Biden falls while getting off his bike after a beach ride

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 years ago  •  95 comments

By:   THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (via npr)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ap22169504873126-45fdedf21098c56a54cd00d7c2b5ec115b694d51-s1100-c50.jpg

President Biden is helped by U.S. Secret Service agents after he fell trying to get off his bike to greet a crowd on a trail at Gordons Pond in Rehoboth Beach, Del., on Saturday.  Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. — President Biden fell when he tried to get off his bike at the end of a ride Saturday at Cape Henlopen State Park near his beach home in Delaware, but wasn't hurt in the tumble.

"I'm good," he told reporters after U.S. Secret Service agents quickly helped him up. "I got my foot caught" in the toe cages.

Biden, 79, and first lady Jill Biden were wrapping up a morning ride when the president decided to pedal over to a crowd of well-wishers standing by the bike trail. Biden, who was wearing a helmet, took the spill when he tried to dismount, apparently falling on his right side and rolling on to his back before being helped up.

ap22169522843878-654166ca643c44cd281262ac353546a0af90f377-s1100-c50.jpg

President Joe Biden pedals his bike towards a crowd at Gordons Pond in Rehoboth Beach, Del., Saturday. Biden fell from his bike as he tried to get off it to greet the crowd.  Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

The president quickly collected himself and spent several minutes chatting with people who had gathered to watch him bike. Biden did not need medical attention and is "fine," according to a White House statement.

The Bidens are spending a long weekend at their Rehoboth Beach home. They marked their 45th wedding anniversary on Friday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Could that have been an omen?   

There was a time when press photographers had integrity, for example the time that FDR fell coming down the steps exiting an airplane, and every press photographer lowered their cameras and refused to record the incident. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @2    2 years ago

Did Biden say "I meant to do that"?

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    2 years ago

No he said..

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    2 years ago

When I was riding my horse in a parade, someone set off a firecracker near by.  It startled my horse and he slipped and fell, throwing me off.  He didn't bolt but the crowd further added to his anxiety as people rushed to help us.  For shit and giggles, I had recently taught him how to bow so I had him do it while exclaiming "And for our next trick.....".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.2    2 years ago

LOL. Quick thinking.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    2 years ago

Every little petty thing is blown out of proportion by the opposition and every problem in the opposition is downplayed and dismissed.   This is the divisive political environment in the USA nowadays.   Our political parties are net negative;  they do more harm than good.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 years ago

There use to be a time where someone would say, I don't like Biden but I hope he is ok...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @3.1    2 years ago

Many still do.   I think these forums skew things a bit.   I do not think the hyper-partisanship we see in these forums accurately reflects the American public.   I think those who are less concerned (indifferent even) about politics likely do not participate in forums like NT.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    2 years ago

You wouldn't believe the tiny minimal percentage of new applicants to this site who actually remain and contribute something.  IMO they take one good look at the Front (Home) page and skedaddle.  We are also constantly losing good members who give up trying to be reasonable.  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    2 years ago

It might also be possible that some people that don't really care too much about politics come to places like this to see how the extremes are so dug into their own trenches they are completely incapable of understanding that a different point of view is possible. 

But maybe not

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    2 years ago

We are also constantly losing good members who give up trying to be reasonable. 

A person can only stand so many migraines trying to reason with the unreasonable.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @3.1    2 years ago

The article made it quite clear he was ok making it ok to laugh about it as far as I am concerned.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.5    2 years ago

I will admit I use to get a chuckle out of Ford.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.5    2 years ago

What screwed him were the toe cages - never had them on any bike I ever used.  Don't know why he needed them for the kind of biking he would do. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @3.1.6    2 years ago

Chevy chase made a living based on it

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.9  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.7    2 years ago

I assume they are a safety feature that is not always so safe.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.10  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.9    2 years ago

They would be useful for more power and speed, using upward pressure with one foot at the same time as the downward pressure with the other foot, but hardly necessary for the kind of biking that Biden would do. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1.11  GregTx  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.8    2 years ago

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.10    2 years ago

Makes sense. I would think it would be more likely to be on a racing bike than a mountain bike but i am not sure.

Interesting that no one would have thought to take them off for him. If it wasn't so late I would be thinking of a good conspiracy theory right now. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.13  Right Down the Center  replied to  GregTx @3.1.11    2 years ago

A classic

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.14  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  GregTx @3.1.11    2 years ago

Please explain what that youtube is since I can't open it, and it is my responsibility to moderate my articles. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.15  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.14    2 years ago

It is a sat night live skit of the presidential debates including Chevy chase as ford.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1.16  GregTx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.14    2 years ago

Apologies Buzz, I forgot.  It's  a SNL skit of the 1976 debate.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.17  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.15    2 years ago

Thanks

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.18  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  GregTx @3.1.16    2 years ago

OK.  No problem.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.19  Jasper2529  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.12    2 years ago
I would think it would be more likely to be on a racing bike than a mountain bike but i am not sure.

They're used on both road and mountain bikes.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.20  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    2 years ago
"We are also constantly losing good members who give up trying to be reasonable."

Yep, almost all the really intelligent, thoughtful, educated, and interesting members don't stick around very long

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.21  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.20    2 years ago
Yep, almost all the really intelligent, thoughtful, educated, and interesting members don't stick around very long

yeah, well that answers what would be my next question...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.22  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.10    2 years ago
They would be useful for more power and speed, using upward pressure with one foot at the same time as the downward pressure with the other foot,

Absolutely correct, very useful for road touring, racing and mountain biking

but hardly necessary for the kind of biking that Biden would do. 

Says the guy who said he never used them?

I have had them on a 1972 Schwin Tourer & 1978 Peugeot for 45 years

of club road biking, only recently removing them after moving to the suburbs of 

Fort Worth where I have to ride the streets or city designated paths shared with 

walkers and runners, stopping way too frequently.

The second time I fell because of rude drivers or runners

I went straight home and removed them.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.22    2 years ago

For the longest time I used the kids old bikes. I used a Dyno bike (with the pegs on front and back) for years.

I loved that little bike.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.24  Right Down the Center  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.20    2 years ago

Well when I leave you will know why. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.24    2 years ago

I know why you would. It is because you hate me.

Everybody hates me!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.26  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @3.1.25    2 years ago

Don't take it personally,  I hate everyone. I hate everyone the same so I am not a bigot so there is that. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.27  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @3.1.21    2 years ago
"yeah, well that answers what would be my next question..."

LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.28  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.22    2 years ago

Somehow I doubt that Biden was planning on entering a bike race or doing some bike mountain climbing.  As for just riding a bike at his age, since I'm capable of doing it, for sure he is.

I can only recall falling off a bike 3 times.  The first time was when I first got on a bike and was just learning how to do it, the second time was in Bermuda when I was on a rented electric bike and I lost control of it, first time on a powered bike, and the last time was about 15 years ago here when I was speeding much too fast on a path and ahead of me were 4 guys walking beside each other in the same direction as me ahead of me and I rang the bell, shouted, and they didn't move aside and I steered into the bushes, fell off and dislocated my elbow.  That didn't stop me from riding a bike.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 years ago
This is the divisive political environment in the USA nowadays.

Names of schools, streets, towns, etc are being changed these days, so why not also change the motto "In God We Trust" to "Divide and Conquer"?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    2 years ago

I think it has.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 years ago
Every little petty thing is blown out of proportion by the opposition and every problem in the opposition is downplayed and dismissed.   This is the divisive political environment in the USA nowadays.   Our political parties are net negative;  they do more harm than good.

You're right. People pick on Donald Trump entirely too much. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3    2 years ago

Why do you intentionally twist the meaning of my posts?    My post does not argue that no politician is worthy of criticism and surely does not imply that Trump does not deserve the majority of the criticism he receives.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.1    2 years ago

This country is in a serious crisis. Enough with this "both sides" bullshit. 

By the way, Trump deserves ALL the criticism he receives. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.2    2 years ago

Your problem is that you read "both sides" (i.e. claiming the parties are equivalent in all ways) into everything.   Get a grip John.

By the way, Trump deserves ALL the criticism he receives. 

No he does not; that is irrational.   People make false/unsupported allegations about Trump too such as being peed upon by Russian prostitutes.   A false allegation is wrong even if applied to an abysmal character.   For example, Stalin does not 'deserve' the false criticism that he was a pedophile even though Stalin is among the absolute worst human beings in history.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.3.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.2    2 years ago

Enough with this "both sides" bullshit. 

Ok. It is the democraps and the democraps alone that are fucking up the country. Glad we cleared that up.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Not the image America wants to project. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago

Oh, for crying out loud.  He's a fit older man engaging in a healthy activity who had a slightly clumsy moment and shook it off.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    2 years ago

He might want to wear knee pads. Or better yet ride a recumbent bike.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @4.1.1    2 years ago

91za0qhEoXL.jpg

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago

I think I need a bigger seat but I like the color

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.4  GregTx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking, as long as they can keep him off the roads and he stops and checks at driveways. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  GregTx @4.1.4    2 years ago

I am a few year away but I am thinking of this.256

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    2 years ago
He's a fit older man engaging in a healthy activity

Although I commend his desire to cycle as a friendly means to "meet and greet", engaging in this activity at approximately 5-10 MPH for a few minutes once in a while doesn't improve one's health.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.6    2 years ago

Your source for his route, speed, time spent biking, and frequency?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.7    2 years ago

There are plenty of videos you can watch, if you wish. He's certainly not doing this cycling for cardio health when most of the time he's merely coasting on flat pavement.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.8    2 years ago

And you're sure such rides are the only exercise he gets?

I recall a certain amount of uncertainty over whether he'd be allowed to bring his Peloton bike to the White House.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.9    2 years ago
over whether he'd be allowed to bring his Peloton bike to the White House.

I can see why. It is usually center yet then it will lean left, then it goes center again, then it leans right, then it goes center again.

Can't have such divisiveness. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.9    2 years ago

Good grief, the level of pettiness in our divisive partisan environment is disgraceful.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @4.1.10    2 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.13  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.11    2 years ago

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"  (Robert Browning)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago

At least Biden can ride a bike.  Very few Americans believe Trump could manage that feat. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    2 years ago

Have there been alot of polls on if people thought Donald could ride a bike?

Part of riding a bike is getting off a bike so....... 

While I applaud joe for keeping fit it is a fact that your balance deteriorates as you get older and you will be more apt to have mishaps. I hope joe would not do something he felt iffy about just for a photo op.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @4.2.1    2 years ago

Have you ever seen Donald Trump dance? He is not a physically active person. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.2.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.2    2 years ago

I have. It is funny. Doesn't mean he can't ride a bike.

My wife tells me I can't dance but I often ride a bike and notice it is not as easy getting off as it once was. And I am only 66

GregTx
PhD Guide
5  GregTx    2 years ago

C'mon ya'll,  surely all of us have forgotten to put our feet down when we came to a stop on a bicycle? Don't act like you haven't.... 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  GregTx @5    2 years ago

I haven't been that drunk in a long long time.

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.2  squiggy  replied to  GregTx @5    2 years ago

In all fairness to the dumbass, things like cages and clips - designed to lock the foot to the pedal - are pretty fuckin stupid on a casual bike.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6  igknorantzrulz    2 years ago

I have to wonder how many attempting fun at Biden, will be biking on two wheels when they are his age

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6    2 years ago

Maybe they will have a better idea of their limitations.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Right Down the Center @6.1    2 years ago

Yes, it would be great if people could understand their own comprehension abilities, instead of following cult leaders because they can’t accept they’ve been duped by Lying pols!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.1.1    2 years ago

I agree.  It would also be nice if people didn't allow their hatred of other people or things that they convince themselves of things that are not true.

But humans are a funny species.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Right Down the Center @6.1.2    2 years ago

They’d be hilarious, if they weren’t so blatantly STUPID!

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2  squiggy  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6    2 years ago

As many as have a cleanup entourage.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  squiggy @6.2    2 years ago

I sorta worriedly recall 45 needing a clean up entourage, when and wherever, he opened up his big ole yap

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.2.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.2.1    2 years ago

While I think Donald had no filter when he spoke and talked shit Biden's issues with needing a clean up crew seem much deeper.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Right Down the Center @6.2.2    2 years ago

He had no filter…meaning he Really thought Mike Pence SHOULD HAVE BEEN HUNG! You are making progress RDTC

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.2.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.2.3    2 years ago

You forgot the talks shit part of the comment. I learned years ago to take everything that comes out of his mouth with a bucket of salt. Funny how some call him a habitual liar but then decide to believe what he says like it is gospel if it fits their narrative.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Right Down the Center @6.2.4    2 years ago

No, what’s funny is how you use it to pretend to back up your narrative, because he has stated he won the election. Do you believe he won or lost ? 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.2.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.2.5    2 years ago

He lost, but nice try at a deflection attempt.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7  igknorantzrulz    2 years ago

Do you believe people died on 1/6 ?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
8  igknorantzrulz    2 years ago

Do you believe Trump LYING had ANYTHING at all to do with these people DYING ?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9  Jasper2529    2 years ago
"I got my foot caught" in the toe cages.

Actually, both feet were already out of the toe cages when he fell. His left foot was already on the pavement, and his right foot was out of the cage and almost on the pavement.

Toe cages and other pedal accoutrements are used to enhance a cyclist's foot retention, cadence, and speed. At the slow, leisurely pace Joe bikes, he really doesn't need them, IMO, but to each, his own.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1  TᵢG  replied to  Jasper2529 @9    2 years ago

Impeach Biden!!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
9.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @9.1    2 years ago

If only gross incompetence was grounds for impeachment. 😕 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Right Down the Center @9.1.1    2 years ago

Under the right circumstances, gross incompetence could cause a PotUS to be removed from office:

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office , the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Better hope that Biden remains as PotUS because next in line is Harris.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
9.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.2    2 years ago

That is more than a little scary. Come on joe, be more careful.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Right Down the Center @9.1.3    2 years ago

I agree because she would then also be the incumbent which typically ensures the party nomination.   Then all that need happen is for the GoP to nominate Trump and we have IMO the worst presidential nominees (taken together as a pair) ever in the history of the USA.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
9.1.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.4    2 years ago

Thanx, for the very unpleasant thought

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  igknorantzrulz @9.1.5    2 years ago

Welcome to my nightmare iggy.   

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
9.1.7  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.4    2 years ago

Elon musk to the rescue! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Right Down the Center @9.1.7    2 years ago

He certainly has the influence to give his candidate DeSantis a major boost.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @9    2 years ago

It bothers me that he said his foot was caught in the toe-cage when in fact it was not - it says something about his credibility.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.2    2 years ago

Well, he likely knew that there would be hyper-partisan people jumping on this as proof that he's ready for the nursing home.  For some, anything less than a full-twisting double backflip dismount from his bike after completing a triathlon wouldn't be good enough.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.2.1    2 years ago
"Well, he likely knew that there would by hyper-partisan people jumping on this as proof that he's ready for the nursing home."

That's at least proof that he doesn't have Alzheimer's yet.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.2    2 years ago

Biden has 'white-lied' (and worse) throughout his career.   Not a great quality but also typically harmless.   Certainly you see the reason why he would seek to smooth out any rough narratives (partisan politics are ugly).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.2.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @9.2.3    2 years ago
"Biden has 'white-lied' (and worse) throughout his career."

Is there a politician who hasn't?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.2.4    2 years ago

Likely not.   I doubt one could get elected without engaging in lying / deception due to the need to pander.