╌>

Biden says he was raised around Puerto Ricans 'at home politically' during visit to see Hurricane Fiona damage

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  26 comments

By:   Louis Casiano (Fox News)

Biden says he was raised around Puerto Ricans 'at home politically' during visit to see Hurricane Fiona damage
President Biden surveyed the damage in Puerto Rico left by Hurricane Fiona and announced $60 million in federal assistance to help the island recover from the storm

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Biden visited Puerto Rico on Monday in an effort to express support for the island following the impacts of Hurricane Fiona, saying he was raised in the Puerto Rican community on the U.S mainland in a political context.

Biden surveyed the damage left by the storm, met with officials and spoke in Ponce where he pledged future support to the U.S. territory of 3.2 million people of $60 million in funding federal.

"We have a very… large Puerto Rican population in Delaware," he said. "I was sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home, politically. We came here for a long time as part of both business and pleasure. I'm committed to this island."

During his remarks, he discussed past failures by the federal government to support the island following natural disasters.

"You haven't gotten the help in a timely way," he said, referring to 2017's Hurricane Maria. "We came here in person to show that we're with you. All of America is with you."

The Trump administration was harshly criticized for its response after the storm and the slow pace of aid to the island. Puerto Rico still hadn't recovered from Maria when Fiona struck earlier this month, causing massive power outages and infrastructure damage.

The lack of electrical power on the island led to the temporary closure of businesses, including gas stations and grocery stores, as fuel supplies dwindled amid heavy generator use. As a result, many cheered the Biden administration's decision to temporarily waive a federal law so that a British Petroleum ship could deliver 300,000 barrels of diesel.

Many also have begun demanding that Puerto Rico be fully exempted from the law, known as the Jones Act, that requires that all goods transported to Puerto Rico be aboard a ship built in the U.S., owned and crewed by U.S. citizens and flying the U.S. flag. This drives up costs for an island that already imports 85% of its food.

Puerto Rican Gov. Pedro Pierluisi said he has requested Biden extend the disaster declaration in Puerto Rico, cover 100% of the cost to move debris, and provide other federal assistance.

"We want to be treated in the same way as our fellow Americans in the states in times of need," Pierluisi said. "We're confident that the president will heed our calls for equal treatment."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Louis Casiano is a reporter for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be sent to louis.casiano@fox.com.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

"You haven't gotten the help in a timely way," he said, referring to 2017's Hurricane Maria. "We came here in person to show that we're with you. All of America is with you."

Still trying to divide and pandering to yet another group.

Can't democrats ever win on their policies???

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

We will see if the Puerto Ricans want to help themselves this time around?

After Hurricane Maria food and water sat in warehouses gathering dust; because Puerto Rican truck drivers refused to run. The media, Democrats, and Puerto Rican officials were quick to blame Trump. Didn't realize power over Puerto Rican truck drivers fell under a US President's domain? Same with electricians, construction workers, water works, etc.

For example, the stories correctly paraphrase Valle as saying that plenty of supplies — including generators, water, food, medicine and fuel — had been sent to Puerto Rico, then accurately cite him as saying:

“It’s a lack of drivers for the transport trucks, the 18 wheelers. Supplies we have. Trucks we have. There are ships full of supplies, backed up in the ports, waiting to have a vehicle to unload into. However, only 20 percent of the truck drivers show up to work.”

What the stories don’t include, though, is what Valle said right after that: “There should be zero blame on the drivers. They can’t get to work, the infrastructure is destroyed, they can’t get fuel themselves, and they can’t call us for help because there’s no communication. The will of the people of Puerto Rico is off the charts. The truck drivers have families to take care of, many of them have no food or water. They have to take care of their family’s needs before they go off to work, and once they do go, they can’t call home.”

That the condition of the roads and lack of fuel has hindered the relief effort is backed up by statements from Brock Long, the administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

“You don’t just bring the commodities in, you have to be able to pump them down the roadway systems that we have been working desperately to get open,” he said on Fox News on Oct. 1.

“We’ve opened up 11 major highways, but this morning there are over 3,200 different problems reported with the roadway systems — from bridges missing, to roads being blocked by flood waters, to roads just disappeared because of landslides,” he said.

Long emphasized later that day on ABC News that local support efforts in Puerto Rico have been slowed by the sheer magnitude of the disaster, getting hit by two hurricanes in less than two weeks.

Hurricane Irma tore through Puerto Rico on Sept. 6, then Hurricane Maria followed on Sept. 20.

Puerto Rico is a prime example of corruption and mismanagement. Not much has changed since Maria. 

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/353506-puerto-rico-was-a-disaster-long-before-maria-ravaged-the-island/ 

We'll see if Puerto Rico is willing to help themselves rebuild; or sits around waiting for the US to pay for and fix everything. If that is the case will the media hold Brandon accountable the way they did Trump?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2    2 years ago

The media was blaming Trump before Maria hit.

And let us not forget this:

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Trump embarrassed the US went he went to Puerto Rico after a hurricane a few years ago. 

Get back to us when Biden starts throwing paper towels at people. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    2 years ago

In other words, all you are concerned with is sound bites and optics.

If that's the case you couldn't have elected a worse president and vice president.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
President Biden visited Puerto Rico on Monday

A round of drinks that Biden will skip Florida.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    2 years ago

He'll hit Florida soon enough. He has Democrat mayors of several large cities to get photo ops with. 

Meeting with DeSantis or touring Florida away from major Democrat run cities will not be on the itinerary. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    2 years ago

I think he's going to bypass it.  DeSantis has embarrassed  Biden on almost every front.  Biden will ignore the Florida Democrats all because of where they reside.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Somebody tell Joe that he wasn't brought up by Puerto Ricans. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 years ago

What does that mean?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    2 years ago

That means that Biden is trying to pander to Puerto Ricans and it is really unbecoming of somebody who holds the office of the president.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    2 years ago

So let me get this straight. If he didn't go, you would have said he didn't care, and if he does go, he is pandering.

Talk about damned if you do...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    2 years ago

I credit him with going. It was his duty to go.  His BS story about Puerto Ricans was pure pandering and was disgusting.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.3    2 years ago

It is not unusual for politicians to do that Vic. You just don't like the guy.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.5    2 years ago
It is not unusual for politicians to do that Vic.

To pander to various groups?  Primarily that has been a democrat thing ever since LBJ said he would keep those ******* voting democrat for the next 200 years.

Maybe this might sober Joe up:

People in Puerto Rico have only been asked their race on the Census since 2000. Since then, they’ve overwhelmingly marked themselves as white, much more so than Puerto Ricans in the mainland U.S. do.

You just don't like the guy.

On that you are right. I don't like the guy who promised to unite the country, hid in his basement and fullfilled all of the radical left's wildest dreams as president. 

Do you like him?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    2 years ago
Somebody tell Joe that he wasn't brought up by Puerto Ricans. 

Scranton Joe simply handed out another imaginary cultural appropriation line to add to all of his others. It'll be interesting to hear KJP's word salad excuse for this one. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2    2 years ago
Joe that he wasn't brought up by Puerto Ricans.

That should be interesting. No doubt she'll have a lot to explain by the next press briefing. I can only assume that right now she is mixing a "bloody mary."

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.1    2 years ago
 I can only assume that right now she is mixing a "bloody mary."

If I were she, I'd have 3 before trying to explain Biden's newest f-up. Even Psaki was slightly better ... her circle back binder had thousands of colorful sticky notes hanging out of it!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.2    2 years ago

Thank God, for her sake, the media is so damned biased.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 years ago
"We have a very… large Puerto Rican population in Delaware," he said. "I was sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home, politically.

Uh, no. That’s horseshit .

Biden, 79, was first elected to the US Senate in 1972 — two years after winning election to the New Castle, Del., County Council. According to the 1970 US Census, Delaware had about 2,154 people who were either born in Puerto Rico or descended from Puerto Rican parents — roughly 0.39% of the First State’s population of nearly 550,000 at the time.

And that’s when he was already a grown man - not even when he was being “raised.” He’s as full of shit as a Puerto Rican goose.

As for what the qualifier “politically” might mean, I think it would be a fantasy to credit him with it having any meaning at all. He’s just making shit up.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 years ago

As an aside, are Puerto Rican geese more full of shit than other varieties? jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

George
Junior Expert
5.2  George  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 years ago

Maybe Corn Pop was Puerto Rican? I’m sure all minorities look alike to Joe.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
"We have a very… large Puerto Rican population in Delaware," he said. "I was sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home, politically. 

And I thought that it was Indians:

"I've had a great relationship in Delaware. The largest growth in population is Indian Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent to put — I'm not joking."

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  Tacos!  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6    2 years ago

One of these days, Joe will just claim that he was the only white boy in the state - and even his parents were minorities.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    2 years ago

And there are people actually dumb enough to believe it.

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
7  dennissmith    2 years ago

Just more from Biden that the Dems will no doubt walk back or simply ignore without supporting what he said.