╌>

NBC's Chuck Todd: 'Democrats Are in Some Serious Trouble' for Midterms

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   YahooNews

NBC's Chuck Todd: 'Democrats Are in Some Serious Trouble' for Midterms
In a segment of NBC's Meet the Press Sunday, host Chuck Todd warned of a disaster looming for Democrats in the 2022 midterm elections.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In a segment of NBC's Meet the Press Sunday, host Chuck Todd warned of a disaster looming for Democrats in the 2022 midterm elections. His comments came in light of a new poll from the network indicating that three-quarters of Americans believe the country is headed down the wrong path.

"Voters views about the economy begin to harden in an election year around May. If that theory holds, Democrats are in some serious trouble right now because in our new NBC News poll, just 16 percent say the country is headed in the right direction while a whopping 75 percent say we're on the wrong track," he said. "In fact, that number has been 70 plus for the last seven months, which in the past has signaled big losses for the governing party."

President Biden's approval rating continues to sink amid ongoing inflation and supply-chain crises, a baby-formula shortage, conflict in Ukraine, still frequent migrant surges across the southern border, and other major problems. Only 39 percent of U.S. adults and 42 percent of registered voters approve of Biden's performance almost two years into his presidency, according to the NBC News survey. Disapproval with Biden's job conduct is 56 percent among adults and 54 percent among registered voters.

"President Biden's numbers have hit a new low. Only 39 percent approve of his job performance against 56 percent who disapprove. In fact, the president has become as unpopular as Donald Trump in this poll," Todd added.

The poll indicated that abortion is becoming a more relevant issue for Americans following the leak of a draft Supreme Court opinion earlier this month that would overturn the landmark 1973 ruling, Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion on a national level. However, the draft opinion does not appear to substantially alter the negative midterm outlook for Democrats, with inflation and the economy weighing most heavily on voters' minds, according to the poll. This finding could alleviate GOP leadership fears that a Roe reversal could undercut some of the party's projected midterm gains, so far projected to be significant.

In the last four monthly Gallup polls asking Americans, "What do you think is the most important problem facing the country today?", abortion did not even register at 1 percent, superseded by concerns about inflation (17 percent), the economy in general (11 percent), and fuel/oil prices (4 percent), as our Jim Geraghty noted.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

A little good news for Democrats here.

16% of us think we are headed in the right direction under Joe Biden.

It also looks like Democrats are striking a nerve with voters regarding abortion, as not even 1% put it as a priority above inflation, fuel prices, and the economy in general.

With those kinds of numbers, it sure is hard to see how Democrats won't keep the House and Senate.

Congrats in advance.

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    2 years ago

Choke Toad is a republican. Meaning he is wrong...

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago

So Chuck Todd is lying about the poll his employer conducted and skewing the results.

Got it now.

Can you let NBC know, I am sure they are clueless that Todd lied about their reported numbers?

Did you notice how far down the list of voter concerns abortion is compared to the Biden economy you used to tout but now can't even talk about?

Oops, I mentioned the Biden economy.

Time for you to go!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    2 years ago
Did you notice how far down the list of voter concerns abortion is compared to the Biden economy you used to tout but now can't even talk about?

Just shows that the lefts leaked draft didn't have the effect that they were hoping for and are bracing for all hell to break loose.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.1    2 years ago
Just shows that the lefts leaked draft didn't have the effect that they were hoping for and are bracing for all hell to break loose

I think it is kind of fun to see people steadfastly refusing to acknowledge that the Biden economy is more important to voters than abortion.

Refusing to see that people tend to vote their wallets will lead to a massive defeat for Democrats in the midterms.

Or maybe a miracle will happen and Biden, who now  apparently has conceded that inflation isn't temporary, will turn it all around in a matter of 6 months.

yeah, when pigs fly!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    2 years ago
I think it is kind of fun to see people steadfastly refusing to acknowledge that the Biden economy is more important to voters than abortion.

That's what happens with fabricated outrage.  It's up there for a day or 2, people come to their senses and realize it was nothing more than a temporary shiny object fabricated to distract then go back to what's really important.  Abortion has been a hot topic for decades and really nothing new.  

will turn it all around in a matter of 6 months. yeah, when pigs fly!

Biden and his dumpster fire administration do something productive?  That will never happen.  He hasn't done that in 50 years.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.3    2 years ago
That's what happens with fabricated outrage.  It's up there for a day or 2, people come to their senses and realize it was nothing more than a temporary shiny object fabricated to distract then go back to what's really important.  Abortion has been a hot topic for decades and really nothing new.  

It is rather comical to see the excuses some will come up with or what shit they throw against the wall to distract from the Biden economy. That was all some could talk about when they were proudly and ignorantly ignoring the warning signs of inflation rising, Now, you can't even get the biggest cheerleaders for Biden to even TALK about the economy. It is like it doesn't exist for them now.

Biden and his dumpster fire administration do something productive?  That will never happen.  He hasn't done that in 50 years.

Heck, Biden couldn't even recognize inflation as anything more than temporary for months and months. To think he is lasered focus on inflation now is pretending he has a clue.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Ensconsed in my mind are the words: "It's the economy, stupid."

cliché: The one thing voters care most about is the health of the country's  economy. The phrase was coined by political strategist James Carville for Bill Clinton's presidential campaign in 1992.

I think that in most people's minds it's the sanctions that have caused the price of gas at the pump to rise, the sanctions on fertilizer forcing crop prices to rise, sanctions on everyday items that have caused their prices to rise.  Biden is faced with a conundrum - remove the sanctions on Chinese products and be labelled soft on China (after so much effort has been devoted to creating China to be America's number one enemy - which it ISN'T) or else keep them and contribute to making life difficult for so many voters.   

Somehow I think the economy is more important to the ordinary American than the question of abortion, and unless a big positive change in the economy happens between now and Novermber, the situation is going to be pretty tough for Biden from that point on, and especially in 2024.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm not an American so how could I possibly have an unbiased or objective opinion about American politics?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago
Somehow I think the economy is more important to the ordinary American than the question of abortion, and unless a big positive change in the economy happens between now and Novermber, the situation is going to be pretty tough for Biden from that point on, and especially in 2024.

I think you nailed it.

Some are just convinced that ignoring history and polls and what really concerns us the most will result in a Democratic victory in the midterms.

I consider that type of thinking to be crazy.

One thing you never hear anymore--how bad the Trump tariffs on China are now that Biden has kept them. Gee, I wonder what changed besides the Presidency?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    2 years ago

Well, although the tariffs on Chinese goods and the sanctions and bans imposed on Chinese products have not been lifted Chinese exports to America have increased and the trade imbalance has widened in favour of China - the big losers are the American businesses that require Chinese products to complete their own and the American consumers who end up having to pay more for their needs.  Isn't that known as shooting oneself in the foot?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    2 years ago

My point was that many people who bitched about Chinese tariffs when Trump was President are strangely silent now when Biden is keeping them.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    2 years ago

Biden is keeping them because he's scared of being called "soft on China" even though he has to be awake enough to know that they are bleeding American consumers.  Common sense is not exactly prevelant - it all has to do with politics, just like politicizing the Olympics just had to do with bolstering his image as being "tough on China".  LOL