╌>

Texas woman found guilty of killing expectant mother to take unborn baby

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   Associated Press By The Associated Press

Texas woman found guilty of killing expectant mother to take unborn baby
A Texas woman was convicted of capital murder Monday for killing a pregnant woman to take her unborn baby.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NEW BOSTON, Texas — A Texas woman was convicted of capital murder Monday for killing a pregnant woman to take her unborn baby.

A Bowie County jury in northeast Texas deliberated about an hour before finding Taylor Rene Parker, 29, guilty of the October 2020 murder of Reagan Michelle Simmons-Hancock, 21, and the abduction of the daughter cut from her womb who later died.

The verdict of a jury of six men and six women came after three weeks of sometimes grisly testimony.

221003-Taylor-Rene-Parker-in-court-KTAL-snip-ac-1109p-6e590d.jpg Taylor Rene Parker in court in New Boston, Texas on Sept. 12.KTAL

Parker's attorneys argued that the baby was never alive and moved to dismiss a kidnapping charge, which would have lowered the capital murder charge to murder.

"That's why in opening statements we spent so much time on definitions. You can't kidnap a person who has not been born alive," said Jeff Harrelson in his final argument to the jury.

Prosecutors said, however, that several medical professionals testified the infant had a heartbeat when born. They also recounted Parker's actions leading to the day Simmons-Hancock was killed.

"We have methodically laid out what she (Parker) did, why she did it, all the moving parts, and all the collateral damage. The best evidence the state of Texas has that baby was born alive is that Taylor Parker said it wasn't," said prosecutor Kelley Crisp.

Fellow prosecutor Lauren Richards recounted all of the masquerades Parker performed for different people, including the pregnancy she faked leading up to the killing.

"In the past two weeks, the evidence has never been more clear," Assistant District Attorney Lauren Richards told the jury. "She's a liar, a manipulator, and now she's gonna be held accountable for it."

She reminded the jury of how Reagan was beaten in the head at least five times with such force that the blows compressed her skull into her brain.

"The pain Reagan must have felt when Taylor started cutting her abdomen, hip to hip … indescribable," Richards said. "When Taylor had the baby and Reagan was still alive, that's when Taylor started slashing and cutting. She can't leave her alive. It was no quick death. She just kept cutting her. I guess Reagan would not die fast enough for Taylor to get out of there and get on with her plans."

The punishment phase has been scheduled to begin Oct. 12. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty, although jurors may opt for a sentence of life imprisonment without parole.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

It's in Texas, so maybe they could have added performing an abortion to increase the penalty.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

It was just a fetus anyway.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

A truly ignorant  statement.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3    2 years ago

No surprise that a right-wing Texan would take umbrage at that statement.  Although it will be about Arizona, where 19th century anti-abortion law is now taking effect, wait till you see the seed I'm going to post in a few minutes about Arizona to see what ignorance relating to abortion is. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.1    2 years ago
No surprise that a right-wing Texan would take umbrage at that statement. 

Really, you shouldn't be surprised if anyone takes umbrage with your statement.  Doesn't really have anything to do with being right or left.

Although it will be about Arizona, where 19th century anti-abortion law is now taking effect, wait till you see the seed I'm going to post in a few minutes about Arizona to see what ignorance relating to abortion is.

I tremble with anticipation.

For the record, my position on abortion has always been pretty clear. I am all for them. I think a woman should have as many as she wants and can afford.

I also believe that abortion seems a very poor choice of birth control in today's world, to me, especially given a plethora of choices and most are widely available.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.2    2 years ago

Good for you.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

That happended here in the land of Oz a few years back. I remember how sick I felt.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    2 years ago

meh, it'll probably be plea bargained down to kidnapping in texas.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @2    2 years ago

Thanks for the valuable contribution.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2    2 years ago

except it wasn't,  which reading  the article  would been your first clue. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    2 years ago

And yet people call California nutty...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3    2 years ago

Exactly, you would never see a woman charged for causing her fetuses death in California or NY.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4  Revillug    2 years ago

There are deranged people among us who do things we cannot comprehend.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Liberal Democrat shitholes should take notice.  When you arrest somebody for murder you hold them until the trial and when found guilty they go to prison.  You don't release them.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
6  Revillug    2 years ago

You seem nice.