╌>

Clarence Thomas suggests Covid vaccines are developed using cells of 'aborted children' - POLITICO

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   POLITICO

Clarence Thomas suggests Covid vaccines are developed using cells of 'aborted children' - POLITICO
Cells obtained from elective abortions decades ago were used in testing during the Covid vaccine development process, a practice that is common in vaccine testing.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Legal

Clarence Thomas suggests Covid vaccines are developed using cells of 'aborted children'

Cells obtained from elective abortions decades ago were used in testing during the Covid vaccine development process, a practice that is common in vaccine testing.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F41%2F4a%2Fb3588407477dac65115e456160b0%2Fhttps-delivery.gettyimages.com%2Fdownloads%2F1236038464

"They object on religious grounds to all available COVID-19 vaccines because they were developed using cell lines derived from aborted children," Justice Clarence Thomas said of the petitioners. | Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas in a dissenting opinion Thursday suggested that Covid-19 vaccines were developed using the cells of "aborted children."

The conservative justice's statement came in a dissenting opinion on a case in which the Supreme Court declined to hear a religious liberty challenge to New York's Covid-19 vaccine mandate from 16 health care workers. The state requires that all health care workers show proof of vaccination.

"They object on religious grounds to all available COVID-19 vaccines because they were developed using cell lines derived from aborted children," Thomas said of the petitioners.

None of the Covid-19 vaccines in the United States contain the cells of aborted fetuses. Cells obtained from elective abortions decades ago were used in testing during the Covid vaccine development process, a practice that is common in vaccine testing — including for the rubella and chickenpox vaccinations.

A group of doctors, nurses and other health care workers brought the case, suing the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York in an objection to the state's vaccine mandate on religious grounds. The district court issued a preliminary injunction, but the Court of Appeals reversed it and the Supreme Court ultimately declined to hear the challenge on Thursday.

The Court instead left in place the lower court ruling rejecting petitioners' claim that New York's mandate violates the First Amendment right against religious discrimination. All 16 health care workers were either fired, resigned, lost hospital admitting privileges or decided to receive the vaccine.

Conservative Justices Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch joined Thomas in his dissenting opinion. And some Thomas defenders noted that he was simply reciting the allegations made by those refusing to get the vaccine.

Thomas argues in the opinion that the court should have granted a petition to open for full deliberation the question of whether a mandate like New York's can ever be neutral or generally applicable if it doesn't exempt religious conduct but does permit secular conduct — such as medical exemptions.

The state allows a narrow medical exemption for those who are highly allergic to the Covid-19 vaccine.

"Because I would address this issue now in the ordinary course, before the next crisis forces us again to decide complex legal issues in an emergency posture, I respectfully dissent," Thomas writes.

POLITICO

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Fine, I am saying straight up Thomas has dementia!

He is no longer competent to preside as a Justice...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago
Fine, I am saying straight up Thomas has dementia! He is no longer competent to preside as a Justice...

Based on WHAT, exactly?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    2 years ago

Due to his rapidly advancing cognitive decline!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    2 years ago

Is that really a stone  you want to stone  after you just seeded this article?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    2 years ago

Oh, ok, sorry, Dr. JBB.

Is that your official diagnosis?

Have you often diagnosed patients without actually seeing them and talking to them?

Seems to me like you misunderstood what was said by whom, but decided to run with it anyway, which only makes it foolish.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    2 years ago

Yet it is not like this is the only stupid thing Thomas said lately. He is a veritable font of crazy conspiracy theories and bad ideas...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.1.4    2 years ago
Yet it is not like this is the only stupid thing Thomas said lately

Have you bothered to actually READ your article???????

"They object on religious grounds to all available COVID-19 vaccines because they were developed using cell lines derived from aborted children," Justice Clarence Thomas said of the petitioners.

Are you actually attempting to claim that the petitioners did NOT think that, that their case did not include that?

What did Thomas say that is quoted in the article that was stupid?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    2 years ago

Have you bothered to actually READ your article???????

A number of left wing outlets all ran the same basic story with the same false implications.  It’s almost like they coordinated…

but one can see why they do. Their readership rarely get the past the headline, especially when it plays to stereotypes.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1.1.4    2 years ago

Sounds like it could be tertiary syphilis - I think that's what #45 is suffering from also.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.7    2 years ago
tertiary syphilis

Why is this disease important?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

TT (Token Thomas) was never qualified or competent in the first place.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

This is disingenuous, even for the left wing media.   I guess they don't think enough of their readers that they will either read the case or even  understand basic English. 

He cited the argument made by a party, which is what Justices do.   That's it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago
He cited the argument made by a party, which is what Justices do.   That's it.

Somebody can't see that, even though it is pointed out in the article at least twice.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

This gets even funnier.  

Politico then tweets out a statement confirming what the healthcare workers Thomas cited claimed, that vaccines were tested on cells obtained from abortions.

Thank you for posting this. It really exposes how dishonest the media reporting is. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    2 years ago
Clarence Thomas Suggests Covid Vaccines Are Developed Using Cells Of 'Aborted Children'

No. He didn't. He explained that that was what someone else thought. It happens to be technically true, but more on that below.

"They object on religious grounds to all available COVID-19 vaccines .

Also,

None of the Covid-19 vaccines in the United States contain the cells of aborted fetuses.

That's also not what he said. He didn't say the vaccines contain the cells of aborted fetuses. It's not even what the people he was referencing said (although there are some dummies who think this).

because they were developed using cell lines derived from aborted children," Justice Clarence Thomas said of the petitioners

This is an important discussion and not one that should be argued with straw men. This objection needs to be debunked or called out on truthful terms. What he said was,

they were developed using cell lines derived from aborted children

And that is 100% true. Drugs are tested on human cells that are thousands of generations removed from the original aborted tissue. These aren't the actual cells from those abortions. They are cell lines derived from them. Just as was said. 

Nevertheless, some people claim a religious objection on this basis. However, even the Catholic church has said people should get vaccinated. Perhaps one reason is that the many religious hospitals all around the world have been dispensing drugs and vaccines tested on these cells for decades.

Many - if not most - medicines are tested using these cell lines to see how the drugs would interact with human cells before actually testing them on living people. That's why the objection is so absurd. Tylenol was tested this way. So was Advil, Tums, Pepto Bismol, Sudafed, Preparation H, pretty much every antihistamine you could name, etc. The list is LOOOOOOONG. If you're willing to take any of these drugs, you should be willing to get a Covid vaccine.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  evilone  replied to  Tacos! @4    2 years ago

A damned fine post, Tacos. Also, according to the article I read yesterday, the Rubella vaccine (developed the same way) is required for healthcare workers in NY without exception for religious reasons and no one sued there. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    2 years ago

So what if they were tested on abortion waste? 

Gordy327
Professor Guide
5.1  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @5    2 years ago

That's what I say. And who cares anyway? Besides, perhaps Justice Thomas should stick to law and not medicine!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1    2 years ago

You didn’t understand the story either

Gordy327
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.1    2 years ago

So Justice Thomas did not say the Covid vaccine was developed from fetal cells? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.2    2 years ago

Did you read the article?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.3    2 years ago
Did you read the article?

We know the answer about comprehension. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.2    2 years ago
So Justice Thomas did not say the Covid vaccine was developed from fetal cells?

No, he didn’t. At least not for this story. He summarized someone else’s position.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
5.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.5    2 years ago

Thanks for clarifying. Of course, such a position is inaccurate and based on ignorance. I've heard some make that claim before.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    2 years ago

Steven----err I mean Clarence can pontificate all he wants.  Doesn't matter.  He still can't attend the Klan rally with his wife.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  bbl-1 @6    2 years ago
mean Clarence can pontificate all he wants.

Lol.. DO you know what pontificate means? It's not summarizing what someone  else argued...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1    2 years ago
DO you know what pontificate means?

Obviously not.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @6    2 years ago
He still can't attend the Klan rally with his wife.

That part of your little post is fucking STUPID.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2    2 years ago
hat part of your little post is fucking STUPID.

It seems to going around. Rex Chapman, former UK basketball player and CNN plus host  Rex Chapman, and owner of a very popular twitter account says Clarence Thomas isn't a real black person because he never saw  him at an NBA game.  

The racism is so over the top now. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.1    2 years ago
It seems to going around. Rex Chapman, former UK basketball player and CNN plus host  Rex Chapman, and owner of a very popular twitter account says Clarence Thomas isn't a real black person because he never saw  him at an NBA game.   The racism is so over the top now. 

I guess he is just following Joe Biden's lead on defining black people strictly on who they vote for.

Damn pitiful.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
6.2.3  Revillug  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.1    2 years ago
Clarence Thomas isn't a real black person because he never saw  him at an NBA game. 

I'm not a real white person because I never attended a klan rally.

I'm ok with that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @6.2.3    2 years ago
I'm not a real white person because I never attended a klan rally.

So you are a fake white person?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.1    2 years ago
The racism is so over the top now.

And it always comes from the left.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @6    2 years ago

We all know she is the one who wears the pants and is calling the shots in the TT household.

They're both complicit in 1/6/21 also.  

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7  Revillug    2 years ago

The optimist in me says the glass is half full - maybe Thomas isn't going to take this conspiracy theory to its obvious conclusion and ban Covid vaccines because unborn life is sacred.

The pessimist in me says the glass is half empty  - of course that is where Thomas is going to go with this.

But the historian in me knows that Thomas would just want to know whose pubic was floating in the water.

"He got up from the table at which we were working, went over to his desk to get the Coke, looked at the can and asked, 'Who has put pubic hair on my Coke?'" Hill told senators.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @7    2 years ago

Best listen to the optimist side--Thomas can not ban anything.

Hallux
Professor Principal
8  Hallux    2 years ago

... and yet Ketanji Brown Jackson was trashed from the get-go, and as of today in a seed by a NT member still is, as a "radical leftist" before she has even made one ruling. The hypocrisy of whining over Thomas's treatment is laughable.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @8    2 years ago
he hypocrisy of whining over Thomas's treatment is laughable

First,  kudos for using a yet another seed attacking Thomas based upon a laughably dishonest mischaracterization of his work to attack people for defending him.  

But sure. The woman who claims to not know what a woman was  criticized for her ideology, and that  makes it okay for the left  to engage in racist attacks against Justice Thomas and for the MSM to lie about his rulings.

Hallux
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.1    2 years ago
The woman who claims to not know what a woman was 

You should really be posting over at FOX with the other lemmings who have been trained to spout the same comment ad infinitum and always leaving out the rest of the response to Martha Jackson's attempt at 'gotcha'!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @8.1.1    2 years ago
with the other lemmings who have been trained to spout the same comment

Lol...And who trained you?  The deflection to Justice Jackson after yet another dishonest attack on Thomas blew up in your face is textbook partisanship.  Did you graduate from the Wile E Coyote school for Democratic apologists? 

Hallux
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.1.2    2 years ago
And who trained you?

Vampirella and assorted Vixens.

Oh and if I ever make a racist attack, point it out and I will permanently and willfully leave this site.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Just to get this straight:

Thomas said "They object on religious grounds to all available COVID-19 vaccines because they were developed using cell lines derived from aborted children," 

The next paragraph confirms what Thomas said is true " Cells obtained from elective abortions decades ago were used in testing during the Covid vaccine development process"

The same people that were all for confirming a Supreme Court Justice that doesn't know what a woman is are getting their panties in a bunch over this.

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif