╌>

Roy McGrath killed by gunfire in confrontation with FBI in Tennessee - The Baltimore Banner

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  last year  •  31 comments

By:   Tim Prudente,Justin Fenton (the-baltimore-banner)

Roy McGrath killed by gunfire in confrontation with FBI in Tennessee - The Baltimore Banner
The ex-chief of staff for former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan had been the focus of a three-week manhunt after failing to show up for his federal fraud trial.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The fugitive former Maryland government official Roy McGrath died of a gunshot wound at a Tennessee hospital Monday night after a confrontation with FBI agents just west of Knoxville, according to federal authorities and the attorney for McGrath's wife.

William C. Brennan Jr., the attorney for McGrath's wife, Laura Bruner, said FBI agents have confirmed that McGrath died at the hospital.

"Laura's absolutely distraught," Brennan said.

Agents encountered McGrath at a commercial intersection just west of Knoxville around 6:30 p.m. and opened fire, according to FBI public affairs officer Shayne Buchwald. It was not immediately clear if FBI agents shot McGrath or he wounded himself, and Buchwald said the incident was under investigation.

"During the arrest, the subject, Roy McGrath, sustained injury and was transported to the hospital," Buchwald said.

"It's an absolute tragedy, the loss of Roy McGrath's life and the unfortunate events that have transpired over the past three weeks," said Joseph Murtha, McGrath's attorney. "Roy McGrath never wavered about his innocence."

The former head of the Maryland Environmental Service and chief of staff to former Gov. Larry Hogan had been missing since March 13 when he failed to show in federal court in Baltimore for his trial on charges of fraud, theft and falsifying records.

In a statement issued by a spokesman Monday night, Hogan said: "Yumi and I are deeply saddened by this tragic situation. We are praying for Mr. McGrath's family and loved ones."

What led authorities to McGrath on Monday evening has not yet been disclosed. Multiple people on Twitter reported seeing a massive police presence involving the FBI at a shopping center in Farragut, Tennessee — more than 800 miles from McGrath's South Florida home.

Jon Housley, 53, was coming out of a Gold's Gym around 6:45 p.m. and saw unmarked police vehicles around a white SUV.

"I thought, uh oh, somebody's pulled over," Housley told The Banner.

Quickly, a large number of additional police vehicles from multiple agencies descended on the scene and police started putting up caution tape. Both side windows of the SUV had been shot out. He said he saw a man being taken out of the SUV and put onto a stretcher, with a sheet pulled up to his neck. He said he could see blood on the ground.

Housley did not witness the shooting, but said that someone who did told him that agents were ordering the man out of the car and to put his hands up, and that the man reached for something and the agents opened fire.

The shooting took place in a commercial area that Housley described as higher-end. "Everybody was like, what is going on, this doesn't happen in Farragut," Housley said.

Federal authorities have said little as the search for McGrath stretched on. When he skipped court last month, FBI agents placed a phone call to Florida and asked sheriff's deputies there to perform a welfare check at his Naples home. Later, agents searched his house, seized his wife's cellphone and circulated wanted posters with photos of the slim, former government official in a suit. After two weeks, they offered $20,000 for information leading to his arrest.

The situation took a puzzling turn last month, when a self-published e-book titled "Betrayed: The True Story of Roy McGrath" went on sale. The unknown author, who gave the name "Ryan C. Cooper," claimed the book was based on McGrath's own manuscript and their interviews from months ago. The book jumped to No. 4 among Amazon's 100 bestsellers in "Political Commentary & Opinion."

A sequel published online Thursday recounted McGrath's time at the Maryland Environmental Service.

There's been much speculation about the author. On a phone call with The Banner, the author described himself as a semi-retired man who moved from Hagerstown to Florida and felt sympathy for McGrath. Subsequent calls to the author were met with a recorded message saying the phone number was unavailable.

In Annapolis, the book captured attention. Political insiders said the scenes rang true — if flattering to McGrath. Attorneys said the book could become evidence at trial.

McGrath resigned as Hogan's chief of staff amid controversy over a payout of more than $233,000 that he negotiated when he transferred to the governor's office from the environmental service. An investigation found McGrath carried out a scheme to enrich himself personally by defrauding the government, according to prosecutors.

The prosecution alleges McGrath used environmental service money to pay a personal pledge to an Eastern Shore art museum; improperly had the environmental service pay for a leadership course at Harvard University; misled environmental service employees to pay him severance; claimed on his timecards that he was working when he was really on vacation; and faked a memo that purported to show Hogan approved of the severance payment.

A federal grand jury indicted McGrath in October 2021. He was also charged in Anne Arundel Circuit Court with misconduct in office, embezzlement and wiretapping. Prosecutors have accused him of recording other government officials — including Hogan — without their consent.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Thomas M. DiGirolamo approved pretrial release for McGrath and set the conditions. He was ordered to surrender his passport and report on a regular basis to the court. McGrath was permitted to travel to Maryland and Florida, or elsewhere if approved by the court, and could not possess a firearm.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    last year

There are many curiosities about this story, imo.  It happened yesterday, yet it’s not even being mentioned on MSNBC.  This was Larry Hogan’s right hand man for a long time, and Hogan is rumored to be considering a run for President.  Two mysterious books have been published about this guy’s situation, and he ends up dead by gunshot at a time when the media is absolutely consumed with the Trump indictment circus.  The FBI is involved in the shooting but articles have been inconclusive about whether it was a result of suicide or justified homicide.  Seems like that should be an easy thing to disclose.  Smells fishy as hell to me.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    last year

Honestly Hal, there is some weird weird shit going on around McGrath but he only worked for Hogan for 11 weeks, that's all.  That's not long at all.  I don't think this has anything whatsoever to do with the former 'president'.  It's weird how these books came out also in the midst of his fleeing.  Fleeing over less than 300,000?  Guys like that end up getting a slap on the wrist.

Though it seems nowadays a criminal record is a requirement for most republicans/gop/gqp.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    last year
I don't think this has anything whatsoever to do with the former 'president'.

That's interesting.  Are you sure?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    last year

What's interesting about it?  WTF are you talking about?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.3  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    last year

Articles about this seem to be all over the place.  I read one yesterday that traced his relationship with Hogan much further back than 11 weeks, and that McGrath was widely known as a strait laced, focused and consummate professional.  Hogan is on record as fully supportive of McGrath’s innocence, but then soured almost overnight.  The only reason I mentioned Trump is that the current Trump circus is leaving no oxygen for other high profile stories, thus making the timing of finding McGrath very suspect.  How had could it really be to find this guy?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.3    last year

Okay, I really knew nothing about McGrath until I heard about him fleeing the charges against him.  I didn't know until now about his shady dealings in Anne Arundel county.  I never really trusted Hogan because he's a republican and I've never trusted them since George dubya.

I see your reasoning now I guess but I don't necessarily see it as suspect.  I guess we'll see, or maybe not.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.5  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.4    last year

The circumstances make it look like maybe he was being permanently silenced.  I haven’t read these books but it might be interesting to see what’s in them.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.4    last year
I never really trusted Hogan because he's a republican and I've never trusted them since George dubya.

Most Marylanders disagree with you including Dems.  After two terms in office, Hogan left with a 77% approval rating statewide (81% among Dems).

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.6    last year

I don't give a fuck.  I'm not most Marylanders.  I didn't vote for Hogan.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.7    last year
I'm not most Marylanders

Obviously.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    last year

Do you think this has something to do with the former 'president'?  I'm confused.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    last year

See 1.1.3.  No Trump connection, just a perfect time to bury this story that should otherwise be high profile.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.2.1    last year

Local political stories somewhat haphazardly become national news. Some do and some dont. I live in Illinois and have never heard of the guy. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.3  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.2    last year

I remember it was somehow news when he went on the lam.  Odd than his lethal capture is somehow not newsworthy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    last year
Hogan is rumored to be considering a run for President.

Hogan said a few weeks ago that he is not going to run for president in the 2024 election. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.3.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    last year

If Trump goes out I’d bet money that Hogan and 30 other spineless republicans go in.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    last year

Housley did not witness the shooting, but said that someone who did told him that agents were ordering the man out of the car and to put his hands up, and that the man reached for something and the agents opened fire.

That is as it should be. Local police should have no issues when forced to do the same.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    last year

This is 100% not the kind of guy who is going to shoot at any type of LE, and there is no doubt that they are aware of that.  Combine that with the fact that they won’t even disclose if a weapon was found in his car.  I can’t believe you’d defend this shooting of a guy who’s on your team.  I’m not defending the guy at all, but the circumstances of this story are alarming.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    last year

So it was a plot?  To what end?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    last year

Who knows.  I’m not saying I know, just saying that nerdy white collar criminals don’t normally get gunned down in their car by the FBI.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    last year

I really like crooked republican stories that have a happy ending.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  devangelical @3    last year

In this case I was more interested in him spilling his guts about corruption in MD government.  Hogan has tremendous bipartisan support in MD but I have my own reasons for seeing him as a shady panderer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1    last year

Do you think Hogan is/was corrupt?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    last year

I have always suspected Hogan is no different than his Republican peers, he’s just better at fooling independents that his intentions are always honorable.  My instincts come from what I see happening in MD from an environmental standpoint, as an outsider looking in.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.2    last year

I feel the same way about just about any republican nowadays.  I hear ya!

Being a Marylander also I think we're much closer to it.

But again, I guess we'll see or we won't.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    last year

He was probably reaching for his driver's license and registration...and moved too quickly.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4    last year

Would you reach for your license and registration when told to put your hands up?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    last year

yup

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @4.1.1    last year

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    last year

don't ask him how he's gonna do when he has his hands in the air