╌>

Joey Chestnut is chomp champ again in July 4 hot dog contest

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   The Associated Press Staff

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Joey Chestnut reacts after winning the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July hot dog eating contest in Coney Island on Monday, July 4, 2022, in New York. Chestnut at 63 hotdogs to win the men's division of the contest. (AP Photo/Julia Nikhinson)

NEW YORK -  

Frankfurter-munching phenom Joey "Jaws" Chestnut gobbled his way to a 15th win Monday at the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July hot dog eating contest, powering down 63 hot dogs and buns at the annual exhibition of excess.

In a decisive chowdown comeback, women's record-holder Miki Sudo downed 40 wieners and buns to win the women's title after skipping last year's frank fest because she was pregnant.

Monday also marked the contest's return to its traditional location outside Nathan's flagship shop in Brooklyn's Coney Island neighborhood. The event was relocated in 2020 and last year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"It's beautiful to be back here" in front of a throng of spectators, Chestnut told ESPN after his feat, which the 38-year-old managed while wearing a surgical boot because of a leg injury.

"It hurts, but I was in the zone for a little bit. I was ignoring it," said Chestnut, but the pain eventually slowed his pace in the 10-minute competition.

Last year, the Westfield, Indiana, resident topped his own record by consuming 76 franks and buns.

Sudo, of Tampa, Florida, set the women's record at 48 1/2 weiners and buns in 2020, before taking last year off while expecting. She and Nick Wehry -- a fellow competitive eater whom she met through the Nathan's contest in 2018 -- welcomed son Max on July 8, 2021.

From dad's arms, the baby watched his 36-year-old mother notch her eighth Nathan's win. She told ESPN afterward that she hoped he would someday take a message away from it.

"I want to set an example," she said, "to do things that you love and push yourself to your absolute limits and, when things get difficult, to still give it a try. And, you know, you might actually just come out victorious."

Sudo then took over parenting duties while Wehry tried for the men's title.

In conjunction with the spectacle, Nathan's donates 100,000 franks to the Food Bank for New York City.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

RED BOX RULE:  Off topic comments will be deleted.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

It's beyond my comprehension how he could do it.  His picture does not show that he is a 300 lb giant.  I might eat 2 hot dogs at a sitting, and maybe if I forced myself I could manage a third one, but 63?  

Revillug
Freshman Participates
2.1  Revillug  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

It sounds dangerous. How long is it until someone dies trying to do this?

I think they should rethink this contest and have a fixed amount of hotdogs that whoever finishes first is the winner.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
3  Revillug    2 years ago

Does this article even get around to mentioning this?:

Joey Chestnut won his 15th Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest on Monday, but it wasn’t without some drama. In the middle of the annual July 4 competition, an animal rights protester rushed the stage while wearing a Stormtrooper mask and carrying a banner that read “Expose Smithfield’s Deathstar,” in reference to the pork producer and food-processing company. Upon seeing the protester, Chestnut put him into a brief but forcible chokehold as security apprehended the activist, then promptly got back to business by downing a total of 63 dogs and cruising to another championship. All in a day’s work.

Joey Chestnut Puts Protester in Chokehold During Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest

I cooked a few hotdogs for myself and the wife today.

My favorite method is to give them four or five slices on two sides so the sausages don't explode and then fry them up in unsalted butter. You get that savory effect of seared meat.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Revillug @3    2 years ago

It was the only article about it that I read, so thanks for the additional info, and for the recipe to make the dogs more special.  Back in Toronto when I used to BBQ I used to make slices as well to make sure the interior of the dogs got better cooked. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
3.1.1  Revillug  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    2 years ago

July 1st is also Canada Day, right?

It's pretty cool that we both celebrate our nationhood so close to each other. Americans and Canadians should make more of a point of partying with each other. We really should turn it into a week's long celebration.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2  Tacos!  replied to  Revillug @3    2 years ago

I thought he had killed that guy for a second. It looked like he broke his neck.

You know you’re a pro when you can take time out to choke a dude while kicking everyone else’s ass.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @3.2    2 years ago

Wow!!!  I just watched a video of that scene - Joey is one amazing guy, put that protester in a chokehold and maybe only lost one second from his eating task.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
3.2.2  Revillug  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.1    2 years ago

I wouldn't even know where to begin to put a guy in a chokehold.