╌>

High school teacher resigns after calling students ‘idiots’ in caught-on-video rant

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  2 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   Joshua Rhett Miller

High school teacher resigns after calling students ‘idiots’ in caught-on-video rant

I normally don’t seed crap from NYP, but it was the only link I could find that actually had the recording.  Visit the link to hear this tirade.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A foul-mouthed North Carolina teacher resigned after berating students during a lengthy in-class tirade — telling them he was “f–king done playing with you idiots.”

The unidentified teacher at Southwest High School in Jacksonville was no longer employed as of Friday after his “inappropriate verbal outburst” that was recorded days prior by one of his students, WCTI reported .

“I was scared,” sophomore Cimayiah Josey told the station. “I didn’t know what to do.”

Cimayiah’s recording, which went viral online last week , begins with the male teacher asking if anyone else in the class wanted to test his authority.

“Because I am f–kng done playing with you idiots,” the teacher raged on the clip. “I am here because I want to be here. I somewhat enjoy this job. You need something from me, I need nothing from you.”

The teacher then pivoted to what Cimayiah said was racially charged language.

“You can go through life and live on the f–king system, draw your paycheck on the first and the fifteenth from my taxes and live just an absolute horrible life, I don’t care,” he said. “You can be another statistic, I don’t care. That’s on you.”

The teacher then noticed Cimayiah reacting to his heated remarks and ordered her to leave the classroom, the footage shows.

“And if you don’t like my language, I don’t give a s–t,” the teacher shouted at one point.

Officials at Onslow County Schools confirmed the unnamed teacher was no longer in front of students after his caught-on-camera outburst during a first-period class.

“In the Onslow County School system, we expect only the highest standards of behavior from our students and staff, and that we treat every member of our school family with dignity and respect,” school officials told WCTI. “The type of behavior exhibited in this situation will not be tolerated and is certainly not representative of the employees of Southwest High School, or any other employees who work in our district.”

Cimayiah acknowledged the teacher erupted after one student didn’t put their phone and computer away at the start of class, but insisted he simply went too far.

“I felt like what he was saying was wrong,” she told the station. “I felt like it was racially motivated. It was disrespectful. Your job is to encourage me and push me to be the best I can be. Even though it wasn’t said directly to me, dang, that’s how you really think about us?”

The teen’s mother agreed, saying the teacher clearly crossed a line.

“I don’t talk to my children like that, so I don’t really expect an educator to talk to my child like that,” Nicky Josey said. “To listen to the video for the first time, I had tears in my eyes.”

Josey said in a Facebook post that her daughter told her she feared for her life during the teacher’s tirade.

“Before anyone says she was being disrespectful, respect flew out of the window a longtime ago,” Josey wrote. “My daughter makes good grades and she is a student athlete.”

Cimayiah, an aspiring pediatrician or speech therapist, told McClatchy News she was traumatized by the incident and hopes the teacher won’t be hired by another district.

“I just know that regardless of what he said to me, I know that I’m not a statistic,” she said. “And I know that I’m not going to be a statistic because I have the support that I need and, regardless, I’m going to make it.”

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

One the one hand this guy crossed some lines for sure, on the other hand I kind of get it.  Kids can be very disrespectful, and where I went to high school you’d be expelled if you were told more than once to do something.  There’s something to this comment that makes me sympathetic to him just having a really bad day:

“I am here because I want to be here. I somewhat enjoy this job. You need something from me, I need nothing from you.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    2 years ago

Everyone has a bad day.    His was exceptionally bad .....

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
3  al Jizzerror    2 years ago

The teacher quit.

He will probably just move to a different school district (maybe in a different state) and continue to harass students.

Maybe he can become a Drill Instructor at Parris Island.  He can yell at Marine recruits there and get away with dropping F-bombs.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  al Jizzerror @3    2 years ago

Even the Marine Corps has more class than that nowadays in the way recruits are treated.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    2 years ago
“f–king done playing with you idiots.”

To be fair, a lot of them probably are idiots. I’m not saying this is ok. I’m just saying he may not be wrong.

The teacher then pivoted to what Cimayiah said was racially charged language. “You can go through life and live on the f–king system, draw your paycheck on the first and the fifteenth from my taxes and live just an absolute horrible life, I don’t care,” he said. “You can be another statistic, I don’t care. That’s on you.”

Which part of that is supposed to be racist, though? I’m not seeing a racial stereotype or epithet here. If you blow off your education and joke around in settings where you should be serious, you probably will end up living off the government dole. That applies to all people.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @4    2 years ago

Either way, that teacher totally went off the rails. He could have gotten his point across without acting like raving lunatic. That is what really cost him his job.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tacos! @4    2 years ago

I agree that it was presumptuous to consider it a racist comment.  He’s white (I think) and there may be a lot of black kids in the class, but that doesn’t immediately qualify it as a racist statement.  I’ve been on public assistance before and I’m white.  It’s not something to be proud of, it’s not something to settle for, it’s something to help in a rough patch.  I think it was one of the least offensive, most exculpatory things he said.  He just said it very poorly, lol.  The “my authority” stuff was worse, imo.  His authority was abused to the point of dismissal.