╌>

Biden Pardons People Convicted of Marijuana Possession Under Federal Law - The New York Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  58 comments

By:   Michael D. Shear (nytimes)

Biden Pardons People Convicted of Marijuana Possession Under Federal Law - The New York Times
The president urged governors to follow his lead for people convicted on state charges of possession.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The president urged governors to follow his lead for people convicted on state charges of possession.

merlin_204885015_0539936e-5bd1-4b45-93d7-5f5c0c80de4b-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale Protesters outside the White House in 2016.Credit...Jose Luis Magana/Associated Pressauthor-michael-d-shear-thumbLarge-v2.png

By Michael D. Shear

Oct. 6, 2022Updated 4:00 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — President Biden on Thursday pardoned all people convicted of marijuana possession under federal law and said his administration would review whether marijuana should still be a Schedule 1 drug like heroin and LSD, saying that "makes no sense."

The pardons will clear about 6,500 people who were convicted on federal charges of simple possession of marijuana from 1992 to 2021 and thousands more who were convicted of possession in the District of Columbia, officials said ahead of the president's announcement.

Mr. Biden urged governors to follow his lead for people convicted on state charges of simple possession. The number of convictions under state laws vastly outnumbers those who have been charged with a violation of federal laws, limiting the overall reach of the president's actions on Thursday.

Still, the moves — which come about a month before the midterm elections — represent striking shifts for the federal government on a campaign promise that Mr. Biden made in 2020.

"Sending people to jail for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives — for conduct that is legal in many states," Mr. Biden said on Twitter on Thursday. "That's before you address the clear racial disparities around prosecution and conviction. Today, we begin to right these wrongs."

More About Cannabis

With recreational marijuana becoming legal in several states, cannabis products are becoming more easily available and increasingly varied.

• Use on the Rise: Federal survey data on substance use shows the growing mainstream acceptance of cannabis and hallucinogenic compounds among young adults.
  • An Aphrodisiac? : The data is scarce, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the right dose of cannabis can make a woman's orgasms more satisfying and increase sex drive.
  • N.Y.'s Licensing Effort : People who have been punished for marijuana offenses are first in line to open retail cannabis dispensaries in New York.
  • CBD and Insomnia: The research on this cannabis compound is sparse, but some experts argue that there are ways it could indirectly soothe you to sleep.

Mr. Biden stopped short of calling for the complete decriminalization of marijuana — something that Congress would have to do — and said that the federal government still needs "important limitations on trafficking, marketing, and underage sales of marijuana."

But the president's executive actions move the federal government in the direction of the positions taken by some state governments, which have already reduced or eliminated the criminal punishments for simply possessing marijuana — punishments that for decades have sent people to jail.

Advocacy groups, including those representing minority groups, have been urging Mr. Biden to take action as a way of demonstrating his commitment to reforming the inequities built into the criminal justice system.

They praised the president's announcement, but said the impact on real-life individuals will be limited if the states do not follow suit. And they said it means the federal government will still be pursuing criminal charges involving marijuana trafficking, which are more common.

Only 92 people were sentenced for marijuana possession in the federal system in 2017, out of a total of nearly 20,000 drug convictions, according to the U.S. Sentencing Commission.

Udi Ofer, a Princeton University professor and former deputy national political director of the American Civil Liberties Union, said simple possession of marijuana is a crime "almost entirely prosecuted by the states." The federal government tends to more commonly prosecute marijuana trafficking crimes, he said.

"This is an important political statement, it's an important value statement, it's progress but this is a drop in the ocean of injustice," Mr. Ofer said.

Inimai Chettiar, the federal director of the Justice Action Network, called the president's move "a really good step" and said one of the most important parts of Mr. Biden's policy is the directive to review how future marijuana crimes are prosecuted.

"That's trying to change a policy decision that was made that marijuana is as dangerous as these other drugs, which we know is not true," Ms. Chettiar said.

Administration officials said individuals convicted of possession under federal law will be able to apply for a pardon certificate from the Justice Department to use when they are trying to get a job, find housing or apply to college. The federal government will stop charging anyone with simple possession starting on Thursday.

Marijuana is already fully legal in about 20 states, and some other states have relaxed criminal penalties, according to DISA, a large drug-testing company that tracks state laws regarding marijuana. It remains fully illegal in a handful of states.

Continue reading the main story

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Good!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Screw the laws, right?  Pandering for votes amongst stoners and deadbeats!  jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago

Evidently Joe doesn't know that there are zero federal prisoners for “simple” possession.

How would he know?  Do the people who voted for him know?

How about the pot heads?  What do they know?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago

Wait, are you high?  It’s not about releasing anyone from prison.  Although I’m sure your preferred world would have everyone who has ever caught a marijuana charge be imprisoned for life.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.3  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago
Screw the laws, right?

This does nothing about the laws. Only congress can do that.

Pandering for votes...

Almost assuredly pandering to progressives and legal state dispensary businesses/investors. 

EDIT: Apparently 55% of Republicans are in favor of legalization and a full 2/3rds of all Americans.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago

[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 years ago
Screw the laws, right?

A pardon is legal.

And anyway, nationwide, about 68% of Americans support the legalization of marijuana . Not legalizing it sort of says, “screw the will of the people.”

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.6    2 years ago

I agree.  Playing devils advocate.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago

We know a lot!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @1.1.3    2 years ago

It's a WIN-WIN

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

I think most of the pot heads would be voting for democrats anyway.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

Good point.  Marijuana is an excellent way to treat the inherent hateful and subhuman mindset of conservatism.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    2 years ago

weed, saving republican lives for the last 100 years.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    2 years ago

So true - we would never vote for such hateful and subhuman scum (aka/gop/alleged conservatives/republicans) EVER.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago
I think most of the pot heads would be voting for democrats anyway.

And most of the empty heads will be voting for republicans.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

Guess the GOP will just have to rely on the meth vote.

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    2 years ago

As late as last year Biden was resisting calls to do any work on marijuana, so this is a reversal of his previous stances. We don't need full legalization but for the feds to drop it down the drug schedule would be fantastic.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilone @3    2 years ago
"...for the feds to drop it down the drug schedule would be fantastic."

...fantastic and common sense.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @3    2 years ago

"As late as last year Biden was resisting calls to do any work on marijuana, so this is a reversal of his previous stances."

So what?  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  evilone @3    2 years ago

Pot is more dangerous than feyntonl, that is what the US government currently says. That is retarded beyond belief and has been for decades. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    2 years ago

I don't have any issue with this action except for one little problem....

If a person was convicted of simple possession which was the charge resulting from a plea deal down from a more serious charge then to deal.  

But it's long since time to remove it from the Schedule 1 drug list and let it go.  We've lost so much money in the war on drugs with no real win, it's time to give it up.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 years ago

I’m glad, but once again we see that a president must act because Congress won’t.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 years ago

This would be a one time pardon.  Anything else that Biden does with this can be reversed by the next president.  I would rather the president use his bully pulpit to shame congress into action.  For too many years we've had presidents who use their bully pulpit to hammer the other political side for political gain, but we've not really had a president use it to hammer congress as an entity and start a grass roots campaign to get something done.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Snuffy @5.1    2 years ago
Anything else that Biden does with this can be reversed by the next president.

I do not believe there is legal precedent for reversing a pardon, and I expect it would be seen as violating the 5th amendment guarantee of due process.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    2 years ago

That's why I said 'anything else'.   I know a pardon cannot be reversed.  But Biden is looking to do more (such as reviewing the Schedule 1 drug list) and if it's done by the President then it can be undone by the next one.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.2    2 years ago

Can he unilaterally do that without some kind of congressional or judicial approval??

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.3    2 years ago

Are you talking about the Drug Scheduling list?  The answer to your question would be yes, the President can as the list is managed by the DEA which is part of the DOJ.  Here's an interesting read on the Drug Scheduling list and how it's managed.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.4    2 years ago

Thanks for the article. Interesting even though dizzying at the same time LOL. Thanks again

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Snuffy @5.1    2 years ago
Anything else that Biden does with this can be reversed by the next president. 

No. Not with criminal pardons. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.7  Snuffy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.6    2 years ago

See 5.1.2    ,  this was already covered.  I know that pardons cannot be reversed, it's everything else that Biden is including in this.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Canada legalized it years ago, so it's about time America learned the lesson that Prohibition taught many decades  ago.  Of course reviving 19th century attitudes and laws, like Arizona has done, is going backwards instead of forwards. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago
it's about time America learned the lesson that Prohibition taught many decades  ago

That doesn’t apply to everything, though. Prohibition is not always a bad idea. Many substances that people take into their bodies are genuinely dangerous, and there is popular support for controlling them or prohibiting them outright. Prohibition failed because alcohol was (and remains) wildly popular. It basically turned a huge portion of the population into law breakers. It’s like outlawing anything that people already do in large numbers. Imagine if we suddenly outlawed cars or air conditioning. It would never work.

Like alcohol, marijuana enjoys substantial popularity (not at the level of booze, of course) and is seen as largely harmless. Historically, the punishments for marijuana possession have generally been felt by the public to far exceed what is deserved.

So in contrast, there isn’t a lot of popular resistance to laws against cocaine, heroine, meth, fentanyl, etc. because people recognize them as dangerous.

Even so, in most state jurisdictions, mere possession of drugs is generally a very minor offense. This is different from federal penalties, which can still be very severe because Congress is so slow to change anything. Most state and local jurisdictions are more interested in treating addicts than in jailing them. Being a drug dealer, though, is more serious. Addicts basically only hurt themselves, while dealers are seen as hurting others.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    2 years ago

Well, I agree with you.  The lesson came from prohibiting something that the majority of the public wanted.  I believe, as I guess you do as well, that alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than marijuana.   Marijuana was the impetus for a great cult horrid movie - Reefer Madness. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    2 years ago

I see no danger to/from marijuana whatsoever.  

Did you ever see the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 take on Reefer Madness?

Excellent! 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    2 years ago
I believe, as I guess you do as well, that alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than marijuana.

Sure. But they have been core components of the majority culture for a long time. Marijuana is a minority cultural tradition. Makes it a lot easier to outlaw.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.4  evilone  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.3    2 years ago
Marijuana is a minority cultural tradition. Makes it a lot easier to outlaw.

The Controlled Substance Act was passed under Nixon and pot was put on Schedule I so they could bust leftist anti-war demonstration leaders and blacks. They got to parade them in front of America on the nightly news as dangerous criminals.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
6.2  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago
Canada legalized it years ago, so it's about time America learned the lesson that Prohibition taught many decades  ago.

In China, cannabis is largely viewed negatively and recreational use is completely banned. Under the PRC Criminal Law, cannabis is legally classified as being equivalent to heroin, opium, morphine and cocaine. There are no provisions under Chinese law for the use of medical cannabis, even with a prescription or through recognized medical channels. The question of “is marijuana legal in China?”  is a resounding no

Is cannabis legal in China? - Plants and prescriptions

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @6.2    2 years ago

Different strokes for different folks.  I don't miss it.  Nobody here that I know of even thinks about it.  I haven't smoked ANYTHING or consumed any kind of non-legal drug for decades, and the last alcoholic drink I had was a shared bottle of beer about 3 years ago.  I intend to force myself to live to 100.

However, I have eaten smoked salmon. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.1    2 years ago
I intend to force myself to live to 100.

Then you need to drink more whiskey and smoke more cigars!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.2    2 years ago

LOL.  Although I can't open to watch that, it doesn't take much imagination to know what he says.  Guess I won't make it to 109,

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.3    2 years ago

That’s a shame. He’s a delightful old man. At the time, he was the oldest living WWII veteran. He was still driving his pickup truck, said he smoked 10-12 cigars a day, and talked of drinking 3 or 4 whiskies in the morning.

I think sometimes you just win the lottery with good genes, but he also seemed to be living a relatively stress-free life, and I think that counts for a lot.

The video is several years old now, and he finally passed at 112.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.2    2 years ago

Thanks Tacos, what a great video about this fascinating character.  From central Texas in 1906 to meeting the President in the WH in 2013.  I was happy to see that he took an Honor Flight to visit DC and see the WWII memorial. Up until a few years ago, I volunteered to assist the Honor Flight program and it was very fulfilling to enjoyed the day with these veterans

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.4    2 years ago

112.  WOW.  Good for him.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Great, hope you are all cool when the next Republican president pardons all the people charged with failure to pay taxes. 

the Imperial presidency grows stronger and stronger

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @7    2 years ago

The last Republican president pardoned crooks and murderers so this doesn't seem like a big deal. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @7.1    2 years ago

Did he pardon all murderers?  

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.1    2 years ago
Did he say all murderers could go free?  

No, he did not but if you're trying to compare releasing convicted murderers of 14 people and wounding 17 others to pardoning those convicted of MJ possession under federal law you need to recalibrate your moral compass. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @7.1.2    2 years ago

You deflected to murderers and trump.  Biden unilaterally pardoned a whole class of criminals. I hope you can figure out the difference. 

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.3    2 years ago

Oh no, he pardoned pot users...

The world is going to end....

I guess if he pardoned his cronies like trump did, you all would have a heart attack.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @7.1.2    2 years ago

What if a President pardoned all trolls?

George
Junior Expert
7.1.6  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.3    2 years ago

I’m sure not one of those criminals plead a more serious charge down for their testimony.

Biden is dumber than the joetards who still support him.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.5    2 years ago

They would end up here....

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Ender  replied to  George @7.1.6    2 years ago

What is dumb is feigning outrage about something most people don't have a problem with.

But you be you...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.3    2 years ago

I know, possession of pot is equal to if not worse than murder...Does the law look at it as the same?

Federal Laws and Penalties

Offense Penalty Incarceration   Max. Fine  

Possession

Any amount (first offense) misdemeanor 1 year $ 1,000
Any amount (second offense) misdemeanor 15 days* - 2 years $ 2,500
Any amount (subsequent offense) misdemeanor or felony 90 days* - 3 years $ 5,000
* Mandatory minimum sentence

Three of the Blackwater guards were convicted of manslaughter and the fourth of 1st degree.

How in world can you compare manslaughter and murder with a misdemeanor of possession?

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.10  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.5    2 years ago

We don't need any more leftists on here.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @7.1.9    2 years ago

I’ll try and make it really simple for you since you are you just  spouting random deflections into the ether. 

there is a difference between pardoning every criminal who committed a specific crime and pardoning some people who committed crimes. Can you understand the difference?

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.11    2 years ago
I’ll try and make it really simple for you since you are you just  spouting random deflections into the ether. 

You are the one that brought up Republican presidents, Sean. Have you forgotten that already? No deflection when in response to your childish comment. 

there is a difference between pardoning an entire class of criminals and some people who committed crimes. Can you understand the difference?

There certainly is, a whole class of misdemeanor offenders, and murderers, three of which were sentenced to 12 to 15 years and the fourth to life in prison. 

I sure do understand it, you seem to be struggling with reality.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8  Snuffy    2 years ago
President Biden's decision to pardon thousands of Americans who faced federal marijuana possession charges will not apply to members of the military.

A White House official made clear Friday that Biden's move does not apply to Uniform Code of Military Justice offenses, meaning service members charged under military law for similar crimes would not be extended the same benefit, according to a Military.com report.

So is this a case where he doesn't really believe what he is doing or is it that he feels most military people vote Republican?  As Commander in Chief he has the authority to do this but has decided not to include military personnel.