╌>

Stolen statue of ballerina Marjorie Tallchief found in pieces - FOX23 News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   FOX News

Stolen statue of ballerina Marjorie Tallchief found in pieces - FOX23 News
The Tulsa Historical Society says their bronze statue of Native American prima ballerina Marjorie Tallchief has been found in pieces after it was stolen Saturday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

TULSA, Okla. — The statue, which was taken from outside the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum last Thursday, was discovered Monday morning at a recycling center in Catoosa.

Two workers at a recycling center in Catoosa recognized the cut up pieces and called police.

Part of an arm and the head are still missing.

The statue is of Majorie Tallcheif - one of Oklahoma's and the Osage Nation's most famous women.

The statue is one of five that honors Native American dancers in front of the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum.

Together the artwork is called The 5 Moons.

Michelle Place, the executive director of the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum, said she's devastated.

"I think when I first heard the news that she had been located there was certainly an element of joy right there and I guess it's like those five stages of grief that you move through and I'm really angry now, I'm very very angry because it's senseless, it wasn't necessary for such a work of art that stands for so much to be destroyed in this manner and to be taken to a recycling plant is beyond devastating."

Russ Tallchief, Majorie Tallchief's nephew, had his own thoughts.

"Not just my family but I think the Osage people and the ballet community, the native community at large all felt very violated by this, because we feel like Marjorie and her sister Maria of course represent such a beautiful contribution to the world through ballet."

Russ also unveiled the statue in 2007.

>>>MORE: World renowned Native American ballerina, Marjorie Tallchief, dies at 95

Tulsa police are investigating and are following up on leads.

Russ Tallchief said he'd like to see the person who took the statue caught.

"We want to see whoever took it be brought to justice and we'd like to see the statue reinstated, if we can't do that then I hope that we can find a way to maybe replace it somehow."

The museum said they hope the missing parts can be found so the statue can be restored.

Michelle Place said the museum would like to restore the statue to where it belongs.

"What next? And the real answer is we don't know, we're still somewhat in shock of this but we don't have all the information to what all our possibilities can be. We hope that the missing parts are located certainly sooner than rather and then we'll immediately go to sculptors and also to foundries to see what can be done ... The original molds that were at a foundry were destroyed in fire, so its not like we can just go have another poured."

The museum said it has cameras watching the artwork.

A GoFundMe has also been set up to help with the restoration of the statue.

The link is also on the Tulsa Historical Society and History Museum website under "Donate" or you can search the GoFundMe site for "Tulsa Historical Society".

ExpandAutoplayImage 1 of 86FQOS4MR2VERFB6SQ2EXTTWM6I.jpg PWWOVJ4J6VA3JDOXJTO6WUTU4A.jpg K6IP56XHSZEPHJQ5JB5C2GVDBY.jpg JXPYHD5XA5HTHORAPNFRFE5YJE.jpg I3ZMSMPDTRCV7HJ3JXHCXJAPG4.jpg WFH5DIWB2FHPXOD6LHBMVBQYUA.png K7742X4OONHPNDK5F44ZPEWCSA.jpg H7FVPMRMWZE3RPFMX3DNNHS5ZE.jpg

Tallchief Statue Shattered

©2022 Cox Media Group

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Abominable!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

Some think that defacing art is some sort of protest but it is just cowardly vandalism.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

How sad, Maria Tallchief was Americans first Prima Ballerina and part of the five moons of Ballet.

Maria Tallchief dancing in Paris, 1947.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @4    2 years ago

I knew about Maria Tallchief, but I wasn't aware of Marjorie Tallchief, who was her sister.  The bastard who destroyed Marjorie's statue should suffer a like fate, and have a lot of his/her bones broken.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    2 years ago

The statue was repaired by a Native artist...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    2 years ago

Here are all five of the ''Five Moons'' they all were famous and contributed to the art form in many ways. 

November is National American Indian Heritage Month and we want to take a moment to honor the many ballet dancers of American Indian Heritage who have contributed to our art form. The most well-known are the “Five Moons” ballerinas from Oklahoma who each made a tremendous impact in shaping ballet in America during the 20th century, including Rosella Hightower of Choctaw heritage, Moscelyne Larkin, a member of the Shawnee-Peoria tribe, Yvonne Chouteau of Shawnee and Cherokee heritage, and sisters Marjorie and Maria Tallchief, members of the Osage Nation.

More information on Majorie Tallchief.