╌>

Nearly half of voters would consider backing third-party candidate in 2024: poll

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  20 comments

By:   Caroline Vakil (The Hill)

Nearly half of voters would consider backing third-party candidate in 2024: poll
Close to half of American voters would consider backing a third-party candidate if President Biden and former President Trump head toward a rematch in 2024, according to a new poll. A NewsNation/DDHQ poll released on Tuesday found that 49 percent of respondents said it was somewhat or very likely that they would consider voting for…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Close to half of American voters would consider backing a third-party candidate if President Biden and former President Trump head toward a rematch in 2024, according to a new poll.

A NewsNation/DDHQ poll released on Tuesday found that 49 percent of respondents said it was somewhat or very likely that they would consider voting for a third party candidate in 2024 if Trump and Biden were their parties' respective nominees.

Among the candidates whom respondents said they would be most likely to vote for as a third party candidate, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) received 21 percent, former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) received 10 percent and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) received 7 percent, among others.

Another 43 percent said they would choose someone else as a third party candidate.

Asked recently whether she would consider a third-party bid, Cheney, a vocal opponent of Trump, declined to rule it out. However, she has also repeatedly said she will do whatever it takes to prevent the former president from being elected again, suggesting that she would likely pass on a White House bid if the former president was likely to prevail in the GOP primary.

Manchin has also not ruled out a third-party bid. Sanders, meanwhile, has said he is backing Biden in 2024.

The poll comes as Biden faces high levels of disapproval in national surveys. In the same NewsNation/DDHQ poll released Tuesday, 53 percent of voters said they disapproved of how Biden handled his job. Another 47 percent said they approved.

Trump doesn't fare better in many national polls, though he still maintains high levels of support among GOP voters, making a rematch with Biden likely. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) officially entered the GOP primary race several weeks ago, while several more contenders are expected to throw their hats in the ring this week.

The substantial number of voters who don't want Trump or Biden as the nominees has raised questions about the possibility of a third-party challenger.

The NewsNation/DDHQ poll was conducted between May 25 and May 26 with 1,000 voters polled. The margin of error was roughly plus or minus 3 percent.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

Who would most likely make such a move?

Who would have the best chance?

Fx3Rp6rXwAAaEmV?format=jpg&name=small

Would it be the guy in trouble back home?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year
Who would have the best chance?

The article is a lot of conjecture. Yes people say they've had it with partisan politics and would consider voting 3rd party, but it hasn't been done since 1968. When rubber meets the road things are still too polarized. Sanders is too far to the left for either moderate party members. Machin would have as much chance with moderate Reps as Cheney would have with moderate Dems which is to say little. I haven't seen a name yet that 50% of the country could get excited for and that leaves the door open for another Biden vs Trump campaign.

George
Junior Expert
1.1.1  George  replied to  evilone @1.1    last year

Not surprising you chose this, seeing how to this day he is a democrat hero.

it hasn't been done since 1968.

Ross Perot got 5% more of the popular vote in 92 than the racist piece of crap the democrat hero George Wallace got in 68.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  George @1.1.1    last year

A third party candidate in 2024 would be nothing but a spoiler , and since such a candidate would almost certainly be to the left of Trump, would be welcomed by him. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.3  evilone  replied to  George @1.1.1    last year
Not surprising you chose this, seeing how to this day he is a democrat hero.

WTF are you talking about?

Ross Perot got 5% more of the popular vote in 92 than the racist piece of crap the democrat hero George Wallace got in 68.

Ross Perot lost. Good job illustrating my point.

George
Junior Expert
1.1.4  George  replied to  evilone @1.1.3    last year
WTF are you talking about?

Your hero George Wallace lost in 1968 also, by a larger margin than Perot did in 92.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.5  evilone  replied to  George @1.1.4    last year
Your hero George Wallace....

Interesting. I am neither from Alabama nor was I old enough to vote in 1968. The only indication he could be hero to me must have come from some partisan shit hole.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @1.1.5    last year

Wallace was a Democrat.

Own it.

George
Junior Expert
1.1.7  George  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.6    last year

Wallace was the only other Governor to merge Martin Luther King holiday with Robert E Lee birthday, Clinton was the other, klansman of a feather.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.8  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.6    last year
Wallace was a Democrat.

Yeah. I can read too.

Own it.

I would were I a Southern Democrat of the 1960s. I am neither a Democrat, lived in the South nor old enough to vote in 1968 so stop comparing oranges to Volvos. Stop assuming that everyone that doesn't agree with you a hundred percent on everything has to be a Democrat. Stop trying to tell current Democrats they are the same as 1960's Southern Democrats. All it does is make those who do it looks ignorant or purposefully obtuse.

Your smarter than that and I know it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @1.1.8    last year

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @1.1.8    last year

I was just following the liberal playbook that blames people today, for shit that happened decades or even centuries ago.    

I guess you must not agree with that either right?     Since I know you are much smarter than that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Trump supporters like yourself are praying for a third party candidate. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    last year

Like you aren't praying for Liz Cheney to run.

Anything to protect Brandon the Human Fuck Up Machine and Democrats for answering for the last 7 years and counting.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2.1    last year

I dont think Liz Cheney would hurt Trump. The MAGA cult wouldnt even consider her. David Duke might take some votes away from him though. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    last year

Sadly for TDS ridden left wing nuts, just saying so, don’t make it so.

The cheese may have finally slipped completely off their cracker.

Completely.

George
Junior Expert
2.1  George  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

They can't afford cheese, unless it was government cheese. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    last year

The important question is whether or not Trump will run as an independent or third party candidate if he does not secure the Republican nomination?

There's no denying that the unpopularity of both Trump and Biden has created a political vacuum.  Republicans are fielding a number of viable (but lesser known) alternatives to Trump.  At this early stage in the primaries Republican candidates are already challenging Trump and are not being punished by the electorate, so Trump obtaining the party nomination is far from certain.  Democrats don't have a field of candidates to challenge Biden, so Democrats are at a distinct disadvantage.

Both parties are vulnerable to independent (or third party) challengers acting as spoilers.  And it is doubtful that any well known politician will run an independent campaign with the exception of Trump.  It seems far more likely that Trump running as an independent spoiler would damage Democrats much, much more than Republicans.  Biden would be forced to run against an independent Trump and try to tie Trump to the Republican Party as a spoiler; certainly possible but unlikely with Biden's low approval rating.  Republicans could distance themselves from an independent Trump.  But Democrats will be stuck with Biden till the bitter end.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

This story cannot be ignored:

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    last year

Just because a huge number of constituents would consider voting for a third party candidate doesn’t mean they’d ever be in consensus on who that could be.  In this political climate the person could only be a spoiler, never a winner.