociferous objections - but - Bruno Giussani lays out the reasons why Vladimir Putin would believe war was a necessity.

First of all the discussion centers on Kyiv.  Kyiv is Ukraine in this discussion.  And that's true, Kyiv has always been Ukrainian.  But the borders and boundaries of Ukraine as a country has shifted and fluctuated dramatically over the last 1,000 years.

The most glaring oversight in the entire discussion is that Ukraine has been experiencing the same sort of internal conflict that resulted in the dissolution and partitioning of Yugoslavia.  Yugoslavia was partitioned by an external invasion; we only call that external invasion a peacekeeping mission.  The United Nations deployed an international military force to enter Yugoslavia for the purpose of ending the internal conflict and enforce the partitioning of Yugoslavia.  Yugoslavia no longer exists as a nation.

Russia did not invade a united Ukraine, as Bruno Giussani is attempting to suggest.  The war in Donbas has been conveniently ignored during the discussion.  Foreign mercenaries have traveled to Ukraine to fight in Donbas on both sides.  There have been 14,000 people killed in the war in Donbas over the last eight years.  The United States has been providing monetary and military aid to the Kyiv government to fight the war in Donbas.  NATO has been training the Kyiv government to fight the war in Donbas.  Bruno Giussani did not discuss the war in Donbas.

The discussion doesn't consider Russia's historical connection to the region either.  The Russian Black Sea Fleet was established in 1783 with its headquarters in Sevastopol, Crimea.  And Russia has maintained a naval fleet in the Black Sea since 1783.  Crimea has been considered a part of Russia for almost 250 years.  Crimea really is historically, culturally, and strategically important to Russia.  That is another glaring oversight in Bruno Giussani's discussion.

Bruno Giussani also introduces the Nazi Holocaust as a talking point.  Everyone ignores that the Nazi Holocaust was about the Jewish race and not about the Jewish religion.  The Nazis pursued a racial ideology; not a religious ideology.  The Nazis viewed Russians as an inferior race, too.  And the Nazis treated Russians as an inferior race.  The anti-Russian sentiment espoused by the Kyiv government is little different than the racial ideology of the Nazis.  Volodymyr Zelenski, a Jew, can also espouse the Nazi racial ideology that Russians are an inferior race.  Zelenski can be a Nazi from the Russian point of view.  Nazis in Ukraine are promoting a hardline anti-Russian ideology and persecute Ukrainian Russians for being Russian.

Putin explained the reasons why he believed an invasion of Ukraine was necessary.  Putin's explanation was meant for the Russian people.  People in Europe and the United States have been overlaying European history onto Putin's justifications to create a narrative that Putin is actually seeking something Europeans would seek.  The western narrative is that Putin is lying, Europeans know Putin's true intentions and those true intentions are not what Putin has said.  But to understand Putin's justifications for invading Ukraine it really is necessary to look at those justifications from a Russian point of view.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  JBB  replied to  Nerm_L @5    2 years ago

Then why are Ukranian Separatists NOT welcoming the Russian forces as their liberators if that is true?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  JBB @5.1    2 years ago
Then why are Ukranian Separatists NOT welcoming the Russian forces as their liberators if that is true?

I have not seen any reporting that suggests Ukrainian separatists are opposing Russian forces.  The Ukrainians in the Donbas region want autonomy; they do not want to be under the Kyiv government or the Russian government.  The DPR and LPR want their own independent governments.

Russia has been providing reassurances that the DPR and LPR will be independent.  Russia has not indicated that the Donbas region will be annexed and become part of the Russian Federation.  Russia has recognized the independence of the DPR and LPR.  And the Russian narrative has been fighting to protect DPR and LPR independence.  

The Kyiv government has opposed DPR and LPR independence because that would partition Ukraine.  The United States has taken actions suggesting opposition to the independence of the DPR and LPR, too.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.1    2 years ago
Russia has been providing reassurances that the DPR and LPR will be independent.  Russia has not indicated that the Donbas region will be annexed and become part of the Russian Federation.  Russia has recognized the independence of the DPR and LPR.

Says the guy who accuses America of coming up with pretexts for war.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.3  JBB  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.1    2 years ago

Obviously you are not seeing this same war...

A thousand mile stretch surrounding Ukraine has been bombed back to the Stone Ages by Vladimir Putin's invading Russian forces who were not welcomed as liberators anywhere!

Putin's Folly - Biggest Mistake of the Century! 

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.2    2 years ago

Can you imagine straight up German and Japanese war propaganda being spread on the internet in the 1940s? I know they did not have the internet yet butt can you imagine it? Tokyo Rose and Axis Annie would be selling their wares on American Social Media while real people, women children old folks, were being bombarded to smithereens by their paid sponsors, our own nation's enemies! I am having a hard time imagining that. Maybe we do not deserve Our Republic, anymore...

original

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2  bbl-1  replied to  Nerm_L @5    2 years ago

Putin is not Russia.  Putin is an autocratic dictator.  The Russian people deserve better.  The world must help them achieve that end. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @5.2    2 years ago

The Russian people have suffered for centuries under a dominant aristocracy.   They so deserve a change.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bbl-1 @5.2    2 years ago

What do you suggest?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.1    2 years ago

Putin fears democracy.  That is his worst fear.  His rule with threat, intimidation, oppression is becoming tenuous.  Must be the (lol) damn internet.  And other things too.

The 'cabbage Putin puppet' Belarus was doomed when the first Russian tank entered Ukraine.  I suspect and hope the world is going to undergo a transformation.

Navalny for president of The Russian Federation.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.4  bbl-1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.2    2 years ago

We do onto them as they have done onto us.

And teach Ukrainian pilots how to master the F-16.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bbl-1 @5.2.4    2 years ago

What have the Russian people done unto you ("you" meaning all of you)?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.6  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.5    2 years ago

Seems to me bbl-1 is a fan of the Russian people but is against the Russian leadership (and the military that effects the aggression).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.5    2 years ago

Buzz,

I think bbl is referring to the battlefield and not the Russian people.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.6    2 years ago

I'm aware that bbl-1 used the words "the Russian people", not its leadership, so I couched my question accordingly. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.7    2 years ago

Okay, if so then I mistook the meaning of the words "the Russian people".  I thought it meant the Russian people.  Sorry. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.10  bbl-1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.5    2 years ago

JFC.  Russian people are not the enemy.  You understand?  Or not?

This is Putin and his regime.  And only that.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.11  bbl-1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.7    2 years ago

He is.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.12  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.6    2 years ago

Your understanding is superb.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.13  bbl-1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.9    2 years ago

Read this after I posted.  Appreciate your understanding of your mistaking. 

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    2 years ago
 I think another very important thing is what has been dividing the West over the several years now, it’s what people term the “culture war”. The culture war between left and right, between conservatives and liberals. And I think this war can be an opportunity to end the culture war within the West, to make peace in the culture war. First of all, because you suddenly realize we are all in this together. There are much bigger things in the world than these arguments between left and right within the Western democracies. And it's a reminder that we need to stand united to protect Western liberal democracies. But it's deeper than that. Much of the argument between left and right seemed to be in terms of a contradiction between liberalism and nationalism. Like, you need to choose. And the right goes with nationalism, and the left goes more liberalism. And Ukraine is a reminder that no, the two actually go together. Historically, nationalism and liberalism are not opposites. They are not enemies. They are friends, they go together. They meet around the central value of freedom, of liberty. And to see a nation fighting for its survival, fighting for its freedom, you see it on Fox News or you see it in CNN. And yes, they tell the story a little differently, but they suddenly see the same reality. And they find common ground. And the common ground is to understand that nationalism is not about hating minorities or hating foreigners, it's about loving your compatriots, and reaching a peaceful agreement about how we want to run our country together. And I hope that seeing what is happening would help to end the culture war in the West. And if this happens, we don't need to worry about anything. You know, when you look at the real power balance, if the Europeans stick together, if the Americans and the Europeans stick together and stop this culture war and stop tearing themselves apart, they have absolutely nothing to fear 

Here's to finding "common ground" in this present climate of political 'warfare' borne out of too much 'luxury' and not being in the grasp of personal 'want,' hunger, and starvation. END THE CULTURE WAR INDULGENCE NOW!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @6    2 years ago

Good luck in finding "common ground" - you'll need it since creating differences and conflicts prevail. 

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    2 years ago

I know and agree. We used to have a shoreline where politics (of distraction) would not touch it feet to ocean water. But that was when we were a civil and decent people. Now, we are just become noisy demagogues in a vessel set sail for foreign shores looking to connect with other rabblerousers-in-charge of nations.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  CB @6    2 years ago

The problem with the logic is that the conflict is several levels removed from the individual American.   Thus the partisan / ideological battles (which are 0 levels removed) will be more important than the lessons illustrated by the Ukraine war.

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.1  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    2 years ago

I note what I wrote @6.1.1 (Buzz). And, I hope it be not so! May be, we can be good again. May be we have "somebody" in the world who needs us to be bigger than ourselves and our petty internal navel-gazing again! It can give us hope!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7  mocowgirl    2 years ago

According to the Daily Mail, Zelensky is agreeing to peace talks in Turkey to be held this week.  There are videos in the article of Zelensky talking about ending the war.

Turkish president Erdoğan calls for a ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine on phonecall to Putin | Daily Mail Online

Ukraine IS willing to accept neutral status in any peace deal with Russia, Zelensky reveals, as Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan calls Putin to urge for a ceasefire ahead of peace talks today

• Turkish president Erdoğan spoke to Putin about a potential ceasefire in Ukraine
  • In a statement he said Istanbul was chosen as a neutral location for peace talks
  • He also discussed improving the humanitarian situation in Ukraine with Putin

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  mocowgirl @7    2 years ago

That was also indicated on this morning's TV newscast here.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    2 years ago
That was also indicated on this morning's TV newscast here.

Good.  It is also in other US news sources this evening, but without the videos.

I watched a video detailing how the best case scenario could be that Ukraine becomes a neutral country like Austria, Switzerland and Finland - at least for the next decade or so.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.2  CB  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.1    2 years ago

Better than pulling the arms and legs off "the doll" that is Ukraine, I reckon!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.1    2 years ago

It is not definite that Austria, Switzerland, or Finland will remain neutral.  Support for joining NATO has grown by leaps and bounds in those countries.  Any promise of neutrality from Putin should be taken with a grain of salt and backed up with swift and severe consequences when (not "if") he reneges on them.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.4  mocowgirl  replied to  CB @7.1.2    2 years ago
Better than pulling the arms and legs off "the doll" that is Ukraine, I reckon!

Unfortunately, that will still be up to the people fighting a civil war inside Ukraine.

It could be a possibility that Zelensky was wanting to join NATO in order to put down the citizens rebelling against his government.

I just don't know enough about who hates who in Ukraine to understand the 2014 overthrow and how the actor, Zelensky, became president to understand if Ukraine should be split to achieve internal peace or just to stay out of it like we are the other civil wars being fought in various nations at this time that rarely/never make US news.

If the US has another civil war, I have my doubts that international "peace keeping" troops would be welcome (or safe) anywhere in our country.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.3    2 years ago
backed up with swift and severe consequences

Such as?

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Kavika   replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.4    2 years ago

The so called civil war is a separatist movement instigated and financed by Russia. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.3    2 years ago

Putin is a liar, always has been always will be. Neutrality to Putin is an invitation to attack Ukraine at a later date, much like the separatist movement that he instigated and is financing in eastern Ukraine. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.5    2 years ago

Military consequences, from countries other than Ukraine, if need be.

Russia has been emboldened by the lack of response from the world to its invasions of Chechnya, and Georgia.  They have engaged in acts of conquest with impunity, and if the world is soft on them after this invasion, they'll do it again.

TBH, I really don't think neutrality should be expected of Ukraine.  Russia is the aggressor here, and Russia is getting pounded.  Concessions should come from Russia, the country at fault in this war.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.9  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @7.1.6    2 years ago
The so called civil war is a separatist movement instigated and financed by Russia. 

Then this should be addressed in peace talks.

Question:  Isn't it usually outside countries with a financial interest that is financing the world's civil wars?  If so, shouldn't this be addressed by the UN?

I am always amazed at how poor nations can't take care of their citizens, but seem to have millions/billions of dollars for weapons.  How does this happen?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @7.1.7    2 years ago
Neutrality to Putin is an invitation to attack Ukraine at a later date,

Exactly, which is why I think it's a bad idea, but I'm not Ukraine's president, so it's not my call to make.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.9    2 years ago
If so, shouldn't this be addressed by the UN?

Russia is on the Security Council, and all permanent nations on the Council, including Russia, have the power of unilateral veto.  The UN can pretty much only ask them to stop bombing hospitals, pretty please.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.8    2 years ago
Military consequences, from countries other than Ukraine, if need be.

Do you believe that any nation backed by the US/NATO could bomb any Russian city without setting off a nuclear war?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.13  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.8    2 years ago
TBH, I really don't think neutrality should be expected of Ukraine.

I googled neutral countries.  There are more neutral countries than I was aware of.  I don't know why it would be detrimental for Ukraine to continue to be a neutral country for another decade unless it is because there are resources that somebody outside of Ukraine is trying to gain control of.

Neutral Countries 2022 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Neutrality is an important term in international warfare. A neutral country does not take sides with belligerents in a specific war and has permanent neutrality in all future conflicts. Many nations have also demilitarized or   have no military . In the Hague Convention of 1907, a neutral country means that the country has declared nonparticipation during a war and cannot be counted on to help fight a belligerent country. “Non-belligerent” countries are ones that offer non-combative support in times of war.

Switzerland   has been a neutral country since 1815, including during   World   War II. Today, Switzerland has a sizable military to deter aggression, holding to “armed neutrality” but forbidding foreign deployment. Other countries, such as   Costa Rica , have demilitarized. While some countries see neutrality as avoiding political and military alliances,   Austria ,   Ireland ,   Finland , and   Sweden   have United Nations (UN) peacekeeping forces and a political alliance with the   European Union . Today, the countries considered to be genuinely neutral are Finland,   Malta , Ireland,   Japan ,   Liechtenstein , Switzerland, Sweden,   Turkmenistan , and   Vatican City . Many other countries are also considered to be neutral.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.14  Kavika   replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.9    2 years ago
Then this should be addressed in peace talks.

Ukraine has said it will not give up any land as part of peace.

Isn't it usually outside countries with a financial interest that is financing the world's civil wars?  If so, shouldn't this be addressed by the UN?

I don't know if it's outside countries but if it is the UN can really do nothing about it. Russia has a veto vote  on the council.

I am always amazed at how poor nations can't take care of their citizens, but seem to have millions/billions of dollars for weapons.  How does this happen?

Ukraine threw out a corrupt government and have made strides in making the country more equal. Much of the military hardware is old Russian equipment.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.15  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.11    2 years ago
The UN can pretty much only ask them to stop bombing hospitals, pretty please.

I am asking about openly addressing the nations that finance wars around the globe.  All of these nations should be named in the UN and in the world's media so people know exactly who is buying, selling and financing these weapons being used in their countries.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.12    2 years ago

I don't know if they can or not.

IMO, that's all the more reason for Ukraine to join NATO.  Perhaps if Putin knew that invading Ukraine again would result in Moscow being melted, he'd be a little slower on the draw.  Notice he's not invading countries like Estonia and Lithuania, which used to be part of the USSR but are now NATO members.  He's picking on former Soviet Republic states that haven't joined NATO - Georgia, Ukraine, Chechnya.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.13    2 years ago

Switzerland is aiding Ukraine this go-round.  They're not neutral.

As to the rest - see my comment @7.16.  Who has Putin been attacking for decades?  Who hasn't he been attacking?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.18  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @7.1.14    2 years ago
I don't know if it's outside countries but if it is the UN can really do nothing about it.

Too bad.  Because if the UN could do anything about calling out war profiteering then maybe they would be an effective organization to stop it.  

Have you been following the civil war in Sudan?  

US-Funded Report Illuminates Enormous South Sudan Death Toll but Leaves America’s Role in the Dark (mintpressnews.com)

A   new report  financed by the U.S. government on the state of South Sudan’s civil war has found that the conflict has resulted in the deaths of nearly 400,000 people since it began five years ago, indicating that past statistics had severely underestimated the death toll.

Yet, while the U.S.-funded report bemoans the situation in Africa’s youngest country, it fails to acknowledge the U.S.’ role in igniting the conflict, which largely resulted from the   U.S.’ 2011 intervention in Sudan  that led to the country’s partition and later to the current chaos that has now claimed hundreds of thousands of lives.

The   report , published by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and funded by the   U.S. Institute of Peace , revealed on Wednesday that at least 382,900 people in South Sudan have died as a result of the conflict in the country. About half of the deaths resulted from ethnic violence while the remaining deaths were caused by the increased risk of disease and reduced access to health care — underscoring the drastic effect the fighting has had on the country’s infrastructure.

The statistics provided in the report are astronomical compared to past estimates of the death toll resulting from the conflict, as past estimates claimed that the death toll stood   at around 50,000 . Yet, as the new report reveals, the actual death toll is more than seven times higher than past estimates.

Illuminating but leaving much in the dark

While the U.S.-funded report seems to be the first of its kind to more accurately record the massive toll the war has taken on the people of South Sudan, it unsurprisingly fails to acknowledge the U.S.’ role in perpetuating as well as creating the conflict.

This is likely a result of the U.S. Institute of Peace having funded the project, as that organization — much like the related organization, the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) —  promotes  the role of the U.S. as benevolent global hegemon in “managing international conflicts.” In other words, the USIP —  currently headed by  former National Security Adviser under George W. Bush and Raytheon board member Stephen Hadley —  sees  American foreign interventions, including military interventions, as not only positive but necessary.

Yet, the conflict of South Sudan, which is undeniably the result of U.S. policy, has hardly had positive results. As  The New York Times   noted in 2014 , South Sudan – as well as its brutal civil war – “is in many ways an American creation, carved out of war-torn Sudan in a referendum largely orchestrated by the United States, its fragile institutions nurtured with billions of dollars in American aid.”

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.19  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.16    2 years ago
Perhaps if Putin knew that invading Ukraine again would result in Moscow being melted, he'd be a little slower on the draw.

This also means that invading Russia would result in being melted and is why the US has no leverage other than sanctions.

If the US had not invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, then maybe, India and China would join in sanctions.  At this time, I believe they are happy to sit on the sidelines and see where the US weaknesses are as they all compete to control the world's resources.

The US is over 30 trillion dollars in debt.  China seems to be flush with cash and is buying land, leasing land, buying companies and financing countries to expand their power throughout the globe.  China is in direct competition with the US for the world's resources.  There will come a time when the US and China will be waging war via a proxy nation like the US/NATO has used Ukraine to test Russia's strength - if the US is not so bogged in debt by trying to use endless war as an income stream.

I cannot emphasize enough how dangerous it is for US citizens when our President and our government is calling for regime changes in other countries after the debacle they have made after 20 years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.  We are in danger of losing any respect that our nation ever had because our government is exploiting other nations instead of helping them.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.20  CB  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.4    2 years ago

The internals of Ukraine's political 'situation' are not clear and plain to me either. While I can understand something of the predicament the country finds itself in, honestly I am stricken and surprised by the wall-to-wall commitment (coverages) MSNBC and CNN are giving to this specific war.  Is it Europe? Is it NATO-centric? Is it potential of nuclear war? All I can say for sure is we seem to have quite a 'clutch' of news anchors and "faces" who are experts on Ukraine's narrative! Our news anchors are packed into Ukraine (here and "live") just one step shy of press embeds!

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.21  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.10    2 years ago

Neutrality will give Ukraine the opportunity (of sorts) to 'fix its face' and straighten out some things. (It would be a buying of time.) It may be the only solution—the country sits in the 'sweet spot' of Russia (as does all its border states).

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.22  mocowgirl  replied to  CB @7.1.20    2 years ago
The internals of Ukraine's political 'situation' are not clear and plain to me either.

Thank you.  I was beginning to feel like I was one of the few people in the US who was not an expert on the history and politicians of Ukraine.

A few years ago, I was tracking US arms sales to countries in Africa after the US sat on the sidelines and allowed genocide in Darfur and a civil war in Sudan.

The US was also building military bases in some African countries.  I believe some of them were to house troops to be available to guard oil pipelines owned by American interests.

ALL of this was and has been largely kept out of US media.  The funding in the budgets is also kept out of the media.  

I used to post comments and articles about potential US involvement in conflicts/wars in African nations, but they never generated any interest.

I have no idea what is going on now, but I have no doubt that a new war that the US must be involved in will pop up in the near future.

This is why I ask questions.   I can't research everything.  I am loathe to support things I don't understand fairly well.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.23  Kavika   replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.18    2 years ago

Yes,  I have and in Yemen and Myanmar as well.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.24  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @7.1.23    2 years ago

I have read that Saudi Arabia has been accused of using cluster bombs (bought from the US) on civilians in Yemen.  I believe it was on an international web site that tracks war atrocities, but I can't remember.  

I looked Myanmar up on the map when I saw reports of its civil war because I knew nothing about.  I just read a few news reports and did not see the US mentioned.

However, I just did a quick google search about Myanmar's civil war.  I read wiki because it is quick.  I normally do further research on the items that catch my interest, but tonight I am ready to log out and watch a British or Canadian mystery on Acorn TV and read for entertainment - probably historical fiction that contains enough facts to be worthwhile.

I did have one major question when I read the wiki info - How did Ukraine become an arms supplier to Myanmar? 

Internal conflict in Myanmar - Wikipedia

Insurgencies  have been ongoing in  Myanmar  since 1948, the year the country, then known as Burma,  gained independence  from the United Kingdom. The conflict has largely been  ethnic-based , with  several ethnic armed groups  fighting Myanmar's armed forces, the  Tatmadaw , for  self-determination . Despite  numerous ceasefires  and the creation of autonomous  self-administered zones  in 2008, many armed groups continue to call for independence,  increased autonomy , or the  federalisation  of the country. The conflict is the world's longest ongoing civil war, having spanned more than seven decades. [5] [6] [7]

Arms suppliers [ edit ]

As of 2019, Myanmar's military is supplied by fourteen   arms companies   from seven countries; China, India, Israel, North Korea, the Philippines, Russia, and Ukraine. [186] [187]

Despite Serbia signing a non-binding UN resolution calling for the cessation of arms sales to Myanmar following the   2021 Myanmar coup d'état , hundreds of Serbian-made 80 mm rockets were sent from Belgarde to Yangon less than a week after the coup. [188]

Vietnam has also been a vocal supporter of modernisation efforts by Myanmar's military, providing them with ammunition and military hardware. [189]   Burmese military officials have also toured Vietnam to receive military advice from their counterparts in the   People's Army of Vietnam . [190]

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.25  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.24    2 years ago
I did have one major question when I read the wiki info - How did Ukraine become an arms supplier to Myanmar? 

So I googled for more info.  Just a part of the info at the link.  Is it true that Ukraine is a regional arms supplier that supports war?

There is a long list of Ukrainian weapons companies in the link that might qualify for sanctions for supporting war in Myanmar.

If true, it means that if Ukraine became a neutral country, they would have to give up a huge source of revenue in suppling weapons to the region, and possibly the world.

Ukraine is arming the Myanmar military | Justice For Myanmar
September 8, 2021
Ukraine has developed deep links to the Myanmar military, with arms exports and technology transfers continuing, even after the Myanmar military has committed mass murder amounting to atrocity crimes following its illegitimate coup attempt.

According to Ukrainian export data, accessed via Import Genius, Motor Sich exported engines and parts to Myanmar twice since the military’s attempted coup. A May 2021 shipment to the Myanmar army's directorate of procurement contained turbojet engine equipment, and a February shipment to the private air force supplier Sky Aviator contained mechanical parts.

Motor Sich   is a major Ukrainian manufacturer of engines for aircraft and missiles. The Ukrainian state is   nationalising   the firm from its majority Chinese owners. A Ministry of Defence document leaked to Justice For Myanmar, details the purchase of Mil Mi-17 parts from Motor Sich in 2015-16 via Myanmar Avia Export (likely predecessor of Myanmar Avia Services), a crony company owned by Tay Za. Ukrainian export records also show a series of shipments to the Myanmar Air Force from 2019 onwards.

In May 2021, state-owned arms manufacturer   Ukroboronservice   shipped over 164 kilos of aircraft parts to Yatanarpon Aviation. This followed shipments in December 2020 of navigational devices and control instruments to Yatanarpon Aviation. The Managing Director of Yatanarpon Aviation denies any relations with the Myanmar military.

In June 2021 Ukraine voted in favour of a UN General Assembly   resolution   to stop the flow of arms to Myanmar. The country’s transfers are only the most recent examples of significant arms links that amount to aiding and abetting the atrocity crimes of the Myanmar military.

Building Myanmar’s arms industry

Ukraine’s significant military ties with Myanmar can be seen in a joint project to produce BTR-4 armoured personnel carriers (APCs), MMT-40 light tanks and 2SIU self-propelled howitzers. The plant is a partnership between the Myanmar military’s Directorate of Defence Industries, Ukrainian state-owned arms conglomerate,   Ukroboronprom , the state arms trade company,   Ukrspecexport , and   Myanmar Chemical & Machinery   (MCM), a private Myanmar arms broker.

The project may be the outcome of a 2019 agreement, according to   Defence Blog . An October 2020 Facebook   post   by Ukrspecexport described a three-year contract, signed with the Ministry of Defence of an unspecified Asian country, likely Myanmar. The contract was for the production and repair of armoured personnel carriers, as well as for the repair and upgrading of light armoured equipment. It is unclear if the plant is already in production.

This follows a 2018   agreement   on military-technical cooperation negotiated between Ukraine and Myanmar defence ministries that came into force in June 2019. The agreement, signed under the National League for Democracy-led government, specified seven points for military cooperation, including research and development of arms, production of conventional weapons, the supply of arms and related equipment, and joint sales and marketing of arms in third countries.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.2  bbl-1  replied to  mocowgirl @7    2 years ago

Putin will not agree to that because he can't.  

It is impossible for him to walk anything back.  He has committed international crimes against Ukraine and the people of Russia.  He will become dangerous, and the Russian establishment will rectify that.

Navalny for President of The Russian Federation.