╌>

Brain scans of coffee drinkers show its effects go beyond caffeine

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  128 comments

By:   Aria Bendix

Brain scans of coffee drinkers show its effects go beyond caffeine
A recent study observed changes in people's brain activity after they drank a cup of coffee that were not present in those who consumed caffeine on its own.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Many coffee drinkers will tell you there's something about that morning cup that other sources of caffeine just can't match.

Researchers in Portugal recently set out to investigate that idea: Is caffeine solely responsible for making people feel more alert, or do other parts of the morning ritual — coffee's smell or taste, perhaps — trigger that energetic feeling?

"If you listen to these individuals, they typically say that they need to have coffee in the morning to get ready. We wanted to understand the brain mechanisms and functional connectivity pattern that would justify this claim," said Nuno Sousa, one of the study's authors and a professor at the University of Minho's School of Medicine in Portugal.

The researchers recruited 83 people who drank at least one cup of coffee a day to undergo MRI scans so they could observe the participants' brain activity.

Of that total, 47 people were scanned before drinking their morning cup of coffee, then again 30 minutes after they had a cup. The 36 others were simply given caffeine diluted in hot water — no coffee — and underwent the same types of MRI scans before and after they consumed the beverage.

The results, published last week in the journal Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, suggest that, indeed, certain changes in brain activity were attributable only to coffee, while others were attributable to caffeine, as well.

The scans revealed that both groups — those who consumed caffeine and those who drank coffee — had decreased activity afterward in a part of the brain that puts people in a resting state. That indicated that people were more ready to start their days and engage with others after consuming either beverage. Decades of research has already shown that caffeine, a psychostimulant, can help people feel more aroused and alert.

However, the MRI scans showed that drinking coffee increased activity in parts of the brain involved in short-term memory, attention and focus, whereas ingesting caffeine on its own did not.

The researchers theorized that the sight, smell or taste of coffee may help people feel alert, regardless of the caffeine content.

"The pleasure that is given to an individual that likes coffee in the morning, that actually is part of almost a ritual that really is also important for that individual to feel that 'I'm ready for the day,'" Sousa said.

He added that people who don't regularly drink coffee may not experience the same effect.

Mark Mattson, an adjunct professor of neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine who wasn't involved in the research, said the findings weren't surprising, since people form associations with particular sensory experiences over time, which in turn can influence their future reactions.

"It kind of makes sense, right? Coffee has taste and smell, so when you drink coffee, you're activating brain regions that are involved in the perception of the taste of the coffee, the perception of the smell," Mattson said.

Dr. Uma Naidoo, a nutritional psychiatrist at Harvard Medical School, said the sight of coffee may trigger positive memories or make a person believe they're about to feel more awake.

"The visual impact of coffee is powerful," she said. "It could be like, 'Oh, I think there's something that gives me energy now. I'm going to have something that gives me that second wind I need at work or to study.'"

That's different from a placebo effect, she added, since the coffee is still inducing a physical, and perhaps emotional, response.

All three researchers said it's also possible that the natural chemicals found in coffee may have independent effects on brain activity, apart from those of caffeine. A group of chemicals in coffee called epicatechins, for instance, has been shown to improve memory in animal studies.

Sousa said the goal of the study is not to influence anyone's coffee consumption habits.

"We are not saying that coffee is good or coffee is bad," he said.

Mattson also pointed out that the study comes with several limitations. For one, the MRI scans measured blood flow, but caffeine can restrict blood flow, so the scans may not give a clear picture of its impact on brain activity. Mattson also noted that the study didn't include people who drank decaf coffee, which might have helped distinguish the effects of coffee versus caffeine on the brain.

Naidoo, meanwhile, highlighted that most of the study participants were women, so there could be sex-based differences in how people's brains respond to coffee.

But one point on which the researchers agreed is that coffee is a healthier way to consume caffeine than energy drinks or soda.

"It has caffeine, but it also is very rich in antioxidants and some polyphenols," Naidoo said, referring to natural compounds that may lower blood pressure, destroy cancer cells and protect against diabetes by improving metabolism.

"There's also another substance called trigonelline that gives coffee the aroma, the taste, that bitterness, but it also has antibacterial, antiviral properties," Naidoo said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
1  CB    last year

I drink a cup of coffee every day for (indefinite years) now. Interestingly, my short-term memory is not as good as it used to be. I try different brands looking to get back to that great 'brew' I used to make/taste and call: "liquid gold."

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @1    last year

I drink probably at least 3 cups a day. My short term memory is fine it's that other memory (what's it called again)....

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    last year

The long-term memory. . . . :) You know, the one that allows you to remember that song from the play way back in High School or songs from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s.

BTW, three cups of caffeine (moves slowly out of the body during the day/night (9 hours I'm told) might be a tad much.  What do you think?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @1.1.1    last year

No. Unless you want to see me go to prison fr 25 to life

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    last year

“Unless you want to see me go to prison fr 25 to life.”

Trout, you could always argue justifiable homicide.

(does this require a sarcasm tag?)

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  CB  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.3    last year

I say: "Just Give Trout G' all the coffee she craves."  Make peace. . .not jail time. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    last year

Stopped drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes many years ago.

Had to stop myself from punching fools out for months.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.6  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.1.5    last year

me too, but I started again when I became armed full time...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.1.6    last year

Have been armed "full time" for many years now. 

Find myself to make better decisions with no drugs onboard.

What's your favorite EDC?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.1.7    last year

.380 or 9mm

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.9  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.1.7    last year
Find myself to make better decisions with no drugs onboard.

weed keeps me from shooting at them right now...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    last year

no labor or human contact until I've had my 20 ounces.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @2    last year

... and I used to drink it nonstop until I got the shakes.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @2.1    last year

Was a Gevalia member for years until all of that connoisseur coffee started messing with my innards and my nervous system. Haven't drunk coffee in a few years now and don't miss it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    last year

Jethro Gibbs and Abby can vouch for the positive effects of caffeine although their choice of beverage differed 

My choice of waker upper is generic Mountain Dew

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    last year

I have an 20 ounce mug I fill up with coffee every morning. Sometimes I drink all of it during the morning, and sometimes I dont.  But I would never not make that mug of coffee. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     last year

There is a reason that Natives call coffee, ''black water medicine''.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    last year
"It has caffeine, but it also is very rich in antioxidants and some polyphenols," Naidoo said, referring to natural compounds that may lower blood pressure, destroy cancer cells and protect against diabetes by improving metabolism.
"There's also another substance called trigonelline that gives coffee the aroma, the taste, that bitterness, but it also has antibacterial, antiviral properties," Naidoo said.

Well, there ya go.  Coffee is health food.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    last year

Of course it is. Some people are alive and healthy today because I get my prequisite amount of caffeine every morning

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1    last year

I hear that.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
6.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    last year
Coffee is health food.

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.1  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @6.2    last year

Well, decaf for the "blood pressure challenged," of course!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @6.2.1    last year

That's what lisonipril is for

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.3  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.2    last year
lisonipril

That's interesting. I know of someone who uses Losartan for blood pressure lowering. However, decaf works 'better' for those coffee "achievers" who can't fully handle the regular drink any longer.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @6.2.3    last year

DEATH BEFORE DECAF!!!!

I take lisonopril for my blood pressure. It works well

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.5  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.4    last year

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Guide
6.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.4    last year

That's my motto. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Thomas
Masters Guide
7  Thomas    last year

I used to drink a pot or two of coffee a day. Carried around a large insulated mug that my mentor in college called my "life support system"

In the 90's I quit caffeine for a while and drank Postum as a replacement.  There is a lot to be said about the ritual aspect of coffee drinking,because after the headaches went away, I was fine with just the Postum. 

Now I have 2 or 3 cups in the morning usually and maybe some more in social situations.

As far as the memory thing goes, I have mostly needed repetition and iteration to get the memories to stick,and unless I have a discussion with someone about how I am going to forget their name, I forget their name jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
8  al Jizzerror    last year

The US military runs on coffee.

If an enemy ever manages to cut off our supply of coffee; our soldiers will be asleep.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  al Jizzerror @8    last year

Nah...when they wake up they will be meaner than ever

Gordy327
Professor Guide
9  Gordy327    last year

If there's anything in the world better than a good, strong cup if coffee, I don't want to know. Lol

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @9    last year

A good cup of coffee with a piece of good chocolate?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1    last year

Dark chocolate 🍫  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1.1    last year

I'm good with either milk or dark chocolate.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.3  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.2    last year

the south american side of my family likes to stir a spoon of chocolate mix into their coffee.

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.4  CB  replied to  devangelical @9.1.3    last year

I'm thinking those folks of yours might be on to something! I have been learning that "foreigners" have truly interesting and important rituals too!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @9.1.3    last year

I've seen dissolvable chocolate spoons for stirring coffee for sale as novelty items.  Seem like a good idea to me.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1    last year

A really good raspberry jelly

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.7  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.5    last year

they stir in a spoon of hershey's chocolate milk mix.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.1.8  al Jizzerror  replied to  devangelical @9.1.7    last year

I see lots of people adding various things to their coffee.

Butt what do enjoy WITH your coffee?

I like to smoke/vape cannabis with my coffee.

We call it "smoking coffee"

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1.8    last year

Mr G's friend calls it a wake and bake

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.10  CB  replied to  devangelical @9.1.7    last year

Ah! I learned that 'treat-trick' back in the 80's. It is an early version of the "energy drink" which I still use sometimes with Swiss Miss instant chocolate. All this talk about coffee is having an impact on me: Already, I have increased my coffee habit to 1 1/2 cup of coffee a day! :)

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.11  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1.8    last year

You have the most interesting usage for the word, "butt."  As to "smoking coffee" - how does it make you feel? Euphoria? "Normal"?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
9.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.2    last year

Me too. But I tend to lean towards dark. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.1.13  al Jizzerror  replied to  CB @9.1.11    last year
You have the most interesting usage for the word, "butt." 

When Cobalt and I founded ButtHeads Nation on NewsVine I started using "butt" instead of "but".  

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.1.14  al Jizzerror  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1.12    last year
But I tend to lean towards dark. 

Milk chocolate sometimes creates a messy chocolate "slick" in the coffee whereas dark chocolate dissolves without the mess.

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.15  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1.13    last year

Ah, background. Now it all makes sense! Thanks for sharing the "how come."  :) :) :)  Precious Cobalt: "♪ Oh where, oh where, has my Precious Cobalt gone; ♪ oh where, oh where, can she be ♫?

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.16  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1.14    last year

You're right about the 'slick' (and I drink it up too). I didn't know that about dark chocolate though. Thank you. I will give dark chocolate a coffee try, now!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9.1.17  bbl-1  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1.13    last year

I miss the NewsVine.  The features were good, it was more personal.  All of that is lost on the new formats.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @9.1.17    last year

That is a shame since we have tried to make NT technically resemble NV.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9.1.19  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.18    last year

Can't be done.  NV was before the MAGA.  The rules are changed.  A portion of the nation has taken 'the other road'.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.20  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @9.1.19    last year

I was talking about the technology, not the politics.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9.1.21  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.20    last year

Correct.

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.1.22  Thomas  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1.14    last year

Seattle's Best Coffee,  French Roast, with a little stick of dark chocolate served on the side 

...or just give me a double tall mocha 

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.23  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.9    last year

a buzz with a purpose...

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.24  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.6    last year

I used to stop for a DQ chocolate raspberry shake on the way to the nightshift job, when I was trying to add some weight back in the 80's.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.1.25  al Jizzerror  replied to  devangelical @9.1.24    last year
a DQ chocolate raspberry shake

Delicious!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.26  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @9.1.24    last year
when I was trying to add some weight

I hate you.  I mean, I love you, but I hate you.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.27  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.26    last year

I know, right?

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.28  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.26    last year

ice cream is a rarity in my diet now. I cut out all sugar and dropped 40 pounds in 3 months over a decade ago.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.29  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.27    last year

same size levi's as I wore when I was a senior in high school. I'm considering growing my hair down over my shoulders next...

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.30  CB  replied to  devangelical @9.1.28    last year

All sugar? My my my. jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.31  CB  replied to  devangelical @9.1.29    last year

I can still fit my 'school boy' waist size (32), but it's a little tight for someone of my profile now. I don't want to look like I am all 'hot and bothered' in the trousers, so I go for one size larger!

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Gordy327 @9    last year
If there's anything in the world better than a good, strong cup if coffee

A good, strong woman is much better.

CB
Professor Principal
9.2.1  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.2    last year

Okay, I'll go there:  A good, strong man for the inverse! :)  Got nothing against a good, strong woman and don't we all need women in our lives from time to time. . . but, hey!

Gordy327
Professor Guide
9.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.2    last year

One who cam brew/serve a good strong cup of coffee. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2.2    last year

Yes. I like it strong. My dad used to make the weakest coffee. He hated my coffee

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.2.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2.2    last year
One who cam brew/serve a good strong cup of coffee. 

You can also serve a good strong woman.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
9.2.5  Gordy327  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.2.4    last year

Giggity.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2.6  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.3    last year

my granny used to brew coffee that would make your teeth look like baked beans if you drank it. she never cleaned out her electric coffee percolator because she said it would ruin the taste. the family joke was if she ever ran out all you needed to do was add water for a few days. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @9.2.6    last year

Did you ever watch Gunsmoke? Festus never cleaned out the coffee pot. He just kept adding grounds and water

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2.8  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.7    last year

no. I didn't like horse operas where few people got shot and none of the saloon girls put out.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @9.2.8    last year

I watched them all because my parents did. We only had one TV and Dad was in charge

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2.10  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.9    last year

my dad had 1 TV and 3 remotes, me and my 2 sisters...

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2.11  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.7    last year
Festus never cleaned out the coffee pot.

he limped because his pants were too tight, and none of the saloon girls put out...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.2.12  al Jizzerror  replied to  devangelical @9.2.11    last year
none of the saloon girls put out...

Matt Dillon was fucking Miss Kitty.

OTOH, maybe Matt was gay and that's why Chester and Festus walked funny.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2.13  devangelical  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.2.12    last year

well, it was the new frontier...

charger 383
Professor Silent
10  charger 383    last year

I am off the get a large cofee now

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1  devangelical  replied to  charger 383 @10    last year

after that sentence, you really need one...

/s

charger 383
Professor Silent
10.1.1  charger 383  replied to  devangelical @10.1    last year

Still can't find that missing letter F

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.2  devangelical  replied to  charger 383 @10.1.1    last year

I've got a storage building full of them that I use for another word, I'll send you some...

Gordy327
Professor Guide
11  Gordy327    last year

"Coffee is a cup of hope in a world full of Mondays."

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @11    last year

coffee is the last minute commutation of somebody's death sentence...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
12  Hal A. Lujah    last year

Coffee is great, but Starbucks is just idiot juice.  I can’t believe how much people will spend on a cup of coffee when you can easily make it at home and it will taste as good or better.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
12.1  TᵢG  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12    last year

Yes, for the price people are paying they can afford a very good espresso machine and a quality (external) grinder that will last them years with daily use.   They can then purchase Starbucks beans (which IMO are very good) for ~$10/lb (it varies).

We have an espresso station in our home and three of us use it twice daily.   We can make coffee (mostly Lattes) that is actually better than Starbucks (for us) because we can choose our own almond milk and can match (possibly exceed) Starbucks' triple-filtered water with our own.

That said, we will go to Starbucks when on the road and pay their crazy prices because of the convenience of getting a Latte that we like.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
12.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  TᵢG @12.1    last year

I’m fine with a cup of joe dripped through an old Mr. Coffee machine with my favorite creamer.  The Keurig thing needs to die, imo.  Just tastes like the disposable plastic container and that the oils got left in the grounds because the water was forced through it to fast.  If you’re in that much of a hurry you should work on your time management skills.  I reserve my fine palate for craft beer.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12.1.1    last year

I still think the best home coffeemaker I've ever had was a Bunn.  But I had to make at least 4 cups in that, and I like the convenience of making one cup in my Ninja coffeemaker now.  I think that's most of the appeal of a Keurig - the convenience of pods when you only want one cup, not a pot.

Ender
Professor Principal
12.1.3  Ender  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12.1.1    last year

I have a Keurig. I don't want to make a whole pot. It would sit there on the warmer and when it sits to long to me it gets bitter.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.2    last year

do you have  a ninja coffee bar that makes iced coffee and stuff?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.4    last year

Yes.  I rarely make the specialty drinks, but sometimes, I crave one.  I'd rather make them at home because I use less sugar than Starbucks or other places.  Also, it's a 15-20 minute drive one-way for me to Starbucks.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @12.1.3    last year
It would sit there on the warmer and when it sits to long to me it gets bitter.

On the days I do make a whole pot, like weekends, I have a thermal carafe.  I pour the first cup, then empty the rest into the carafe so it doesn't cook on the burner.  I don't like coffee that's been cooked too long, either.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.7  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.5    last year
it's a 15-20 minute drive one-way for me to Starbucks.

geez, you really do live out in the sticks. there's 4 of them within a mile of my condo.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @12.1.7    last year

I live about 6 miles (I think) out of town, and our only Starbucks is on the other side of town.  I've never actually been there.  I'll sometimes get a specialty coffee drink at McDonald's or Sheetz (regional gas station/convenience store chain), but not often.  They're sugar bombs.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.5    last year

I have one but mine quit working.

its weird, it will run a cleaning cycle but won't make coffee any more.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.10  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.6    last year

I've cut back on my coffee intake from 5 years ago. the pot said 12 cups, but it was more like 3.5 in my travel cup. I used my coffee maker as an alarm clock and would slam the 1st cup just to get my legs under me in the morning. then another while I got my shit together to leave for work. then 1 more to take out the door. I'd spend the rest of the morning looking for restrooms. now I maybe drink 1 large coffee per day, $1.40 at mcd's 2 minutes away. I can't do caffeine after 1 or 2pm or I won't want to go to sleep.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.9    last year

My Keurigs all kicked the bucket pretty early, so I won't buy one.

But my Ninja has only given me trouble once.  It wouldn't brew a full cup, so I ran a cleaning cycle.  Same problem.  I ran the cleaning cycle again, and it's worked fine ever since.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @12.1.10    last year

Weekdays, I drink one large mug in the morning with breakfast.  On weekends, I might drink 4 cups, or I might decide to have tea instead.  When it's really hot, I make iced coffee with my breakfast.

Thomas
Masters Guide
12.1.13  Thomas  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.8    last year
They're sugar bombs.

I must be in control of my coffee.  

When I was 14 I worked at Conways Country Store in the bustling hamlet of Wevertown, NY. It had an unpaved parking lot with a dual pump gas station, a full service deli, beer and assorted other items.  The very first thing I learned was how to prepare a "regular" coffee: a spoon of sugar, milk and fill it the rest of the way with coffee. I never could figure out why they had me making the customers coffee for them. ‐\_@_/‐

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
12.1.14  al Jizzerror  replied to  devangelical @12.1.10    last year
I won't want to go to sleep.

I don't need no stinking sleep.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.15  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.8    last year

a starbucks card is an easy gift for my daughter, that I know she actually wants...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @12.1.15    last year

My son goes there reasonably often, for a sugar-bomb sort of drink.

Instead of Starbucks, I try to support my local cafe.  We were a bit worried it might struggle once Starbucks opened, but it seems to be thriving.  Good thing, because they have really good sandwiches and desserts.

Thomas
Masters Guide
12.1.17  Thomas  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.16    last year

I went to a supposed coffee shop one time in Fort Smith, AR. Going through the drive-thru and I made my standard order of a double tall mocha. When I pulled up to the window, the obviously confused person was standing there with two very large cups in her hand.  She opened the slider and asked, "Did you want that in two cups?"

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.18  devangelical  replied to  Thomas @12.1.17    last year

your accent threw her...

Gordy327
Professor Guide
12.2  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12    last year

Nothing beats a good French press when making coffee. Best to grind whole beans for the best freshness. Not to mention the aroma is heavenly.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @12.2    last year

I'd preset my coffee maker to brew 15 minutes before I woke up and the smell would get me out of bed.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.2.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @12.2.1    last year

usually before my alarm went off...

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.2.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @12.2.2    last year

5 decades ago it was a bong on the nightstand, so I guess I've progressed some...

Gordy327
Professor Guide
12.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @12.2.1    last year

The aroma of fresh brewed coffee is the best way to wake up.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.2.5  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @12.2.4    last year

you're telling me, and I'm somebody that doesn't like to get out of bed in the morning...

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.2.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @12.2.5    last year

... any morning.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.3  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12    last year

I have never been in a starbucks.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.3.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @12.3    last year

I won't pay $5 for a cup of coffee...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
12.3.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  devangelical @12.3.1    last year

I had a boss once that went there at least three times a day.  We are engineers, but I swear this guy was the Chris Farley of engineering, specifically the Tommy Boy character.  To make matters worse he was a Trumptard who had QAnon sending him emails all day long.

The only Starbucks I’ve ever purchased from was in a turnpike welcome center whose convenience store was under renovation.  Had to get an expensive and charred up cup of yuck instead of a decent and reasonably priced cup of yum.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12.3.2    last year
he was a Trumptard who had QAnon sending him emails all day long.

it's a cult of hysteria...

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.3.4  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12.3.2    last year
an expensive and charred up cup of yuck instead of a decent and reasonably priced cup of yum.

the south american side of my family isn't impressed with what we call coffee here in the US...

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.3.5  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @12.3.4    last year

... or tea for that matter.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.3.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @12.3.5    last year

the ex and daughter got their coca tea taken from them at airport customs in south america a few years ago. I would've definitely bailed out my daughter...

charger 383
Professor Silent
13  charger 383    last year

I have a coffee maker but it is still in the box, When I retired, I decided to continue going to Sheetz for coffee or I might set around in my underwear half the day plus now I have time to Bullshit with the rest of the old farts. Sheetz got Franke automatic coffee making machines and their coffee is not as good as it used to be but is OK.  I bring my own container and it is $1

charger 383
Professor Silent
14  charger 383    last year

I have not been to the local Starbucks but I just finished half of a sub from the Jersey Mike's beside Starbucks

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @14    last year

I brought home Jersey Mike's for dinner, too.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.1    last year

That is one place we don't have. We have a Jimmy John's, I only ate at once.

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.2  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.1    last year

the one closest to me keeps having issues with the state health dept.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @14.1.2    last year

The one here always has its sandwiches scalding hot, so I don't worry. I don't eat there for lunch, because the sandwich wouldn't have time to cool down enough that melted cheese wouldn't be stuck to the roof of my mouth.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1.4  Ender  replied to  devangelical @14.1.2    last year

We had a Taco Bell that got closed down because they found human feces in the meat...

CB
Professor Principal
14.1.5  CB  replied to  Ender @14.1.4    last year

Oh Uh-uh!  No Sir-No Ma'am! Shut my mouth and call me a cab: I am Out The Door! Good Evening. I'm done for the night! 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
14.1.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  Ender @14.1.4    last year

jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Ender @14.1.4    last year

that's almost an upgrade from their usual fare...

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
15  independent Liberal    last year

The same changes were also noted in people who use cocaine. Coffee is just cheaper and I'm kind of cheap.