╌>

Five juveniles in custody in California beating of US Marines: mayor

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  11 months ago  •  72 comments

By:   Landon MionMelissa Chrise (Fox News)

Five juveniles in custody in California beating of US Marines: mayor
Several juveniles were charged after a video showed three U.S. Marines being assaulted on a beach in San Clemente, California, over Memorial Day weekend.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Disturbing video posted on social media shows a group of teens allegedly beating Marines in San Clemente, CA over Memorial Day Weekend. (Credit: San Clemente Life)

Five juvenile suspects were arrested in connection with the assault on three U.S. Marines carried out by a mob of teenagers on a beach in San Clemente, California, over Memorial Day weekend, San Clemente Mayor Chris Duncan confirmed to Fox News Digital on Tuesday.

The suspects were charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon and remain in custody, Duncan said. San Clemente's mayor said investigators have identified at least four more juveniles involved who may be charged with misdemeanor assault and battery.

Duncan described the investigation into Friday night's incident as "very efficient and effective." He said investigators do not anticipate any additional arrests, but said that could change.

Orange County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Mike Woodroof said on Fox News' "The Story" that anyone, regardless of age, who "kicks another human being in the head to cause damage, internal injury to that magnitude will be arrested for a felony assault deadly weapon."

Nine juveniles were charged in connection with the assault on three U.S. Marines on a beach in San Clemente, California, over Memorial Day weekend.(San Clemente Life)

A video posted on the social media platform Nextdoor shows one person throwing a punch at one of the alleged victims from behind before a large fight breaks out. The injured victim lunges at his attacker. The group of teenagers and young adults was then seen kicking the victims.

Two victims were filmed lying on the ground in the fetal position and covering their heads as the mob kicked and punched them. A couple of bystanders intervened in the beating, with one woman standing between the victims and the attackers as she outstretched her arms and yelled, "Stop!"

Five suspects were charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon.

The confrontation allegedly began when the Marines told the teenagers to stop lighting fireworks on the beach, according to KCAL.

In a press release, the sheriff's department said deputies responded to the San Clemente Pier at around 10 p.m. Friday night after being notified that a large group of juveniles had assaulted Marines.

Deputies arrived to find two injured Marines and rendered medical aid. The Marines declined transportation to the hospital.

The confrontation allegedly began when the teenagers were told to stop lighting fireworks.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    11 months ago

That would be Generation Z

We haven't heard much from their elders over the Memorial Day weekend.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    11 months ago

Read this story this morning. 30 of the fucking punks? At least they arrested five of them...............

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    11 months ago

More like 40. They need a gang, cowards & scum that they are.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    11 months ago

Yep, gang bangers do not do well one one on one. They need their homey's to back them up.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    11 months ago

Can justice happen in California?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    11 months ago
Can justice happen in California?

Does that jurisdiction have a Soros-backed dumbass for a DA?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    11 months ago

I believe that is Orange County, which was once one of the saner jurisdictions.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    11 months ago
That would be Generation Z

There are over 68 million Gen Zs in the US, I doubt that 40-60 of them define the vast majority.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.2    11 months ago

Pew Research Center surveys conducted in the fall of 2018 (more than a year before the coronavirus outbreak) among Americans ages 13 and older found that, similar to Millennials, Gen Zers are progressive and pro-government, most see the country’s growing racial and ethnic diversity as a good thing, and they’re less likely than older generations to see the United States as superior to other nations. 1

What We Know About Gen Z So Far | Pew Research Center

That much we know

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Hallux @1.2    11 months ago

Another failed attempt to excuse unwarranted violence.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.3  Hallux  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.2    11 months ago

Maybe you can point out where I excused the violence?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Hallux @1.2.3    11 months ago

Sure. Comment 1.2 :

There are over 68 million Gen Zs in the US, I doubt that 40-60 of them define the vast majority.

The subtlety is palpable.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.5  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    11 months ago

My generation made mistakes as has every other generation and they, as we did, will learn from them ... it's part of the process (or so I have learnt from the tenets of capitalism). Keep on trashing them and all you will achieve is to further radicalize them which in the end is being dumber than them. Tallyho Vic!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Hallux @1.2.5    11 months ago
Keep on trashing them and all you will achieve is to further radicalize them

Should they face consequences for needlessly beating the crap out of people, or should we just let them go on their merry way because they're just teens?

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.7  Hallux  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.6    11 months ago

Those involved certainly, the other 99.9999% not so unless you of course agree with Vic's broad brush tactic of condemning entire generations which will achieve nothing but to further divide the nation into dystopian partisan camps.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Hallux @1.2.7    11 months ago
Those involved certainly,

Good to know we agree on that.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.9  Hallux  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.8    11 months ago

Now you know not to insert what you think I meant. Let that be a lesson to you.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.10  Jasper2529  replied to  Hallux @1.2.9    11 months ago
Now you know not to insert what you think I meant.

I understood exactly what you meant in comment 1.2 . That's why I followed up with 1.2.2 1.2.4 , and  1.2.6 which finally got you to say, in comment 1.2.7 ...

Those involved certainly,

------------------------

Let that be a lesson to you.

I'll let you know when I believe you'd be in a position to teach me a lesson!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    11 months ago

"kicks another human being in the head to cause damage, internal injury to that magnitude will be arrested for a felony assault deadly weapon."

So a fine that won't be collected and they'll walk away. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    11 months ago

Or just turned over to their parent..........or parents if they have both..............

George
Junior Expert
3  George    11 months ago

Obviously this isn't a conceal carry state, too bad.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  George @3    11 months ago
Obviously this isn't a conceal carry state, too bad.

Because the marines may have been killed then?

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1    11 months ago

Sure Ozzy, because minors are allowed to conceal carry. why do you feel the need to troll people?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  George @3.1.1    11 months ago
because minors are allowed to conceal carry.

I don't think he thought that one through before posting.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    11 months ago
I don't think he thought that one through before posting.

That would indicate an even partial functioning brain.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  George @3.1.1    11 months ago
Sure Ozzy, because minors are allowed to conceal carry. why do you feel the need to troll people?

Ahhh, so you want the marines to conceal carry so they can kill the teens.  Why didn't you just say you wanted the teens dead?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.5    11 months ago

If the teens are acting stupidly and trying to severely injure or kill the Marines. I have no problem with that. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.5    11 months ago

Although there were 40 of them, just showing a gun would have scared the pussies away..........unless one of them thought he was Superman and also had a gun. Then I am sure they would have had more than one casualty.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.5    11 months ago
Why didn't you just say you wanted the teens dead?

I am sure they would have just shot them in the big toes and called it a day.  Why do you have a problem with marines protecting themselves?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.6    11 months ago

If the teens are acting stupidly and trying to severely injure or kill the Marines. I have no problem with that. 

So you feel that a simple assault should result in capital punishment.  That's quite telling.  How about bad language?  Should they have been able to shoot the teens if they were just saying mean words?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.9    11 months ago

Kicking someone in the head is the exact same thing as bad language. great point. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.11  George  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.5    11 months ago
Why didn't you just say you wanted the teens dead?

Another trolling comment made. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.12  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.10    11 months ago

40 to 2 and it is a simple assault, [removed]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.13  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.9    11 months ago

Causing or intending to cause severe injury or death is more than simple assault. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.14  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.9    11 months ago
So you feel that a simple assault should result in capital punishment. 

They were charged with assault with a deadly weapon, not simple assault.  Of course that would not have gone along with your narrative so you made stuff up instead.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.13    11 months ago
Causing or intending to cause severe injury or death is more than simple assault.

You have to prove that first.  You can't shoot somebody because you "think" they are going to do something.

There is a boy shot twice because he rang a doorbell and the homeowner "thought" he was going to be attacked by him.

There is a girl dead because she turned up the wrong driveway and the home owner "thought" she was coming to attack him.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.16  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.14    11 months ago
They were charged with assault with a deadly weapon, not simple assault.

After the fact.  So shoot first, ask later?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.17  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.16    11 months ago

So if you are being kicked in the head by a dozen or so kids and you are armed your suggestion is to wait until they are charged before defending yourself?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.18  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.15    11 months ago
You can't shoot somebody because you "think" they are going to do something.

The marines did not "think" the kids were going to do something.  The kids were already doing something.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.19  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.15    11 months ago

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I think that getting knocked to the ground and being punched and kicked by 30-40  people constitutes an intention to commit grave bodily harm. Should one have to wait until one is on the very brink of death to defend oneself?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.20  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.15    11 months ago
There is a boy shot twice because he rang a doorbell and the homeowner "thought" he was going to be attacked by him.

There is a girl dead because she turned up the wrong driveway and the home owner "thought" she was coming to attack him.

Two entirely different things. The marine beatings and these examples are not even close to being comparable. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.21  Right Down the Center  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.20    11 months ago
Two entirely different things. The marine beatings and these examples are not even close to being comparable. 

But that won't stop the comparisons if bullshit is all you have.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.22  Right Down the Center  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.19    11 months ago
Should one have to wait until one is on the very brink of death to defend oneself?

Of course not.  You just have to ask for a timeout and ask them if they intend to harm you.  /s

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.23  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.17    11 months ago

So if you are being kicked in the head by a dozen or so kids and you are armed your suggestion is to wait until they are charged before defending yourself?

If you are being kicked in the head by a dozen or so kids, it is too late for you to do anything except hope they don't find your gun and shoot you with it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.24  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.20    11 months ago
The marine beatings and these examples are not even close to being comparable.

Yes, they are.  If you are on the ground getting beaten, it is too late for you to pull your gun, since it will probably be taken away from you and used against you.  You would use the gun when initially confronted, when you "think" you know what is going to happen.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.25  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.23    11 months ago
it is too late

Conjecture, nothing more

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.26  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.24    11 months ago
it is too late for you to pull your gun, since it will probably be taken away from you and used against you. 
Conjecture that it is too late
Conjecture that they would take it away from you
Conjecture that they would use it against you
You would use the gun when initially confronted, when you "think" you know what is going to happen.
Hmm, too late to do anything if they start beating you and too early before.  So just let them beat you and hope they stop before you are dead even though you are armed specifically as protection?
How about you take the gun out and the assholes scatter like the cowards they are?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.27  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.26    11 months ago

Conjecture that once the assault starts, a gun would stop it.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.28  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.27    11 months ago

I was actually talking about before the assault gets into full swing but of course it is conjecture either way.  Although I am not sure how many people would continue an attack with a gun pointing at them, but there is no way to know for sure.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.29  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.28    11 months ago
I was actually talking about before the assault gets into full swing but of course it is conjecture either way.

So, these big tough marines are walking down the street and they see a group of teenagers approaching them.  You feel that the marines would be justified in brandishing weapons at them?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.30  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.29    11 months ago

I didn't say that. It seems you are consistently trying to put words into people's mouths and trying to get them to defend things they never said. It is tiresome.

Why don't you just say you wish the marines were beat to death? See, I can do it too.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.31  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.30    11 months ago
Why don't you just say you wish the marines were beat to death? See, I can do it too.

The marines being beaten by the teens was a tragedy. 

However having dead teenagers on the street would be even more tragic.

Now you can continue with your but...but...but...what if's all you like.  If firearms were involved, so would be deaths.  And the truth of the matter is that as long as the deaths were the teens, you'd be fine with it.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1.32  GregTx  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.31    11 months ago

Who outnumbered who? And who was committing assault?..

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.33  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.31    11 months ago

If firearms were involved, so would be deaths. 

Not necessarily. Conjecture 

And the truth of the matter is that as long as the deaths were the teens, you'd be fine with it.

Nope, but thanks for trying to tell me what I would be fine with.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.34  afrayedknot  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.33    11 months ago

(deleted)

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.35  Right Down the Center  replied to  GregTx @3.1.32    11 months ago

I guess the marines were just supposed to take it and not fight back. Heaven forbid one of the punks lost a tooth.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.36  Right Down the Center  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.34    11 months ago

When all else fails progressives just make shit up and accuse people of something. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.37  afrayedknot  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.36    11 months ago

My bad. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.38  Right Down the Center  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.37    11 months ago

No problem.  I just had the comment I was responding to in my response 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.39  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.31    11 months ago
However having dead teenagers on the street would be even more tragic.

Yet it is rare that anyone comments here about dead teenagers on the street,

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     11 months ago

San Clemente is in Orange County, CA and is known as a military town since the Marine base at Camp Pendleton is a 1/2 hour away and MCRD is an hour away. 

There are around 40,000 Marines and sailors stationed at Pendleton. So I'd say these punks made a really huge mistake in attacking three Marines in San Clemente. 

Thus far I read that they have arrested nine of them and have numerous videos to help ID them. 

And thanks to the lady and others that helped stop these punks. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @4    11 months ago
So I'd say these punks made a really huge mistake in attacking three Marines

Despite what their command will tell them, San Clemente will be flooded with Marines looking for these cowards for the foreseeable future.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1    11 months ago

The Sheriff said that the nine that have been arrested so far are all residents of San Clemente. In the words of the Great Joe Louis, they can run but they can't hide.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    11 months ago
they can run but they can't hide.

I'm sure the Marines are saying the same thing.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1    11 months ago

Maybe "Dungaree Liberty" is in the forecast - as happened to Jacksonville/Camp LeJeune, NC, when the civilian folks beat the kush outta some Marines on liberty.  Can't find a reference - just remember an ol' DI's tale.

Semper Fi - go gettum.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  1stwarrior @4.1.3    11 months ago

I've seen the same thing happen here at Fort Bragg once or twice.  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5  arkpdx    11 months ago

My issue is how wussified the Marines have become. In the last few years. In earlier days off of 3-4 attackers per Marine would not be an even fight for the attackers. The Jarheads would have cleaned that beach up with the attackers. Shoot in those days the gang bangers would have needed ten or fifteen more just to make it a fair fight. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6  Right Down the Center    11 months ago

Maybe the kids arrested should spend a little quality time with 30 or so marines.  Actually only the ones they beat would be enough.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7  arkpdx    11 months ago

Gunny highway would not be amused 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8  arkpdx    11 months ago

Gunny highway would not be amused