╌>

4 children, including baby, found after their plane crashed in Amazon jungle 40 days ago

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  22 comments

By:   Dennis Romero, Alex Lo and Michelle Acevedo

4 children, including baby, found after their plane crashed in Amazon jungle 40 days ago
Four Indigenous children missing in the Amazon jungle for 40 days following the crash of their small plane were found Friday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Four Indigenous children missing in the Amazon jungle for 40 days following the crash of their small plane were found Friday.

"They themselves are an example of survival that will go down in history," Colombia's president, Gustavo Petro, said at a news conference. "Today, those children are the children of peace and the children of Colombia."

It wasn't immediately clear if the children — who ranged in age from 11 months to 13 years — were in good health, and Petro said it would take some times for doctors to make that determination.

230609-colombia-children-rescue-ac-1144p-57b92f.jpg Members of the army assist four Indigenous children who were found alive in the Colombian Amazon jungle in this image released on Friday.Colombian Presidency via AFP - Getty Images

"Their health must be frail," Petro said, speculating that they would need to gradually get back to consuming prepared foods instead of what sustained them in the jungle.

"We need to see into their mental health," he said.

The children, members of the Uitoto Indigenous community, were identified as Lesly Jacobombaire Mucutuy, 13; Soleiny Jacobombaire Mucutuy, 9; Tien Noriel Ronoque Mucutuy, 4; and Cristin Neriman Ranoque Mucutuy, 11 months.

The plane's sole engine failed and it crashed May 1, its nose-first wreckage found more than two weeks later in the Colombian jungle. Three bodies, all adults, including the children's mother, were found at the site, officials said.

But the four weren't there.

Authorities had hope they might be found alive after footprints believed to belong one of the four were discovered in late May. Colombian authorities continued to search for the children using tracking dogs on the ground.

Search for children missing in Colombia plane crash yields hope

Petro credited the country's military as well as members of Indigenous communities for the miraculous find.

"The work between armed forces and Indigenous communities — who obviously know the jungle better than we do — that work was successful," he said. "Indigenous communities and the military found the children."

The Associated Press contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    last year

To have survived in a jungle for 40 days is either a tribute to their knowledge of how to survive in the jungle or else it's miraculous. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    last year

Evening..would say it's a bit of both.. been following this story all the way through and brilliant news the 4 kids have survived...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.1    last year

I was wondering what they would have fed the baby, and then I realized there were probably banana trees in the jungle. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    last year

Was once trained in how to survive in a broad range of environmental conditions.

That they survived in their own geographical area is not surprising.  

Kids tend to be much more resilient than adults can imagine.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    last year

One also has to consider that many indigenous children in Central and South America are taught how to survive in the jungle from a very young age. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.4    last year

And so we are now witness to both the necessity for and success of that education.

shona1
Professor Quiet
2  shona1    last year

Evening... probably do what the Kooris do here out in the bush....the eldest child/adult chews the food to mush for the baby and then feds it to them etc..

Water wouldn't have been to much of a problem and certainly their local knowledge would have been a tremendous help in surviving.. all credit to the eldest child to keep them together and alive.. truly amazing...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     last year

The elder two would have taken responsibility for the younger two, that is how it works with indigenous people, and their local and inherent knowledge of their world.

This was taken from a Columbian website about the people of the Amazon. 

The indigenous peoples of the Amazon are the guardians of ancestral knowledge. They will amaze you first of all with their intimate knowledge of the local flora and fauna. These men and women are perfectly adapted to life, even survival, in the tropical rainforest zone. They will be your guides on the barely visible jungle trails, detailing the uses of each plant, each root.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @3    last year

Was once tossed into a jungle.

The only thing better than a knife is two knives.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Ender  replied to  cjcold @3.1    last year

As long as it wasn't naked and afraid....Haha

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Ender @3.1.1    last year

Wasn't a TV show. No haha.

Was SERE.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @3    last year

Did my jungle survival training in the Philippines at Cubi Point with some instructors being indigenous Negrito tribespeople and boy did those folks know their business. They would bring their kids into the classes to show that anybody could survive.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2    last year

They sure did Doc, a couple of friends of mine did their training there. I did mine in Hawaii.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @3.2.1    last year

I did SERE training at Warner Springs in California. That was pretty intense.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2.2    last year

Did you evade and escape the cactus there?jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @3.2.3    last year

Not completely. I was more concerned with the guys speaking Russian, wearing Russian uniforms, and beating up on me. Seems one of them had it in for Corpsmen.

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    last year

I don't know how they did it, but I am grateful to read this remarkable feat of survival. There is even wildlife to manage avoiding. . . .  And who, pray tell, changed the baby? Stopped the crying which could have 'awoken' the whole animal forest to their presence?

Alive!  Alive! Alive!

Lesly Jacobombaire Mucutuy, 13; Soleiny Jacobombaire Mucutuy, 9; Tien Noriel Ronoque Mucutuy, 4; and Cristin Neriman Ranoque Mucutuy, 11 months.

Lesly Jocobombaire Mucutuy - I presume we have you to thank for this success story - THANK YOU!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  CB @4    last year
And who, pray tell, changed the baby? Stopped the crying which could have 'awoken' the whole animal forest to their presence?

The indigenous peoples of the Amazon are very resourceful, CB. The jungle is very dense there with visibility less than 20 feet and it rains 16 hours a day. 

Carlos Peres, a professor of tropical forest ecology at the University of East Anglia in England who has worked with eight ethnic groups in the Amazon jungle, said in a telephone interview Saturday that the children’s knowledge of the forest would have helped them to survive.
One of the four Indigenous children who were found alive on Friday after being lost for 40 days in the Colombian Amazon forest arrives at the CATAM military base in Bogota on Saturday. The children had been missing after surviving a deadly plane crash on May 1.© Juan Barreto/AFP/Getty Images

“Four Western kids of the same age would have died” there, he said, but many children from Indigenous communities in the Amazon “mature very early” and at an early age learn basic skills for surviving in the forest, including how to find food and how to avoid predators. In some communities with which he has worked, children may begin climbing trees as early as 1 year old.

Obtaining water would not have been a problem, given the streams and creeks in the region, and members of Indigenous communities are able to build makeshift shelters quickly, Peres said, such as the one rescuers found last month during their search for the children.

He said the experience would have been traumatic for the children, “but they were also fighting for survival. And they would have known how to negotiate those conditions.”

For outsiders, “the hinterlands of the Amazon jungle sounds a lot more hostile than it actually is, particularly if you come from those places,” Peres continued. “In that part of the Amazon, there will be about 80 different species of snakes, but only five of those are venomous and they [Indigenous people] can distinguish poisonous from nonpoisonous snakes.”

They are far more attuned to the natural environment in which they live than any Western person can comprehend and this is generally true with indigenous people worldwide. Indigenous peoples worldwide have used diapers for centuries from the Inuit in the Arctic using sealskin to moss and various type of plants for North American, Central, and South American Indians. As you can see Indigenous have been civilized for centuries.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  Kavika @4.1    last year

That's powerful, Kavika. Very powerful.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    last year
 And who, pray tell, changed the baby?

It's safe to say that before diapers were invented for civilized society, babies crawled/walked around naked. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    last year

I'm thankful that all of the children were found. 

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    last year

Some brave kids.