╌>

China fighter jet intercepts Australian plane - Canberra - BBC News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tacos  •  2 years ago  •  69 comments

By:   BBCWorld (BBC News)

China fighter jet intercepts Australian plane - Canberra - BBC News
Australia accuses a Chinese pilot of dangerous actions near the aircraft over the South China Sea.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Published 5 hours agoShareclose Share page Copy link About sharingImage source, Getty ImagesImage caption,

Australia has accused the pilot of a Chinese fighter jet of carrying out a dangerous manoeuvre near one of its aircraft over the South China Sea.

It says the Chinese aircraft released flares and cut in front of the Australian surveillance plane.

The Chinese jet then released "chaff" - an anti-radar device which includes small pieces of aluminium which entered the Australian plane's engine.

Beijing claims most of the region as its own territory.

The Royal Australian Air Force P-8 maritime surveillance aircraft was intercepted on 26 May by a Chinese J-16 fighter aircraft, during what was a routine maritime surveillance activity, Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese said.

"The intercept resulted in a dangerous manoeuvre which did pose a safety threat to the P-8 aircraft and its crew," he said.

Defence Minister Richard Marles said the Chinese jet flew very close in front of the RAAF aircraft and released a "bundle of chaff" containing the small pieces of aluminium that were ingested into the Australian aircraft's engine.

"Quite obviously this is very dangerous," Mr Marles told ABC television.

In a statement, Australia's defence ministry said it had "for decades undertaken maritime surveillance activities in the region" and "does so in accordance with international law, exercising the right to freedom of navigation and overflight in international waters and airspace".

Beijing has not commented on the incident. China has been building up military infrastructure there in recent years.

But the US, neighbouring countries and others, including Australia, dispute its claim.

In February, Australia accused a Chinese navy ship of shining a military grade laser towards one of its warplanes over the Arafura Sea off northern Australia.

More on this story

• Why is everyone fighting over the South China Sea?

20 March 2021

Related Topics

• China
  • Australia

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Tacos!    2 years ago
The Chinese jet then released "chaff" - an anti-radar device which includes small pieces of aluminium which entered the Australian plane's engine.

China’s bullying tactics over the definition of international waters is bad enough, but this is really not ok. It’s one thing to intercept a plan. It’s a whole other thing to pull this dangerous stunt.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

The CCP just took a page out of Putin's playbook and applied it to their own use. Putin been doing the same in the Atlantic for years longer than China.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago
"routine maritime surveillance activity"

Yep, that's a euphemism of an intentional provocation and spying activity carried out by both sides of the issue - a dangerous game and everyone needs to be prepared for the consequences in the event the result becomes even more serious. 

My comment is merely about "routine maritime surveillance activity" generally, applicable to ALL COUNTRIES and is not to be considered support for or defence of the activity by ANY SPECIFIC COUNTRY.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago

There are accepted international practices in the interception of "routine maritime surveillance activity". The CCP and the PLAAF and the Russian Air Force obviously take theirs to deliberately unsafe  intimidating extremes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1    2 years ago

Unfortunately, "accepted international practices" are not universally "accepted".  Sailing warships through the Taiwan Straits is not universally accepted, and in fact by some are considered a provocation whether or not it is considered by others an "accepted international practice".  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    2 years ago
Unfortunately, "accepted international practices" are not universally "accepted". 

Exactly, much older than the UN is China's ability to trace China traces its interaction with the South China Sea back to the Western Han Dynasty. Thus, Beijing can properly claim about 80% of the South China Sea.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.2    2 years ago

No, no, you can't say that.  It doesn't fit the American hegemonic agenda and its attempts to contain China to prevent it from the inevitable surpassing of America as the world's "exceptional" number one nation.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    2 years ago
contain China to prevent it from the inevitable surpassing of America as the world's "exceptional" number one nation.  

Exactly, Americana fails to understand the Chinese Communist Party’s dialectic which correctly inverts the Daoist taiji view.  Mao properly saw the two opposing forces, constantly in conflict with each-other, and that through his dialectic “One becomes two, two becomes four.”  In place of harmony, struggle.  

Five years ago, China entered a new era, and is historically destined to take center stage in the world.  The new Long March is the manifestation.  China’s destiny is in synch with this century’s recognition of the effectiveness of authoritarian government.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.2    2 years ago
Exactly, much older than the UN is China's ability to trace China traces its interaction with the South China Sea back to the Western Han Dynasty. Thus, Beijing can properly claim about 80% of the South China Sea.

If that is the rule for claiming SCS then China and the Western Han Dynasty are trumped by Vietnam which has one of the oldest and most continuous histories of any nation.  The area has been inhabited by some of the world's earliest societies dating back to 2879 BC. So their interaction with the SCS seems to predate Chinas. They are, of course, one of the countries disputing China's claims.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.1.5    2 years ago

I know that the adage "Possession is 9/10ths of the law" is not good law, but who's going to remove China from those islands?  If the argument is that Vietnam is entitled to take them over because it had sovereignty before China claimed sovereignty, why aren't the Native Americans entitled to take over America?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @3.1.5    2 years ago

Very good point Kavika.  Then there is also The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague which rejected China’s use of a nibe-dash line to claim sovereignty over large parts of the South China Sea.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.6    2 years ago

Or 1st Nations to take over Canada for that matter?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.8    2 years ago

Which is why that logic is ineffective.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.6    2 years ago
If the argument is that Vietnam is entitled to take them over because it had sovereignty before China claimed sovereignty, why aren't the Native Americans entitled to take over America?

My comment was in reference to Drinker's comment about the Chinese having been associated with the SCS since the Han Dynasty, if that were the criteria then Vietnam would have a much better case than China since they have been associated with the SCS for 2,000 more years than China. 

This has nothing to do with the US or NA's, but if you want to make that comparison then you should also include Canada and the First Nations and Israel and the Palestinians. 

As a country that oppresses China's illegal stance the Vietnamese won't go away quietly nor should they or any of the other countries that oppose China. The Vietnamese and the Chinese have a long (thousands of years) and fraught history. Including wars the latest being 1979. 

As a side note, the Vietnamese being a communist country like China will not buy weapons from China because of their dislike and mistrust of the Chinese. For decades they purchased their weapons from Russia and since the Russians invaded Ukraine (Crimea) in 2014 they have started buying from the US and Israel. Strange bedfellows since Israel has not enforced sanctions against Russia. 

Without all the history what China has done is illegal in the eyes of the world, simple as that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.1.10    2 years ago

You certainly have all the answers, so if so, what do you predict is going to happen?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.11    2 years ago

I don't have all the answers, the points I made in that comment are facts as they exist. 

IMO, China will continue to widen its sphere of influence in Asia and will also continue to buy the support of nations to drop their recognization of Taiwan. It will use its size/money to establish new military bases outside of China as they are now doing in Cambodia, the Solomon Islands and other Island nations in the Pacific. 

I would suspect that they are watching very carefully the results of Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine as to the world response and how the Russian military equipment is performing with an eye to Taiwan. 

At some point in the future, there will be a confrontation between China and the US. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @3.1.12    2 years ago
It will use its size/money to establish new military bases outside of China as they are now doing in Cambodia, the Solomon Islands and other Island nations in the Pacific. 

Five or so years ago, China established a naval base in Djibouti and come close to getting on in Khalifa, UAE. The ongoing China-US power competition isn’t confined to the Pacific region, but will grow world-wide until something stops it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.13    2 years ago

I'd venture to say that all of us will just be memories before China even gets CLOSE to having even 1/10th the military bases that the USA has all around the world, if in fact that's their intention.  I think China will achieve its goals through other methods than being the world's policeman.  But I sure as hell had a laugh to see the amount of Australian and American panic when China signed an agreement with the Solomon Islands.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.14    2 years ago
I'd venture to say that all of us will just be memories before China even gets CLOSE to having even 1/10th the military bases that the USA has all around the world, if in fact that's their intention.

Yes, the US military clearly leads in the number of bases overseas.  The PRC military clearly leads in the ownership or control of business or corporations.

I think China will achieve its goals through other methods than being the world's policeman. 

Perhaps world banker is the Chinese model.  

But I sure as hell had a laugh to see the amount of Australian and American panic when China signed an agreement with the Solomon Islands.

International instability is hilarious. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.14    2 years ago
But I sure as hell had a laugh to see the amount of Australian and American panic when China signed an agreement with the Solomon Islands.

Citizens of the Solomons didn't think it was funny at all. They have rioted against the Chinese being there. Sadly the Chinese were able to buy off (corruption) the politicians of the Solomons. Taiwan warned the Solomons about falling into the Chinese debt trap. The Solomons dropped their recognition of Taiwan in favor of China and entered the debt trap which now is costing them their country. The Belt and Road program of the Chinese is designed to do just that, and in some cases, it has worked quite well.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.17  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    2 years ago

Somewhat hilarious that you mention America's hegemonic agenda while totally ignoring the CCP's which is obviously blatantly much greater than that of the US.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.17    2 years ago

It will be interesting to see which method turns out to be more effective.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.18    2 years ago
It will be interesting to see which method turns out to be more effective.

Might be a tie with the stolen Intellectual Property by China.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.19    2 years ago

Keep up the good work, Drinker, your slanders could be instrumental in helping keep your nation in second place rather than even worse.  Of course America has NEVER spied on China.....

china - executed -or...
Jan 10, 2022  · Authorities in   China executed   or jailed 18 U.S. government   spies   from 2010 to 2012 based on information gleaned in one of the worst intelligence breaches seen in the U.S.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.21  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.20    2 years ago

In all fairness, all nations spy on one another. The only difference is the matter of degree and purpose.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.22  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.21    2 years ago

Maybe America should spy on China to find out how to eradicate abject poverty and homelessness. 

"According to the U.S.  Census Bureau ’s 2019 Current Population Report,  34 million Americans are considered impoverished – 10.5% of the country’s population"
"The total number of homeless people in the United States is  553,742 , that’s 170 out of every 100,000 people experiencing homeless in the US right now."

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.23  Jack_TX  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.22    2 years ago
Maybe America should spy on China to find out how to eradicate abject poverty and homelessness

That's very simple.  

You simply need a massive amount of money.  So you find the richest country in the world, convince them to give you favorable trade deals, and then screw them over.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.24  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.23    2 years ago

Surely you're not saying that America's governments are so ignorant that they don't know how to put together a trade deal for mutual benefit?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.25  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.24    2 years ago

I will say that.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.26  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.24    2 years ago

China certainly does not do trade deals for mutual benefit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.27  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.26    2 years ago
"China certainly does not do trade deals for mutual benefit."

And your respected and unbiased source for that statement is......?

Dec 13, 2019  ·  China  says  trade deal with U.S.  must be  ‘mutually beneficial’  Economy Dec 13, 2019 8:30 AM EDT BEIJING (AP) — Expectations for a  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.28  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.18    2 years ago

Well, not everybody is pro China.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.29  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.28    2 years ago

I can't disagree with you there.  I'm sure there isn't a major country in the world that all other nations consider "pro".  Some have already voiced their opinion in that regard about the host of the "Summit of Most of the Americas".

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.30  Jack_TX  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.24    2 years ago
Surely you're not saying that America's governments are so ignorant that they don't know how to put together a trade deal for mutual benefit?

I'm saying that under certain administrations (like the present one), America's government is naive.

I'm also saying the Chinese government has a long history of unethical and dishonest behavior as a matter of policy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.31  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.30    2 years ago

I think unethical and dishonest behaviour is something that any nation might have practised or maybe even still does, and it's a matter of degree in each case.  Do you feel that there is any country that is so clean that every politician in it will go to heaven and what every and any country does is always beyond reproach?  LOL    Where America and China rate in that respect is something requiring proof.  

A line is spoken by Heath Ledger in the movie A Knight's Tale.  "My father told me that I must take the bad with the good."   I think that applies to nations as well. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.32  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.31    2 years ago
A line is spoken by Heath Ledger in the movie A Knight's Tale.  "My father told me that I must take the bad with the good."   I think that applies to nations as well. 

Agree, the world has taken China  along with the good in the world.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.33  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.32    2 years ago

My God, your comments indicate such fear of China.  You know of course that hatred is begotten by fear and your comments indicate such hatred of China that it makes me curious about where all that fear came from. .  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.34  Jack_TX  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.31    2 years ago
I think unethical and dishonest behaviour is something that any nation might have practised or maybe even still does, and it's a matter of degree in each case.  Do you feel that there is any country that is so clean that every politician in it will go to heaven and what every and any country does is always beyond reproach?  LOL    Where America and China rate in that respect is something requiring proof.  

I dunno, Buzz.  Canada manages to trade with the world's largest economy on a very honest basis.  They don't artificially manipulate currency to make their goods more cost-competitive, they don't completely disregard the intellectual property rights of foreign entities, and they don't conduct espionage through the products they sell.  

Come to think of it... the Japanese manage to trade fairly, as well.  As do the English.  And the EU.  Hmmm.......   

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.35  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.33    2 years ago

Not sure what you saw that indicates that?  I have a lot of respect for what China achieved over the last 70 years.  I also respect the growing military power that China is combining with its economic, technological, and diplomatic power to secure its territory and regional preeminence, and pursue international cooperation at the US's expense. 

I think that China will continue intimidation in the region  and will use growing military to signal to Southeast Asian countries that China has effective control over the  area.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.36  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.20    2 years ago
your slanders could be instrumental in helping keep your nation in second place rather than even worse

Slander?  Are you going to try to deny that China is very practiced at stealing intellectual property?

APT 41 has great hacking tools and the skills necessary to steal trillions in IP from multinational companies in the manufacturing, energy and pharmaceutical areas.  That doesn't count the  diagrams of fighter jets, helicopters, and missiles.  

The CCP even has all my personal data from the 2015 hack of the Office of Personnel Management.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.37  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.34    2 years ago

You haven't convinced me.  There are no angels in this world.  And for those who believe Jesus was, that was thousands of years ago. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.38  Buzz of the Orient  impassed  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.36    2 years ago
✋🏼

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.39  Jack_TX  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.36    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.40  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.39    2 years ago

[deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.42  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.30    2 years ago

Show me a communist led government that does not have a history of unethical and dishonest behavior. The CCP is no different.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

(deleted)

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1  Hallux  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

One can only imagine the unhinged fulminations if China's navy sailed between Cuba and Florida.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Hallux @4.1    2 years ago

If they sail in clearly established international waters, the US has to abide by it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @4.1    2 years ago

LOL.  You mean how JFK and his government freaked out when Russia was planting missiles on Cuba?  What International Treaty did Russia breach with what it was doing?  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago
What International Treaty did Russia breach with what it was doing?

Was it the same one that the US violated when it crossed the 38th parallel causing the Chinese People’s Volunteer Army to cross the the Yalu River? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @4.1    2 years ago

Yes, let's pivot to blaming America for something that's never happened to protect China from it's reckless provocations.

Predictable.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.4    2 years ago

It never happened?

On 5 October 1950, the day after  American   troops   crossed  the  38th   Parallel , Chairman Mao Zedong issued orders for the North East Frontier Force of the  Chinese   Peoples  Liberation  Army  to move up to the  Yalu   River .

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.5    2 years ago

I apologize if my sarcasm was too subtle.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @4.1    2 years ago

Haven’t the Chinese Navy made regular Ports of Call To Havana and sailed less than fifty miles of the coast of Alaska?

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1.8  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.7    2 years ago

One that I know of in 2015, it composed of  "three naval ships of the Chinese naval Escort Task Group 152, after a friendly visit to the United States' Naval Station Mayport, conducted a joint military exercise with U.S. naval ships in the southeastern Atlantic area for the first time on Saturday. Chinese navy's missile destroyer Ji'nan, missile frigate Yiyang and supply vessel Qiandaohu attended the exercise with U.S.' Burke Class Destroyer Mason and Stock, CVL-26 Monterey. The exercise was divided into three phases as navy ships from both countries went through courses of flag signals, maneuvering in formation and joint search and rescue. According to the plan, after the joint exercise, the Chinese naval Escort Task Group 152 will head for Havana, Cuba, for a friendship visit as the next stop of its global visit."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @4.1.8    2 years ago

I don't think you'll see something like that happen again.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

China is still a signatory to UNCLOS even though they only abide by it when it suits them as regards freedom of navigation in international waters, which includes the Taiwan Straits and other areas.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Chinese warplanes also buzzed  Canadian recon planes enforcing UN Sanctions in North Korea  as well. 

Dangerous game they are playing

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 years ago

That they did and I seeded an article about it,