╌>

Woman declared dead in Ecuador bangs on coffin during wake

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  21 comments

By:   Alexander Smith

Woman declared dead in Ecuador bangs on coffin during wake
Bella Montoya gave mourners in Ecuador a fright when she revived during her wake and banged on the coffin hours after being declared dead at a hospital.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Mourners in Ecuador had gathered at the funeral of retired nurse Bella Montoya when they heard strange noises coming from inside the coffin.

That might sound like a trope from a horror movie, but relatives were startled to see that Montoya — who had been declared dead after she was believed to have suffered a stroke and cardiac arrest — was still alive and breathing, her family and officials said Monday.

"It gave us all a fright," her son, Gilberto Barbera, told The Associated Press.

The woman, 76, was unconscious when her family took her to the hospital in the central city of Babahoyo on Friday, her son told the AP.

She did not respond to resuscitation, and the doctor on duty at Hospital Martin Icaza de Babahoyo declared that she had died, the Ecuadorian health ministry said in a statement.

Her family took her to the funeral home the same day, only to hear sounds from inside her coffin during the wake, her son said.

"There were about 20 of us there," he said. "After about five hours of the wake, the coffin started to make sounds. My mom was wrapped in sheets and hitting the coffin, and when we approached we could see that she was breathing heavily."

230613-ecuador-dead-woman-mb-0925-1f551a.jpg Bella Montoya, 76, seemingly revived inside her coffin. AP

Video recorded immediately afterward showed a coffin resting on the floor of a small, bare, light-blue room furnished with a silver crucifix and a pedestal fan. Inside the open casket was a woman with a gaunt face and gray hair, who was moving her mouth up and down as two men supported her head.

She was rushed back to the hospital, where she remained intubated in intensive care, the health ministry said, describing her condition as "unstable." Her son said doctors had not given them much hope about her prognosis.

The health ministry said it has formed a committee with other government agencies to audit how the premature declaration of death came about.

Ecuador's public health care system provides universal coverage.

Even though Ecuador is a middle-income nation, its health care system is ranked in the global top 50 for efficiency, based on government spending and life expectancy, according to the Bloomberg Health-Efficiency Index.

After the incident Friday, the health ministry tried to reassure Ecuadorians that it "maintains the offer of health services to the population at all levels of care."

CORRECTION (June 13, 2023, 7:30 p.m. ET): A previous version of this article misspelled part of the name of the hospital where Bella Montoya was mistakenly declared dead. It is Hospital Martin Icaza de Babahoyo, not Marlin.

Caroline Radnofsky and The Associated Press contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
1  CB    last year

Two points: 1. That's traumatizing to everybody.  2. This is why in 'many' companies-one is put in frozen storage containment and embalmed! You don't come back from that during the service!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  CB @1    last year

Once did CPR in the back of an ambulance until I was exhausted.

The guy had been dead for an hour before we even got there. 

Got to the hospital and he sat up and asked "where the fuck am I"

Had some weird cases back in the day and that was the weirdest.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  CB  replied to  cjcold @1.1    last year

I can believe it, cjcold. I can believe it. :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @1.1    last year

should have put a stake in his heart

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    last year

Oh no! :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @1.1.3    last year

Ok...it's not like I'm superstitious or even believe in vampires....but when somebody is supposed to be dead....and comes back to life.....

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.4    last year

I remember seeing a picture in my childhood from a distant relative in the funeral industry. it was of a corpse that had sat up on the table prior to being embalmed. there were other stories about other dead bodies doing weird stuff, but I can't remember them...

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.6  CB  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    last year

I have heard of this having due to gases (trapped) in the body following certain 'pathways' internally affecting sitting, standing body memorizations. (This is so depressing to talk about isn't it? But it may be helpful too.) :)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    last year

Apparently, Frida Kahlo sat up during her cremation.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.7    last year

that bbq grate got too hot...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    last year

So they do not embalm bodies in Ecuador?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @2    last year
So they do not embalm bodies in Ecuador?

Whenever I hear these stories that is the first thing I think of. I suppose that is what comes of having so many ancestors who were undertakers.

This line stood right out:

Her family took her to the funeral home the same day, only to hear sounds from inside her coffin during the wake, her son said.

They even held a wake the same day "the body was brought by the family to the funeral home."  That's a whole different world!

CB
Professor Principal
2.2  CB  replied to  TᵢG @2    last year

Yes, they do I have read offer embalming and full-service funerals. But they do offer alternatives (designed for the Poor):

Direct Ecuador Burial Arrangements

The body is buried shortly after death, usually in a simple container. No viewing or visitation is involved in Ecuador, so no embalming is necessary. A memorial service may be held at the graveside or later.

Direct burial in Ecuador usually costs less than the ‘traditional,’ full-service funeral. Costs include the funeral home’s basic services fee, as well as transportation and care of the body, the purchase of a casket or burial container and a cemetery plot or crypt. If the family chooses to be at the cemetery for the burial, the funeral home often charges an additional fee for a graveside service.

Direct Cremation in Ecuador

The body is cremated shortly after death in Ecuador, without embalming . The cremated remains are placed in an urn or other container. No viewing or visitation is involved, although a memorial service may be held, with or without the cremated remains present. The remains can be kept in the home, buried or placed in a crypt or niche in a cemetery, or buried or scattered in a favorite spot.

Direct cremation usually costs less than the ‘traditional,’ full-service funeral in Ecuador. Costs include the funeral home’s basic services fee, as well as transportation and care of the body. A crematory fee may be included or, if the funeral home does not own the crematory, the fee may be added on. There also will be a charge for an urn or other container. The cost of a cemetery plot or crypt in Ecuador is included only if the remains are buried or entomb.

Now then they did 'right' by her in one sense: They did not take the "Direct Cremation" service!

It is a problem for countries without proper cold storage to quickly 'dispose' of the body. They just procedurally declare "dead" and move to put you away in the ground and yes people who are suffering some type of weak heart episode do wake up. (I saw this happen once on a segment of NationalGeographic).

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  pat wilson    last year

Doesn't sound like she's long for this world even after she revived.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Has anyone ever heard of Conrad Aiken's short story "Mr. Arcularis"?  The article above reminded me of listening to a radio broadcast of it in the early 1950s.

22850831._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    last year
"It gave us all a fright," her son, Gilberto Barbera, told The Associated Press.

He has a gift for understatement.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6  SteevieGee    last year

So...  Is she woke now?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7  Trout Giggles    last year

Good thing they didn't stick her in the crematorium that day

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8  Jasper2529    last year

From the article:

Ecuador's public health care system provides universal coverage. Even though Ecuador is a middle-income nation, its health care system is ranked in the global top 50 for efficiency, based on government spending and life expectancy, according to   the Bloomberg Health-Efficiency Index

Hmmm.

Ecuador’s Ministry of Health has assigned a technical team to investigate why a death certificate was erroneously rubber-stamped.

However, it’s not the first time that a person has been determined to be alive at their own funeral.

Just last year, relatives of a 3-year-old Mexican girl   were stunned   when they noticed the glass window of her coffin fogging up at a funeral viewing.

Attendees subsequently checked for a pulse and found that the youngster was still alive — although she later passed away in the hospital.

There's something to be said for either cremation or embalming.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1  cjcold  replied to  Jasper2529 @8    last year

I want to be lost at sea so everybody keeps wondering.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  cjcold @8.1    last year

That would be a good Gilligan's Island episode. jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png