Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  10 years ago  •  5 comments

A Forgivable Genocide -- Part 4 - Quandary ... by Bob Nelson

Part 4 - Quandary

The three preceding parts:
- Historical Background
- Jordan
- Black September
... were strictly historical. I have been as coldly factual as possible, not wanting any ulterior debate about historical fact.

This part, though, is pure opinion.

We have seen:
- Jordan is a recent construction, payment by a colonial power to a warlord for services rendered,
- Earlier, a promise of a homeland was made to the Jews -- later made urgent by the Holocaust,
- The territory that became Jordan could have been allocated to the "Muslim state of Palestine",
- Jordan made a play for sovereignty over "Muslim Palestine", but screwed it up,
- The Palestinians refused Jordan's authority... even in Jordan,
- Jordan killed tens of thousands of Palestinians, and expelled other tens of thousands.
- Israel has killed fewer Palestinians than has Jordan.
- Israel has expelled -- dunno -- call it about the same number of Palestinians.

So... why are the Palestinians so fixed on Israel?

Why have the Palestinians forgiven and forgotten what Jordan did to them?

Why is Jordan's intentional slaughter of Palestinians forgivable but Israel's occasional incidental killing is not?

The construction of a Muslim Palestinian state would be so much simpler if it did not entail the destruction of Israel, which (oh surprise!) does not intend to die quietly. So why have the Palestinians insisted on destroying Israel rather than finding an accommodation with Jordan?

I can see two answers, and only two:
- Palestinian leaders are more interested in maintaining power than in creating a Palestinian state -- an eternal conflict with Israel means eternal power for the leaders,
- Palestinian leaders are driven by anti-Semitism, desiring the destruction of Israel more than the creation of a Muslim Palestinian state.

Those two answers are not mutually exclusive. Different Palestinian leaders may be animated by one or the other... or both.

I would be very happy to hear of any other analysis, because I would prefer not to entertain such a conception of a people's leaders.

Does anyone have an idea??

---------------------------

See also:

A Forgivable Genocide -- Part 1 - Historical background

A Forgivable Genocide -- Part 2 - Jordan

A Forgivable Genocide -- Part 3 - Black September

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    10 years ago

Fourth and last of a series.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

There is a third answer:

Islamists: Destruction is a Matter of Time

2757_discussions.jpg

Today Israel, tomorrow Spain, and then...? Left, Hamas' 25th anniversary logo shows all of Israel colored in Hamas' Islamic green. Right, a translated Islamic State map that includes all formerly Islamic-ruled lands that they plan to reconquer.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

It's hard to imagine that anyone could imagine re-conquering Turkey... much less Spain...

OTOH... when I see the absolute nonsense that a majority of Americans believes, I suppose that belief in a restored caliphate is no more absurd.

102.gif 102.gif 102.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

Palestinian leaders may also have to deal with a "keeping up with the Joneses" factor : Staying in power in that region means talking tough on Israel . There is always someone who will talk tougher & act more destructively .

ISIS Closing in on Israel from the North and the South

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Good point.