╌>

U.S., U.K., Australia to work together on hypersonic missiles

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   Associated Press By The Associated Press

U.S., U.K., Australia to work together on hypersonic missiles
The United States, United Kingdom and Australia said Tuesday they will work together via the security alliance known as AUKUS to develop hypersonic missiles.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — The United States, United Kingdom and Australia announced Tuesday they will work together via the recently created security alliance known as AUKUS to develop hypersonic missiles.

The move comes amid rising concern by the U.S. and allies about China's growing military assertiveness in the Pacific. U.S. President Joe Biden, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the plan after holding a check-in on the progress of AUKUS, the Indo-Pacific alliance that was launched by the three countries in September.

The leaders said in a joint statement they are "committed today to commence new trilateral cooperation on hypersonics and counter-hypersonics, and electronic warfare capabilities, as well as to expand information sharing and to deepen cooperation on defense innovation."

The U.S., Russia and China have all looked to further develop hypersonic missiles — a system so fast that it cannot be intercepted by any current missile defense system.

In October, Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, confirmed that China had conducted a test of a hypersonic weapon system as part of its aggressive effort to advance in space and military technologies.

Milley described the Chinese test as a "very significant event of a test of a hypersonic weapon system, and it is very concerning," in a Bloomberg Television interview.

Russia has used hypersonic missiles "multiple" times in Ukraine, according to the top U.S. commander in Europe.

Last fall, as U.S. intelligence officials had become increasingly concerned about the massing of Russian forces on the Ukraine border, Russian President Vladimir Putin urged the country's arms manufacturers to develop even more advanced hypersonic missiles to maintain the country's edge in military technologies.

The Russian military has said that its Avangard system is capable of flying 27 times faster than the speed of sound and making sharp maneuvers on its way to a target to dodge the enemy's missile shield. It has been fitted to the existing Soviet-built intercontinental ballistic missiles instead of older-type warheads, and the first unit armed with the Avangard entered duty in December 2019.

The Kinzhal, carried by MiG-31 fighter jets, has a range of up to about 1,250 miles and flies at 10 times the speed of sound, according to Russian officials.

The Pentagon's 2023 budget request already includes $4.7 billion for research and development of hypersonic weapons. It includes planning that would have a hypersonic missile battery fielded by next year, a sea-based missile by 2025 and an air-based cruise missile by 2027.

Biden, Johnson and Morrison have billed the creation of AUKUS as a chance to build greater sharing of defense capabilities. As their first major action, the alliance said it would help equip Australia with nuclear-powered submarines.

The Associated Press

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  TᵢG    2 years ago

At our stage of societal evolution we are forced to build weapons and defenses to hold each other at bay.

Maybe in the future we will determine how to live competitively but without the perpetual threat of war.   However, I see very little progress to that end.  

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 years ago

If anything the species has gotten stupider since the age of enlightenment. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.2  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 years ago

It would be interesting to see what the world looked like if every nation spent the last fifty years building up their people instead of building up their arsenals.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Ender  replied to  Thomas @1.2    2 years ago

Just my opinion, we are built on greed.

Coddling the fossil fuel industry instead of looking at alternatives. Coddling the timber industry and making hemp illegal...

We let industry decide where we go and what we do.

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.2.2  Thomas  replied to  Ender @1.2.1    2 years ago
Coddling the timber industry and making hemp illegal...

Can you imagine the difference if the paper making industry had been allowed to use hemp instead of trees? I don't think that's possible.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.2.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Ender @1.2.1    2 years ago
Coddling the timber industry and making hemp illegal...

The timber industry in the US in the past 50 years is close to nonexistent .. lumber comes from Canada and elsewhere while 'we' 'coddle' US forests to death.  Allowing pine beetles and other diseases (such as wildfires) to destroy old growth trees.  It is way past time to selective cut and clean out the forests, creating jobs and helping the environment at the same time...  the modern day logger is a conservationist, they understand the importance of keeping forest/trees healthy .. pulp mills can be operated in far cleaner way than in the past   [putting SoapBox back in the stall before there is a runaway, I know how she gets when I start talking trees]

Technically hemp was not illegal, but got scheduled as an illegal drug and thus became heavily regulated - because 'our' government was too ignorant to know the difference between pot and hemp .. the introduction of nylon added to the down fall of hemp as well .. I am thrilled to see the growth of and production of hemp products beginning to thrive again.  I was awarded a hemp rope way back in the day when I showed horses and participated in Gymkhana events .. it is almost a sacred possession!

Peace Ender...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Ender  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.2.3    2 years ago

There was a show on tv a long time ago that showed people that went and pulled burls. Or whatever they are called from forests.

Beautiful big pieces of wood.

I was always taught that the deadwood, vegetation rot was good for the soil.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.2.5  Colour Me Free  replied to  Ender @1.2.4    2 years ago

I am only familiar with the use of Redwood burls, my Uncle made clocks and end tables out of them.. very beautiful.

The decay of deadwood is restricted when there is so much dead already waiting to decay - it then becomes fuel for wildfires .. this is why 'we' need to clean out the dead that cannot rot away, young trees in the northern hemisphere cannot grow into healthy seedlings if so much dead and dieing are blocking the suns filtration  .. in the rain forests it is a different story .. the cycle of life there is amazing - so much grows without ever being kissed by sunlight..

I am sure you have been to the Redwood National forest .. certain fallen trees are allowed to remain to foster new growth and others need to be removed in order to foster said new growth .. 'we' have to be responsible stewards .. mother nature is amazing, but in this day and age, she needs 'our' help.

For as technologically advanced as 'we' seem to be / think we are - it does not take away the reality that 'we' are so ignorant to the needs of the planet . even in the year 2022, how can 'we' pretend to reduce a carbon foot print without making sure the natural filter of carbon is healthy and thriving....  [it a head shaker to me]

P.s... I say Northern hemisphere because that is where I live and play

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @1.2.2    2 years ago

Who prohibited the paper industry from using hemp?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2  Colour Me Free    2 years ago

Russia Deploys Hypersonic Weapon, Potentially Renewing Arms Race

Russia Deploys Hypersonic Weapon, Potentially Renewing Arms Race - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

U.S. completes second hypersonic missile flight test

U.S. completes second hypersonic missile flight test (yahoo.com)

I read an article on Monday regarding a test .. also read that Russia has already deployed one ... not finding the articles I read .. but here are a couple sources.. (take yahoo.com for what it is worth)

GregTx
Professor Guide
3  GregTx    2 years ago

Leading from behind?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

But what is anybody going to do about the Israeli space lasers?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

Not sure we have to do anything about the Israeli space lasers.  I thought they were up and running well.  Isn't that what Marjorie Taylor Greene told us?