╌>

Facing criticism from DeSantis board, Disney World announces progress on affordable housing complex in Central Florida

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  last year  •  18 comments

By:   Gabrielle Russon (Florida Politics - Campaigns Elections. Lobbying Government.)

Facing criticism from DeSantis board, Disney World announces progress on affordable housing complex in Central Florida
"We've been making more and more progress on this initiative every day, and now, we're thrilled to share that groundbreaking on this development is targeted for next year, with the first units anticipated to be completed in 2026," Disney said about its Central Florida affordable housing development.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Gabrielle RussonApril 19, 20234min2

• Affordable housing
  • Central Florida Tourism Oversight District
  • disney world
  • Orlando theme parks

Related Articles

HeadlinesSouth Florida

Disney is breaking ground next year. The first units will be complete in 2026.

An affordable housing complex on Walt Disney World property will open in 2026, Disney announced Wednesday evening, hours after leaders on the state-run Disney government board criticized the Mousefor its lack of affordable housing for its employees and vowed to look at changing zoning in the special district to build some.

"We've been making more and more progress on this initiative every day, and now, we're thrilled to share that groundbreaking on this development is targeted for next year, with the first units anticipated to be completed in 2026," Disney said on its parks blog Wednesday night. "We are also expanding our vision to now include approximately 1,400 total units - over 100 higher than we had initially announced."

The complex will be located near the Flamingo Crossings Town Center, a shopping center with retail and shopping off S.R. 429 near the theme parks.

In April 2022, Disney announced it was allocating 80 acres of its property for the complex that will be built and operated by the developer The Michaels Organization. Disney has not disclosed rental pricing or income eligibility requirements and promised to provide future updates on how people can apply to live there.

"We are invested in working together with our community to solve complex issues," Walt Disney World Resort President Jeff Vahle said last year. "The lack of affordable housing is affecting many people across our country, including right here in Central Florida. With this initiative, we're lending a hand to make a real and meaningful impact in our community by tapping into the best of our company's strengths. This is the right opportunity and the right time to take action."

Disney's announcement came on the heels of Universal Orlando promising to build 1,000 affordable apartments on 20 acres of Universal land.

Earlier Wednesday, Martin Garcia, the Gov. Ron DeSantis-appointee who chairs Disney World's government board, criticized Disney for not doing enough to provide affordable housing for its workers during a meeting where board members aired their growing list of grievances against the company.

"I was shocked. I understand Disney has 75,000 to 100 (thousand) employees working in the district that commute in and out every day — no affordable housing for them," Garcia said at Wednesday's Central Florida Tourism Oversight District meeting.

Post Views:0

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     last year
Earlier Wednesday,Martin Garcia, the Gov.Ron DeSantis-appointee who chairs Disney World's government board, criticized Disney for not doing enough to provide affordable housing for its workers during a meeting where board members aired their growing list of grievances against the company. "I was shocked. I understand Disney has 75,000 to 100 (thousand) employees working in the district that commute in and out every day — no affordable housing for them," Garcia said at Wednesday's Central Florida Tourism Oversight District meeting.

I wonder if Mr. Garcia has any idea of what he speaks. Disney announced the project in April of 2022 and then gave an update in November of 2022. 

Seems that Mr. Garcia and Governor DeSantis were out to lunch that whole time period.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    last year
Seems that Mr. Garcia and Governor DeSantis were out to lunch that whole time period.

meh, show me a republican in florida that's paying attention...

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

At the same time that Disney announced its affordable housing program in 2022, Universal Florida announced that they would be building 1000 apartments that will be rent controlled on land that they own close to their Orlando theme parks. 

Out maneuvered by Mickey Mouse and Woody Woodpecker (the mascot for Universal worldwide) again. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    last year

real cartoon characters making a fool out of a republican cartoon character, ronocchio...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    last year

Yeah...but at least the cartoon characters are funny

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Their residents will most likely not be voters that DeSantis would prefer, so expect to see his reaction.  Maybe he can have a low-security insane asylum or a gun firing range planted next to the development. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    last year

He has floated the idea of a prison and also toll roads to get into Disney. 

Thus far DeSantis is looking like Wiley Coyote.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year
Thus far DeSantis is looking like Wiley Coyote.

He looks more like Elmer Fudd.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year

Yeah, I know.  That's why I suggested what I did.  What I cannot fathom is what kind of ignorant fools vote for a childish vengeful bastard like him.  Disney is one of the best things to happen to Florida and he's out to screw it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @2.1.2    last year

Ha, that's perfect, G.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    last year

That what happens when a bully is exposed as an incompetent fool, they have to hit back.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Kavika     last year

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    last year

It’s not often you see the words Disney and affordable in the same sentence.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    last year

It certainly isn't cheap to spend a day or more there.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika @4.1    last year

My grandson just had his Make-a-Wish event there for a week.  I can’t imagine what that cost the foundation.  He was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, but he’s been quite the survivor.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.1    last year

The very best to your grandson, Hal. I hope that he had a wonderful time in the land of the Mouse.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.1    last year

All my best wishes on his continual survival