╌>

Elon Musk Is a Far-Right Activist

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  2 years ago  •  131 comments

By:   Charlie Warzel - The Atlantic

Elon Musk Is a Far-Right Activist
One tweet says it all.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

If there’s one tweet that will tell you everything you need to know about Elon Musk, it’s this one from early this morning:

In five words, Musk manages to mock transgender and nonbinary people, signal his disdain for public-health officials, and send up a flare to far-right shitposters and trolls. The tweet is a cruel and senseless play on pronouns that also invokes the right’s fury toward Anthony Fauci, the chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden, for what they believe is a government overreach in public-health policy throughout the pandemic and an obfuscation of the coronavirus’s origins. (Fauci, for his part,  has said  he would cooperate with any possible investigations and has nothing to hide.)

Beyond its stark cruelty, this tweet is incredibly thirsty. As right-wing troll memes go, it is Dad-level, 4chan–Clark Griswold stuff, which is to say it’s desperate engagement bait in the hopes of attracting kudos from the only influencers who give Musk the time of day anymore: right-wing shock jocks. But that is the proper company for the billionaire, because whether or not he wants to admit it, Musk is actively aiding the far right’s political project. He is a right-wing activist.

Currently, Musk’s politics are a subject of debate in the press. On Saturday,   The New York Times ’ Jeremy W. Peters   attempted   to offer a nuanced portrait of the Twitter owner’s ideologies, arguing that Musk “continues to defy easy political categorization.” But Peters’ laundry list of Musk’s recent lib-trolling and “woke” scolding—such as Musk’s November   recommendation   to his millions of followers to vote Republican—undermines the very thesis of the article. The nuance Peters is looking for does not exist: Musk’s actions and associations make a clear case that he is a right-wing reactionary.

Musk, for his part, has  maintained  that he is a centrist, that his politics have remained unchanged, and that it is the Democratic Party that has veered dramatically leftward. (Musk and Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.) Musk’s logic—that wayward leftism has given a lifelong moderate liberal no choice but to support right-wing causes—is a common trope among far-right activists. It has been employed by many in the so-called  Intellectual Dark Web  and influencers such as Dave Rubin, Joe Rogan, Glenn Greenwald, and others. The argument stretches far back in American politics. The neoconservative movement in the United States was originated by liberals who grew disillusioned with the Democratic Party, especially in relation to the left’s Vietnam protests.

Beyond Musk’s political affiliations, his actual political convictions—by which I mean the bedrock set of values, ideologies, and organizing principles through which he sees the world and wishes it to be structured—are a slightly different conversation. Here, I tend to agree with   The Verge ’s Liz Lopatto, who wrote   recently   that Musk doesn’t really have political beliefs, only personal interests. But one can have vapid or nonexistent political beliefs and still be a political activist. Political activism is about actions. Here’s what those actions look like in practice:

Publicly, Musk appears deeply committed to the right’s culture war against progressivism in most forms. His purchase of Twitter was an explicitly political act couched in the notion of preserving free speech. But Musk’s notion of free speech is a broad course correction that involves amplifying and advancing the interests of right-wing reactionaries while trolling the left. Musk might argue that this is restoring balance to the system, but if we are judging based only on actions and outcomes, it is very hard to see his tenure at Twitter as anything other than a series of policies intended to benefit a particular ideology.

Musk also simply loves palling around with far-right influencers on Twitter. A scroll through his Twitter replies is a rather remarkable document of a man who has (or at   least had ) more money than any other human being in the history of humanity, a fair amount of power, and an endless supply of options for how to spend his time, and who chooses to spend his time as a   reply guy   for prominent MAGA voices, such as a user who goes by the handle @catturd2 and Turning Points USA’s   Charlie Kirk .

In a similar fashion, Musk’s “Twitter Files” project, for which he has been releasing Twitter’s old internal documents concerning controversial content-moderation decisions to independent journalists, is an attention spectacle dressed up in the style of investigative journalism designed to delight Musk’s Twitter friends. As I  wrote  on Friday, some of the internal conversations and screenshots from Musk’s company are fascinating documents that shed light on the intractable problem of content moderation at scale. But they are presented in a blatantly partisan and misleading manner, and have been released only to journalists who share Musk’s pet ideological issues: that the mainstream media is ethically bankrupt, that social media and most elite institutions are biased and colluding with the government.

The hypocrisy at the center of Musk’s Twitter tenure is crucial to the understanding of Musk’s political activism. He has championed ideals of free-speech maximalism and amnesty to those who’ve offended his rules. Twitter, under his management, has let back on organizers of the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia;  neo-Nazis such as Andrew Anglin ; and January 6–investigation personalities such as Roger Stone. At the same time, Twitter has suspended accounts that have mocked Musk or expressed left-leaning views. Whether intentionally or not, Musk has, in effect, been governing Twitter using the classic Frank Wilhoit  maxim : “Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Put differently, the billionaire has been advancing a long-running right-wing political project  described recently   by my colleague Adam Serwer as a “belief in a new constitutional right. Most important, this new right supersedes the free-speech rights of everyone else: the conservative right to post.”

Why is Musk doing all of this? The answer is reasonably simple. Musk’s far-right activism clearly seems to be, like all else in his life, personally motivated, not by a strong political ideology or value system but, as Lopatto argues, by the accumulation of money and “being perceived as a visionary who will reshape human society.” Musk is interested in preserving the political values and systems that keep him on top as a revered member of culture. It’s a philosophy that the writer John Ganz has   described   as “bossism” or “bosses on top.” For Musk, right-wing activism serves that role. Musk’s tweets—like his dismissive tweet this morning, or his   concerning   insinuations   that, perhaps, his former trust-and-safety employees did not stop child-exploitation posts for motivated reasons—are cruel for the shallowest reasons: because they are likely to draw engagement to the platform that Musk has   plunged into financial uncertainty , due to both his piling on of debt and his alienation of advertisers.

But even as a far-right shitposter, Musk is hapless. Unlike somebody such as Donald Trump, who remains the Twitter troll template, Musk is a try-hard. And although the Twitter shock jocks will happily lap him up because he triggers the libs and serves their purposes, Musk is still seen as a dilettante by the inveterate shitposters and bigots. Over on 4chan, the far-right message board, Musk’s Fauci tweet barely merited discussion. “Elon is just being controversial to drive traffic to his website,” one poster mused. Even in his thirsty attempts to be an edgelord, Musk is failing to be anything other than cringey.

Charlie Warzel  is a staff writer at  The Atlantic  and the author of its newsletter  Galaxy Brain , about technology, media, and big ideas.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 years ago

Cute ... the wingnuts have their very own Soros to fill the bucket and round out the bouquet. All to the 'good' as I'll soon be able to shorten all of my comments to a simple yet erudite "Fuck You!"

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

Simple. Elegant. To the point.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

The simple minded like Musk because he owns the libs. 

There is much more to it than that. Musk sees himself as a historical figure destined to lead the world. 

He is not a Gandhi, a Churchill, or a Lincoln. He is a troll. 

The richest man in the world doesnt have anything better to do than look like an idiot on twitter?  Thats surprising. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago

Did they put themselves up for sale?

WTF does he DO with them?

Anything useful?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    2 years ago

whats the frequency kenneth? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.2    2 years ago
whats the frequency kenneth? 

Seems like the simple minded got owned by Musk, according to you!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago

The simple minded are obsessed with their 'free speech' and supposed 'religious freedom' aka legalized discrimination against those they label "sinners", along with their right to own an arsenal of firearms and military style assault rifles, not for home protection but for an ideological uprising if the country doesn't give them what they want which they believe is inevitable. They worship the 2nd amendment because they desperately need their arsenal to supposedly 'protect' themselves from the 'evil' liberals, progressives, Muslims, Jews, lgtbq community, minorities and undocumented immigrants who they see as 'lurking around every corner' in 'their' country. And they need the 1st amendment to protect their right to call for the discrimination, persecution and potential prosecution of those 'evil' liberals, progressives, Muslims, Jews, lgtbq community, minorities and undocumented immigrants who continue to refuse to kneel down to the white conservative Christian base.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.4    2 years ago

Well said complex minded.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.5    2 years ago
Well said complex minded

Well spotted.  What a complex mind it must be to handle 25 incoherent thoughts simultaneously.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

That's about what we expect of you. Who cares what Musk does or says?

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    2 years ago
Who cares what Musk does or says?

From his tweet with over 1 million 'likes'? Take a guess ... you do know how to guess, right? 

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.2  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    2 years ago
Who cares what Musk does or says?

How convenient, I wonder if the lack of interest comes because of Musk's MAGA/conservative spirit? Now if/when Musk's spirit turns measurably to the Liberal/Left I am pretty sure some conservatives will utter 'karen sounds'!

As far as Twitter goes, liberals have the freedom and liberty to come and go, to support it or not support it appropriately. . . .

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.3.2    2 years ago
Now if/when Musk's spirit turns measurably to the Liberal/Left I am pretty sure some conservatives will utter 'karen sounds'!

Wasn't his “spirit” there originally?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.3.2    2 years ago
I wonder if the lack of interest comes because of Musk's MAGA/conservative spirit?

Liberals seem quite interested in whatever Musk says. They seem to hang on his every word since he bought Twitter.  My, my how time has changed liberal opinion on Musk since he bought the company.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.5  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.3    2 years ago

?

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.6  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.4    2 years ago

Is it the buying of the company that is causing some liberals' interest in Twitter to soften, or is it Elon's attempt at implicating liberals don't (really) have a home on the service once the rif-raff arrives to funk up the network and the enterprise becomes an internet 'dive' of underworld social media activity and unremarkableness. BTW, in which case, let YE back on the service. If Elon is going to take the time to manage and corral a 'stable' of potty-mouths, trust me, Ye, from the place he is coming from can put ASSES in seats too!

Just wait for the trust of the site to dip. Legitimate professionals won't trust themselves and their credentials to safely (that being the operative word) mingle with crusty, underhanded, seedy, domestic and international, types and profiles. Welcome to Twitter's underbelly!

Elon Musk will be a laughingstock and then what nation will touch his brand to be out of this world? Another billionaire player roaming around with waxed wings heading too close to the sun!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.3.5    2 years ago

Exactly.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.3.6    2 years ago
Is it the buying of the company that is causing some liberals' interest in Twitter to soften, or is it Elon's attempt at implicating liberals don't (really) have a home on the service once the rif-raff arrives to funk up the network and the enterprise becomes an internet 'dive' of underworld activity and unremarkableness

Looks and sounds much more like liberals are turning against Twitter because they seem to have lost their little safe place to say whatever crap pops into their heads without any repercussions or push back.

Can't be having the snowflakes getting all upset now, can we?

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.9  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.7    2 years ago

No, don't pivot away. Explain how much Elon Musk is influencing MAGA/some conservatives now in ways he could not before. BTW, you signing up for Twitter. . . sooner or later, Drinker'?

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.10  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.8    2 years ago

Well, all I can say is y'all are on NT and we're not getting owned, but Que sera sera! Twitter is a heavy investment and it got sold because it catered to one side and not all sides. . . looks like it may invert itself. We will see if Elon enjoys his investment after the newness wears off and the 'grind' begins. Or worse, government has not choice but to shut it down partially or in whole because its only direction to grow is horizontal!

Que Sera Sera!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.3.9    2 years ago
Explain how much Elon Musk is influencing MAGA/some conservatives now in ways he could not before.

You've got me, I can't explain how he is influencing conservatives now any more that I can explain how he influenced liberals previously, as I am neither.

BTW, you signing up for Twitter. . .

I've had a Twitter account for 3-4 years but never used it.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.12  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.11    2 years ago

Sounds pretty convincingly like the proverbial 'empty suit' and placeholder to be filled by any thing or something more specific.  That you?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.3.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.3.12    2 years ago

Again, you leave me clueless as to your meaning.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.14  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.3.10    2 years ago
Well, all I can say is y'all are on NT and we're not getting owned,

What are you trying to convey here?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.15  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.13    2 years ago
Again, you leave me clueless as to your meaning.

The overuse of words and the cryptic messaging throws me off, too. When posts go ALL over the place, it is sometimes difficult to decipher what was intended.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.16  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.4    2 years ago
Liberals seem quite interested in whatever Musk says. They seem to hang on his every word since he bought Twitter.  My, my how time has changed liberal opinion on Musk since he bought the company.

They certainly do! What I find amusing is that left wing media call him far-right and don't know that he voted for Obama, Hillary, and Biden. Perhaps their hatred centers on the fact that he respects the First Amendment and they don't. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.16    2 years ago

So Elon tells you who he votes for? I bet you feel pretty special

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.18  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.17    2 years ago
So Elon tells you who he votes for? I bet you feel pretty special

What a silly, jejune comment! Reading all sides of media leads to knowledge, so try this ...

Billionaire Elon Musk confirmed his official political stance on Wednesday morning, revealing he made the plunge into his first-ever vote for a Republican candidate “I voted for Mayra Flores – first time I ever voted Republican .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.18    2 years ago

Gawd you're insufferable. That doesn't say that he voted for Obama, Hillary, and Biden. Just says he voted republican for the first time.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.20  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.19    2 years ago
Gawd you're insufferable.

Well, that's not a very nice comment.

That doesn't say that he voted for Obama, Hillary, and Biden. Just says he voted republican for the first time.

Sigh, the info is on the Internet, Trout. Even on a left-wing site.

Last month, Musk said he   planned to vote Republican   in the next presidential election, but the billionaire said he's voted "overwhelmingly" for Democrats in the past.

In fact, Musk  worked closely  with the Obama Administration in SpaceX's early years and has said he  voted for Hilary Clinton , as well as Biden in the past two US presidential elections.

Shortly after Biden was inaugurated, Musk   told Fortune   he was excited for the new president to take office and that he planned to work closely with the Biden Administration on efforts to address climate change.

Basta.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.20    2 years ago

I'm not a nice person and not afraid to admit it. Being honest with oneself is one of the paths to happiness

If you make a claim don't expect other people to go looking for the proof. That's a bad debate tactic. But I give you credit for doing the legwork and proving your claim. You got one right this time

"Basta" = stop it

Use English when you want to tell someone to fuck off. You end up looking pretentious using words that you have a dubious understanding of

And be sure to flag this comment and the one where I call you insufferable. I want to beat dev this month

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.22  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.21    2 years ago

I won't be the one who flags your comments, because I found them humorous!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.22    2 years ago

[deletedYou] don't find anything about me humorous merely annoying

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.24  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.15    2 years ago

"Bah humbug!"                  ?u=https%3A%2F%2Flibrary.kissclipart.com%2F20190912%2Few%2Fkissclipart-christmas-ornament-aabd1f9efa6f8295.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a7b9d46c4dc76d178beeb63599c94c84cfa7c77d44b12d9e333331a5a3891a86&ipo=images

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.25  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.3.24    2 years ago

The meme makes more sense than some of your posts do, so thank you for that at least.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.26  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.20    2 years ago

Well, some of us know that it is nice to be important but that it is more important to be nice

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.27  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.20    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    2 years ago

Sure is going to be fun watching liberals hanging on Musk's every utterance.

The poutrage is almost palpable and funny as hell!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2    2 years ago

They did that with somebody else (all the while denying it) and it kept them in freak out mode for 6 years now.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    2 years ago
They did that with somebody else (all the while denying it) and it kept them in freak out mode for 6 years now.

Actually, I am a little surprised that they can devote so much time and energy to both!

I didn't really think they could handle TWO things!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    2 years ago
I didn't really think they could handle TWO things!

I still don't think they can.  

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2    2 years ago

It's already fun watching the other side hanging on to his missives. Elon is the new "more legs than you" 'Animal Farm' Napoleon.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.2    2 years ago

And yet, look at who seeded the article!

Not someone on the right all hung up on Musk, but someone the exact opposite!

Just hard to believe you have time to worry about Musk when Trump still lives!

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    2 years ago
And yet, look at who seeded the article!

Soros paid me to ... /S

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.2.2    2 years ago
Soros paid me to ..

I wouldn't in the least be surprised.

No /s

George
Junior Expert
3  George    2 years ago

I find it amazing that liberals are so afraid that their message can’t stand up to free speech.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  George @3    2 years ago
I find it amazing that liberals are so afraid that their message can’t stand up to free speech.

A certain Florida governor has already shown what right wingers believe about free speech.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1    2 years ago

Deflection fail.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1    2 years ago
A certain Florida governor has already shown what right wingers believe about free speech.

Oh, God, PLEASE tell us you don't believe that a Governor restricted free speech!

I know it is hard, what with the media feeding you lies like "Don't Say Gay", etc.

A little research on your own will do wonders!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  George @3.1.1    2 years ago

Deflection fail.

Can't handle the comparison between the right and the left, huh?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    2 years ago

1oy8ml.jpg

George
Junior Expert
3.1.5  George  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.3    2 years ago

I can handle comparisons, I just don’t need to point and yell squirrel when I have nothing. Which republican squirrel are you whining about?

George
Junior Expert
3.1.6  George  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.4    2 years ago

So you can’t handle someone asking you to back up your deflection?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  George @3.1.6    2 years ago

Nah. Some expect us to swallow their swill like they suck up the left-wing Pablum.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.7    2 years ago

You are the one deflecting, as usual gorge

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.8    2 years ago
You are the one deflecting, as usual gorge

What am I deflecting FROM, Tessylo?

And who or what does 'gorge' have to do with it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    2 years ago

that is all you both do

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.10    2 years ago
that is all you both do

If you have something to say to him, why not SAY it to him?

I do take note I asked you what I deflected from and you produced nothing.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2  Jack_TX  replied to  George @3    2 years ago

The word "amazing" indicates an element of surprise.  What about this surprises you, exactly?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Oh boo hoo.  Somebody made a statement that goes against what others THINK.  Time to set our hair on fire and run around in circles.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    2 years ago
Somebody made a statement that goes against what others THINK.

Soros does a lot of that and is continuously condemned by the neo-righteous. Glass houses and all that sort of stuff.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @4.1    2 years ago

Let us know when Musk starts giving millions to Republicans and far right radical groups.

We have all seen the havoc Soros backed prosecutors have caused.

Till then Musk is just someone tweaking perpetually outraged leftists for his own amusement.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hallux @4.1    2 years ago

When we see Musk conducting the same activity as Soros we'll talk.  Until then you are just freaking out over somebody exercising their 1st Amendment right.  Something that, until Musk's acquisition of Twitter, would have never been permitted.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.1    2 years ago
We have all seen the havoc Soros backed prosecutors have caused

Ditto for the "havoc" caused by Leonard Leo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/investigations/leonard-leo-federalists-society-courts/?utm_term=.1d2008ed2d75

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.1    2 years ago
because he triggers the libs

Why are they so easily triggered?

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.2    2 years ago
you are just freaking out over

If you define laughing at as "freaking out"  ...

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.1    2 years ago
Let us know when Musk starts giving millions to Republicans and far right radical groups.

Looks like he's given them a $40 billion soapbox.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.1.6    2 years ago
Looks like he's given them a $40 billion soapbox.

More like leveled the playing field.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.8  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.7    2 years ago
More like leveled the playing field.

Don't whine, it's not attractive.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.9  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    2 years ago
Why are they so easily triggered?

Note that the majority of comments are by those on the right ... the 'they' is you.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hallux @4.1.5    2 years ago

If you were "laughing" about it, this seed wouldn't exist.  I'll give you credit for trying to spin it.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4.1.11  afrayedknot  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.1    2 years ago

“Let us know when Musk starts giving millions to Republicans and far right radical groups.”

Aside from allowing a platform to spew unequivocal, unedited hate? Priceless?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.12  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @4.1.8    2 years ago

"More like leveled the playing field"

It's the truth, and apparently you are having fits of rage about it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.13  Greg Jones  replied to  afrayedknot @4.1.11    2 years ago

What hate....besides yours?

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.14  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.10    2 years ago
If you were "laughing" about it, this seed wouldn't exist.

Utter nonsense ... however, keep up the 'good' work. In the meantime, I'm still laughing at the third to last paragraph and how it twins your comments.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4.1.15  afrayedknot  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.13    2 years ago

“What hate....besides yours?”

…mirror, mirror…

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.16  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @4.1.3    2 years ago

Right, because getting Conservative judges in place is the same as getting liberal morons that won't press charges against minority criminals.

Oh agony he helped raised $250 million from donors for conservative groups. What, he just didn't give $250 million himself? Wait, he is not a multi billionaire? His net worth is only 5 million? Damn, so he can't fund whole movements by himself? 

Now who would be a comparable lefty? The Clintons or Obamas, come easily to mind. Won't use their own money; but will raise millions in dark money for their own and other Democrat PAC's and super PAC's.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.17  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @4.1.6    2 years ago

When he starts ghost banning and banning leftists on twitter let us know.

In case you missed Musk's information dumps- before he bought Twitter they were beholden to Democrats completely.

Democrats have no problem with free speech; so long as it doesn't conflict with their agenda and beliefs. When it does it must be censored at all costs!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.17    2 years ago
hen he starts ghost banning and banning leftists on twitter let us know.

Yep. Not a single left wing voice has been silenced. They are just mad they've lost the power to silence critics. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.19  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.16    2 years ago

Getting 'radical' conservative judges into SCOTUS cost a 'red wave'.

Moving on ... top donors:

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.1.8    2 years ago
Don't whine, it's not attractive.

That is what I say to the folks so upset that Musk bought Twitter!

Poor things might see something upsetting!

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.21  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.20    2 years ago

I'm not upset, just a tad surprised at how many are buying into his 'free speech' snakeoil. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.1.9    2 years ago
Note that the majority of comments are by those on the right ... the 'they' is you.

It would behoove you to actually read and understand the comments.

That way, you wouldn't make embarrassing comments like that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @4.1.11    2 years ago
Aside from allowing a platform to spew unequivocal, unedited hate?

Imagining things again?

Didn't musk just ban Kanye West a couple of weeks ago?

You remember, don't you--for posting some Nazi shit, which would certainly qualify as unequivocal hate. Ooops!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @4.1.8    2 years ago

That is all some have, incessantly

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

If he reads this, there will be no more dinners with his friend, Obama at Spruce in San Francisco or anywhere else.

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5    2 years ago

Maybe those dinners will happen again if Elon learns how to jump.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    2 years ago

original

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @6    2 years ago

that's clever!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.2  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @6    2 years ago

Yes, Twitter that bastion of free leftist hate speech that banned anyone that had the temerity to question Democrat dogma.

Whatever will the left do now that one of their 3 platforms that silenced anyone on the right is now for free speech?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @6.2    2 years ago
Whatever will the left do now that one of their 3 platforms that silenced anyone on the right is now for free speech?

Now they will spend countless hours bitching about how Twitter has changed and is no longer the darling of liberals. 

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
6.2.2  dennissmith  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.1    2 years ago

As evidenced by some of the comments on this thread they are doing just that.

George
Junior Expert
7  George    2 years ago

But even as a far-right shitposter, Musk is hapless. Unlike somebody such as Donald Trump, who remains the Twitter troll template, Musk is a try-hard.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA.......The writer of this article has contributed nothing to society, and Musk is a try harder? The inferior always try to tear down those superior to them in every way. And Musk is superior in every way to this writer.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  JBB  replied to  George @7    2 years ago

Then is the author better than you in every way?

George
Junior Expert
7.1.1  George  replied to  JBB @7.1    2 years ago

No, any other stupid questions?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8  Gsquared    2 years ago

Musk posts an idiotic comment, gets criticized for it, and the easily triggered reactionaries rush to his defense.  Not only do the reactionaries defend idiocy, they think only those who agree with them have the right to express an opinion.  Not a surprise.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1  Ronin2  replied to  Gsquared @8    2 years ago

So they are acting the exactly the same as as leftists?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

We've learned that twitter's former management censored and banned users based on political viewpoint, suppressed news stories for partisan reasons and whose head of "Trust and Safety" was an advocate of having minors participate on sex sites like Grindr  (which explains Twitters indifference to child porn) and progressives are mad because Musk criticizes Fauci. 

Laughable. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

Elon has gone from a nerd icon, on the cover of Rolling Stone, Time, Vanity Fair and having dinner with President Obama to someone that has inflamed liberals to white hot hatred.  He should never have hosted SNL, that pushed them over the edge.

Hallux
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10    2 years ago
inflamed liberals to white hot hatred.

On this liberal/libertarian/monarchist side merely to a lukewarm disdain. I'm not a fan of his Dorian Grey-ness.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @10.1    2 years ago
I'm not a fan of his Dorian Grey-ness.

I didn't know that Elon was into hedonism.  

Hallux
Professor Principal
10.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.1    2 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @10.1.2    2 years ago

that is truly how guys like that see themselves (some god like image)

Gsquared
Professor Principal
11  Gsquared    2 years ago

Musk welcomed neo-Nazis back onto Twitter.  So, of course, reactionary cultists and reich-wingers are now effusive in their support and very protective of him.  Witness the number of comments on here expressing frothing at the mouth outrage that anyone would dare criticize Musk.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Musk really got the neo Stalinists worked up. All this hate because they can’t handle a forum that doesn’t push their lies and suppresses reality.

George
Junior Expert
12.1  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @12    2 years ago

It’s as if they know their bullshit won’t stand up to scrutiny. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @12    2 years ago
All this hate because they can’t handle a forum that doesn’t push their lies and suppresses reality.

And that is ALL it is.

Musk was a liberal darling until he bought Twitter and decided to make it more fair. How DARE Musk let opinions other than coming from left-wing lunatics be heard? Hasn't he heard of 'safe places'?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2    2 years ago

Make it more fair how?

Nonsense

He's banning those who mock him

thin skinned hypocrite like most of the republicans/gqp

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @12.2.1    2 years ago
Make it more fair how?

By allowing opinions coming from other than left-wingers. That is how.

Nonsense

Yes, you are right, some of the stuff which happened at Twitter before Musk bought it was total nonsense.

He's banning those who mock him

Did Kanye West mock Musk?

thin skinned hypocrite like most of the republicans/gqp

And yet, despite your dubious claim, there is a shitload of butt-hurt left-wingers crying about Twitter almost daily now. 

LMMFAO!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2.2    2 years ago

FUCK OFF

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @12.2.3    2 years ago

YOU AND MUSK

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @12.2.3    2 years ago
FUCK OFF

Personally, I prefer fucking ON a bed.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @12.2.4    2 years ago
YOU AND MUSK

What are you telling yourself?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2.5    2 years ago

bet you would love a partner for once

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @12.2.7    2 years ago
bet you would love a partner for once

Not if you were my option!

charger 383
Professor Silent
12.2.9  charger 383  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2.5    2 years ago

If F---Off is approved for use,  then this one stays too

(  explanation only, not directed at Texan )

Gsquared
Professor Principal
13  Gsquared    2 years ago

Musk really got the neo-Fascists worked up.   Now that he's welcoming neo-Nazis back on Twitter, they have another place where they can lie, spread their disinformation and spew their hatred and rage  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
13.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @13    2 years ago
Musk really got the neo-Fascists worked up.

Exactly, just like here, they are all a twitter.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.1    2 years ago

Yep.  The neo-Fascists, the Neo-Nazis, the white supremacists are all a twitter and their hearts are all a flutter.  They LOVE Elon.

CB
Professor Principal
14  CB    2 years ago
My pronouns are Prosecute/Fauci  - Elon Musk
Elon just threw down a gaunlet. And more to the point, he knows he is 'signifying.'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @14    2 years ago
And more to the point, he knows he is 'signifying.'

WHAT is he 'signifying'?

What does that even mean?

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.1  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @14.1    2 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @14.1.1    2 years ago

I agree, it is funny how you put it!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
15  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
Elon just threw down a gaunlet. And more to the point, he knows he is 'signifying.'

What does that mean?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @15    2 years ago
What does that mean?

Really, who in the fuck knows?

The cryptic messaging needs to stop and be replaced with valid points written in plain English.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
16  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

“Far Right wing “ just means  heretic at this point.  Musk is not, in any conventional sense, a right winger.  Just like the Washington post labeling journalists Matt taibbi  and bari Weiss “conservative” for exposing the misdeeds at Twitter.  It’s just signaling to leftists that they are dealing with an apostate who won’t mindlessly parrot the approved narrative and should be shunned, no matter how genuine their liberal Bonafides were prior to their transgression.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
17  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

So does that make Elon MAGA, MAGA LITE, ULTRA MAGA, SUPER DUPER MAGA or NEW AND IMPROVED ULTRA MAGA?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
18  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

A new record.  5 words, at least a million heads explode.  Good work Elon.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
18.1  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @18    2 years ago
A new record.  5 words, at least a million heads explode.  Good work Elon.

Funny, isn't it?

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
19  independent Liberal    2 years ago

Elon Musk is actually far from being a far right activist. He is a very progressive man that has become disenfranchised with some of the science lacking social movements we've seen the last few years. I find it surprising that so many of my peers feel compelled to speak poorly of him without knowing the man. We are after talking about a visionary who is the only person on the planet capable of formulating a science based plan for travel to Mars. He holds some of the most classified contracts with our pentagon. His navigation technology is 15 years ahead of anyone else.

The man actually has a carbon neutral plan to generate enough electricity to power the United States of America that would actually work. His issue with Democrats is the same reason I am having a hard time with Democrats. They aren't progressive anymore and frankly some of their key issues aren't science backed or even remotely reasonable.

I understand, we need intellectual liberals instead of these populist half wits who prey on bizarre and unimpactful mentally deranged special interest aliens.

CB
Professor Principal
19.1  CB  replied to  independent Liberal @19    2 years ago

Who the "h" are you and why do you wander in here and think your brand of insult will be accepted and suffered? Your 'second' impression is more awful than your first!

The issue for Elon Musk is what 'hue' he casts at any given moment of his political life. Donald Trump and MAGA are engaged in trying to spread hatred, division, and chaos through all the systems of this country and Musk has decided to thrust his Twitter input down on the side of MAGA and of course, he and his enterprise will have their collective 'butts" called up and out for 'examination.' Musk even instigated and called down 'fire' on a famous doctor (Fauci) for what? What the "h" has Dr. Fauci ever done to deprive Elon Musk of anything?

I don't know. Maybe Elon Musk should qualify his tweet against Dr. Fauci or accept that he just 'entered' a 'hotbed' of red-shot topics and no one will defer to him just because of his past successes. That is, if he just runs his business or better yet stop tweeting up 'stupid' he can maintain the respect of both sides and not enter this ongoing fray!

I am a fan of Elon Musk's successes, but I am not a fan of anybody's bull patty for bull patty sake!

Let me even clearer, no liberal on NT should/will kiss Elon Musk's ass, simply because he is Elon. Stupid is stupid no matter who speaks or writes it.