╌>

Iran's president blames Biden for 'chaos, terror' amid anti-regime protests

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  20 comments

By:   Olafimihan Oshin (The Hill)

Iran's president blames Biden for 'chaos, terror' amid anti-regime protests
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Sunday blamed President Biden for inciting "chaos" and "terror" amid anti-regime protests happening around the country. In a statement through the country's official news agency, Raisi, who was elected Iran's president last year, gave a stern warning to Biden about the ongoing crisis in his country. "The American president, who…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Sunday blamed President Biden for inciting "chaos" and "terror" amid anti-regime protests happening around the country.

In a statement through the country's official news agency, Raisi, who was elected Iran's president last year, gave a stern warning to Biden about the ongoing crisis in his country.

"The American president, who allows himself through his comments to incite chaos, terror and destruction in another country, should be reminded of the eternal words of the founder of the Islamic Republic, who called America the great satan," Raisi reportedly said.

Biden and other U.S. officials have condemned Iran for its treatment of women and the tactics it used to disperse demonstrators during the ongoing protests, sparked by the death of a young women arrested for improperly wearing a hijab.

"Iran has to end the violence against its own citizens simply exercising their fundamental rights," Biden said in a statement on Saturday, according to Reuters. The U.S., along with other countries, has also imposed sanctions on Iran over its violent suppression of the protests.

The country's morality police have killed at least 185 people in recent weeks, including at least 19 children, Iran Human Rights said last week.

Tensions between Iranian citizens and authorities have escalated amid protests to demand accountability for the death of a 22-year-old Iranian national Mahsa Amini and put an end to violence and discrimination toward women in the country.

The protests have expanded in size and scope to include calls for the end of the government and ouster of its supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Khamenie on Friday issued a stern warning to protesters via state TV, saying that the Islamic Republic could not be toppled.

"That seedling is a mighty tree now and no one should dare think they can uproot it," he said, according to Reuters.

According to a United Nation Human Rights Office report, Amini died at a detention center after spending three days in custody of Iran's morality police, and was "severely beaten" during her detainment. Iranian officials have denied the allegations of torture and ill-treatment in Amini's death, saying that the Iranian national died of a heart attack while in police custody.

In response to Amini's death, workers in various economic sectors have conducted walkouts and strikes in protest of the government.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

The mortal enemy of Israel and Saudi Arabia has put the blame on Joe Biden for "terror" and protests.

The last time there were protests in Iran, Joe's mentor Barack Obama didn't do a thing to help the protestors.

Joe wants to deal with Iran.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

It's rather sad to see conservatives jumping on the Iranian 'bash Biden' bandwagon. I suppose its just one of those 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' things.

Here we have a violent religious conservative leader claiming that our Presidents words of support for freedom and the condemnation of the death of a woman in Iranian religious police custody for simply not covering her hair enough is "inciting "chaos" and "terror", and now religious conservatives here in the US are apparently siding with their fellow religious conservatives in Iran to condemn Biden.

And here I thought the rightwing religious conservatives who constantly defend and deflect for Putin were disgusting, this just takes it to a whole new low.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

“…religious conservatives…”

…two sides of the same coin…regardless of the face on that coin.

Pay to play, whether the personal tithe, the socio-political, or the base economics…

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    2 years ago

That's the most projecting I've ever heard.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

What do you suggest that Biden do?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

Item # 1 would be to drop the ideal of another Iran deal.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

I don't know if that would help the protestors. What else could we do?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    2 years ago

That wouldn't help the protestors, but it's in everyone else's interests, including Biden's personal interests. (via Saudi Arabia)

As far as the protestors go, I think Barack Obama said it best yesterday, when he admitted that he should have done something when it happened during his presidency:

"Looking back at the situation in 2009 and 2010, Obama noted the huge debate inside his administration about whether he should “publicly affirm” the Green Movement. Obama stated that the activists were “accused of being tools of the West” and that some that the administration would undermine their movement if he made public statements of support."

“In retrospect, I think that was a mistake. Every time we see a flash, a glimmer of hope, of people longing for freedom, I think we have to point it out. We have to shine a spotlight on it. We have to express some solidarity about it,” said Obama."

How hard would it be for Biden to announce US solidarity with the protestors?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    2 years ago

I am well aware of all of that, Vic. Is ''shining a light on it'' the minimum or maximum we should do? 

IMO, anything beyond ''shining a light'' could put us in a position that isn't going to be tenable. 

We could arm the Kurds which is a fairly substantial population and directly involved in this because it was a young Kurdish woman that was killed. Or we could start subversive operations if we haven't already been doing that. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    2 years ago
I am well aware of all of that, Vic. Is ''shining a light on it'' the minimum or maximum we should do? 

It is a starting point.

We could arm the Kurds which is a fairly substantial population and directly involved in this because it was a young Kurdish woman that was killed.

I'd be for that.

Or we could start subversive operations if we haven't already been doing that. 

I doubt we are doing that. Biden wouldn't do anything to harm a possible deal with Iran.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.4    2 years ago
I'd be for that.

And that would entail a response from Iran not only to the Kurds but to the US.

I doubt we are doing that. Biden wouldn't do anything to harm a possible deal with Iran.

Speculation and or course the usual ''Biden'' deflect.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.1.5    2 years ago
And that would entail a response from Iran not only to the Kurds but to the US.

That's the kind of thinking that got us in this mess. 

Here's where we should be:

"On September 6, 2007, Israeli fighter-bombers destroyed a mysterious installation near the Euphrates River in the Deir-ez-Zor region. The strike incurred curiously little response from Damascus. A cyber-attack reportedly pre-empted a defensive Syrian military mobilization, and even the diplomatic outcry was muted. No other Arab governments commented on the attack, and even the Israelis did not acknowledge the operation for quite some time."

The lesson: On September 5, 2007 Syria was part of the world's select nuclear club. By the night of September 6, 2007, it wasn't.

Speculation and or course the usual ''Biden'' deflect.

"Iran experts I speak to are baffled why Biden administration still focused on reviving a weak Iran nuclear deal that would infuse IRGC with funds while brave Iranian women are standing up to this brutal regime. They say US gov’t must halt talks and speak up to help these women."...Jennifer Griffen

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.6    2 years ago

Are you proposing that we air strike nuclear facilities in Iran?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    2 years ago
“In retrospect, I think that was a mistake. Every time we see a flash, a glimmer of hope, of people longing for freedom, I think we have to point it out. We have to shine a spotlight on it. We have to express some solidarity about it,” said Obama."

The Arab Spring quickly turned to winter in 2011.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.1.7    2 years ago

I think we should have done that 15 years ago.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

Treat Iran like he is Saudi Arabia. That would be a decent start.

No nuclear deal.

No oil contracts.

Terminate any Iranian militias in Iraq or Syria that threaten our troops.

End our support of the Iraqi government- which is just a tool of the Iranian government.

Turn the Saudis loose on the Houthis in Yemen. 

Put the blockade and trade embargos back in place on Iran.

That would be a start.

Time to start treating the Iranian government like the enemies to the US they really are.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @2.2    2 years ago
Treat Iran like he is Saudi Arabia. That would be a decent start. No nuclear deal.

SA at this time doesn't have a nuclear program. A nuclear deal with Iran would imminently lower oil prices since they would put 1 to 1.5 million BPD on the market. Just a thought.

No oil contracts.

I wasn't aware that we had oil contracts with Iran.

Terminate any Iranian militias in Iraq or Syria that threaten our troops.

We are already doing that in Syria. Didn't Trump do that in Iraq?

End our support of the Iraqi government- which is just a tool of the Iranian government.

Ok, we could do that but are you ready to accept the fall out since that would embargo their oil production? Which in turn would hurt the Kurds which defeated ISIS.

Turn the Saudis loose on the Houthis in Yemen. 

They were turned loose years ago in case you haven't heard. We supply SA with the most modern weapons and what they have managed to do was kill tens of thousands of innocent civilians and still can't defeat the Houthis. 

Put the blockade and trade embargos back in place on Iran.

OK, do you mean a physical embargo by blockading their ports?

Time to start treating the Iranian government like the enemies to the US they really are.

OK, let's go do it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

Typical of theocratic dictatorships and leadership, and some Western nations, it is always so much easier to shunt blame onto others for their foul ups with their populace rather than to accept responsibility and try to fix things without the violence they are themselves responsible for.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

So the Iranian President operates just like the Democrats.  Blame everybody for failed policy but themselves.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    2 years ago

Looks that way. You know they cannot blame it on the will of Allah.