╌>

Summation of the CoC meta article

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  10 years ago  •  52 comments

Summation of the CoC meta article

Hello All,

I have spent a lot of time reading over the various comments and while some can go to vote immediately, others will have a test period before going to vote. The ones that will get the test period will be listed under the CoC tab and will be time stamped and will have a 3 month period of testing, at which time there will be a vote.

Here is the list of items:

1. Making the tradition of stating Impasse a rule:It should be used as a way of one member disengaging from another member. It has been used for quite some time. Votes will be 1. Make it part of the CoC 2. Leave it as an informal policy.
  2. Red Box Rules:The mostcontroversialof these items as some of our membership feels that it will be forced on them. In fact, although notnecessarily put in red, they have been here for quite some time... as even I put in that I will remove non-civil comments.They are optional to use andoptional toparticipatein the authors who use them. This will get a 3 month trial period. Those members who chose to be vandals will be noted and appropriately dealt with. At the end of the 3 months there will be a vote. The three month period will start from the date of this article.
  3. Inactive Groups:Immediate vote
  4. Warning on Graphic Articles:Put up a warning in the beginning at as the body of the article and then post the questionable material in the first comment box. Immediate vote
  5. No Slam Articles on the Front Page:In addition, letting slam article in HD run 48 hours instead of 36 or not have them at all when they are personal in nature.Immediatevote. Which brings me to...
  6. Getting Rid of HD:Love it or hate it...View it as a place to burn off anger or see it as an embarrassment. Vote delayed due to a discussion within the groups membership.
  7. Removal of certain terms from the NT Lexicon:Basically not calling people names, which should fall under the CoC, but since we have a problem with words like bigot, racist and anti-semite. This will go to immediate vote.
  8. Adding By Lines to Original Articles:The reason it is important to add a by line to the title of anoriginalarticle is because that is how google searches and finds these articles. It is to the benefit of you the writer and NT to do this. It will not be voted on, since it is more of a functional item, then an issue.
  9. Memes Are Not Articles:To highlight the discussion: Memes in posts are just fine. Memes as a stand alone article are not. You can use a meme within an article, but use some additional words to define what we are discussing. Immediate vote.

There you have it. The voting will take place on the front page, which will change the format of the front page for a while. Voting will start tomorrow, and will continue until Dec 9th, to give everyone a chance to vote.

Thanks for participating.

This article is now closed and voting is now open.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    10 years ago

Got it, Perrie!Smile.gif Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

Impasse would only apply to the thread the discussion is on. And you are not forced into an impasse, but rather it's just a way to keep tempers down when no agreement can be found.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Now we are having it imposed upon us for a three month trial period?

Yes. Some things can't be known until you try them by the whole group. But in reality, they have been here the whole time, just not in red.

So this is how we vote on things. Some one or group decides they want to try something and then they impose it on the whole group for three months?

Did you go through that whole list? This is the only item with a deferred vote. Like ACA, we will not know how it functions until it is.

Also telling us it's policy but not having the policy written down for all to access is bogus in the extreme

Policy is something that has been in practice all along and the group didn't vote on it... like the moderators group functions, Impasse, etc. They evolved organically without anyone noticing by need.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    10 years ago

Thanks for doing this-- I know it was a lot of trouble!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Crap - I totally agree with you John.

Have to cut down on my coffee intake.Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

You can always just ignore the replies and refuse to participate. Smile.gif

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    10 years ago

It is my opinion that putting the future of HD up for vote Is an UNFAIR vote. HD is a private group and people whom are NOT members are being allowed to vote whether or not it is allowed to be a group. Are you setting a precedent, that NOW allows the members as a Whole to decide what groups are allowed and what kinds of conduct are allowed and NOT allowed within a PRIVATE group?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LR,

Did you look at who owned the group? It's me. It's private for a good reason.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Silly Mike.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Robert,

This isn't the vote... but OK I will for clarification...

Warning on Graphic Articles:At the bottom of the article.... graphic either in blood and guts or overly sexually explicit...Go with the old rule of "you know it when you see it".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LMAO!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

The red box rules are about how people are treated. But in reality, the CoC could have more bite if more people reported. That is where the problem lies.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

It came up a number of months ago. Complaints both ways came in. I said no memes as articles until the next CoC vote.... here we are.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    10 years ago

Perrie,

That is exactly my point. there are 130 members of the HD group, YOUR GROUP, so whyis it that the people who are NOT members of YOUR GROUP voting as to whether or NOT to keep the HD group. And so you know, I DO know why there is a HD group. and I DO take advantage of it.....Its more fun and gratifying than doing it (taking care of business) on the front page.....

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    10 years ago

The ACA is the biggest cluster fuck the American people have ever seen.

You can't know that to be a fact Robert. The health care system in America is broken and costing Americans a lot of money.

The US overall health care ranks 11th in the world compared to the other developed nations, yet we spend more per capita than any other country.

From Forbes .

For this years survey on overall health care, The Commonwealth Fund ranked the U.S. dead last .

The World Health Organization ranked us 38th! of 191 countries in care, and 1st in per capita cost.

So you see something is measurably wrong with our health care system as it is, and only time will tell if ACA will improve the care we get while bringing down the cost per capita.

The alternative is do do nothing an leave the system broken.

But all that should be discussed in another forum as we're of topic here. I'll be glad to have a discussion with you regarding the ACA any time or other place you chose. Bring credible references and links. Comments like, " The ACA is the biggest cluster fuck the American people have ever seen. ", won't cut it.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I hate to be a pain in the ass here,.......

We're used to it. 8^)}

..... but it might be helpful to define some of these items a little clearer.

I agree, but rather than attempt to define how a fairly vague term should be applied in a relativelyambiguous situation, why not just leave it as an informal policy.

I don't see howdeclaring"Impasse" is anydifferentthan "agreeingto to disagree", other than it sounds better.

Anyway, if I understand this Impasse thing correctly, making a declaration of Impasse as a part of the CoC will enable a person to make such a declaration any time they feel they have a leg up in a debate, leavingtheir'opponent' in a lurch and unable to respond to something that may be factually incorrect.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

One fact I'm sure he is aware of is he didn't say that. LOL

24.gif You're right, I sometimes confuse you with Robert G., Comment removed for CoC violation [ph] 26.gif

Now how about responding to my comment ...... Mike.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Weirdpictures-penguin_Dog.jpg?width=50

Self portrait Robert Mike?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

At the bottom of the article.....

At the bottom of the article?!

Isn't that too late for a "Grafic Content" warning if a person has already puked all over their keyboard?

retired military ex Republican
Freshman Silent
link   retired military ex Republican    10 years ago
Hey Gunny sounds like you and maybe Mike should tell Perrie how its gonna be as you talk like nobody else has any say so. So be it.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Reply by 1stwarrior 4 hours ago

Crap - I totally agree with you John.

Have to cut down on my coffee intake. Smile.gif

Posted on December 4, 2014 To be preserved in the NewsTalkers archives ofhistorical events.41.gif

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

4.Warning on Graphic Articles- More information is needed as to what this actually applies to. I am not sure what types of graphics are targeted.

Raven,

As Perrie said elsewhere in this thread, "you'll know it when you see it". If you're about to post an article that has photos, graphics or text you feel someone may beuncomfortablewith, go ahead and post a "Graphic Content"warning.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    10 years ago

1. Leave it as an informal policy

2. I'll vote in three month but don't currently have any problems with them.

3. Dump 'em, clean house.

4. Sure, kind of like the "NSFW" warnings.

5. and 6. Yes, leave it off the front page and yes keep the HD for those that want to vent aggressively. I understand Dowser's concern that the animosity bleeds into the front page. Good moderation should take care of that (I think).

7. Not sure about this one, could turn into a major pc headache. E.g. "you are a racist" or "that's a racist comment", same word, different usage.

8. Fine

9. Fine

for what it's worthSmile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Mike, I think it should be up to one person-- "OK, we're never going to agree, so why don't we just move on" kind of thing...

But, it is annoying when you've basically said that, and someone keeps goading you to respond...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yeah, I don't enjoy pictures of dead animals... They make me cry. But to many, it isn't offensive, so, if I see them, I'll just cry.

No big deal. I cry a lot anyway...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I am a member, and I guess that, ethically, I'm allowed to vote on it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You know what my dad always says:

A bitchin' man is a happy man.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I don't see howdeclaring"Impasse" is anydifferentthan "agreeingto to disagree", other than it sounds better.

Either is fine.

Anyway, if I understand this Impasse thing correctly, making a declaration of Impasse as a part of the CoC will enable a person to make such a declaration any time they feel they have a leg up in a debate, leavingtheir'opponent' in a lurch and unable to respond to something that may be factually incorrect

Peter Faden had that concern, too. I had to give it some thought. Saying 'Impasse" might means you get to walk away, but you could do so anyway... even without saying it. By saying impasse, you are saying that there is not going to be a meeting of the minds and instead of letting things get out of hand... Impasse. it isetiquette and really nothing more.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Actually, I disagree. Most insults here are the run of the mill variety and are deleted when reported. If they are eggregious, people have gotten suspensions. Report and don't retort.Escalatingdoesn't help and only gets you in trouble.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

It's true Mike. The reason was just like chat in the main room and the activity feed, the photo album was supposed to be non-political. What is on your own page, is your own business.

Lot's of painful show downs before this one. At the end of the day, no one died... which either means we are very good shots or very bad, LOL!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

OY!!! I'm Dizzy already... I meant on top of the article. In fact... really the warning alone in the article and post the article in the first comment.

Call this the Mike Lonkouski Rule. He would like that!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Raven,

I would much prefer like to see such a warning posted at the beginning of the article, not at the bottom of the article

I meant at the beginning of the article...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Pat,

Please make your feelings known tomorrow on the official vote. It will be on the front page.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LR,

The purpose of that group was corrupted. But you do have a point. I will delay the vote on it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You are such a lovely little fish. I'd love to fry you up in batter and have you with tartar sauce and vinegar.

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant    10 years ago

No, that bowl doesn't make your ass look bigger.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

So what happened to the idea of restricting the number of solopsistic comments one can make on his own publishings ? There are some members who do that consistently filling up the FP with their drivel and refusing to let it die a natural death . I could see adding new material with updated links but posting one's own drivel with no response from the membership [not even a vote] is IMO inexcusable ...

pat wilson
Professor Participates

true, but I like a good meta article.

pat wilson
Professor Participates

will do :-)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Love you both, Pat and Perrie.

Not that it is on topic, or pertinent, but I just felt the need to say it. Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

If a person can't handle being called a bigot or racist

I'm inclined to agree with you on that ...believe it or not . But there is no harm done by requiring one to tone down one's language [eg : "you are sounding bigoted or racist when you say that ..."]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

It's misogynistic smut and inappropriate

Yeah ... an article like " DO YOU LOVE COC? " is sooo proper and appropriate . Get real !

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Stick to the facts JV no denigrating the correspondent people here.

It was a fact, but apparently a violation to say it.

plus you have no room to judge people.

Look whose talking.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Comment removed for CoC violation [ph]26.gif

Never mind Robert Mike, we're off topic anyway. I'll put up an article regarding the ACA, and we'll see if you have any credible sources to back your "cluster fuck" comment.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Comment removed for CoC violation [ph]

Sorry about that, I thought I was just inside the line.

(dust up a little chalk on the sideline and you're called out of bounds)