╌>

some gave all

Category:  History & Sociology

By:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  8 comments

some gave all
"If you ever think of me, think of all your liberties and recall - some gave all"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

What is Memorial Day?

Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honouring the men and women who died while serving in the military.

It originated in the   aftermath of the Civil War , first known as Decoration Day.

The head of an organisation of Union veterans, the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), established it as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers.

It was formerly observed on 30 May from 1868 to 1970, a date supposedly chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.

What is Memorial Day? Meaning behind the US holiday explained, when it falls in 2022 and how it is celebrated (inews.co.uk)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Let's teach our kids the meaning of this day.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

April 1st, 1968 101st Airborne guiding in medivac copter after an intense battle near Hue, Vietnam.

vietnam-war-iconic-ph_evan.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

OIP-C.IvMR0QwCPNpSb6ZqlXWRcAAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
  • “This is the day we pay homage to all those who didn’t come home. This is not Veterans Day, it’s not a celebration, it is a day of solemn contemplation over the cost of freedom.” - Tamra Bolton

• "Without memory, there is no culture. Without memory, there would be no civilization, no society, no future." - Elie Wiesel

• "Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death." - Sun Tzu

• “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.” - Winston Churchill

• “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes.” - Maya Angelou

• “I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom." - Bob Dylan

• "So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good." - Hellen Keller

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

While I thank all my brother and sister vets for their service from past and present on Veteran's Day who came home or are still serving, special thanks is always reserved on Memorial Day for those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country and did not come back alive. To me, those will always be the ultimate heros. RIP my brothers and sisters.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Today is a day to honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice.  And maybe to hope that their ultimate sacrifice will help move us to a future where someday we will stop adding to the number of people we honor on this day.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    2 years ago

My little tribute each year has evolved into finding a vets grave near family members and after honoring them I sit down talk to them, thanking the Veteran for their sacrifice and when no one is watching I drop a little nip for them.    This year it was a nice Woodford reserve Bourbon.

Thank you Gilbert Lackor, 26th Infantry Co A, fallen 03-05-1863.

RIP brother and enjoy your nip