╌>

The One Poll That Shows Why Democrats Should Worry About the Midterms

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   Darragh Roche (Newsweek)

The One Poll That Shows Why Democrats Should Worry About the Midterms
A clear majority of registered voters believe Republicans would handle the economy better than President Biden's party.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

PoliticsMidtermsDemocratsRepublicansEconomy

Democrats may have reason to worry about the upcoming midterm elections according to a new poll that shows Republicans leading on two key issues heading into November.

A poll from The Washington Post/ABC News found the the two top issues among registered voters are the economy and inflation—and clear majorities trust Republicans more than Democrats on those issues.

The survey found that 85 percent of registered voters said the economy was either very important or one of the most important issues in deciding their vote in the midterms, while 79 percent said inflation was either very important or one of the most important issues.

The poll was conducted from September 18 to 21 and surveyed 908 registered voters with a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percent.

Among those registered voters, 54 percent said they trusted Republicans to do a better job on the economy, while 37 percent said they trusted Democrats more, 4 percent said neither and 2 percent answered both.

It was a similar picture when it came to the parties' handling of inflation, with 54 percent of registered voters saying they trusted the GOP more on the issue. Just 36 percent said they trusted Democrats more on inflation, while 6 percent said neither and 1 percent said both.

"It's not surprising that the economy, and inflation, are rated as so important by American voters," Robert Singh, a professor at the Department of Politics at Birkbeck, University of London, told Newsweek on Wednesday.

"Midterm elections, and for that matter, presidential elections too, typically hinge on the state of the economy," he said.

"Although there was much speculation that the abortion issue would be critical, this has largely been eclipsed by pocketbook issues, which is normal," Singh said.

"And, as usually occurs, when the economy is faltering the incumbent president's party gets the blame. The Republicans don't really have to do too much in terms of a program, other than to point to the spiraling debt, the profligacy of the Biden administration's spending, and the cost of living to hammer that message home," he added.

The poll results may be a warning sign for Democrats as they brace for midterm elections that are widely expected to be difficult for President Biden's party, though they remain slightly favored to retain control of the Senate, according to poll tracker FiveThirtyEight.

However, FiveThirtyEight's polling analysis also shows that Republicans are favored to take control of the House of Representatives and the economy is likely to remain a major issue during the final month of campaigning.

There are ongoing concerns that the U.S. could enter an economic recession and Biden addressed the matter in an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper on Tuesday.

"I don't think there will be a recession. If it is, it'll be a very slight recession. That is, we'll move down slightly," the president said.

Those comments came after JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon warned that a recession could be on the horizon within six to nine months in remarks on Monday, while the International Monetary Fund (IMF) warned that the "worst was yet to come" in its half-yearly update.

The IMF advised central banks to focus on tackling inflation, which is the current aim of the U.S. Federal Reserve. The Fed has a 2 percent inflation target, but the annualized rate of inflation in August was 8.3 percent. Figures for September are due on Thursday.

President Joe Biden attends a meeting of the Task Force on Reproductive Healthcare Access in the White House October 4 in Washington, D.C. A recent poll may be a warning for Democrats as the midterms approach.Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago
The survey found that 85 percent of registered voters said the economy was either very important or one of the most important issues in deciding their vote in the midterms, while 79 percent said inflation was either very important or one of the most important issues. The Fed has a 2 percent inflation target, but the annualized rate of inflation in August was 8.3 percent. Figures for September are due on Thursday.

While the economy tanks, Democrats still are running against Donald Trump.

"It's the economy, stupid"--James Carville

Doesn't look like Democrats have learned it yet.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

It reflects the Monmouth Poll.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    2 years ago
While the economy tanks, Democrats still are running against Donald Trump

Scared shitless. Holy shit he can’t upset the status quo again?? Just when they erroneously thought people were buying in to their bullshit. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I realize that it's beyond the sensibility of too many American voters to realize that the problem of inflation is world wide, caused by matters not within the control of the American government and that the Democrats are as powerless to control it as they would have been to have controlled Hurricane Ian, but they will be blamed.  Have the Republicans presented a viable plan to end the inflation in the USA?  I doubt it. 

I realize that it's beyond the sensibility of too many American voters to realize that It is America's holding itself out to be the most exceptional nation in the world, and the greatest place in the world to work hard and become a Bill Gates or a Elon Musk or a Jeff Bezos, the nation that is the leader of the free world, the world's policeman, etc so why WOULDN'T people who can walk there from nations where they had to be beggars do so?  Have the Republicans presented a viable plan to deal with the multitude of illegal immigrants?  How about building The Great Wall of Trump?  I'm sure they can do it in less time than the 2500 years it took to build The Great Wall of China, and maybe they can pay for it by ending Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid.

And so in the poll that I ran about 3 months ago wherein those who voted that the Republicans would gain majorities in both the House and the Senate tripled any other possible result, that just might happen.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago

I am sure that inflation in other parts of the world is just as temporary as it is here.

The Republicans in Congress are relatively powerless to pass any legislation regarding inflation since Democrats control Congress and the WH.

I always find it interesting when foreigners opine on American immigration.

Sure doesn't seem like anyone is dying to get into China or Canada.

America has produced the most wealth despite being number 3 in population.

Funny, the poll was pretty specific regarding the economy and inflation--voters trust Republicans more on both.

Perhaps Biden poo-pooing inflation as merely temporary wasn't too smart.

He had better hope the Fed can control it better than they have so far, or will Democrats not only lose Congress this year, they will face an even bigger uphill climb in 2024.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago
"Sure doesn't seem like anyone is dying to get into China or Canada."

They have to walk through the USA to get to Canada, and I don't think anyone has succeeded in swimming across the Pacific yet.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago
"I always find it interesting when foreigners opine on American immigration."

I may not be an American, but I was born and grew up 50 miles from the American border, mixed with American kids from Buffalo at Crystal Beach on the north shore of Lake Erie when I was a teenager, watched mostly American TV stations until I moved to China (Oh how I miss Walter Cronkite and Paul Harvey), have spent time in places in America from Provincetown to Hawaii, from the Redwood Forests to the New York island (as sung by Woodie Guthrie), from Rochester NY to Miami Beach, from Baltimore to Las Vegas, from St. Louis to Dallas, from Los Angeles to Boston, from Chicago to Sarasota, from Detroit to San Francisco, from Nantucket to Palm Springs, from Buffalo to Fort Worth, and have toured the White House and the Capitol Building and rode with Washington Mayor Marion Berry in his 2-seater Mercedes to his favourite place for dinner, and for some years I owned in partnership with my brother a golf condo in Hallandale, Florida, where I did spend a lot of time.  So I do have a little more familiarity with America than quite a few Americans and besides, are only Americans allowed to "speak their mind" about America on NT?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    2 years ago

No one said you couldn't speak your mind, so don't go trying to play the martyr here.

You just don't happen to have a dog in the fight over immigration in America. 

Perhaps all those immigrants dying to get into China should be more of a concern for you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    2 years ago

What immigrants dying to get into China?  Obviously you know more about it than I do.  It's the American corporations hoping for a billion consumers who are dying to get into China, but Biden's trying to stop that.  Look at what just happened to AMD on the Stock Market. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    2 years ago
What immigrants dying to get into China? 

Exactly. Shouldn;t you be more concerned about the immigration policies for where you choose to live?

As is fairly well-known here, Biden is a dumb joke.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    2 years ago

Well, I suppose I'm a kind of immigrant in China, and I didn't have any problem getting in.  In fact I've never read or heard about anyone wanting to come to China who wasn't able to.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    2 years ago

Yeah, and you probably have never heard of thousands of people per day coming into China illegally along with thousands per day coming legally, either.

So?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    2 years ago

Oh, I am sure some people are just dying to get to Canada. Tell them to hop on a free bus to NYC and they will be much closer, no need to trek it all the way.

See how helpful we can be?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    2 years ago

Canada's too cold for those immigrants.  Apparently they prefer to remain in the southern States,  Anyway, Canada has been building a wall to keep them out.

Must have been an American who wrote that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.1    2 years ago
They have to walk through the USA to get to Canada,

Then this comment really has no validity at all:

They have to walk through the USA to get to Canada,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.2    2 years ago

I said walk to get TO Canada, I didn't say INTO Canada.  The snow wall will scare them. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.3    2 years ago
I said walk to get TO Canada,

And I said they can get a free bus ride TO Canada.

The snow wall will scare them. 

Why? Do you think Venezuelans have never seen snow?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.4    2 years ago

This has turned into a useless conversation and I suggest we agree to end it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.5    2 years ago

My seed.

Have a good day

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

The Monmouth Poll on election issues:

9-2022-Issues.png

Those top 5 issues are going to haunt democrats.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    2 years ago

But they aren't smart enough to recognize it yet.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

They are which is why Elizabeth Warren was on MSNBC yesterday saying 

MSNBC’s Chris Hayes and his guest Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass. , agreed Wednesday that if Republicans take even one house of Congress in the midterms, they will "sabotage" and "blow up our economy" to boost their chances in 2024.

This is what politicians do, they use fear to enrage the masses in the hopes that the masses will blindly follow what they push.  The Democrats know they are in trouble this election cycle and they also have no real plans to fix anything beyond their partisan plans so they will push fear of what the other side will do making it all up as they go along.  All they have left to offer is fear.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
"Midterm elections, and for that matter, presidential elections too, typically hinge on the state of the economy,"

And yet the Democrats are still chasing that ever elusive pipe dream.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

[deleted]