╌>

Dick Van Dyke, 97, smashed into a gate in Malibu after his Lexus skidded in the rain | Daily Mail Online

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  john-russell  •  last year  •  16 comments

By:   Rachael Bunyan (Mail Online)

Dick Van Dyke, 97, smashed into a gate in Malibu after his Lexus skidded in the rain | Daily Mail Online
Dick Van Dyke, 97, lost control of the car before slamming into the gate in Malibu, leaving the actor with a bloody nose and possible concussion.

68977111-11889217-image-a-21_1679474994389.jpg

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Dick Van Dyke has smashed his car into a gate in Malibu, California, after his Lexus skidded in the rain.

Van Dyke, 97, lost control of the car before slamming into the gate, leaving the actor with a bloody nose and possible concussion.

The accident occurred on Wednesday morning in Malibu and police officers arrived at the scene to find Van Dyke behind the wheel of his Lexus LS 500, reports TMZ.

The Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang star told the cops his car had skidded in the rain and he lost control of the steering before the Lexus smashed into the gate.

The crash came nearly ten years after Dick was involved in another car crash which saw him rescued from his burning Jaguar in Los Angeles.

Dick Van Dyke (pictured in LA on June 16, 2022) has smashed his car into a gate in Malibu after his Lexus skidded in the rain

Dick, 97, (pictured on February 22, 2022, in LA) lost control of the car before slamming into the gate, leaving the actor with a bloody nose and possible concussion

The crash came nearly ten years after Dick was involved in another car crash which saw him rescued from his burning Jaguar in Los Angeles, pictured above

In his latest crash, Van Dyke was treated at the scene by paramedics as he was suffering from a bloody nose and mouth as well as a possible concussion. He was not sent to hospital and was picked up by a friend and driven home.

Sources told TMZ that drugs and alcohol were not involved in the crash, but police officers have requested a driving retest for Van Dyke due to his age.

The crash came ten years after Van Dyke was pulled from his Jaguar after it caught fire on the 101 freeway in Calabasas are of LA, on August 19, 2013.

A man named Jason Pennington saved the day after spotting the car full of smoke on the side of the road.

Mr Pennington told TMZ at the time that he saw an elderly man hunched over the wheel of the vehicle and rushed to the scene.

He pulled up and saw the actor struggling inside after running over to the smoking car.

Van Dyke did not require medical attention after the incident, although he was apparently slightly disoriented.

Wednesday's crash came just weeks after the actor credited his wife, 51-year-old make-up artist Arlene Silver, as the key to his youthfulness.

Dick married Silver in 2012 - who is nearly half his age - and previously revealed the couple keep fit by singing and dancing together.

His stamina was showcased during his recent stint on The Masked Singer US, where he delighted audiences with his performance as the Gnome.

Dick appeared on The Masked Singer US in February, where he delighted audiences with his performance as the Gnome

Van Dyke has been married to former make-up artist Arlene Silver since 2012. She is 46 years his junior

Speaking about the key to his energy, Van Dyke told Yahoo: 'Genes, I guess, for one thing. Having a beautiful young wife half my age to take care of me - that works!

READ MORE: Dick Van Dyke reveals secrets for staying young and fit

'My positive attitude, I get that from my wife.'

He went on to note: 'And one other thing is, I wrote a book called Keep Moving. I still go to the gym three days a week and work out.

'And I advise everybody to do that, because that's what ages people — it's just a stiffening up and not exercising their muscles and their lungs. Exercise is the answer.'

As talk turned to his work on the mystery singing competition The Masked Singer, he quipped: 'Oh, it was so funny. It was the weirdest experience. They have a great crew there, and they took good care of me, but the minute I got out of the car, they covered my head!

'I never got to meet or see anybody! I'm going to have to go back and meet them in person, because nobody ever saw me and I never saw them. It was weird.'

The legendary entertainer performed a fun rendition of When You're Smiling by Frank Sinatra on the show and left panelist Nicole Scherzinger, 44, in tears when he revealed his identity.

In December the actor turned 97 and jokingly told DailyMail.com: 'Well, if I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!'

Asked what his secret is to a long and healthy life, he laughed and added: 'Well, I don't know, all my friends are dead so I'm not going to complain!'

Van Dyke, whose onscreen career spans seven decades, remains active and lively despite his old age, as he is often seen out and about in his Malibu neighborhood, typically making trips to the drugstore or supermarket on his own. He is frequently spotted behind the wheel of his silver Lexus.

Aside from Mary Poppins, he is also known for his memorable roles in The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-66), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) (pictured) and, most recently, Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

Van Dyke portrayed cockney jack-of-all-trades Bert alongside Julie Andrews in Robert Stevenson's 1964 Disney classic Mary Poppins

In October last year, the beloved actor was seen handing out cash to job seekers and chatting with the homeless in Malibu.

He stopped by his favorite nonprofit organization, Malibu Community Labor Exchange, which helps match employers and those looking for work.

The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang star handed out $5 bills and took the time to chat with several workers and spread joy to homeless people nearby.

'Whenever I have some fives I come by,' Dick said. 'You can't do it all the time, though.'

Van Dyke is a grandfather to seven and has four children with ex-wife Margerie Willet - who he married on the radio show Bride and Groom in 1948 before divorcing 36 years later.

His long-time companion Michelle Triola Marvin passed away in 2009 after they had lived together for 30 years.

Van Dyke is only an Oscar away from elite EGOT status, and served in the US Army during the Second World War.

Aside from Mary Poppins, he is also known for his memorable roles in The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-66), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) and most recently, Mary Poppins Returns (2018).

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    last year

Someone needs to talk him into giving up driving before he kills someone.  No one 97 years old should be driving a car. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1    last year

Absolutely (on both counts).  I'm a little more than 10 years his junior and I wouldn't DARE drive now. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1    last year
No one 97 years old should be driving a car.

Age discrimination?  I would agree that anyone over retirement age should be tested more often for renewing their license.  Biannually?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    last year

IMO, There are very few 97 year olds who are physically or mentally agile enough to be a safe driver. Even if you test them and they pass, their driving skills could deteriorate the next day, week, or month. How often would they have to be tested? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    last year
IMO, There are very few 97 year olds who are physically or mentally agile enough to be a safe driver.

I agree, but I don't believe in punishing the few that can still drive because of the ones that can't.

Even if you test them and they pass, their driving skills could deteriorate the next day, week, or month.

This would be true of anyone regardless of age.  There are many internal and external influences which can effect one's ability to drive.

How often would they have to be tested?

I am sticking with biannually, but again that is just my opinion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.2    last year

I dont necessarily think there should be a law against 97 year olds driving, but I dont think they should be driving, and someone in their lives should convince them of that. They will put other people at risk on the streets. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.3    last year
I dont necessarily think there should be a law against 97 year olds driving, but I dont think they should be driving, and someone in their lives should convince them of that.

We will have to agree to disagree then.  The ability to be mobile, to have the ability to travel when and where you chose to should be a fundamental right.  To have that right taken away from you because of someone else's actions is not acceptable. 

I agree with you that many, if not most, 90+ year old's have lost the ability to safely drive a motor vehicle, but there are many others that are younger that also do not have that ability.  Perhaps the biannual testing should be instated for ALL drivers.

They will put other people at risk on the streets.

2 points...

1 - Bad drivers put other people at risk regardless of age.

2 - This article is about a 93 year old who had 1 accident.  Not 12, not 6, 1 accident.  For any age that is a pretty damned good record.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.4    last year
This article is about a 93 year old who had 1 accident

97 but who's counting right?

"Dick Van Dyke, 97, Smashed Into A Gate In Malibu After His Lexus Skidded In The Rain"

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.4    last year

Actually it was his second accident- he crashed his Jaguar 10 years prior.

The crash came nearly ten years after Dick was involved in another car crash which saw him rescued from his burning Jaguar in Los Angeles, pictured above

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Gsquared  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2.6    last year

It was probably about 10 years ago that I was in an Enterprise Rental Car office and the only other customer was Dick Van Dyke.  Maybe he was there because of that crash.  I don't think the kid working at the counter knew who he was.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.5    last year
97 but who's counting right?

You're right, my bad.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2.6    last year
Actually it was his second accident- he crashed his Jaguar 10 years prior.

Thank you.  I'd looked briefly, but did not see mention of his previous one. 

My comment still stands thought.  2 accidents in 80+ years is still pretty damned good.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    last year
There are very few 97 year olds who are physically or mentally agile enough to be a safe driver.

To even walk is quite a feat.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2  SteevieGee    last year

I'm glad he's OK.  I've always been a fan.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    last year

My initial reaction: Dick Van Dyke is alive???

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Tacos! @3    last year

‘Oohhh, Robbb…”