╌>

GOP lawmakers condemn Trump's meeting with Kanye West and white nationalist Fuentes

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  2 years ago  •  50 comments

By:   Jon Ward ·Chief National Correspondent

GOP lawmakers condemn Trump's meeting with Kanye West and white nationalist Fuentes

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Jon Ward

· Chief National Correspondent

Mon, November 28, 2022 at 3:41 PM

156f7510-6f56-11ed-b7fb-25878ca09276

Donald Trump, Kanye West and Nick Fuentes. (Photo illustration: Yahoo News; photos: Andrew Harnik/AP, Ashley Landis/AP, William Edwards/AFP via Getty Images)

Prominent Republican lawmakers on Monday condemned former President Donald Trump’s dinner last week with two men who have expressed virulently antisemitic views.

Trump   ate at his Mar-a-Lago compound   with the rapper Kanye West, now legally known as Ye, and far-right media figure Nick Fuentes.

Ye has drawn criticism in recent weeks for   a series of antisemitic rants . He’s also been accused by former co-workers of   praising Adolf Hitler .

87468611-6f56-11ed-b5f6-d478706277ac

West embraces Trump in the Oval Office, Oct. 11, 2018. (Ron Sachs/Consolidated News Pictures/Getty Images)

Fuentes became a white supremacist activist shortly after Trump was elected president in 2016. He   said in 2017   that “a tidal wave of white identity is coming,” he has   cast doubt   on whether the Holocaust took place, and   he has said   that the era of Jim Crow segregation and racial terrorism against Black people in America was “better for them.”

Many  Democrats and  former Republican lawmakers , as well as conservative publications such as the  Wall Street Journal , have already castigated Trump for taking a meeting with Ye and Fuentes. Trump, who has said he’s running for president again in 2024, has denied knowing who Fuentes was prior to their dinner.

“So I help a seriously troubled man, who just happens to be black, Ye, who has been decimated in his business and virtually everything else, and who has always been good to me, by allowing his request for a meeting at Mar-a-Lago, alone, so that I can give him very much needed ‘advice,’” Trump   wrote over the weekend   on his social media platform, Truth Social.

Trump then referred to Fuentes and another dinner guest as people he “didn’t know.”

87468610-6f56-11ed-9b6d-185419bcf428

Fuentes, then an 18-year-old student at Boston University, rallies in support of Trump on Jan. 30, 2017. (Christopher Evans/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald via Getty Images)

Republicans currently in positions of political power were largely quiet about Trump’s dinner until Monday. Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp was the first nationally known Republican official to weigh in on the meeting.

“I am extremely proud that Georgia’s relationship with Israel and the Jewish community has never been stronger. Racism, antisemitism, and denial of the Holocaust have no place in the Republican Party and are completely un-American,” Kemp   told a reporter   for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Monday morning.

A little after lunchtime, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., became the first Republican member of the Senate to comment. Unlike Kemp, Cassidy mentioned Trump by name.

03a227f0-6f57-11ed-bffb-8a6446d0961a

Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., is one of a small number of Republican leaders to criticize Trump by name for his meeting with Ye and Fuentes. (Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call via Getty Images)

“President Trump hosting racist antisemites for dinner encourages other racist antisemites. These attitudes are immoral and should not be entertained. This is not the Republican Party,” Cassidy   said in a statement .

Shortly after that, Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine,   told a reporter   at the Capitol, “I condemn white supremacy and antisemitism. The president should never have had a meal or even a meeting with Nick Fuentes.”

“It sends the wrong signal for him to meet and have dinner with [Fuentes],” Collins elaborated in a statement to Yahoo News.

More Senate Republicans are expected to condemn Trump later on Monday.

In an interview airing Monday night with journalist Leland Vittert, former Vice President Mike Pence likewise criticized Trump for dining with Fuentes.

“President Trump was wrong to give a white nationalist, an antisemite and a Holocaust denier a seat at the table, and I think he should apologize for it,” Pence said. “And he should denounce those individuals and their hateful rhetoric without qualification.”

“That being said ... I don’t believe Donald Trump is an antisemite,” Pence added.

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, has never been shy about criticizing Trump, and he did so again on Monday.

“There is no bottom to the degree to which he’s willing to degrade himself, and the country for that matter. Having dinner with those people was disgusting,”   Romney told NBC News .

“I voted to remove him from office twice,” Romney continued. “I don’t think he should be president of the United States. I don’t think he should be the nominee of our party in 2024. And I certainly don’t want him hanging over our party like a gargoyle.”

Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., told CNN   that Trump’s dinner with Fuentes was “a bad idea on every level.”

“I don't know who's advising him on his staff, but I hope that whoever that person was got fired,” he said.

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va.,   also decried the dinner , telling CNN, “It’s ridiculous you would do something with someone who espouses those views.”

Late Monday, a spokeswoman for Sen. Tim Scott, R-SC, provided a statement to Yahoo News as well.

"It’s unfortunate that it continually needs to be said, but of course the man who’s dedicated his career to stamping out hate and racism thinks it’s a bad idea for anyone to elevate racists or anti-Semites," said Scott spokeswoman Caroline Anderegg. "Senator Scott’s vision for America is rooted in opportunity, optimism, and freedom—standing in stark contrast with the recent comments from Kanye West and the vile rhetoric of Nick Fuentes."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

"Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., is one of a small number of Republican leaders to criticize Trump by name for his meeting with Ye and Fuentes. (Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call via Getty Images)

“President Trump hosting racist antisemites for dinner encourages other racist antisemites. These attitudes are immoral and should not be entertained. This is not the Republican Party,” Cassidy       said in a statement   .

Shortly after that, Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine,       told a reporter       at the Capitol, “I condemn white supremacy and antisemitism. The president should never have had a meal or even a meeting with Nick Fuentes.”

“It sends the wrong signal for him to meet and have dinner with [Fuentes],” Collins elaborated in a statement to Yahoo News.

More Senate Republicans are expected to condemn Trump later on Monday."

Too much, too little, too late from some folks.  He's been courting these racist scum all along.  His base.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1    2 years ago

Funny how some prolific posters here on NT don't deem this as newsworthy.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 years ago

most republicans are wimps and can't muster the courage to call out the morons, thumpers, antisemites, and white supremacists within their party because they know they wouldn't have a party left.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    2 years ago
most republicans

Most progressives are scum.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.2    2 years ago

the reluctance of some republicans to refute trump's unamerican activities is tacit approval of those activities. thankfully, their participation in future elections is continuously decimated by natural causes.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    2 years ago
the reluctance of some republicans to refute trump's unamerican activities is tacit approval of those activities.

On the other hand, the mere fact that a few have been willing to stand up to him, shows just how far Trump has fallen.  4 years ago there would have been nary a peep from the GOP about it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

“So I help a seriously troubled man, who just happens to be black, Ye, who has been decimated in his business and virtually everything else, and who has always been good to me, by allowing his request for a meeting at Mar-a-Lago, alone, so that I can give him very much needed ‘advice ,’”jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif Trump      wrote over the weekend       on his social media platform, Truth Social.  

Trump then referred to Fuentes and another dinner guest as people he “didn’t know.”  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

316113188_596371799201490_626313680255912183_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=0NS6KZFYnIQAX9vQXLY&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfCAqHJUl57pzKxvPhLa7gM4RrlqiesBwl-IooKa4McelQ&oe=638B4295

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

313375329_555181229945707_8047045977170379769_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=74Zu6rCyKtcAX_VOHJC&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfDVtlMT7lTXe8Wr_g-y9jEi-ij1GOvpusSl-jIkXSTykA&oe=638B74D5

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

315958099_192424219987981_8635643288307154933_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ejmOh1lII0UAX8cKtKj&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfCEtL1bjW5VRTWuIhYrslndpZxqcdZVYqN0drMpgCjoBg&oe=638BA27D

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    2 years ago

It was bizarre a couple days ago when one of our prominent right wing members declared that this "is not a news story".

But it is likely a dominant view among rank and file trumpsters, who dont give a damn about what Mitt Romney thinks. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago

See how they're avoiding this like the plague?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago
when one of our prominent right wing members declared that this "is not a news story".

Sounds like a great guy, whoever it was.

How does somebody bringing somebody unknown to dinner rate as a news story?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2    2 years ago
when one of our prominent right wing members declared that this "is not a news story".

See Post 5

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2    2 years ago

Nick Fuentes is not an "unknown". Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar spoke at one of his conferences. Your desire to make excuses for Trump has no bottom. We all know that. 

Trump says that he has someone like Kanye West to dinner , at Trump's home, because West says nice things about him on television.  Trump is evidently not concerned at all about being associated with a high profile anti-semite. 

You think these are not stories? LMAO. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.2    2 years ago
Nick Fuentes is not an "unknown".

I had no idea of who he was before this incident. I doubt that millions of Americans have any idea of who he is either.

Who gives a fuck?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.3    2 years ago

There a lot of young entertainers that I have no idea who they are and couldnt identify them if my life depended on it. That doesnt make them unknown. 

Fuentes is known along the same lines as the Proud Boys are known and the Oath Keepers are known, except he has had GOP congresspeople speak at one of his white supremacist (America First)  rallies. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.3    2 years ago

If the headline without the "White Nationalist" was the only point of reference, with no backstory, I too would have said "Nick who?". And still will. I, like you, don't give a shit.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.4    2 years ago

I don't really keep up with fringe groups or extremists. The only ones I take note of are the ones invited to the White House via Obama and Biden.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.6    2 years ago
I don't really keep up with fringe groups or extremists.

Donald Trump loves people who love him, no matter who they are, QAnon or white supremacists.  I know it, and you know it.  He has said so. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.7    2 years ago

BLM is without a doubt a racist/terror group. Both Obama and Biden invited them to the White House.

511186310.jpg?quality=85&w=594

The difference is how the media frames and/or features these stories.  I'll bet many Americans don't even know that Obama and Biden met with that group, yet the Trump home dinner is drummed relentlessly into everyone's mind.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2.9  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.6    2 years ago

You may not keep up but it seems that Republican Jews sure do. 

Jewish Republicans turn on Trump after dinner with Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @6.2.9    2 years ago

You forgot your link

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.10    2 years ago

One of many links. Republicans both Jewish and none Jewish have turned on Trump.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.12  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @6.2.9    2 years ago

He was one of the haters at the rally that trumpturd said there were fine people on both sides - this Fuentes was shouting Jews will not replace us.

Vic knows who he is, so does trumpturd.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.13  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.6    2 years ago

"The only ones I take note of are the ones invited to the White House via Obama and Biden."

DEFLECTION.

OFF TOPIC.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.14  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.10    2 years ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2.15  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2    2 years ago
How does somebody bringing somebody unknown to dinner rate as a news story?

It all depends on the freak out by the left and what they can claim (with zero evidence). (note lack of link in 6.2.9)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.16  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @6.2.14    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.17  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.2.15    2 years ago

"(with zero evidence)"  jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Look who the fuck is talking.  LOL!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2    2 years ago

he's not

evilone
Professor Guide
6.2.19  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.3    2 years ago
I had no idea of who he was before this incident.

Considering we talked at length about the Charlottesville rally that was organized by Fuentes and I've mentioned him a few times in your threads, I call bullshit. 

Who gives a fuck?

YOU should. It's your party. By not calling the guy out as a horrible human being you by default are supporting him and those like him in YOUR party. By not calling Fuentes and Ye out they get bolder and YOUR party gets smaller. But hey, if you're okay with blatant bigotry and anti-Semitism then continue to overlook the plank in your eye as you focus on the splinter in others' 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2.20  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.17    2 years ago

Then lets see the evidence.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.21  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.2.20    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.22  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.2.20    2 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @6.2.19    2 years ago
Considering we talked at length about the Charlottesville rally

The only thing I ever recall anyone talking about was Trump's statement on it.   As far as what the two groups did, antifa being one of them, simply does not interest me. The bottom line is that people who tear down statues & monuments deserve 10 years in prison.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @6.2.19    2 years ago
YOU should. It's your party.

That's not the GOP, however YOUR party is without a doubt, the party of rioting, hate and violence.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.25  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.23    2 years ago

Here is the inside story of the dinner. Seems Mr. Trump got punked.

And the fix to avoid it happening again.

And as it turns out, he didn't know Fuentes

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.26  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2.25    2 years ago
And as it turns out, he didn't know Fuentes

Nor do most normal human beings.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2.27  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.22    2 years ago
There's something seriously wrong with you

I know.  How dare I expect you to back up your unfounded claims. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.28  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.23    2 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif Your usual BS and deflections

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.29  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.26    2 years ago

Of course scumbag trumpturd knows/knew scumbag Fuentes.

He said to him at this dinner that 'he (Fuentes) gets him' meaning himself, trumpturd

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.30  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.2.24    2 years ago

Your usual projection, deflection and denial

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.31  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.29    2 years ago
Of course scumbag trumpturd knows/knew scumbag Fuentes.

Nope

A s fallout from Donald Trump’s meeting with the white supremacist Nick Fuentes continues, a far-right activist has claimed the meeting was a set-up, meant to “make Trump’s life miserable”.

NBC News reported that in an attempt to “send a message” to the former president, Milo Yiannopoulos, a rightwing provocateur and former Breitbart editor, helped arrange for Fuentes to travel to Mar-a-Lago in Florida for a dinner between Trump and the rapper Ye, formerly known as Kanye West.

Trump dined with Fuentes and Ye at his resort on 22 November. Since the meeting, Trump has been criticized by senior Republicans and by conservative Jewish leaders.

Trump said Ye was invited to dinner and “unexpectedly showed up with three of his friends … whom I knew nothing about”. He has not condemned Fuentes and his views. Fuentes has been described by the chief executive of the Anti-Defamation League as “among the most prominent and unapologetic antisemites in the country”.

Speaking to NBC, Yiannopoulos said he came up with a plan for Fuentes to travel with Ye and hopefully gain access to the former president.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago

Stephen Colbert Spots Massive Self-Own In Trump's Kanye-Fuentes Excuse

Lee Moran
Tue, November 29, 2022 at 2:49 AM

Donald Trump tried to explain away his controversial dinner meeting with antisemite rapper Ye and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes by claiming he didn’t know who Fuentes was when he showed up, saying the meal was only supposed to be with the musician formerly known as Kanye West.

Stephen Colbert wasn’t buying it on Monday’s broadcast of “The Late Show.”

“Not sure ‘I was only scheduled to have dinner with one famous antisemite’ is the defense he thinks it is,” he said.

Colbert also riffed on the moment that West claimed he’d asked Trump to be his vice president. “How would it even work? Can you se nd a mob to hang yourself?” the late night comedian cracked.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Tessylo    2 years ago
Jimmy Kimmel Brutally Roasts Donald Trump, Kanye West and Nick Fuentes
Matt Wilstein
Mon, November 28, 2022 at 11:51 PM
ef30372b00be3080d89dba3f1c32fa1a
ABC

Jimmy Kimmel returned from Thanksgiving break on Monday and could not wait to start talking about   what he described as   a “ meeting of the mindless at Mar-a-Lago ” between Donald Trump, Kanye West and “white supremacist slash Holocaust denier” Nick Fuentes.

“And you know this one was bad because Trump posted not one, but three messages on his imaginary social media site trying to distance himself,” the late-night host said, gleefully reading the succession of “truths” that the former president put up about the dinner. “Only Donald Trump would defend himself by saying, ‘I was only planning to eat with one antisemite,’” he joked.

In response to Trump describing Fuentes as a “guest whom I had never met and knew nothing about,” Kimmel joked it’s the “same thing he says whenever Eric comes over to eat.”

“According to Kanye, Trump was very impressed by his white power pal,” he added later, explaining that after Fuentes told Trump he prefers it “when your speeches are off the cuff, rather than on prompter,” Trump turned to Kanye and said, “He gets me.”

As Kimmel put it to Trump, “You’re not that hard to get. We all get you. You’re like HPV. It’s only a matter of time.”

“But just to recap, Kanye West went to Mar-a-Lago to have dinner with Donald Trump, which sounds like the beginning of a joke,” he said. “And as his plus one, he brought a well-known white supremacist Holocaust denier and Trump claims he didn’t know about.”

This led Kimmel to wonder, “Which is worse? Having the guy over for dinner or having no idea you’re letting a racist rando into a house that was, until very recently, full of unguarded top secret documents? Two words typed into your phone and you know you’re eating with a scumbag.”

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     2 years ago

We've heard a number of different excuses from Thunder Mouth about this and not one of them rings true. 

He was simply appealing to his fans (followers).

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @9    2 years ago

They're scum

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Trump continues to self destruct....shedding yet more supporters every day.

His detractors should be overjoyed.

Save Me Jebus
Freshman Silent
11  Save Me Jebus    2 years ago

Let's say moron Trump didn't actually know who was coming, and didn't know who this fool Fuentes was. I don't actually believe he didn't, but for the sake of argument I'll pretend to take him at his word where he didn't know who this guy was. He can't possibly not know now. Yes, Trump is infinitely stupid, but he can't be that ultimately stupid that after all this media attention he still doesn't know who Fuentes is.

So my question is why after "learning" who Fuentes is, hasn't Trump come out and denounced him?