╌>

Appeals Court Rules Against DACA Immigration Program

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Michelle Hackman and Alicia A. Caldwell (WSJ)

Appeals Court Rules Against DACA Immigration Program
Obama-era initiative benefiting young immigrants was unlawful, panel says, but it doesn't cut off access for current program recipients

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that an Obama-era initiative that provides deportation protections and work permits to some young immigrants is unlawful, placing the decade-old program in jeopardy.

The decision, by the Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, largely affirmed a 2021 ruling by a federal district judge in Texas, who found the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, was an overreach of presidential authority because Congress never gave the executive branch the power to grant mass reprieves to immigrants who are residing in the U.S. without authorization.

A Fifth Circuit three-judge panel said DACA was “manifestly contrary” to federal immigration law.

The earlier ruling allowed the program to continue for existing DACA recipients for the time being while litigation continued. The Fifth Circuit likewise declined to cancel the program immediately for current recipients while additional court proceedings continue.

Wednesday’s decision also didn’t address recent efforts by the Biden administration to  shore up DACA’s legality . The appeals court said the Texas district court should consider that issue first.

The Department of Homeland Security in August reissued the DACA program as a federal regulation after a public-comment process. That regulation is set to take effect on Oct. 31.

DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said the agency was reviewing the ruling and will work with the Justice Department on a response. He also emphasized that current DACA recipients still enjoy protections for now.

The fate of DACA recipients—and, more broadly, the group known as Dreamers, immigrants in the country without authorization who were brought to the U.S. as children—has become a flashpoint in the larger fight over immigration reform. The continuing legal and political battles over the program have created years of uncertainty for  the nearly 600,000 young immigrants  who depend on the legal protections.

Texas and other Republican-led states challenged DACA’s legality in a 2018 lawsuit, arguing the program has cost them money in the form of issuing driver’s licenses and other documents to DACA recipients. A year earlier, former President  Donald Trump  had attempted to end the program, though his action was also challenged in court by DACA recipients and Democratic-led states.

Texas’ suit was put on hold while challenges to the Trump cancellation worked their way through the courts. In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court in 2020 rejected the Trump administration’s attempt to cancel the program , saying it hadn’t offered adequate reasons for the move. The justices, however, didn’t rule on the legality of DACA itself, which has remained an open question in the years since President Obama introduced it in 2012.

The office of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

DACA offers temporary protections  to immigrants in the country without legal authorization who were 30 years old or younger when the program was announced. DACA recipients must have arrived in the U.S. before they turned 16, by a cutoff date in June 2007, and satisfied other conditions, including being a student or graduate and having no significant criminal record.

The Obama administration created the program to protect the immigrants after Congress failed to pass a bill providing them a path to citizenship.

Wednesday’s ruling is expected to add fresh urgency to sputtering bipartisan immigration talks in Congress. Democrats and many Republicans favor creating a permanent legal status for the Dreamers, though they disagree about what other measures—such as creating additional penalties for migrants illegally crossing the southern border—should accompany such a proposal.

Juan Carlos Cerda, a deputy campaign director for the American Business Immigration Coalition and a DACA recipient, said the ruling marked another frustrating moment. “Once again, we are forced to wait on edge for another court to render a decision that will determine our futures and the fate of our families,” he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

It was always illegal. Why do we allow presidents to get away with it?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said the agency was reviewing the ruling and will work with the Justice Department on a response.

Mayorkas is waiting to see what the ruling is so that they can work to circumvent the laws again.  

Because of garbage like this, BILLIONS is being wasted on illegals that should have gone to US Citizen and immigrants who are here legally..

George
Junior Expert
3  George    2 years ago

Now that they have provided their contact info, INS should have no trouble finding and deporting their illegal ass’s

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ronin2  replied to  George @3    2 years ago

That is what should happen; but we all know Biden has issued orders that unless they break a US criminal law they won't be touched. Breaking our immigration laws doesn't count to Democrats

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

"Come here Legally or not at all" needs to be written under that!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    2 years ago

Isn't it tiring when people post that crap like it is national policy instead of a poem on a statue?

Get a clue!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    2 years ago
"Come here Legally or not at all" needs to be written under that!

Actually, I agree with that.  But the problem that I think should be solved is those who may have come illegally many years ago, have good jobs, pay their taxes, etc. i.e. the DACA ones, and I don't believe they should be deported, but should be naturalized. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago

Illegal is illegal. They need to go through the same process as everyone else.

They can give them extended green cards so they can legally live and work in the US. So long as they don't commit any crimes their green cards remain good. They can hire immigration lawyers, and go through the same process as any other legal immigrant applicant coming to the US.

I have nothing against legal immigration. In fact I don't know anyone that does. I have two friends from college that came to the US to study and went through the legal naturalization process. It took years; and they had to reapply for green cards several times to stay. I have great respect for both of them for doing it the correct way.

Now if you want to talk about streamlining the naturalization process for those that want to come here legally- all for it; but that is something Congress must do. Neither party has any real interest in it. Democrats want general mass amnesties (which makes coming here legally completely worthless); and Republicans want the process so exclusive that none but those that offer unique skills are let through (doctors, engineers, etc.)

DACA just encourages more illegal immigrants to come and bring their young children. Knowing that families will not be expelled; and that future DACA's will be given to protect their children.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago
But the problem that I think should be solved is those who may have come illegally many years ago, have good jobs, pay their taxes, etc. i.e. the DACA ones, and I don't believe they should be deported, but should be naturalized. 

The solution for that is simple.  Give them a suspense to begin the process to become LEGAL citizens.  Say 30 days.  If the process isn't at least started by a certain date, then they are removed from the country.  

For those seeking asylum, better accountability is needed.  Right now there is no accountability for them.

There is no need to change the laws.  Millions have come into the country under the existing rules.  Those crossing illegally can do it the same way.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago
But the problem that I think should be solved is those who may have come illegally many years ago, have good jobs, pay their taxes, etc. i.e. the DACA ones, and I don't believe they should be deported, but should be naturalized. 

I agree, but that's not what DACA does. 

DACA just says "we're not going to deport you.... today.... but we might change our minds".

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.3    2 years ago
Illegal is illegal.

It just isn't.

There is no sane way to equate "I was brought here as a 2-year-old" with "I brought my 2-year-old".

They can give them extended green cards so they can legally live and work in the US. So long as they don't commit any crimes their green cards remain good.

Great idea.

DACA just encourages more illegal immigrants to come and bring their young children. Knowing that families will not be expelled; and that future DACA's will be given to protect their children.

Don't you have to already have here prior to 2012 to be eligible for DACA?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

That's when they had to go thru Ellis Island

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    2 years ago
"That's when they had to go thru Ellis Island"

Thank you.  I didn't know that.  I appreciate your gracious rather than nasty reply.  

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.3  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

[deleted]

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.4  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

That is a good slogan for a scrap yard or recycling center,  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @4.4    2 years ago

LOL.  So it is.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

Buzz - Many people, even Americans, mistakenly use this poem as a plea for all types of immigration, but it's very misguided. Here's why ...

Emma Lazarus reluctantly wrote "The New Colossus" as an entry for an NYC political fund-raising contest for the pedestal, and it had nothing to do with immigration - legal or illegal. Further, the poem's plaque wasn't installed on the pedestal until approximately 20 years after her death.

There are many other sources about this, if you'd like to read more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.5    2 years ago

Thank you Jasper. I won't make the same mistake again. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Biden scolds 'MAGA Republicans' after 5th Circuit Court strikes down DACA, orders no new applicants

So it's the fault of republicans that Obama set some illegal shit up.  How stupid is this clown?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    2 years ago

Biden is freaking clueless.

MAGA didn't have shit to do with a court striking something down as illegal.

Looks like Biden learned nothing from Hillary's monumental blunder with her 'deplorables' comment.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago
Looks like Biden learned nothing from Hillary's monumental blunder with her 'deplorables' comment.

and the result will be the same.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.1    2 years ago
and the result will be the same.  

Sure hope so, I suppose we will see how effective Biden's campaign tactics are in a few short weeks!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    2 years ago

We've seen how Biden's campaign tactics are.  It took FBI involvement and media misinformation to get anything done.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.3    2 years ago

Democrats would probably fare better if Biden's handlers kept him muzzled.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.4    2 years ago

They'd fare better after lobotomies.  But after seeing their supporters I don't think that would work either.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.5    2 years ago

The Biden/Harris Administration is showing the world how incredibly inept they can be. It is simply astounding the low levels they can sink to.

No plans, no clues, no guts.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.6    2 years ago
The Biden/Harris Administration is showing the world how incredibly inept they can be.

The sad part of that is American's knew of their incompetence before hand and there were STILL people dumb enough to vote for them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.7    2 years ago
The sad part of that is American's knew of their incompetence before hand and there were STILL people dumb enough to vote for them.

And the really dumb ones will again, if given the chance.

Think Biden's handlers will have him run again?

Damn sure can't trot out the VP as a serious contender for the nomination.

Newsome is too much of an idiot, and many outside of Cali know it.

Who else they got?

Maybe Beto will take another (unsuccessful) run?

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.2  squiggy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    2 years ago

"Nobody fucks with a Biden"  -  Joe Biden, yesterday.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  squiggy @5.2    2 years ago

I thought that was hilarious.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Those born here (anchor babies) are automatically citizens, I believe.

Those brought here as children should be fast tracked to citizenship

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago

Correct.

Anything other than deferment (the DACA rule) must be done by Congress and they (both sides) have failed to act. This is too big a wedge issue for them to do anything helpful.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.2  Ronin2  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago

That law needs to be fixed ASAP. Just being born here should not make anyone a US citizen. One parent at least must be a US citizen.

Give them extended green cards so they can live here and work; and will remain good so long as they don't break the law. But they need to go through the same process as any other immigrant wanting to legally become a US citizen.

The naturalization process needs to be streamlined; but that is up to Congress- and they are too partisan and stupid to fix it.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.2.1  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @6.2    2 years ago
Give them extended green cards so they can live here and work; and will remain good so long as they don't break the law.

That's exactly what DACA was for.

The naturalization process needs to be streamlined; but that is up to Congress- and they are too partisan and stupid to fix it.

It needs to be streamlined AND needs more people to process applications and yes, that would take an act of Congress. They aren't stupid it is being using it as a wedge issue. Rubio & Graham voted against their own immigration fix bill when it was judged not "conservative enough" by the MAGA populists.