╌>

‘I’m White, I’m Automatically Better Than You’: Racist Man Threatens To Lynch Black Popeye’s Employees In Video

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  57 comments

‘I’m White, I’m Automatically Better Than You’: Racist Man Threatens To Lynch Black Popeye’s Employees In Video
Norsworthy threatened to lynch the Popeye’s employee, saying, “Imma hang you from a f-cking tree, b-tch.” While Norsworthy continued his tirade, now including very real bodily threats, the employee boldly stood her ground, but the racist man’s criminal past makes his threats sound more and more like a real possibility.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

video at link

www.msn.com   /en-us/news/crime/i-m-white-i-m-automatically-better-than-you-racist-man-threatens-to-lynch-black-popeye-s-employees-in-video/ar-AAVByC8

4-4 minutes   Invalid Date

T here are a lot of smart and important conversations that still need to be had in the United States about critical social issues like race.

One Florida man in a Popeye’s was not interested in having any of those important conversations but was more than happy to pipe off with his thoughts about race.

Specifically, his thoughts about Black people.

A racist man from Florida threatened to lynch black Popeye’s employees in a viral video.

The video in question was filmed by an employee of the Florida Popeye’s location and begins shortly after some sort of argument had started between a white customer and another employee.

Warning: This video contains vulgar and offensive language and violent threats.

In the video, the customer, 32-year-old Colton Norsworthy, appears to be upset with the Popeye's employees and claims that the employee holding the camera called him a cracker.

After Norsworthy claimed that the employee called him a cracker, the manager simply asked Norsworthy “And what did you call her?”

This was, apparently, too much for Norsworthy, and he lashed out at the manager, saying. “I called her a f-cking n***** after she called me a cracker.”

The manager that was initially speaking to Norsworthy then walks out of frame after trying to deescalate the situation and seeing that Norsworthy was beyond any sort of reason.

Colton Norsworthy launched a racist tirade against the Popeye's employees.

Norsworthy continued to hurl racial slurs at the employees, primarily targeting the employee that was holding the camera and recording the tantrum.

In response to the verbal assault, the employee responded to the enraged man by repeatedly calling him a cracker and later calling him fat.

Now, while it is certainly fair to say that the employee shouldn’t have been egging the angry Norsworthy on, Norsworthy continued to escalate the situation, until the argument went from a one-sided screaming match to death threats.

Norsworthy said that he would lynch the Popeye’s employee.

Norsworthy threatened to lynch the Popeye’s employee, saying, “Imma hang you from a f-cking tree, b-tch.”

While Norsworthy continued his tirade, now including very real bodily threats, the employee boldly stood her ground, but the racist man’s criminal past makes his threats sound more and more like a real possibility.

It turns out that Norsworthy has   a violent criminal past.

To, perhaps, no one’s surprise, Norsworthy has a past of violent crime.

In 2014, the racist man was charged with felony domestic battery by strangulation, obstructing justice, and tampering in felony third-degree proceedings for strangling his partner.

If there was a moral to this story, it would be to be careful when dealing with irrational strangers, you never know who has a history of actually strangling people.

Stay classy Florida man.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Notice the American flag on his head. 

The female employee is not blamelesss in this , but neither did she force him to say  "I'm white, I'm automatically better than you". 

That sentence is the textbook definition of racism. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Calling him a "cracker" was not claiming whites are inferior, it's actually referencing the 'position of superiority' racist Southern white slave owners enjoyed as "whip crackers" driving their slaves to work harder.

So while it might be "racist" its certainly not a term that would denote any sort of black supremacy.

So while both parties used racist language, only the white guy was openly expressing his belief in white supremacy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago
Calling him a "cracker" was not claiming whites are inferior, it's actually referencing the 'position of superiority' racist Southern white slave owners enjoyed as "whip crackers" driving their slaves to work harder.

I did not know that.

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

I had heard "cracker" was an old time insult because it meant they were so poor their main food was crackers

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

Not to mention expressly threating bodily harm to the employee. That dude is one sick puppy who needs to be put away to protect society.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

How is this worthy of Newstalkers?

If a homeless man pushing a woman onto the train tracks is not a news story, why is this a news story?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

Snappy looking cap he has on, isnt it? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago
How is this worthy of Newstalkers?If a homeless man pushing a woman onto the train tracks is not a news story, why is this a news story?

No one is preventing you from giving your opinion. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    2 years ago

I'm just giving you back your own advice.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    2 years ago

I gave my opinion about that story and you are giving yours about this one. 

One of your problems is that you think whites are equally the victims of racism as people of color are. That absurdity informs your world view and indeed many of your seeds and comments on this site. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.2    2 years ago

Is that one of my problems?

You mean this is about me?

Who knew?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.3    2 years ago

I understand people. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    2 years ago

Do you understand the Coc?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    2 years ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.5    2 years ago

Havent given that a shitload of thought. I am not someone who gets overly concerned with process questions. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    2 years ago

John, speaking as somebody who is of mixed heritage being Hispanic, Native American, and Anglo who grew up on the Mexican border in a small town and grew up exposed to the prejudice from the white minority that ran the town who considered me just a lowly mixed breed in their eyes. Growing up, I routinely got beat up by Mexicans for being part white and beat up by whites for being part Mexican. I don't think you can comprehend the identity crisis that resulted. Racism is not solely confined to the treatment of blacks. I doubt you understand people as much as you think you do.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

[deleted]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

I love how she was giving it right back to him.  You could see the smoke coming out of his ears.  “You’re chicken’s gettin cold, cracker.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    2 years ago

Yeah, it’s really cool that you avoided what apparently started it all.    Him getting called a cracker by a Popeye’s employee.

Ain’t it cool!

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.1  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    2 years ago

I suppose I could use the same ignorant argument populist conservatives have been using and say why is he going somewhere he isn't wanted? Maybe it's the employees deeply held belief that white people shouldn't eat fried chicken... Don't they have Chick-fli-a around there he'd be more comfortable at?

Or maybe we can chalk this up to again those involved being inconsiderate and disrespectful.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    2 years ago

Awww, isn’t that cute - you think his reaction was warranted.  Did you end up going back in to retrieve your cold chicken?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.2    2 years ago

Lol ..... I’m not the one defending racist behavior.    No, you’re not defending it, you’re glorifying  it.

Sad, damn sad.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @3.1.1    2 years ago

Another person with a double standard.    White man racist behavior bad, black person racist behavior okay.

Amazing ....

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.3    2 years ago

Oh, that wasn’t you?  My apologies, it’s just that that’s the guy I picture in my head when I read any of your comments here.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.4    2 years ago

Is it your belief that this Popeyes employee randomly called a customer "cracker" ? 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.7  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.4    2 years ago
Another person with a double standard.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!  Yeah... keep defending the ignorant populists conservative MAGA stans. 

White man racist behavior bad, black person racist behavior okay.

Do you have reading comprehension problems or did you not read the whole post? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.5    2 years ago

Still with the sophomoric personal attacks .... classy as usual I see.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.6    2 years ago

I wasn’t there, were you?     That said, folks who aren’t racist would not have dropped the cracker bomb at all .... how many times?    Many.

The double standard at play here is typical of our friends on the left.    Very typical unfortunately ......

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @3.1.7    2 years ago

I’m not the one here defending racist behavior.

You are projecting again ..... badly!    And you aren’t the only one.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.9    2 years ago

Your defense of him seems to be that the woman employee started it by calling him cracker. So, do you think she called a customer cracker out of the clear blue sky ?  Or did he say or do something initially to provoke her first?  

I dont think it is particularly believable that a restaurant employee would call him cracker out of the blue. Especially given that we can see what his opinion of black people is. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.12  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.10    2 years ago
You are projecting again ..... badly!

Hahahaha! If you say so. 

HEY EVERYBODY - New Rule... "those involved [were] inconsiderate and disrespectfulno longer means what it's always meant in the past. You can thank Sparty for today's redefinition of "Merican English.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.13  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.11    2 years ago

He looks like the kind of guy who would joke around with his white trash buddies in public about what black people name their kids, how they all use food stamps at the grocery store, how they pronounce certain words, etc.  My guess is that they were purposely doing something like this around her and she probably called them crackers under her breath.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.11    2 years ago
Your defense of him

Show me where I’ve actually defended anyone actions in this situation and maybe we can have a meaningful conversation.

Otherwise all I hear from you is the usual blah, blah, blah .....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @3.1.12    2 years ago

Lol .... more sophomoric nonsense from one of our friends on the left.

Keep it up .....

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    2 years ago

Sigh.....this is completely stupid and nasty.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Veronica @4    2 years ago

Yep, on both sides.

shona1
Professor Quiet
5  shona1    2 years ago

Morning..hhhmm translation required please..

Cracker here means really good, great etc..eg they are a cracker person or that's a cracker of an idea ..or refers to fireworks...

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  shona1 @5    2 years ago
Cracker here means really good, great etc..eg they are a cracker person or that's a cracker of an idea ..or refers to fireworks...

Cracker here isn't really much of an insult, it's in reference to being a "whip cracker" of slaves.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1    2 years ago
Morning..hhhmm translation required please..

Cracker has many meanings to my surprise when I googled for more information.  When it comes to racial slurs, I most often associate it with meaning "white trash" because of the southern aligned society that I was raised in.  

However, the history and evolution of the term cracker has evolved over hundreds of years.

I am quoting a small part of an article on NPR (which I believe might be a trusted source in the US).  At the end of the article there are links to other stories about race.  I'm bookmarking this link so I can read them in the future.

The Secret History Of The Word 'Cracker' : Code Switch : NPR

The Secret History Of The Word 'Cracker'

As you might have gathered from our blog's title, the Code Switch team is kind of obsessed with the ways we speak to each other. Every Monday in "Word Watch," we'll dig into language that tells us something about the way race is lived in America today.

Last week, Rachel Jeantel took the stand in the murder trial of George Zimmerman, who shot and killed Trayvon Martin after an altercation. Jeantel was on the phone with Martin moments before the fateful encounter.

Jeantel said that Martin told her that a "creepy-ass cracker" was following him. She told Don West, George Zimmerman's attorney, that she didn't think the phrase was racist; West argued that it was.

Hold up a second.  Cracker?  In 2013? ........  Could  cracker  be a regional thing?

I asked Jelani Cobb, a historian at the University of Connecticut and a contributor to   The New Yorker,   if he might know. (Full disclosure: Cobb is a friend.) He'd written about the etymology of some anti-white slurs:   peckerwood ,   Miss Anne and Mister Charlie , and   buckra , a term that was once widely used throughout the black diaspora, in the Americas, the Caribbean and in West Africa.

"Cracker," the old standby of Anglo insults was first noted in the mid 18th century, making it older than the United States itself. It was used to refer to poor whites, particularly those inhabiting the frontier regions of Maryland, Virginia and Georgia. It is suspected that it was a shortened version of "whip-cracker," since the manual labor they did involved driving livestock with a whip (not to mention the other brutal arenas where those skills were employed.) Over the course of time it came to represent a person of lower caste or criminal disposition, (in some instances, was used in reference to bandits and other lawless folk.)

But it turns out cracker's roots go back even further than the 17th century. All the way back to the age of Shakespeare, at least.

"The meaning of the word has changed a lot over the last four centuries," said Dana Ste. Claire, a Florida historian and anthropologist who studies, er, crackers. ( He literally wrote the book on them .)

According to Ste. Claire, we've even had a cracker president.

"Jimmy Carter is a cracker," Ste. Claire said. "He's an Oglethorpe, from Celtic-English cracker stock. I don't know if he knows, but I think Jimmy Carter would proudly call himself one. "

It was in the late 1800s when writers from the North started referring to the hayseed faction of Southern homesteaders as crackers. "[Those writers] decided that they were called that because of the cracking of the whip when they drove slaves," Ste. Claire said. But he said that few crackers would have owned slaves; they were generally too poor. (That of course, doesn't mean they weren't participants in the South's slave economy in other ways.)

Ste. Claire said that by the 1940s, the term began to take on yet another meaning in American inner cities in particular: as an epithet for bigoted white folks.

In the 1990s, some officials in Highlands County, Fla., decided to name a new school the Cracker Trail Elementary school. Their hope was to honor the area's history; the school sat near the Florida Cracker Trail . But many in the county weren't having it.

"African-Americans protested because they thought it was racist and whites protested because they thought it was racist," Ste. Claire said. (The school kept the name.)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2  Sparty On  replied to  shona1 @5    2 years ago

Intent is everything of course but cracker is basically the racist equivalent of the n word. Directed towards white folk.

It is as far away from a term of endearment as the n word is.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @5.2    2 years ago

Ah...I sure as hell won't get as upset being called a cracker by a black person than the black person would being called the N word. I would probably laugh but if I got stupid enough to call someone the N word...I sure hope the hell my will is up to date

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sparty On @5.2    2 years ago
Intent is everything of course but cracker is basically the racist equivalent of the n word.

Perhaps that would be true if white people were enslaved then segregated, denied opportunities, lynched and abused for centuries in America, all while their black masters used denigrating terms for them like "cracker" and "boy". Then perhaps the word "cracker" would carry as much racist baggage as the "N" word. Sure, you could claim "intent" has something to do with it, but clearly the intent between a black person calling a white person "cracker" differs greatly from a white person calling a black person the "N" word. The black persons perspective calling a white person "cracker" is likely from a bitter resentment for how they and their ancestors have been treated by white people while the likely perspective from the white person calling a black person the "N" word is an expression of their deep seated prejudice and belief that black people do fit the racial stereotypes they grew up being indoctrinated in, from supposed inherent laziness to some supposed lack of intelligence.

I'll admit, neither should be used if the intent is to hurt or malign another human, but clearly there is a difference in society in regards to these words since even the seeded article prints out "cracker" but only printed "n*****" to reference the "N" word.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Sparty On @5.2    2 years ago
Intent is everything of course but cracker is basically the racist equivalent of the n word.

Definitely.  Intent is everything.

The better the vocabulary, the easier it is to insult someone without ever using a "bad" word or a "racist" word.  The vocabulary used shows either the vocabulary level of the offender or the offended - sometimes both.  It is impossible for the offender to use words he/she doesn't know.  It is ineffective to try to insult a person if the target doesn't understand they are being insulted.  

I miss George Carlin at times like these.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.4  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.3    2 years ago

and an outstanding example of how our language in being "framed" in today's world in ways that can be puzzling or contradictory.

GregTx
Professor Guide
5.2.5  GregTx  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.4    2 years ago

original

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.1    2 years ago
I sure as hell won't get as upset being called a cracker

Neither would I but that’s not the point.    One persons insult is another persons nothing.    As I noted it’s all about intent and I don’t think that a dog deemed “a little racist” hunts.

And it’s complete BS that many think it’s okay to call each other that ugly word but it verboten for a white person.    Complete BS.    It either an ugly word all the time or never.

It is an ugly word and with bad intent so is cracker.    Racist is racist, no exceptions.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Sparty On  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.3    2 years ago

Love me some Carlin.

Saw him live in Vegas once.    In person he was one dark mofo.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.8  mocowgirl  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.7    2 years ago
Love me some Carlin.

I became aware of Carlin through HBO specials in the 90s/00s.  I watched all of them when I had HBO.  I believe I really liked all of his routines on HBO. 

Saw him live in Vegas once.    
In person he was one dark mofo.

How old was he?  I seem to recall that some clips, of his last routines on youtube, were more barbed than his typical humorous, sarcastic view of human ego.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.9  mocowgirl  replied to  GregTx @5.2.5    2 years ago

That's awesome..

Thanks for sharing.

One of my other favs is Mark Twain.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.2.10  Gsquared  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.8    2 years ago

George Carlin died in 2008 at age 71.

I'm dating myself here, but I remember him on TV in the 60s and 70s.

He was a very funny guy.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.11  mocowgirl  replied to  Gsquared @5.2.10    2 years ago
I'm dating myself here, but I remember him on TV in the 60s and 70s. 
He was a very funny guy.

I'm 65.  Being raised in NW Arkansas, we were lucky to get 3 stations when the weather and antenna were just right. My adopted father controlled the television.  He watched westerns and shows with scantily clad women.  Carlin would not have made the cut. 

I am so grateful that I now have youtube so I can watch just about anything for entertainment or education.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.12  Sparty On  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.8    2 years ago

One joke in the live show I saw was really dark, sick really.    Something about pedophilia.    It was received by total silence from the audience, he waited a heartbeat and said ....... guess that joke isn’t going in the HBO special.

His TV specials were sanitized Carlin.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.2.13  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.12    2 years ago

I’ve seen Louis CK twice in the past two years.  He will have a similar legacy to Georgia Carlin.  Funniest man alive right now, with some of the most quasi-controversial material.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.14  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.2.13    2 years ago

Glad he’s done licking the wounds that were inflicted on him and back in the groove.   

Never seen him live but always liked his shtick.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.2.15  Gsquared  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.11    2 years ago

I'm a few years older.

Youtube is the greatest!  I love it.  I can listen to my favorite music, find old obscure music, find new music.  I like watching news events I might have missed.  I enjoy watching musicians perform covers of songs I like, so I can see the guitar chords or bass parts.  Educational stuff, interviews.  There is so much there.  And, of course, videos with scantily clad women...

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.16  mocowgirl  replied to  Gsquared @5.2.15    2 years ago
And, of course, videos with scantily clad women...

Nothing wrong with that.  When I was younger, I always thought clothes were overrated.  Thankfully, I usually lived somewhere rural enough to allow me to dress (or not) as I pleased.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.17  mocowgirl  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.12    2 years ago
His TV specials were sanitized Carlin.

It is probably best that I have only seen the sanitized Carlin.  

I have too many personal experiences with sexual abuse, abuse victims, and sexual abusers for me to find anything comical about sexual abuse of anyone of any age, but especially children.