╌>

Republican reaction to Trump indictment is 'absurd,' former GOP governor says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  last year  •  71 comments

By:   POLITICO

Republican reaction to Trump indictment is 'absurd,' former GOP governor says
"If you are not going to challenge him, why challenge him?" former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said.

Ya think?

What is it with the GoP?    Why does it continue to make excuses for Trump?   Do GoP members not understand that Trump will only do damage to the GoP?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"If you are not going to challenge him, why challenge him?" former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said.

"Anybody who doesn't want to look at the facts, they should be disqualified from running, not just Trump," former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan added. | Steve Ruark/AP Photo

Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Sunday condemned the candidates in the GOP presidential field for rallying around former President Donald Trump after he was charged with 37 felonies related to classified documents he moved from the White House to his home at the end of his term.

"It's absurd that candidates won't stand up and say that these are very serious charges, we need to take them seriously, and, you know, if you are not going to challenge him, why challenge him?" Hogan, a Republican who declined to enter the presidential race, said during a panel discussion on ABC's "This Week."

"You've got 11, 12 challengers out there that aren't challenging him, and they're, you know, sort of enablers and just making excuses," Hogan said, noting that former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson — both of whom have openly bashed the former president over the indictment — were excluded from that count.

The former president's indictment has gotten a mixed response from his opponents in the 2024 Republican primary race, with some pledging to pardon Trump and others calling for the current front-runner to drop out of the race. Many have instead gone after the Justice Department and President Joe Biden, echoing Trump's claim that the indictment is "political prosecution," brought by a federal government they say is corrupt.

"I think they're all trying to find that balance, and I get the fact that they are all concerned about overzealous prosecution, but this is not the Russia probe, you know?" Hogan said, referencing an investigation into the former president's ties to Russia during his 2016 campaign.

"This [has] very serious potential national security implications. And to say we don't want to look at that — anybody who doesn't want to look at the facts, they should be disqualified from running, not just Trump," Hogan added.

Red Box Rules

This seed is about Trump and the GoP.   Any other party and any other PotUS is off topic.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    last year

The GoP continues to shoot its own foot.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @1    last year

Maybe they're afraid of ending up like LIz Cheney.  But their loyalty is not to Trump, it's tp whoever stuffs their pockets with money.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    last year

It is not that simple.  "There is something happening here.  There is a man with a gun over there."  (CSN)  As in the movie "Independence Day" the line, "They're using our own satellites against us"-----The enemies of America's democracy are using The Constitution against America.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  bbl-1 @1.1.1    last year
The enemies of America's democracy are using The Constitution against America.

Or at least The enemies of America's democracy are using "the current SCOTUS interpretation" of The Constitution against America.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    last year

Liz Cheney did herself in. She has no one to blame but herself.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.3    last year

I doubt she blames anyone else.   I suspect she knew full well that bucking Trump would compromise her political career with the GOP.

And to her credit, her integrity prevailed over her personal political ambitions.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.4    last year

Liz Cheney and the word "integrity" don't belong in the same sentence.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    last year

Amazing that you cannot see this.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.3    last year

Yeah, Cheney did herself in.  Damn bitch speaking truth.  Don't do that in the TrumpianGOP.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.6    last year

Well, not so amazing.  P.T.Barnum certainly hit the nail on the head. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.3    last year

Yup. Honor is unacceptable in a dishonorable club.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.6    last year

Actually... no. It is not the least surprising. For Maga-people to recognize that Cheney acted with honor would require them to see their own dishonor. Not gonna happen...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.10    last year

What amazes me is that we have members on this site who are intelligent and educated enough to be able to comment on it who simply can't comprehend that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.11    last year

Even if a MAGA-person understands the dynamic, they're still caught in it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    last year

Larry Hogan seems like a smart, decent guy.

Hogan, a Republican who declined to enter the presidential race,

That's a shame.  The GOP could use more like him.  But he's probably too smart to wade into this mess.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1  bbl-1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    last year

Does not change the fact that Hogan was and continues to be a part of the problem.  He has known what Trump is and was for years.  And yet he was another one that said nothing, thought nothing and did nothing.  When Trump was separating children from their parents and losing both of them Hogan said nothing.  There are many more things too.  He found a new bandwagon when the wheels of the old one were wearing out.  Good for him I guess.  He needs to apologize to the nation for saying nothing.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1    last year

They ALL DO! with a possible very Few exceptions, say, Cheney, Romney, and Any And All who have consistently called out Trump for his atrocities committed against Us All, our Constitution, our Extremely dizzied fore fathers forced to B centrifugal from a total abomination, an instigator and initiator of the Obama Birth Place frustration, where gullible wons  lose , B cause they r lost in the pittance of a petty proliferator, perpetual perpetrator, who has been given a leash we’ve not seen the likes of, at least not I, but hey, what a guy….

The GOP has got to see how damaged they’ve done their party, yet they continue to follow Trump over that cliff, and not to read the cliff notes, cause these idiots have Rhode this Scholar a tad too far to ever be taken seriously again.

They have risked much enabling this mental midget, guy playing with our Nations Secrets, Serious Secrets, that would have sunken about any other.

there is not an excuse for this “man” inhaling our White House for four years and polling as the gop front runner to this fuckn once great nation is truly a desecration, and until many more from his pathetic party begin talking like this late to the game lame brain, who has suddenly seen the light) because he Finally realizes Trump did cross a damn serious line, on top of the January 6th coming indictment, a hell of a lot more better see that enlightenment, cause there’s not going to be explaining that’s strong enough to X plane dis away all fancy and shit

and this is some Shit

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    last year
The GOP could use more like him.

sorry, only one GOP great white hope allowed per decade...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  devangelical @2.2    last year

Yeah.  And he's dead.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    last year

any smart politician on the right knows the GOP will be a shit show for at least the next 5 years.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    last year

Re-elected in deep-blue Maryland.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year

I say this half seriously. They are all waiting for Trump to drop dead. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

their only common thread with the rest of america...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year
Trump to drop dead

Only the good die young.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @3.2    last year

[deleted]

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.2.2  GregTx  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.1    last year

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    last year

Republican reaction to anything Trump is absurd.  To this very day not one GOPER has expressed even a miniscule interest to know what Trump meant when he said, "I Saved bin Suliman's ass."   Why would that be? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  bbl-1 @4    last year
"I Saved bin Suliman's ass

It was all revealed in the secret transcropt of the Helsinki meeting where Trump and Putin pledged loyalty to a society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    last year

Not only is that absurd, it is also absurd.

I ask again.  What did Trump mean when he said, "I saved bin Suliman's ass."  ? ?   Do you, Sean Tracey, as an alleged logical individual have any thoughts on that subject?

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.2  Igknorantzruls  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.1    last year

In the world of Trump, it sounds mundane.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @4    last year

because it doesn't matter?

you know, like Helsinki.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    last year

"You've got 11, 12 challengers out there that aren't challenging him, and they're, you know, sort of enablers and just making excuses," Hogan said...."

Define challenge. Why say anything either way while Trump is self-destructing. Better to act like adults and not engage in back and forth put insults with Trump. To do otherwise would be playing right into the Democrats strategy. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5    last year
Define challenge.

How about starting with something easy like simply not defending / making excuses for Trump?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    last year

Who's actually defending him, and what excuses are they making? Why rile up what's left of Trump's hard core crazies this early in the game? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.1    last year
Who's actually defending him, ...?

Good grief Greg.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.3  Igknorantzruls  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.2    last year

Unbelievable 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    last year

Never heard of Larry Hogan before this.

Seems Democrat media shills are willing to give a soap box to any Republican willing to bash Trump (no matter how obscure); and now the rest of the GOP nominees running for President.

Why doesn't he get off his ass and run for president himself against the Republican field if he has such strong sentiments? Show everyone how it is done. I am sure millions of Republican voters are eager to see him get up on the debate stage. That is if he could reach the 1% threshold in polling to even make the debate. 

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
6.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Ronin2 @6    last year
hy doesn't he get off his ass and run for president himself against the Republican field if he has such strong sentiments? Show everyone how it is done. I am sure millions of Republican voters are eager to see him get up on the debate stage. That is if he could reach the 1% threshold in polling to even make the debate. 

how do you expect new blood, when the GOP sets up blockers to dissuade candidates from running ?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Igknorantzruls @6.1    last year
how do you expect new blood, when the GOP sets up blockers to dissuade candidates from running ?

You can't be fucking serious! From the party that made sure Hillary was the candidate by tanking Sanders. Then rigged Brandon to win their nomination by selling out to the far left elements.

How many candidates are running for the GOP nomination? 11 or 12. How many Democrats are running against a weak, mentally incompetent, criminal Brandon- a whole 2!

Yet you think the GOP are the ones setting up blockers. The Democrats aren't even having any debates! The GOP asking any candidate to garner a simple 1% in polling to attend the debates isn't unreasonable. It is far better than having 12 plus candidates talking over each other; or multiple debate nights splitting the field up like they did in 2016.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.2  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.1    last year

Excuse me, but i stated not that the other party was head and shoulders above , just leaves many scratching their heads when one feels the need to insert words not uttered.

Both parties are a dismal failure, as should be quite obvious when you look at who the two parties offered up in the last two Presidential elections. Somehow, i think we could possibly do better than Donald J. Trump and Hillary Clinton, and though Biden his time is doing just fine, i am not an enthusiastic supporter of he or VP she. I CERTAINLY do literally HATE TRUMP and believe he has screwed US over big time, all while he makes an embarrassment of this once great country for the Trumpteenth time and time again. He is the worse of the worse, best of the worse, an American curse, that too many just can't shake. He is a sick individual with a cult following. Sad for the United States as a whole. Our Pay to Play Lobbyist bought and brought forth to reward those with the right backing, monetary means, can run all day, and on the "right" they run to extremes extremely too often, and the Dems are only slightly ahead or behind, dependent on ones point of vantage, cause this damn country is Brain Fckn Dead, as far as i'm concerned, or not concerned, as i haven't decided, but it does on occasion bother, and as it should. our country was hijacked by pols and legislatures who attempt to keep the majority's silenced and involved in in fighting, to distract, a tact that has been a tad too successful, in my  opine

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @6    last year

Is it required that you be aware of a human being before considering their opinion?

Your comment emits negative emotion and offers nothing on the topic.

Should the GOP candidates take on Trump or try to play nice with him?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    last year

Should the Democrat candidates take on Brandon or try to play nice with him?

Brandon has a special council (though you would be hard pressed to tell it) investigating his illegal classified documents from his time as VP and a Senator. Brandon and his family are under investigation for taking illegal foreign money in return for political influence. Brandon is mentally, and physically, incompetent. So why aren't Democrats attacking him?

That is basically what you are asking. Why isn't the GOP candidates sabotaging Trump; who right now stands the best chance of winning the nomination. Think any of them want 4 more years of Brandon the Human Fuck Up Machine? Think any of them want to risk alienating die hard Trump supporters if Trump isn't the nominee?  Why should they do the Democrat's work for them?

As I stated "Democrat media shills are willing to put any Republican willing to disparage Trump; and now GOP candidates, in front of a mike.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @6.2.1    last year
Should the Democrat candidates take on Brandon or try to play nice with him?

Is it possible for you to ever directly answer a question without deflecting?    Of course the D candidates should challenge Biden.   What a stupid question!

So why aren't Democrats attacking him?

Party loyalty.   The Ds currently see Biden as the most likely nominee.   That is because he is the incumbent and because he has declared to run.   Thus they will seek to protect him.   They should, however, be looking for (and supporting) a stronger nominee.   

That is basically what you are asking. 

Yet you did not answer my question.   You deflected (cowardly).

Why isn't the GOP candidates sabotaging Trump; who right now stands the best chance of winning the nomination.

Good grief that comment is utterly stupid!!   Trump winning the nomination virtually guarantees the GOP will lose.   Do you not understand that?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.2    last year

We could do without your half assed insults TiG.  Knock it off!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.3    last year

Stupid questions and comments will be called out as such. 

And that is especially true for comments which suggest that Trump winning the GOP nomination is a good thing for the GOP (and/or the nation).

I do not care if that upsets you.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
6.2.5  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.3    last year

Greg, TiG has GOT to be exhausted from constantly needing to explain , or possibly having to get possibly some others to admit, that which many seem very reluctant to admit. Trump was VERY BAD for US, and extremely bad for the GOP, yet it is like pulling teeth to get so many on the "right" to NOT defend him, or admit as much. I think TiG just might be a tit bit frustrated. I know i am, and i just did pop back within the last week or so. Not a whole lot has changed. Trump declares witch hunt, and so many are declaring the weaponization of the DOJ, without even reading thwe damn indictment. Trump is Trumps' own worse enemy

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.6  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Igknorantzruls @6.2.5    last year

It gets old constantly pointing out the obvious to those who clearly should know better yet continue with obtuse commentary.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
6.2.7  Igknorantzruls  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.6    last year

agreed. and often, as you state, they clearly know better, yet, no better than an annoyance is what i would have to assume  for you, cause they already annoy me yet again. Educating those stating that which we both seem to find surreal, is surreal, at least in my sir reality, as i try not to speak for others, but, to a lesser extent, B leave i might feel a lesser % of your pain...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    last year

Maybe it's because I lived in Maryland sixty years ago... or maybe it's because he was a competent governor... but he's clearly someone who should be more widely known.

If MAGA really goes down IN FLAMES, he only 65.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.9  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.8    last year

Did you intend to reply to Ronin?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.6    last year

They count on your exhaustion.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.9    last year

Sure. I'm convinced that Ronin is an intelligent fellow, interested in the future of the GOP....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.12  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.10    last year

I just cannot wrap my head around minds who repeatedly make utterly stupid arguments / comments.

The only possible advantage I can see is that they get pats on the back from their cohorts simply for engaging in 'the fight'.   Apparently facts and persuasive logic are irrelevant ... just make something up and emotionally spew it at the perceived 'enemy' and you have done well.

It is pathetic.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2.13  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.12    last year

You're too emotionally involved in all this pointless bickering. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2.14  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.12    last year
The only possible advantage I can see is that they get pats on the back from their cohorts

Loyalty to the Tribe is the ONLY thing that counts. Truth, honor... nah!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.15  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.13    last year

I abhor intellectual dishonesty and have no reluctance to calling it out.    Get used to it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.16  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.14    last year

Indeed, that is the most logical hypothesis I can muster.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.6    last year

They know they should quit but they can't. I compare them to people I have to talk to over the phone. They know they messed up and they need to get back in compliance but they swear they did this or did that and then to add to my further annoyance....they repeat themselves. I really hate that. I think they do it because they like the sound of their own voice or in this case they like to read the silly words they just typed.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.18  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.17    last year

it's from breathing all the noxious fumes caused by standing too close to burning crosses...

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.19  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.3    last year

then stop leading with your chin...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ronin2 @6    last year

Do they not talk about US governors on your side of the planet?

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Hallux  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.3    last year

Hogan was a centrist so why pay attention to him? /s

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.3.2  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @6.3.1    last year

This is in address to both 6.3 and 6.3.1.

He is the former Governor of Maryland a heavily leaning Democrat state. Which only has 10 electoral votes. Why the hell should I have heard of him?

As for being a centrist. Attacking Trump and Republican candidates doesn't make him a centrist; but it does make him a prime candidate for the Lincoln Project. That is if they have ever heard of him.

Why doesn't he run for President? I am sure moderates and leftists will flock to his banner./S

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.3.3  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @6.3.2    last year
Why doesn't he run for President?

He would be a fool to do so considering the current mental state of the GoP.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @6.3.3    last year

this is the typical Republican these days

holding-ears.jpg

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.3.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.4    last year

[deleted]

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
6.3.6  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.3.5    last year

pulling out thine hair ...?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.3.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ronin2 @6.3.2    last year
He is the former Republican Governor of Maryland a heavily leaning Democrat state.

Repaired.

This explains why you should have heard of him.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    last year

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that the other Republican candidates aren't challenging Trump.  And the notion that challenging Trump requires accepting Democrats' dirty tricks and accepting the FBI as a secret police (the modern version of the Democrats' KKK) seems rather bizarre coming from any Republican.  The Republican challengers are going after Democrats which means Trump is a useful victim and Larry Hogan completely ignores the political value of using Trump against Democrats.  (Didn't Hogan get the memo?  Reagan is dead.)

Right now, in Republican politics, Trump is the poster child for Democrats' dirty tricks, cheats, lies, and dictatorial overreach.  The political message is that Democrats will do to the country what Democrats have done to Trump.  And nothing Trump says or does will distract Republicans from their desire for retribution against Democrats.

If Larry Hogan wants to be a Democrat then he should just say so.  Hogan can even conveniently blame Trump.  (That would be vindication for everything Democrats have done, wouldn't it?  The ends do justify the means according to Democrats.)

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  JBB  replied to  Nerm_L @7    last year

That is why the MAGA gop is a fringe party!

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @7.1    last year

domestic terrorists...